1996 Chevrolet Tahoe

Based on 404 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

for what it's worth

By on Sunday, February 15, 2009

"had the truck 4 years...got the job done for the price.....80,000 -new tranny and intake gasket. From 110,000 to 130,000....lots of stuff needed replaced other than the usual plugs, wires, cap, filters O2 sesors ect, *master cylinder and booster, abs (hubs), fuel injector system (snake), fuel pump and those little annoying electrical issues. Put it this way....buying one with over 80k, make sure to keep aside about 1000 a year to keep it up. if it wasn't for this...i'd have one till they covert to alt. fuel."

97 tahoe

By on Saturday, March 22, 2008

"great truck, what ever you want to do you can do it, and you will be amazed at what a truck of this size can do. on the highway, from 50 to 70 or going off road. i have had my tahoe for now 7 years i am pressing 160000 miles and its still a trooper. i have had only one problem with it and that is the fuel pump. i have changed it 2ce i the last 7 years. but the one main point intodays world is that it gets not so much good mpg but to me it is worth it."

Affordable luxury ride

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"Our Tahoe has been one of our best purchases. We're the second owner, but have had it since it was 18 months old. Nearly everything has been a dream! Of course you don't buy a full-sized SUV to economize on fuel! I think our overall average fuel consumption has been around 13-14 mpg. In town we'd be on the low end of that. Mechanical Issues: (1)Very shortly after purchasing in '01 we had to have the fuel pump (in the gas tank) replaced. Unfortunately, that's VERY common on GM trucks from that general period! (I had the same issue on SEVERAL 1500's and S-10's in the fleet I managed at work.) It's a pain, but not terribly expensive. (2)The cruise control quit working a couple of years ago. While it's probably a fuse, I never tracked down the problem or solution. My wife's the primary driver and never used it, so she didn't care."

Still Going!!!

By on Monday, September 24, 2007

"I bought my 99 Tahoe in 2002 with 98,000 miles on it. Its now Sept. 2007 and has 190,000 miles on it. Nothing but routine maintanence. No oil burning, still gets 15 to 18 mpg. Plenty of power to pull trailers. Comfortable ride and interior. I don't think the newer tahoes can replace this vehicle."

versatile vehicle

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"Good vehicle if you need versatility. Ours tows well, suits business and family purposes, travels distances comfortably. At nearly 100k miles, still has good power, no probs with trans. engine, or 4x4 syst. Only complaint is touchy alignment issues since we bought it new-- in 99."

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

nice ride

By on Saturday, July 28, 2007

"i just bought a 97 tahoe with 80k miles in great shape wouldnt trade it for the world leather seats are so comfortable its unbeleivable i thought i would not like them but i sure do like my truck the 350 runs as quit as new and performs just as new the four wheel drive works great even though its little electric buttons instead of a lever on the floor but it looks alot better than the lever taking up space on the floor... all the other options are well worth the money"

A few minor issues

By on Sunday, December 14, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable ride"

Cons: "Terrible fuel economy"

"I only bought this vehicle 2 months ago from a local "private" dealer. When I buy a used vehicle, I already go in knowing to expect some issues. So far, I've had to get a 4 wheel alignment done and the inspection of the vehicle found that the fuel gauge needs to be replaced (not the float), brake fluid and power steering fluids are dirty and need to be flushed and bled, and the rear drum brakes need a manual adjustment. Not so bad since I only paid $2600 for it. Fact is that I NEED something tall like this as I have a very bad back and getting in and out of a regular car is too difficult.This is perfect for that, and the seat heaters are nice to have as well. I used to own a 2005 Grand Prix and loved it, but it was just killing me getting in and out of it and long drives were murder on my back. While I know I have some things to fix here, for now, I can at least calculate my mileage using the proper methods, so I won't run out of fuel. UNFORTUNATELY, I find that I only get about 10mpg city and about 13mpg on the highway. Not great mileage,so I thank God that gas prices are at a major low right now. Only $2.69 in my area. Still, with a 30 Gal tank, you can figure how much it costs to drive. I really only use it for trips to the store or to take my daughter and her husband to work. Overall, a decent truck for the cost."

best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Sunday, December 07, 2014

"Had since 2000 no problems still going. Great Vehical"

Awesome. Car.

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

"Horrible gas mileage. Amazing ride, amazing stereo, more than comfortable."

I love my truck!

By on Monday, August 27, 2012

Pros: "4 wheel drive, lots of room, dependable"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"SO dependable! I even hit a deer and smashed up the whole grill and it still ran like a champ! Only negative thing about this is the gas mileage, but due to the year and engine that can;t be helped."

a graet truck

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

"i love my truck its never let me down and for a 5.7 awsome on gas it would be very hard for me to ever sell my tahoe"

Best car i have ever owned!

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "4WD sound system, great engine"

Cons: "only 2 injectors, needs more power"

"This is the first truck i bought. and i love it. Very reliable just normal replacement parts. Never died on me, never was on the side of the road stuck. I will drive this truck till there is nothing left. The body will rust before the small block 350 stops."

Great for family and towing

By on Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pros: "Easy to find, cheap parts"

Cons: "Front cupholder is in a bad location"

"The vortec 5.7 is a great engine with good power and is very reliable. I like the tahoe over the suburban because it has a shorter wheel base which makes turning easier and when we go four wheeling , it doesn't get hung up on rocks as much. I also really like the auto 4x4 feature"

I love this truck. No new age plastic!

By on Sunday, December 11, 2011

Pros: "good solid truck for the money"

"1998 was one of the last years for solid built trucks. I don't care for the newer trucks with all the plastic parts on the outside. The Tahoe is a workhorse that gets the job done with regular maintence will last for a lifetime!"

I love this vehicle

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

"I've owned this vehicle for over ten years and have over 200k miles on it. I've replaced 2 fuel pumps and 1 tranny. It still looks and run like new. It is a beast! I love it! It is the best vehicle i have ever owned."

Love it

By on Sunday, April 24, 2011

"Awesome tow SUV. Great ride, can travel in it all day!"

Comfortable, safe

By on Saturday, November 20, 2010

"I drove one for 10 years. A great vehicle."

Wish Tahoes Were Still Made Like This

By on Monday, September 06, 2010

"This truck has been in our family since it was new in 1997. It has almost 180000 miles on it now and is still rolling along. The paint is finally starting to fall off but this is normal even with it receiving lots of TLC over the years. No rust except on the frame and it is only cosmetic. Engine is still solid and the transmission and transfer case still feel like they still have a lot of life left in them. This is a real SUV unlike most of the ones being made today. It is definitely able to handle snow and mud unlike some of the new ones today. I wish Chevy still made them like this today. I even like the body styling on this better than the new ones. Not bad gas mileage for 5.7L V8 either. Almost 20mpg running 75mph on the highway. It has been a pretty reliable ride over the years too. It's been through a few fuel pumps and lines and the AC had to be replaced but other than that nothing major has gone wrong. I've been told that fuel system problems are a failing common to these trucks along with steering sensor failure. It does seem to eat through them about every 40,000 miles or so. The last time I just unhooked it and have been driving it without one. If they were to make this truck brand new again I would be the first in line to buy one."

GREAT RIDE

By on Friday, May 08, 2009

"The only complaint I have, and seems to be true with all Chevrolet engines (during this period), is the Intake Manifold gaskets are cheap and have to be replaced. Mine was at 63k. Other than that, this is a well built and dependable ride. The comfort is well worth the exchange of fuel economy (13 mpg). Fully loaded w/ leather, you'll LOVE IT!!"

Solid SUV

By on Saturday, November 01, 2008

"Big and roomy with a solid engine. I've enjoyed owning this SUV for the last 12 years and even though I can easily afford a new vehicle I think I'll stay with it. Only real problem I've had is the transmission died at 40k. Since then it has been reliable and fun to drive."

good truck but lots of problems with this

By on Saturday, October 25, 2008

"shift cable,fuel pump,radiater,gear selector,manifold gaskets,air conditioner,inside and outside door handles,brake booster,2brake lines + regular maintence=$6,890 in last year all done by gm dealer"

Solid Truck

By on Saturday, October 18, 2008

"I've had no problems. Love the 4x4 system, works great. I've slightly modified it with dual exhaust, K&N filter and reprogrammed the chip, and now get 18 mpgh with power to burn"

Great Truck

By on Wednesday, October 17, 2007

"I have owned a 6.5 Diesel Tahoe for 7 years. It has been a great vehicle for me. The only problem is the injector pump. I have replaced it 4 times. Other than that, it has been very reliable. I would buy another Tahoe in a heartbeat."

99 Yahoe

By on Sunday, September 30, 2007

"Solid and reliable vehicle since buying it new in 1999. Only complaint is needing three waterpumps over the course of 8 years. Exhaust has not been touched in 115k miles and sounds like new. Excellent vehicle to own."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Tahoe near Honolulu. See local deals