2002 Chevrolet Venture Passenger

7.6

Based on 580 Ratings for the 1997 - 2005 models.

10 years 200k+miles and love it

By on Saturday, January 03, 2009

"I've had this minivan since I purchased brand new in 1998. It has been through everything with us. Two kids, all the sport and team hauling you can imagine, a commuter of 60+ miles a day for mom and that's after carpooling kids to school 10 miles in the oppisite direction. Plenty of room for them to jump in and throw their backbacks, sports bags, etc. The comfort in the third row is great for adults and more than sufficent cargo space. I love this van. It has been a dependable work horse for us. One transmission around 160K miles and that's it. Brakes and tires for the most part. It's dated now and I know it's time to give it up......I'm taking a kid in the carpool who used to ride with me in kindergarten...now he's in 10th grade and we're still using it....Love this van"

MONEY PIT!!!

By on Sunday, September 23, 2007

"The problems started at 8K miles with a check engine light - fouled fuel injectors. Then I had moisture in the headlights. Dealer drilled a hole in the housing (brilliant). Headlamps eventually had to be relaced because of the typical clouding of the lens. - $200. Then at 39K miles another check engine light - O2 sensors AND the dealer just HAPPENED to notice the intake manifold gasket was leaking coolant way in the back of the engine. What they didn't tell me was this is a COMMON problem with these 3.4L engines (happens on almost all of them) and I was out of warranty by 3K miles. And my induction system needed cleaning (at 39K miles!) - $1,500. Then, another common GM problem that you'd think they would've fixed by now - the rear brake cylinders leaked and had to be replaced and the drums resufaced - $300. Next, no AC. Leaking condenser - $550. Next, after a progressively louder noise got so bad I could take it, guess what? Bad wheel bearing. But you can't just replace the bearing on this car like it is on most normal cars. You have to replace the entire hub ($135). The halfshaft also had to be replaced along with a tie rod, alignment, etc. - $652. Did I mention about the brake lights? Both sides kept blowing lamps left and right. The lamp got so hot it melted the plastic socket. After cleaning out the melted plastic about 6 different times I finally fixed it for good with a piece of aluminum foil to act as an extra heatsink - no charge but it would've been several hundred to replace the taillight assemblies. Then my wife is left stranded with a van that won't start. After a tow, bad starter relay - $110. Then the final straw! My wife is left stranded again with an overheated van. The shop says the cause of the overheat is unknown but the head gasket blew and now I'm looking at $1,700 in repairs. I arranged a trade with a dealer for a used Honda Odyssey and all I'm getting for the Chevy is enough to cover the repair and what I owe on it. GOOD RIDDANCE!"

Okay BUT...

By on Sunday, December 21, 2008

"We bought this vehicle when it was already 6 yrs old and had 74,000 miles on it so we were not expecting a brand new or relatively new performance. However, we were hoping that we could get a lot of use out of it before the BIG REPAIRS started rolling in. We ended up spending almost $3,000 in repairs and didn't even drive it 30,000 miles before trading it in. THE GOOD- We did like the amount of room that it had. It had supereasy access to the back row where we could easily put carseats and unbuckle our kids. It was pretty roomy and very good on gas mileage, even when loaded with passengers. The trunk space was pretty good and we easily fit more than a week's worth of vacation clothes and items. THE BAD- Everyone has to expect some repairs but NOT THIS MANY in such a short amount of time. Shortly after buying it, we had to completely replace the rear brakes, rotors, and drums. It wasn't that the previously owner let them go too long. We had it checked out. Just one day the brakes were fine and then the next day we heard a horrible grinding noise. Cost $800 4 months later- we noticed the steering wheel was way to the side when we were driving straight so we took it in to get it aligned. Two of the tire rods were damaged, the ABS wheel bearing needed replaced, as did the fuel pump. $900. Then a week later the windshield wipers stayed in the upright position and wouldn't go down. Then they stopped working completely. Had to replaced wiper motor $200. We just saw another van like ours and its windshield wipers were stuck in the air too- we couldn't resist from chuckling A few months later we started hearing a loud noise when accelerating. The manifold had a leak and had to be replaced $500. Air conditioning and heater had a short as did the lights to the control panel. Any time we ran it on the high setting it would shut off and not work. Even though we had the resistor replaced $200, still didn't work correctly and barely heated up or cooled down correctly. We've read reviews about how bad the head gaskets are on this model and a few times when I had the oil changed, the mechanic would ask me about the head gasket because it is such a common replacement on this vehicle. My grandfather has this same year van and had two gaskets blow in a month's time. Each cost $1000 to fix. This would have been a little more reasonable had it been over the life of the vehicle. We only had this van ONLY 2 yrs. and couldn't wait to trade it in before something else went wrong with it. Good van if you are willing to risk having lots of repairs. We got the short end of the straw. Will not ever buy a GM vehicle again. I had a Chevy Lumina the same year and it had similar mainfold problems well before it should have. We traded it in for a Kia and love the new Kia."

Been good for us

By on Saturday, February 22, 2014

Pros: "Good deal"

"We bought the van when it had 30000 miles on it. It now has 220000. Did not have any problems with it till 200000. We drove it for a 3000 trip just a few months ago. It just started to overheat. We are going to either sell or fix. Was at great buy and deal. Paid 10000 and it lasted 7 good years."

One of the most relaible vehicles I have ever owne

By on Saturday, April 21, 2012

Pros: "It handled, plenty power, great gas mileage."

Cons: "The seats could be hard to remove and install."

"My 1999 Venture had 217,000 miles on it when it meant it's demise as a result of an accident and the insurance company totaled it. It was one of the most reliable vehicles that I have ever owned. If General Motors still made them I'd buy another one in a heartbeat."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Venture Passenger near Honolulu. See local deals