1994 Chevrolet Suburban 2500

Based on 430 Ratings for the 1988 - 1999 models.

Reliability & comfort and able to tow it all!

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, low cost of ownership. A capable 4X4"

Cons: "It's big and milage isn't the greatest."

"I ordered my 1997 Suburban new from the factory and have had it for 17 years now. Original engine, transmission, transfer case, drive train, etc. and it still has the original stainless steel (factory) exhaust system without rust or holes in it! This has been a workhorse that can go long distances without stopping nor worrying about passenger comfort. We regularly made trips from VT to IL with minimal stops (rest rooms) and once for fuel, with the 42 Gallon gas tank. It carries 7 and all their luggage and other stuff with ease. I requested that all the pre-filled fluids be synthetic and I've always used Mobil 1 oil in it, and it really makes a difference, in my opinion and experience. I get 18 to 19+/- mpg on the highway, if you keep it at 65 mph. Still looks and runs like new and I've only had to replace common wear items, brakes, tires, the drive belt. The belt tensioner failed about a month ago and that was a $48 part that took 10- minutes to replace myself. I did install new front brake rotors at 100k, but the rear drums are still OK. Other than that, this thing has been a beast with reliability that has, frankly, surprised me - it just keeps going! If Chevy didn't have a new design every 5-7 years, you'd think this was still a new SUV. I've run this up some backwoods roads and steep hills and never gotten it stuck, which is good, as the weight is enough that it would be difficult to get out otherwise. The A/C only needed a "top off" on the Freon this past Summer, and still blows so cold my wife keeps a blanket onboard for when we travel (I like it cold, she prefers it a little less cold). In the snow, it's a tank and I've never feared driving in the worst weather, but growing up in New England you learned to drive in the snow or you stayed home a lot! If the new ones weren't over $65K I'd probably buy another new one, but without the need for all the extra space and cargo capacity, this is likely our last Suburban, unless we win the lottery!"

Great car but mileage could be better but for size

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "Great first car, acceleration, power, towing"

Cons: "Gas gas gas, very pricey to fill up (44gal tank)"

"Purchased in 2000, been in my family's possession for the past 14 years. Great family car, great for driving down the street or crossing state borders. Mileage is not amazing, low to mid teens, but for its size and its age it has performed exceptionally well. Acceleration is good as well, it may be an older vehicle but it still has the pep in its step to keep up with many newer vehicles in its class and in some cases outperform the vehicles released within a couple of years. No major repairs at all have been needed besides tire replacement. Minor repairs include broken window: stuck button (children playing with the button), door handle: internal gears broken (improper rotational force applied), seats: leather is worn and torn from years of wear, headlights: dead light bulb. Tows like a dream, handles U-haul trailers easily, the power output of the engine is fantastic. It's a great first car for your teen, because it's big it encourages safe driving, alertness/awareness of surrounding traffic. It takes a lot of gas to fill the tank because it has a 44 gallon tank (an enormous cost in today's gas economy) but it also means that you do not have to fill it up as often as same class vehicles with smaller tanks. Overall: great car, very few repairs, great first car."

god solid family workhorse

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "all around great machine solid veh"

Cons: "coolant leak @ 205k, guess is common"

"clean modern lines ,smooth ride ,lots of room, seats eight,does great in snow/ice , good fuel mileage , maneuvers great, fast acceleration when needed , a very confident feel when driving has never left me/us stranded. I bought this veh used w/60k on it , at 74k the trans went out merging onto the interstate , it sounded like a coffee grinder convention under me as i continued to drive it 15 miles to a store parking lot and called the dealership [ bought extra insurance thru them ] their tech had never seen this type of trans do this before and believe prev owner abused it[4l60e] , this has been the one and only major issue , fuel pump @ 195k [easy fix] , intake coolant leak @ 205k [ again easy fix] from 74k to present she's done nothing but tow / haul us over snowy mountain passes / across hot high desserts and inner city roads /spanked a few " big bad ford and dodge diesels " while accelerating onto the interstate [ man i loved doing that !!!!!] and just been a solid reliable performer , engine still runs like a sewing machine and no issues with rest of drivetrain ,best mileage was 19 @ 70 mph down i-5 loaded [ not towing] 16 around town and back roads , 14 towing, kids all grown now but having a hard time letting her go …..may never."

One of The Best;

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

Pros: "Has never left us stranded, is a great vehicle!"

Cons: "Milage could be a little better, for its size, OK!"

"This 1999 K1500 Suburban has been on of the best vehicles I have owned. I do maintain it very well. I has over 182,000 miles and I have just had to do the suggested maintenance on it. I have towed several trailers with it and had NO problems here in CO.. Has plenty of power and torque for towing, well we could always use more h.p.. All in all it is a good vehicle and would recommend it to anyone. I am looking at upgrading to a newer Suburban, hope it is as good as this one!"

Poor quality vehicle like most Chevys these days

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "Big and spacious"

Cons: "Poor quality"

"Have had nothing but transmission problems now carb problems. Will never buy another Chevy product ever!!!"

like the last guy, 392,000 and love it

By on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Pros: "wont die"

Cons: "wont die"

"Live in NYC...this is a great vehicle. Purchased in 2001 with 26K Trans rebuilt at 330K Motor runs great, just replaced the Catalytic Converters Transfer Case works great New Michelins Barn Doors UsesOne quart of oil every 2000miles 3rd fuel pump 2nd altenator Many brake relinings, lol. had a minor accident in october, will be replacing front bumper after winter with new one with fog lights. got my money's worth out of my baby! NYC, the northeast, north carolina, if the motor dies im going with a 383. its paid for so why send it to the junkyard. i want to take her cross country one day. the bronx to santa monica and back!"

You are unlimited with this vehicle.

By on Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pros: "Unlimited and safe."

Cons: "Fuel economy wasn't as good as posted by GM."

"I ordered this vehicle from the factory as optioned when you could still get a diesel motor, which makes this vehicle a rarity. I met one owner who had one as a 1/2 ton with a diesel and loved it, and talked to several others who had the same, and they said they would get another, without question. They said their vehicle got better mileage than the gas alternative in all conditions and I have found that to be true. They said they were getting ~19 mpg. By the time I got mine, you had to get a 3/4 ton. The best I got was 17 mpg freeway. In 1999, diesel was $1.29/G, and much less than gas, so now it really costs a lot to fill up a 42G tank! I ordered the towing package as well as an additional transmission cooler because I wanted the option of pulling a trailer. The only things I wish I had are heated seats and a block heater, although I took the car to MN in the winter and never had trouble starting it, but I live in CA, so it's not an issue. I put shearling seat covers over the leather and I am good. Problems/Issues: It seemed to me that Chevy didn't engineer the brakes to factor in the extra weight of the motor, so I have had one brake job that was botched twice, but Chevrolet stood behind it all until it was right, even out of warranty. It came with factory Firestone tires, and one lost it's tread on the freeway and dented the wheelwell. Before I could pursue a factory replacement, my husband got a new set of BF Goodrichs. That, once with gelled fuel, and once getting dirty fuel on a cross country trip, the only other issues with this car has been batteries. You need the heavy duty batteries and you need two of them, so it's a big deal when you need to replace. In the 14 years I have had this car, I have had to do that 4 times. My Suburban is safe, comfortable, and big enough to handle any activity I do except speed racing, which you give up with a car like this because you have grown up and matured. It's a big car and I have changed the way I drive because of it. Driving is something you plan, you look for parking away from others, and you learn to use your mirrors. Fortunately, the vehicle drives like a car, but it's the size of a truck, so it takes getting used to. On the other hand, I have driven in snow over 1' deep and have never thought about chaining up. (That is probably due to it's weight of ~9K lbs.) I got the 3rd seat, but don't use it much but I am grateful for the heat and a/c in the rear to help manage the comfort in the large space. I could even get a sheet of plywood in the back if necessary. I think that I will be keeping the car for a very long time. I love my Suburban!"

Old Whitey!!! He's still laying down the miles!!

By on Saturday, December 07, 2013

Pros: "Dependability & smooth ride!!!"

Cons: "None for me, but MPG would be for most."

"Old Whitey is w/o a doubt the best vehicle I've ever owned!! Recently, Old Whitey and I clicked off another hundred grand for the fourth time, see attached photo! Today (December 7th 2013) Old Whitey rolled over 403,000.00 miles. It has all original running gear. Over the years my boy and I have provided general maintenance. Every 2500 miles we change oil with Rotella 15W40 and AC1218 filter. It's driven with a light foot, but once weekly Old Whitey and I push the pedal down and clean out any cobs that might have been building up. Recently, on a trip Old Whitey pulled off 16.25 mpg – The best we’ve ever got. Overall, I wouldn't trade Old Whitey for a brand new rig, not in a million years!"

Had this Suburban for 18 years great car.

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

Pros: "Can carry 9 plus all baggage"

Cons: "Gas mileage is about 13 average."

"It has been a great car. I've had it for 18 years with very little trouble. Original engine runs good and does not burn oil. Hauled my large family while pulling a camp trailer on many trips and is able to carry all our bags behind the third row seat. Mileage is just as advertised about 13 overall. 40 gallon gas tank is a real plus."

Best Family vehicle ever!

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "Drives well, comfort is great, visibility perfect"

"It just doesn't get any better! 2 Kids and 5 grandkids and 210,000 miles later, we still love this truck!"