1996 Chevrolet Suburban 2500

Based on 438 Ratings for the 1988 - 1999 models.

291,000 miles, extremely reliable

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable seating, reliabilty, durability"

Cons: "Low mpg, no CD player,"

"My 1993 Chevrolet Suburban has been extremely faithful and reliable. We have replaced the transmission and air conditioning once with other minor repairs along the way to the current 291000 miles. The radio, cassette player, gas gauge,and clock have shorted out or broken, and after some years some of the interior components such as knobs and door sidings can come loose, but nothing that a little effort and/or a little money couldn't fix easily. I highly recommend this vehicle as a family SUV. The entire exterior is steel and extremely durable and safe. The mpg is the area in which this vehicle fails. With gas price at 3.79 per gallon and a 42 gallon gas tank, it can take up wards of $140 to fill the tank from completely empty. Of course, the range is close to 500 miles with 10-14 mpg (rough estimate). I have loved this SUV and will miss it dearly when I sell it or it finally decides to die for good. A good solid work truck with massive interior space for covered hauling once the back bench is removed and the middle seats folded down. Though mpg will cost you, this SUV can't be beat for reliability and comfort. Also, because of the size of the engine compartment, it is relatively easy to make minor repairs and do basic maintenance without removing major engine components in order to reach other area of the engine."

Old Whitey!!! He's still laying down the miles!!

By on Saturday, December 07, 2013

Pros: "Dependability & smooth ride!!!"

Cons: "None for me, but MPG would be for most."

"Old Whitey is w/o a doubt the best vehicle I've ever owned!! Recently, Old Whitey and I clicked off another hundred grand for the fourth time, see attached photo! Today (December 7th 2013) Old Whitey rolled over 403,000.00 miles. It has all original running gear. Over the years my boy and I have provided general maintenance. Every 2500 miles we change oil with Rotella 15W40 and AC1218 filter. It's driven with a light foot, but once weekly Old Whitey and I push the pedal down and clean out any cobs that might have been building up. Recently, on a trip Old Whitey pulled off 16.25 mpg – The best we’ve ever got. Overall, I wouldn't trade Old Whitey for a brand new rig, not in a million years!"

Reliability & comfort and able to tow it all!

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, low cost of ownership. A capable 4X4"

Cons: "It's big and milage isn't the greatest."

"I ordered my 1997 Suburban new from the factory and have had it for 17 years now. Original engine, transmission, transfer case, drive train, etc. and it still has the original stainless steel (factory) exhaust system without rust or holes in it! This has been a workhorse that can go long distances without stopping nor worrying about passenger comfort. We regularly made trips from VT to IL with minimal stops (rest rooms) and once for fuel, with the 42 Gallon gas tank. It carries 7 and all their luggage and other stuff with ease. I requested that all the pre-filled fluids be synthetic and I've always used Mobil 1 oil in it, and it really makes a difference, in my opinion and experience. I get 18 to 19+/- mpg on the highway, if you keep it at 65 mph. Still looks and runs like new and I've only had to replace common wear items, brakes, tires, the drive belt. The belt tensioner failed about a month ago and that was a $48 part that took 10- minutes to replace myself. I did install new front brake rotors at 100k, but the rear drums are still OK. Other than that, this thing has been a beast with reliability that has, frankly, surprised me - it just keeps going! If Chevy didn't have a new design every 5-7 years, you'd think this was still a new SUV. I've run this up some backwoods roads and steep hills and never gotten it stuck, which is good, as the weight is enough that it would be difficult to get out otherwise. The A/C only needed a "top off" on the Freon this past Summer, and still blows so cold my wife keeps a blanket onboard for when we travel (I like it cold, she prefers it a little less cold). In the snow, it's a tank and I've never feared driving in the worst weather, but growing up in New England you learned to drive in the snow or you stayed home a lot! If the new ones weren't over $65K I'd probably buy another new one, but without the need for all the extra space and cargo capacity, this is likely our last Suburban, unless we win the lottery!"

Good vehicle for larger family!

By on Thursday, June 07, 2012

Pros: "Good for large family and few repairs!"

Cons: "Poor gas milage and not a lot of leg room."

"We have had our Suburban for awhile and have only had to do minor repairs. It is a 1993 with nearly 300,000 miles on it! The only problem we have had with it is that my daughter is taller and has some issues with long rides in it as far as leg room goes with the bench seats. We love it because our family of 7 can ride in it and a friend can even come along. The gas milage is better than what it says in the blue book for us, we can get as much as 17mpg on the highway. We know it isn't very good milage but to us it is made up for by the low repair costs we have had."

Great Suburban

By on Monday, May 24, 2010

"Bought my 95 new and is easily the best vehicle I've ever had. Regular maintenance is a must and so far have had no grief from the engine or power train. Had to replace the muffler and rear pipe after 12 years. Most of the electric door locks have died but got used ones from a yard at 10 dlls each. Takes about an hour to replace each actuator. Door pins wear out but I hammer shims under the pins to keep the doors hanging straight. Replaced the brakes twice in 16 years but got to them before they ate the rotors or drums so brakes are like new. Water pump blew a seal but replaced that with a rebuilt. Radiator used to blow it's endcap in hot weather but got a premium quality radiator and now the radiator has not split in 8 years. Yes the dash has fallen off but it's easy to mount again with washers and good glue. The wiper motor used to be intermittent but soldering the contact pins firmly to the board inside the unit fixes that. Yes the plastic stuff on the dash falls apart but either glue them back together or scrounge the yards for replacements. Use touch up paint on the stone chips and the body stays in surprisingly good shape. I have driven this vehicle to the four corners of the continent and it has never let me down. It is a great hauler. The mileage suffers if you want to drive it faster than 65 but it will get decent mileage at 60. The 42 gallon tank can cause real sticker shock at the pumps. I only fill it to half tank in normal usage and only top it off on longer trips. Regular oil changes in the engine and transmission has made this vehicle a keeper."

Great choice for SUV

By on Monday, July 23, 2012

Pros: "Everything about it."

Cons: "nothing I have found."

"I love it,it has room and is comfortable to travel in. If you don't have big over sized tires and use high octane the gas mileage is great. I have had it for a long time and it's worth more to me than book value."

Rough, but Loveable

By on Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"Well, I've been looking at Suburbans now for a long time. Trying to decide which body style I like, what features that I want...etc. I came to like the late 90's body style the best, I think it describes what it really is. A BIG BEASTLY TRUCK. I traded my '95 Sierra Pick-Up for the Suburban, due to a workplace injury that made it difficult to drive the GMC(It was a manual). I've wanted a Suburban since I was a little boy. I can't really explain why, but it just looks so cool. Both sides of my family have owned them in the past, and they just plain come in handy. Whether you need to haul a lot of people, or stuff, or both, this is definitely the vehicle. I bought a 1997 Chevy Suburban with 152,000 miles on it. After reading ALL of the owner reviews on this website, I knew my decision would be a good one. When I bought it, the rear-view mirror, headlamp switch, and rear climate-controls were all broken off, but I made the dealer fix all of those problems. I knew to look past those and take what's important into consideration: engine, transmission, transfer case, and electronics. Those all run absolutely perfect. I even get about 19MPG, no joke!! That's with combined driving. Make sure if you buy one, especially one of the older ones, take it to a mechanic you trust. I looked at about 12 before I decided on this one. I think this was the highlight of GM's design and engineering. No other truck or 'Ute comes even close. I'm a permanent Suburban owner/driver now."

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pros: "Handles bad weather, tows with ease, super comfort"

Cons: "A few more MPG please"

"When Chevrolet engineered this vehicle, they got it right. The comparably short wheel base and power options make it a formidable tow rig, and the exemplary comfort of the leather-appointed cabin and tinted windows, remarkable sound system and third row of seats make it a great people-hauler too, while still having enough cargo space in the back to carry a lot of extra stuff. Unlike most SUVs, this is not a station wagon, as it can haul an easy 5000 pounds without missing a beat. I have had mine for 7 years, putting more than 190,000 miles on it, with occasional wear-related repairs. The average cost of ownership has been vastly less than a boxy, poor-handling newer car would be. Other cars have come in and out of my life since I bought The Beast (as it's known), and with the only exception being a Cadillac STS, it has outpaced all of them in terms of comfort. In fact, it is more comfortable than the low-slung Caddy seats were, and has taken use without complaint, unlike the same Caddy. It's practical, good-looking, comfortable, and fun to drive. It handles Vermont's worst winter weather like a champ (I do mount studded snow tires) and cruises reasonably easily over our rutted dirt roads, too. Last but not least I have to mention its fuel economy (stop laughing). My truck gets approximately 16.5 miles per gallon, respectable for any larger vehicle, particularly when taken into account the fact that GM predicted 13-15 for a brand new Suburban 1500. And the EPA actually says its emissions are reasonable, and far less than a lot of newer vehicles with smaller engines. How do I love my Suburban? Let me count the ways."

Fantastic surprise

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Fast, fun, well built, reliable, comfortable, safe"

Cons: "Doesn't exactly sip fuel"

"Love it. Bought it on a desperate mission to replace my stolen minivan one day (5 kids), and this is what I could afford for cash. With over 150k miles, my expectations were not great. 3 years later, I love this gentle giant. Fun to drive and very reliable! My kids like riding in the big Chevy as a macho alternative to the Honda odyssey. The 7.4L has a sweet note, and propels the behemoth like a muscle car! It takes corners with grace and secure handling, and stops without drama. Repairs? Like none but minor issues. Sounds too good to be true? Believe me, they are value-priced and are worth a look, especially if you can find the 454 and aren't on a tight fuel budget."

love at first sight

By on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pros: "comfortable, size, look"

Cons: "gas, a/c not well circulated"

"This vehicle has NEVER let me down. I've never been stuck in the mud or ANYTHING! if you buy this vehicle you will not regret it. Its great for a first car for anybody or a great family vehicle. I love the rode trips in my 'burban. nobody is cramped, so your hear no complaining just laughter the whole trip. My speedometer is only off by 10. "Betsy", has never left me stranded. Also when my a/c went out and i had to convert it to R-134 it took a lot of freon and my 'burban is still not well circulated but it does get cold in the front not in the back."