1996 Chevrolet Tahoe

Based on 390 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Does it all reliably and comfortably"

Cons: "Needs 4 wheel disc brakes."

"I bought this as a"program" vehicle in 1999. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. My only complaints have been the variable power assisting the steering and the brakes could be a bit stronger. However, I have been able to easily address both of these. Chevy bypass kit for the steering issue, and slotted and vented rotors for the brakes. I still take this on road trips all over the southwest. It rides better than the Lincoln's and BMWs that are my "daily drivers". Easily 40,000 miles have been towing heavy scout trailers, bass boat and now tot box trailer. It never complains. Gas mileage isn't great, but the thing weighs 5,200 lbs. Considering that, my average of 14 mpg doesn't seem too bad. Now considering a 2015, but hate to give up an old friend!"

Best Vehicle Ive Ever Owned Thus Far

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Pros: "Great Vehicle"

Cons: "Cup Holders In Front of A/C Vents"

"No complaints whatsoever"

Most dependable vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pros: "Everything - handling, dependability, comfortable."

Cons: "Only gas mileage. All else is +++++."

"I am the second owner of this truck, getting it at about 30,000 miles. I am happy to say, it is one of the safest and dependable vehicles I have ever had the pleasure to drive. I've kept up with all the vehicle maintenance (this is a must) and have driven this car on many trips to other states without any problems. I see so many of these older trucks on the road, so I know they are great vehicles. Would recommend this one to anyone looking for an older "ride" that really checks every box. Rear air, good a/c, great stereo. Only drawback is gas mileage. V-8 engine is really peppy but gas mileage isn't the greatest. Still, I love this truck!"

The best thing ive ever owned

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

Cons: "not the best on gas but i have 33 so pretty good"

My chevys

"i have a 97 lt 4x4 with 33 x 11.50 s tvs led tail lights subs been one of the most dependable things i ever owned only change the oil and breaks once in almost 2 years had 224000 when i got it and now has 236 no problems runs great Alot of power?? (vortec 350) 4x4 is great with the m/t tires has alot of room just alot around great truck my kids love it"

My chevys

Can't beat it.

By on Saturday, February 22, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive for a large vehicle"

Cons: "Only one useable cupholder in the car"

"This is by far the most reliable car I've ever had. It has kept my faith in GM (and I've had some of their stinkers). This Tahoe is easy to drive, comfortable and still looks good after 15 years. I will drive it until the wheels fall off, which will be awhile."

a good vehicle,dependable and reliable

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

Pros: "easy to drive/park great size handles well"

Cons: "needs rear ac."

"I have driven this truck for 300,000 miles and have never regretted buying it.it served as family car, work truck and vacation vehicle. always starts, it has never left me stranded. just service and normal maint. has been all it required through its time with me. when tuned it gets aprox 19.8 mpg on the road ,not bad for a vehicle this size.it needs a rear ac system as the single dash unit struggles to cool it on hot summer days but that is the only complaint I have."

Love the 2 door full size SUV

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Handles great. Plenty of towing capacity"

Cons: "Would like bigger brakes"

"The full size 2 door with the 6.5 turbo diesel and 4 wheel drive is a tough truck to beat!! The interior is comfortable for long trips on the highways and weekends camping or driving on the beach. I've driven through 2 feet of snow without any issues. With a 30 gallon fuel tank and almost 20 MPG I can cruise at 75 MPH for 500 miles between fill ups."

only thing about this vehicle is the 4 wheel drive

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

Pros: "roomy barn doors are awesome gas impressed me"

Cons: "4x4"

"but all in all a wonderful ride i still think the dodge durango has a better 4x4 system stereo system is awesome too"

Best vehicle I ever owned

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pros: "Great value , safe , roomy"

Cons: "Gas mileage could be better"

"Like a trusty pocketknife or comfortable pair of shoes it always fits , bought new when my son was born , he will now be driving this and we all feel this truck is part of the family. Have had Shelbys, Caddies , and scores of other cars , but this one can fill any bill . Best investment on a vehicle ever made ."

Will miss driving my Tahoe!

By on Saturday, November 09, 2013

Pros: "See above"

Cons: "Gas mileage could be improved"

"Always felt secure with its' performance. Reliable, dependable, comforable."

Just can't part with it

By on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, Reliability, styling, utility"

Cons: "Fuel mileage isn't stellar"

"Our 99 2 door Tahoe Sport is the best running and most comfortable vehicle we have ever had in our family. It has always run perfectly and problems have typically been minor. The problems we have experienced are seemingly common: power lock mechanisms get "weak" and have to be replaced (under $100.00), several of the guages on the instrument cluster stopped working ($75.00 to rebuild), The driver side catalytic converter triggered an SES light ($150 to replace both with aftermarket units), AC compressor leaked ($200.00), and the pitman/idler arms needed to be replaced from normal wear ($200.00). Other than that, everything else has been general maintenance. We installed a lift kit and aftermarket wheels/tires. They look awesome. Pulls a 22' boat with no problem. Cruises on the highway with no problem. Handles offroad situations in 4WD with no problem. A friend of our family has an identical vehicle with almost 400k miles on it and it runs just as smoothly as ours. Truly like a rock."

its a chevy

By on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pros: "chevy, fun, tons of options for them, good price"

Cons: "none!"

"I was just in a major car wreck the other day and the guy that hit me totaled his truck(ford) go figure. i walked away with not a scartch. all i had was a little bump in my finder and my tow hitch jacked up. besides that i was able to continue driving it daily. i love this truck and will never get read of it! so the saftey of the car is awesome! to continue, the power has lessened since 100k miles but thats not bad. love love love my truck!"

Awesome. Car.

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

"Horrible gas mileage. Amazing ride, amazing stereo, more than comfortable."

this is the best truck i have owned

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

Pros: "very dependable"

Cons: "has no cons"

"I would recommend this to and one who wants a Tahoe I bought this in 2004 with 50,000 miles and have put 350,000 miles on it and it steel runs unbelievable excellent the only thing I have done is the usual stuff like new tires and other stuff and I rebuilt the motor and trans but it still has lots of power left and if your looking for some other truck I would consider getting a Gmc or Chevy truck 1996 or newer with a 5.7 v8 vortec or if you want good gas mileage I would get a 5.3 v8 the 4.3 v6 is a good motor but does not have much power if you do a lot of towing like I do but it gets great gas mileage if you like throttle body's I would get a 1995 because that was the best year for that motor and a 1998 0r 99 was the best years for the vortec"

amazing truck

By on Friday, May 10, 2013

Pros: "awesome power, great for towing"

Cons: "the door handles break easily, gas guzzler"

"I love this truck, its dependable, clean and flat out awesome. Runs like a champ even after 200,000 miles."

Love My Truck

By on Friday, May 03, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, easy to drive"

Cons: "Cup holder in front of AC/heat vent;"

"I have been the only owner/driver of this vehicle. Original engine w/410000 miles - shooting to hit 500000!! This truck is not replaceable!! Wish they still made this truck with the same engine!!"

The Sherman Tank

By on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pros: "POWER,Comfort,Super Smooth ride"

Cons: "Cup holder infront of heater and door handles"

"We love our tank! I have hit poles and bounced off them and did more damage to the poles instead of our tank... So safe and it is awesome in the snow(who needs a plow?) You feel like you are floating... like a big "caddy". I will drive it till the day it dies,and that will be a very hard day. What vehicle could EVER compare?"

Never getting rid of it!

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pros: "Good offroad, high quality materials,well equipped"

Cons: "Mileage"

"I have owned my 2 Door tahoe for almost 7 years and absolutely love it. I'm 23, so it was my first vehicle. It had 168,000 on it when I bought it. I took it to a local Chevrolet service center and they told me it needed shocks, plugs, wires, brakes, etc. They told me how much it would cost me in parts and what it would cost me in labor for the things I could not do myself. So, with that in mind, I bought it, replaced everything they said needed replaced on it, and it cost me almost exactly what they said it would. After that, it drove amazing, considering the suspension, brakes, engine components, and all other performance parts were replaced. I drove it approximately 150 miles every weekend to and from college and it rarely gave me any trouble....and I mean rarely (1-2 times). I have never touched the engine itself or the transmission. It is a beast when it comes to pulling too! I don't pull too often but it doesn't disappoint when the time arises. I have pulled my grandpa's kubota tractor on 16 foot flatbed in 10+ inches of snow and it never spun a wheel. It will go 70 down the highway in a straight line every time. If it didn't say 218,000 on the odometer, you would think it had 50,000 miles on it. There is plenty of cargo room, leg room, head room, shoulder room, etc. The four wheel drive is one of the best 4wd systems out there. I have pulled multiple people out in severe weather and RARELY have been "momentarily detained." It is 18 years old and has zero rust, minus the bottom of the rear doors on the inside. I trust it a lot more than my honda to take a trip in. Ok, the gas mileage isn't the best (12-13 mpg), but it is a full-size four wheel drive SUV. There is so much room when the rear seat is folded down. The crazy part is it almost folds flat AND the rear passengers aren't licking their kneecaps when the seat is up! There are four cup holders for the rear passengers alone...ha. The ones above the glovebox are not realistic when the vehicle is in motion, but there are 2-3 other good cupholders for the front passengers. I almost can't say anything bad about it. If you take care of them and do preventative maintenance, not using the cheapest oil, and always looking at your gauges when you drive, you will get so much enjoyment and many many miles out of your tahoe! This is the 4th or 5th one in my family and we absolutely love them (and the suburban). I highly recommend this to anyone who is needing reliable transportation with a touch of workhorse, power, and rigidity."

Love my Tahoe

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pros: "Fun, Sleek, Comfortable"

Cons: "Gas mileage..."

"I purchased my 2 door sport Tahoe with 90,000 miles for $7000 and it was definitely worth it. It's stylish, capable of offroading (take it on the beach often), and has a comfortable interior. Just wish it got about 10 more miles per gallon, but hey it's worth it."

LOVE IT!!!!

By on Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pros: "good horse power, torque"

Cons: "transfercase broke even my buddys 96 chevy z71 did"

"I am a proud owner of a 1996 chevy tahoe lt. My most favorite thing about it is that it gets you from point a to point b. The least thing is GAS!!!! The way our economy is right now its ard to buy gas for a SUV that only get 13 to 16 miles to a gallon but i love it."

roomy, dependable, comfortable, and safe

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pros: "american"

Cons: "oil companies make it hard to own this vehicle"

"I carry a full size drumset in my tahoe. I needed four wheel drive for the Ohio winters and late night gigs. This is the perfect vehicle for me.Nothing smaller would do the job."

290000 + miles orig owner

By on Friday, September 07, 2012

Pros: "Everything: 15 +/- MPG is great for this SUV"

"1999 Tahoe 4x4 4 door. Tune up & New Trans at 120k, New fuel pump & alternator @ 225k. Reliable, safe, dependable, average 15 mpg since day 1. Follow maintenance schedule & best vehicle you can own"

I love my truck!

By on Monday, August 27, 2012

Pros: "4 wheel drive, lots of room, dependable"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"SO dependable! I even hit a deer and smashed up the whole grill and it still ran like a champ! Only negative thing about this is the gas mileage, but due to the year and engine that can;t be helped."

a graet truck

By on Thursday, August 23, 2012

"i love my truck its never let me down and for a 5.7 awsome on gas it would be very hard for me to ever sell my tahoe"

Love My Truck

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Pros: "Very roomy and great in the snow"

Cons: "Gas mieage is harsh"

"I never owned a Chevy before but my Tahoe has been a wonderful truck. The interior is extremely roomy and very comfortable. I can put all three of my boys, two of which are over 6' and over 200 pds, in the back seat with plenty of room. It is an absolute BEAST in the snow. I would never let it go except for the gas mileage. 13.5 hurts and these days I don't need a vehicle that will hold 5 people anymore. Overall I have loved this truck and will miss it."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Tahoe near Honolulu. See local deals