2006 Chevrolet Uplander Cargo

6.2

Based on 418 Ratings for the 2005 - 2008 models.

6.5/10
    6.4/10
    6.9/10
    6.8/10
    7.1/10
    7.1/10

Mostly good, but lots of little things

By on Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"We bought one new, loaded with everything but the tow package. We needed space for 5 and at the time it was either a large SUV or this van. I didn't really like the previous model, the Venture, but the Uplander looked really nice. This is the second time we've bought a model during it's first year. I said it before and I promise I mean it this time, but I will never buy a vehicle in it's first year. Our major problem was that we had the "old" 3-year/36K mile warranty. Seems like everything on this vehicle started wearing out and breaking just after that. If we'd had a longer warranty then I probably would grade this vehicle much higher than I have. Paying out of pocket to have all these little things fixed sours my outlook on it. Mechanically the van has been great - never had a problem. Gas mileage is great for a vehicle its size. Comfort is really good, too. Kids love the 2nd row captain's chairs, leather, and definitely the DVD system. This is a great vehicle for long trips. Now for the bad - it's a big vehicle, must be too big for the brakes because it runs through brakes like crazy. Pads probably need changed every 15-20K miles. Front end links were shot after 50K miles. It is kind of noisy - you hear a lot of road and wind noise. Rear wiper motor went out after about 2 years - seems to be a common problem. Unlike a lot of others, we have not had any issues with the automatic doors - they work fine. Our biggest issue has been random electrical gremlins. I've learned to live with them but my wife complains about them nearly every day! Radio controls on the steering wheel don't always work. You push volume up/down and the station changes. You push to change the station and the band changes. Weird stuff - it only seems to happen for 10 minutes or so after the car is started (doesn't matter if hot or cold weather) but after that it straightens out. Other electrical problems include the heated seats. Seems as time has gone on they don't work as well. And now the driver's seat only stays on a few minutes and then turns off. If we didn't need to use this vehicle for daily driving then I might consider holding onto it. It would definitely be a vehicle worth using just for longer trips. Definitely comfortable for 4-5 adults, 6 is pushing it. Easy fit for 2 adults and 3-4 kids plus still room left for some luggage. Ours is getting ready to be paid off and we'll need another daily driver. I'd like something a little more reliable and we'll probably go a little smaller - maybe a mini-SUV. I'm glad the value has stabilized a bit - I'm hoping and looking forward to getting a decent trade-in for it."

Don't buy

By on Friday, April 4, 2008

"We have had this 2006 mini van for 2 years now and it has been a headache, Had a used chrysler town and country and it was not in the shop as many times. We thought we were getting a good deal for the money and thank goodness we purchased the extended warranty otherwise we would be in bigger trouble. Has 41,00 miles on it stalls when turning over however they say there is nothing wrong with it, power outlet has blown 2-3 times, passenger slider rubber molding got tangled and door was near impossible to close in winter of all times, mold trim paint on slider doors has already rusted, needs to have it's brakes done again for the 4th time, steering column needed replaced as well as the front wheel bearings, cup holder in the front has broken twice, horn sensor was bad and seats stain way to easy even with water. My sister has a honda odyssey and just replaced her first set of brakes at 76,000 miles.!!!! We have looked into trading it however appears to have a very low trade in value and would not cover what we still owe. Has not made may feel very comfortable with chevy. Would not recommend it again and would love to trade it if we could."

Very good van

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "reliable, comfortable and nothing fancy"

Cons: "no armrests for middle bucket seats"

"I was not happy with my last Ford van, so I switched to Chevrolet. I bought a used base model of the Uplander and have been very impressed with its performance. We have put about 65,000 miles on it in four years and it has done very well. The only problem we had was a minor suspension repair. Other than that, it's been routine. No problem with alignment- I've never needed one done based on tire wear and report from a trusted GM mechanic. Driver-side door interior panel is a bit loose, but not a problem. I remind myself I have the base model so I can't get upset at not having the additional bells and whistles, but I don't need them anyway. Gas mileage on the highway is from 22 to 24, but I can usually go about 500 miles on a tank. The ride is comfortable, but I'm only 5-foot-nothing. Middle, bucket seats do not have armrests, but, remember, it is the base model. Very, very good van."

worst ever

By on Thursday, September 17, 2009

"Traded in a 2003 Venture for a 2005 Uplander. Could not get the dinging (doors, ABS, etc) to stop - It was in the shop many times over 1 1/2 month. So (OK, I'm an idiot), we traded that for a 2008 Uplander. Bought it 2 months ago used, only 33000 miles. It has been in the shop as much as I've had it. Bearing went first and set off a 4-some of signals. Then it overheated - the fuel-pump went and the head gasket was ruined. When the dealership put the engine back together the rods weren't in correctly and it went back to the shop. I've had it for 2 weeks since and now the transmission is slipping. We found that previously it had a radiator and bearing replaced. It runs with jerks and I don't trust the brakes. The leg room in front is less than ideal for for my husband (only 6 ft) and second row is very tight when front seats are fully back. Can't even fit two cups in the cup-holder without tipping the tops apart. And to boot, the price I paid was 2,000+ the book value. I've had many cars and never a nightmare like this."

pretty good

By on Thursday, January 29, 2009

"I like my van pretty good. I love the way the front end looks how it's so different from all the other mini vans, looks a bit more like a SUV. It drives pretty nice I am not exactly a car person but I think it's pretty good. It's been reliable, for us anyway. I have had for 3 years now, and we have never had any problems with it always starts right up.we drove it back and forth from Idaho to Washington a couple times. Then we also drove it from Idaho to Washington then to California all with no problems. I do have some problems with the drivers sliding door not wanting to unlock which makes it so we can't open it but we have figured a way atound it (I think it's just a lose wire or something). My kids love the dvd player. We don't like how expensive it is to get new headphones for it but I think i have found some cheaper ones on ebay though i haven't bought them yet to see if they work. All in all we like our van."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Uplander Cargo near Honolulu. See local deals