1997 Chevrolet Suburban 2500

Based on 445 Ratings for the 1992 - 1999 models.

Old Whitey!!! He's still laying down the miles!!

By on Saturday, December 7, 2013

Pros: "Dependability & smooth ride!!!"

Cons: "None for me, but MPG would be for most."

"Old Whitey is w/o a doubt the best vehicle I've ever owned!! Recently, Old Whitey and I clicked off another hundred grand for the fourth time, see attached photo! Today (December 7th 2013) Old Whitey rolled over 403,000.00 miles. It has all original running gear. Over the years my boy and I have provided general maintenance. Every 2500 miles we change oil with Rotella 15W40 and AC1218 filter. It's driven with a light foot, but once weekly Old Whitey and I push the pedal down and clean out any cobs that might have been building up. Recently, on a trip Old Whitey pulled off 16.25 mpg – The best we’ve ever got. Overall, I wouldn't trade Old Whitey for a brand new rig, not in a million years!"

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pros: "Handles bad weather, tows with ease, super comfort"

Cons: "A few more MPG please"

"When Chevrolet engineered this vehicle, they got it right. The comparably short wheel base and power options make it a formidable tow rig, and the exemplary comfort of the leather-appointed cabin and tinted windows, remarkable sound system and third row of seats make it a great people-hauler too, while still having enough cargo space in the back to carry a lot of extra stuff. Unlike most SUVs, this is not a station wagon, as it can haul an easy 5000 pounds without missing a beat. I have had mine for 7 years, putting more than 190,000 miles on it, with occasional wear-related repairs. The average cost of ownership has been vastly less than a boxy, poor-handling newer car would be. Other cars have come in and out of my life since I bought The Beast (as it's known), and with the only exception being a Cadillac STS, it has outpaced all of them in terms of comfort. In fact, it is more comfortable than the low-slung Caddy seats were, and has taken use without complaint, unlike the same Caddy. It's practical, good-looking, comfortable, and fun to drive. It handles Vermont's worst winter weather like a champ (I do mount studded snow tires) and cruises reasonably easily over our rutted dirt roads, too. Last but not least I have to mention its fuel economy (stop laughing). My truck gets approximately 16.5 miles per gallon, respectable for any larger vehicle, particularly when taken into account the fact that GM predicted 13-15 for a brand new Suburban 1500. And the EPA actually says its emissions are reasonable, and far less than a lot of newer vehicles with smaller engines. How do I love my Suburban? Let me count the ways."

Fantastic surprise

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Fast, fun, well built, reliable, comfortable, safe"

Cons: "Doesn't exactly sip fuel"

"Love it. Bought it on a desperate mission to replace my stolen minivan one day (5 kids), and this is what I could afford for cash. With over 150k miles, my expectations were not great. 3 years later, I love this gentle giant. Fun to drive and very reliable! My kids like riding in the big Chevy as a macho alternative to the Honda odyssey. The 7.4L has a sweet note, and propels the behemoth like a muscle car! It takes corners with grace and secure handling, and stops without drama. Repairs? Like none but minor issues. Sounds too good to be true? Believe me, they are value-priced and are worth a look, especially if you can find the 454 and aren't on a tight fuel budget."

Owned since new.

By on Monday, September 3, 2012

Pros: "Pulls my boat and camping gear with all three kids"

Cons: "Gas mileage,Gas Mileage, Gas mileage"

"Least serviced American car I owned. Chevrolet has come a long way on quality and comfort. Still going stong in 2012!"

indestructable

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"235000 on eng&trans, stiil runs good and looks good,19 city,24 highway, yes that is correct,after market parts work better.anything is possiable.luv my sub"