1998 Chevrolet Suburban 1500

Based on 423 Ratings for the 1988 - 1999 models.

Chevy suburban 4x4

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "very spacious and long lasting"

"This truck lasted me a very long time"

Very reliable vehicle, terrible gas milage

By on Friday, May 30, 2014

Pros: "Very spacious and luxurious, very reliable"

Cons: "horrbile gas milage at 8MPG with 4.00 gasoline"

"I am the second owner and it was treated harshly by first owner and even still no mechanical issues, the only problems have been the plastic knobs for a/c and such have broken,otherwise its been fantastic beside the 8MPG it gets.."

This vehicle is Great for Families!

By on Thursday, May 15, 2014

"This vehicle has had only three owners with most records available for review. The vehicle has a newly rebuilt transmission with 83,000 miles on it as well as a new transfer case. In addition the fuel pump, fuel filter, oxygen sensor, new spark plug cables and spark plugs, as well as a new u-bolt to secure the drive shaft has been installed. The Suburban has leather seats, heated seats, all electrical working, new wiper blades, and two new tires in the front. I'm planning on getting new tires in the back. This is a family vehicle that can easily fit eight and it now runs smooth. Please take for a test drive and see what you think. It's great deal and owner is anxious to sell!"

Reliability & comfort and able to tow it all!

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, low cost of ownership. A capable 4X4"

Cons: "It's big and milage isn't the greatest."

"I ordered my 1997 Suburban new from the factory and have had it for 17 years now. Original engine, transmission, transfer case, drive train, etc. and it still has the original stainless steel (factory) exhaust system without rust or holes in it! This has been a workhorse that can go long distances without stopping nor worrying about passenger comfort. We regularly made trips from VT to IL with minimal stops (rest rooms) and once for fuel, with the 42 Gallon gas tank. It carries 7 and all their luggage and other stuff with ease. I requested that all the pre-filled fluids be synthetic and I've always used Mobil 1 oil in it, and it really makes a difference, in my opinion and experience. I get 18 to 19+/- mpg on the highway, if you keep it at 65 mph. Still looks and runs like new and I've only had to replace common wear items, brakes, tires, the drive belt. The belt tensioner failed about a month ago and that was a $48 part that took 10- minutes to replace myself. I did install new front brake rotors at 100k, but the rear drums are still OK. Other than that, this thing has been a beast with reliability that has, frankly, surprised me - it just keeps going! If Chevy didn't have a new design every 5-7 years, you'd think this was still a new SUV. I've run this up some backwoods roads and steep hills and never gotten it stuck, which is good, as the weight is enough that it would be difficult to get out otherwise. The A/C only needed a "top off" on the Freon this past Summer, and still blows so cold my wife keeps a blanket onboard for when we travel (I like it cold, she prefers it a little less cold). In the snow, it's a tank and I've never feared driving in the worst weather, but growing up in New England you learned to drive in the snow or you stayed home a lot! If the new ones weren't over $65K I'd probably buy another new one, but without the need for all the extra space and cargo capacity, this is likely our last Suburban, unless we win the lottery!"

Great car but mileage could be better but for size

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "Great first car, acceleration, power, towing"

Cons: "Gas gas gas, very pricey to fill up (44gal tank)"

"Purchased in 2000, been in my family's possession for the past 14 years. Great family car, great for driving down the street or crossing state borders. Mileage is not amazing, low to mid teens, but for its size and its age it has performed exceptionally well. Acceleration is good as well, it may be an older vehicle but it still has the pep in its step to keep up with many newer vehicles in its class and in some cases outperform the vehicles released within a couple of years. No major repairs at all have been needed besides tire replacement. Minor repairs include broken window: stuck button (children playing with the button), door handle: internal gears broken (improper rotational force applied), seats: leather is worn and torn from years of wear, headlights: dead light bulb. Tows like a dream, handles U-haul trailers easily, the power output of the engine is fantastic. It's a great first car for your teen, because it's big it encourages safe driving, alertness/awareness of surrounding traffic. It takes a lot of gas to fill the tank because it has a 44 gallon tank (an enormous cost in today's gas economy) but it also means that you do not have to fill it up as often as same class vehicles with smaller tanks. Overall: great car, very few repairs, great first car."

god solid family workhorse

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "all around great machine solid veh"

Cons: "coolant leak @ 205k, guess is common"

"clean modern lines ,smooth ride ,lots of room, seats eight,does great in snow/ice , good fuel mileage , maneuvers great, fast acceleration when needed , a very confident feel when driving has never left me/us stranded. I bought this veh used w/60k on it , at 74k the trans went out merging onto the interstate , it sounded like a coffee grinder convention under me as i continued to drive it 15 miles to a store parking lot and called the dealership [ bought extra insurance thru them ] their tech had never seen this type of trans do this before and believe prev owner abused it[4l60e] , this has been the one and only major issue , fuel pump @ 195k [easy fix] , intake coolant leak @ 205k [ again easy fix] from 74k to present she's done nothing but tow / haul us over snowy mountain passes / across hot high desserts and inner city roads /spanked a few " big bad ford and dodge diesels " while accelerating onto the interstate [ man i loved doing that !!!!!] and just been a solid reliable performer , engine still runs like a sewing machine and no issues with rest of drivetrain ,best mileage was 19 @ 70 mph down i-5 loaded [ not towing] 16 around town and back roads , 14 towing, kids all grown now but having a hard time letting her go …..may never."

One of The Best;

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

Pros: "Has never left us stranded, is a great vehicle!"

Cons: "Milage could be a little better, for its size, OK!"

"This 1999 K1500 Suburban has been on of the best vehicles I have owned. I do maintain it very well. I has over 182,000 miles and I have just had to do the suggested maintenance on it. I have towed several trailers with it and had NO problems here in CO.. Has plenty of power and torque for towing, well we could always use more h.p.. All in all it is a good vehicle and would recommend it to anyone. I am looking at upgrading to a newer Suburban, hope it is as good as this one!"

Poor quality vehicle like most Chevys these days

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "Big and spacious"

Cons: "Poor quality"

"Have had nothing but transmission problems now carb problems. Will never buy another Chevy product ever!!!"

like the last guy, 392,000 and love it

By on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Pros: "wont die"

Cons: "wont die"

"Live in NYC...this is a great vehicle. Purchased in 2001 with 26K Trans rebuilt at 330K Motor runs great, just replaced the Catalytic Converters Transfer Case works great New Michelins Barn Doors UsesOne quart of oil every 2000miles 3rd fuel pump 2nd altenator Many brake relinings, lol. had a minor accident in october, will be replacing front bumper after winter with new one with fog lights. got my money's worth out of my baby! NYC, the northeast, north carolina, if the motor dies im going with a 383. its paid for so why send it to the junkyard. i want to take her cross country one day. the bronx to santa monica and back!"

You are unlimited with this vehicle.

By on Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pros: "Unlimited and safe."

Cons: "Fuel economy wasn't as good as posted by GM."

"I ordered this vehicle from the factory as optioned when you could still get a diesel motor, which makes this vehicle a rarity. I met one owner who had one as a 1/2 ton with a diesel and loved it, and talked to several others who had the same, and they said they would get another, without question. They said their vehicle got better mileage than the gas alternative in all conditions and I have found that to be true. They said they were getting ~19 mpg. By the time I got mine, you had to get a 3/4 ton. The best I got was 17 mpg freeway. In 1999, diesel was $1.29/G, and much less than gas, so now it really costs a lot to fill up a 42G tank! I ordered the towing package as well as an additional transmission cooler because I wanted the option of pulling a trailer. The only things I wish I had are heated seats and a block heater, although I took the car to MN in the winter and never had trouble starting it, but I live in CA, so it's not an issue. I put shearling seat covers over the leather and I am good. Problems/Issues: It seemed to me that Chevy didn't engineer the brakes to factor in the extra weight of the motor, so I have had one brake job that was botched twice, but Chevrolet stood behind it all until it was right, even out of warranty. It came with factory Firestone tires, and one lost it's tread on the freeway and dented the wheelwell. Before I could pursue a factory replacement, my husband got a new set of BF Goodrichs. That, once with gelled fuel, and once getting dirty fuel on a cross country trip, the only other issues with this car has been batteries. You need the heavy duty batteries and you need two of them, so it's a big deal when you need to replace. In the 14 years I have had this car, I have had to do that 4 times. My Suburban is safe, comfortable, and big enough to handle any activity I do except speed racing, which you give up with a car like this because you have grown up and matured. It's a big car and I have changed the way I drive because of it. Driving is something you plan, you look for parking away from others, and you learn to use your mirrors. Fortunately, the vehicle drives like a car, but it's the size of a truck, so it takes getting used to. On the other hand, I have driven in snow over 1' deep and have never thought about chaining up. (That is probably due to it's weight of ~9K lbs.) I got the 3rd seat, but don't use it much but I am grateful for the heat and a/c in the rear to help manage the comfort in the large space. I could even get a sheet of plywood in the back if necessary. I think that I will be keeping the car for a very long time. I love my Suburban!"

Old Whitey!!! He's still laying down the miles!!

By on Saturday, December 07, 2013

Pros: "Dependability & smooth ride!!!"

Cons: "None for me, but MPG would be for most."

"Old Whitey is w/o a doubt the best vehicle I've ever owned!! Recently, Old Whitey and I clicked off another hundred grand for the fourth time, see attached photo! Today (December 7th 2013) Old Whitey rolled over 403,000.00 miles. It has all original running gear. Over the years my boy and I have provided general maintenance. Every 2500 miles we change oil with Rotella 15W40 and AC1218 filter. It's driven with a light foot, but once weekly Old Whitey and I push the pedal down and clean out any cobs that might have been building up. Recently, on a trip Old Whitey pulled off 16.25 mpg – The best we’ve ever got. Overall, I wouldn't trade Old Whitey for a brand new rig, not in a million years!"

Had this Suburban for 18 years great car.

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

Pros: "Can carry 9 plus all baggage"

Cons: "Gas mileage is about 13 average."

"It has been a great car. I've had it for 18 years with very little trouble. Original engine runs good and does not burn oil. Hauled my large family while pulling a camp trailer on many trips and is able to carry all our bags behind the third row seat. Mileage is just as advertised about 13 overall. 40 gallon gas tank is a real plus."

Best Family vehicle ever!

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "Drives well, comfort is great, visibility perfect"

"It just doesn't get any better! 2 Kids and 5 grandkids and 210,000 miles later, we still love this truck!"

great 4wd vehicle. tons of power

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "awesome off roading. lots of space. tons of powe"

Cons: "soft brake pedal feel. gas mileage."

"mine has the 7.4 454 in it. it moves a 7k pound vehicle like it weighs nothing. it rides extremely smooth for age, size and 3/4 ton status. it has tons of room on the inside. if you remove the third row and put down other seats it can hold full sheets of plywood and an other objects you can place in it. powersteering pump just went in mine. expected due to age and miles but not happy that the brakes work off the power steering. its bad enough losing power steering on this beast to find there is also no brakes. overall i love this thing. many trips over 1k miles. averages about 11 miles per gallon on highway. only lose about 1-2 miles a gallon during daily driving."

great buy

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "great price good millage and well built"

"i bought this from a guy that let it sit for 4 years it is a 95 6.5 turbo diesel. i had it running in two hours and drove it 20 mi home diesel is the way to go. i have another 95 with 340k and still runs strong"

one of the best cars on the road

By on Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Pros: "great machine"

Cons: "hard to park in town"

"This was my 4th suburban and I have nothing but praise for this model in terms of reliability,safety,handling for a large vehicle, and flexibility. This is the car for longer trips with family and dogs.Better than Mercedes or BMW in all around value and the repairs are much cheaper."

300,000 yesterday and has never let me down.

By on Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable and reliable."

Cons: "Bit hard on the gas"

"Bought new from Buzz Chew fall of 1997. Replaced 1st engine part idler pulley at 297,863 miles. It is just a great big comfortable, reliable, SUV. All original OEM parts on car (except tires & battery) until about 298,000 miles then rear wheel cylinders as a safety precaution, fusible link, oxygen senors, pitman arm,"

Still a great car

By on Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pros: "Great family car. Or multi pet family :)"

Cons: "Parking is a problem if you can't drive a big car."

"I purchased this SUV used from a customer of mine. I love it still. People are amazed that I still get 18 mpg from a big boat like this. Maintenance has not been crazy, nothing major has gone wrong (knock wood) haha. Plenty of room, actually too much room now. Great turning base for a big car. Everything still works in it, like air (all 3), heat, seats, etc...."

One of the Best Vehicles owned to date

By on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Repairable, Comfortable, and Paid For..."

Cons: "Doesn't get 35 MPG, Doesn't have Cruise..."

It has Class.

"It just wants to go, mileage is 18+ and sometimes better on the road, less in higher elevations, comfortable, a few design flaws but overall the most reliable vehicle since my 1975 Suburban, tires were/are too small. Yet, a better ride than the 1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer preceding it. The Suburban needs better seats, more attention to the little things, screws that fall out, foreign components shoddy in their manufacture to begin with. It Still Looks Good, Rides Great, is in Good Mechanical Condition and gets me there. That's as good as it gets... What hurts is that we know, they could do better."

It has Class.

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pros: "Handles bad weather, tows with ease, super comfort"

Cons: "A few more MPG please"

"When Chevrolet engineered this vehicle, they got it right. The comparably short wheel base and power options make it a formidable tow rig, and the exemplary comfort of the leather-appointed cabin and tinted windows, remarkable sound system and third row of seats make it a great people-hauler too, while still having enough cargo space in the back to carry a lot of extra stuff. Unlike most SUVs, this is not a station wagon, as it can haul an easy 5000 pounds without missing a beat. I have had mine for 7 years, putting more than 190,000 miles on it, with occasional wear-related repairs. The average cost of ownership has been vastly less than a boxy, poor-handling newer car would be. Other cars have come in and out of my life since I bought The Beast (as it's known), and with the only exception being a Cadillac STS, it has outpaced all of them in terms of comfort. In fact, it is more comfortable than the low-slung Caddy seats were, and has taken use without complaint, unlike the same Caddy. It's practical, good-looking, comfortable, and fun to drive. It handles Vermont's worst winter weather like a champ (I do mount studded snow tires) and cruises reasonably easily over our rutted dirt roads, too. Last but not least I have to mention its fuel economy (stop laughing). My truck gets approximately 16.5 miles per gallon, respectable for any larger vehicle, particularly when taken into account the fact that GM predicted 13-15 for a brand new Suburban 1500. And the EPA actually says its emissions are reasonable, and far less than a lot of newer vehicles with smaller engines. How do I love my Suburban? Let me count the ways."

Fantastic surprise

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Fast, fun, well built, reliable, comfortable, safe"

Cons: "Doesn't exactly sip fuel"

"Love it. Bought it on a desperate mission to replace my stolen minivan one day (5 kids), and this is what I could afford for cash. With over 150k miles, my expectations were not great. 3 years later, I love this gentle giant. Fun to drive and very reliable! My kids like riding in the big Chevy as a macho alternative to the Honda odyssey. The 7.4L has a sweet note, and propels the behemoth like a muscle car! It takes corners with grace and secure handling, and stops without drama. Repairs? Like none but minor issues. Sounds too good to be true? Believe me, they are value-priced and are worth a look, especially if you can find the 454 and aren't on a tight fuel budget."

Easily one one the best vehicles I have ever owned

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

"I bought this vehicle used in 2001 with 125,000 miles on it. I have put on 100,000 hard miles since then, towing hauling, 4 wheel driving, camping vacationing and out to dinner. The vehicle has had regular maintenance, oil changes, tires and brakes - the only repair I had to do was an A/C compressor and a belt tensioner. This has to be one of the best vehicles GM has ever made! I definitely expect to get 300,000 miles out of this vehicle."

First owner of the 2500 worked as advertised.

By on Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pros: "Power/space/comfort outstanding."

Cons: "Bad breaks, small items fail/and fail again."

"First 5 years were great. Expected ware and tear started to show towing 8K lbs travel trailer. 2500 breaks never worked right after first year. Auto door and window silinoids and motors started failing in second year. Door will not lock via auto and windows don't roll up/down. Interior very good except for dash board knobs. Falling apart. Replaced air conditioner switch 3x's, made in mexico and it shows. Many parts made in mexico, OK, many more bad experiance. Tranny is outstanding, engine very good. Drive train very good. This was the only vehicle on market that met family needs. Would buy again if the only one on market. Mileage was as expected, low. Family of 5 comfort outstanding and will hold 6 adults on fishing trip very well with gear."

good work truck

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

"good work truck needs work on intrier"

Never will purchase a new suv

By on Saturday, September 15, 2012

Pros: "great price, awesome hwy mileage, very roomy"

Cons: "only preventative maintenance"

"I upgraded from a 98' Chevy Tahoe I purchased in 2008 for my 40th bday with only 121,000 original miles. The previous owner kept extremely detailed records of every oil change and every detail. Upon purchasing the Tahoe, the original window sticker was in the glove compartment at a purchase price of $38,000. I paid $3,300 out the door with the dealer kind enough to pay for the tags. of which I sold to my fiancee, just to keep it in the family. Now, I've upgraded to a '99 Suburban, fully loaded and purchased for $4,100 with 197,000 original miles, I wouldnt trade either truck for a brand new one off the assembly line. Both the Tahoe and the Suburban meet my families expectations and beyond. Ive helped friends n family move with both trucks and once the seats were easily removed, the room that was left had me astounded. My motto is "if I ever became homeless, I'd have a paid for ready made place to live in, my Suburban." I've had the Suburban for 4 months now and I still get amazed by all the accesories it has, I had to get in the back seat and Im still finding little amenities to it. I LOVE CHEVY AND I LOVE BOTH MY TAHOE & ESPECIALLY MY SUBURBAN!!!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Suburban 1500 near Honolulu. See local deals