1997 Chevrolet Suburban 1500

Based on 440 Ratings for the 1988 - 1999 models.

maybe I just got a lemon?

By on Thursday, June 19, 2008

"Well my suburban looks great and when it is running, it runs terrific! However, I've only owned mine for a little over a year and have had to replace the motor once and the catalytic converter three times! The gas mileage is killing me, but it is great for long road trips with the family since we can pack many items, the three kids and the dog and still have leg room! Hoping now that so much work has been done, it will last a long time!"

The Suburban

By on Thursday, February 14, 2008

"I have always driven dodges, but this suburban was great. It was not a rocketship, but it was fun to drive. The last of the great trucks. I could take it anywhere since it was 4WD. 214k, only had to change an alternator, and a water pump."

My Beautiful Black Beast

By on Saturday, December 01, 2007

"This is the best overall vehicle I've ever owned in my life. This truck has the most room of any car or truck on the road. It ia also very stylish and comfort is second to none. I dont care if gas goes to ten dollars a gallon I will have to get a second job before I let my truck go."

Great

By on Thursday, November 22, 2007

"i have had mine for about a year and a half no....i got a great deal on it....i bought it with 56,500 miles on it.....its been pretty good to me...i've had some normal issues with it (water pump, tires, battery)....i love the room it has....provides plenty of room for my toys and to carry my daughters toys as well.......the towing power is great....i've pulled my dads 21 foot boat a few times and i didnt even know i was pulling anything......i've taken it on a couple of trips.....i got a little over 20mpg on the highway ('ve never checked it in the city)...and thats with setting the cruise control at 75 mph......and the tank size is awesome.....i drove from New Orleans LA to Tullahome TN (about an hour and a half before nashville)...it was a 500 mile drive and i only used half a tank....i would really love a new one.....i love the body style of the new 07's......one thing i dont like too much is the box shape....i like on the 2000 and up they started gettinga little more curves.......and the only major problem that i have has was with the Pass Lock System.......i added and after market viper alarm with remote start.....and the pass lock system kept getting set off....basicly it was thinking someone was trying to take my truck....since it was being started without a key...the security light would come on....and wouldnt start the next time i tried for about 30 minutes....but i found out a way to fix that and everything is great now....again i love suburbans and would definitly get another one."

great 4wd vehicle. tons of power

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "awesome off roading. lots of space. tons of powe"

Cons: "soft brake pedal feel. gas mileage."

"mine has the 7.4 454 in it. it moves a 7k pound vehicle like it weighs nothing. it rides extremely smooth for age, size and 3/4 ton status. it has tons of room on the inside. if you remove the third row and put down other seats it can hold full sheets of plywood and an other objects you can place in it. powersteering pump just went in mine. expected due to age and miles but not happy that the brakes work off the power steering. its bad enough losing power steering on this beast to find there is also no brakes. overall i love this thing. many trips over 1k miles. averages about 11 miles per gallon on highway. only lose about 1-2 miles a gallon during daily driving."

First owner of the 2500 worked as advertised.

By on Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pros: "Power/space/comfort outstanding."

Cons: "Bad breaks, small items fail/and fail again."

"First 5 years were great. Expected ware and tear started to show towing 8K lbs travel trailer. 2500 breaks never worked right after first year. Auto door and window silinoids and motors started failing in second year. Door will not lock via auto and windows don't roll up/down. Interior very good except for dash board knobs. Falling apart. Replaced air conditioner switch 3x's, made in mexico and it shows. Many parts made in mexico, OK, many more bad experiance. Tranny is outstanding, engine very good. Drive train very good. This was the only vehicle on market that met family needs. Would buy again if the only one on market. Mileage was as expected, low. Family of 5 comfort outstanding and will hold 6 adults on fishing trip very well with gear."

LOVE IT.

By on Saturday, September 08, 2012

Pros: "TONS of room, comfy, large engine room/ lights."

Cons: "TERRIBLE MPG, gauges failing, handles lossening."

"I got my '93 Suburban as a hand-me-down from my parents to drive. It's spacious, comfy, and is great for hauling equipment, trailers, friends, pretty much anything! Love it!! Except all of my gauges are going out...(gas gauge, odometer, speedometer, RPM...)"

GREAT VALUE, DEPENDABLE, TOWING BEAST!, POWERFUL

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "DEPENDIBILITY, ROOM, STABLE RIDE, BACK STORAGE."

Cons: "MPG IS 17-18 HIGHWAY."

"INTERIOR IS THE ONLY THING THAT SHOWS WEAR AND TEAR. THIS BEAST NEVER GAVE US ANY REAL PROBLEMS FOR ALL SEVEN AND ONE HALF YEARS THAT WE OWNED IT. SMALL PROBLEM WITH DRIVERS SIDE DOOR SWITCH PANEL. REPLACED, NOW NO PROBLEMS. ORIGINAL OWNER USED TO PULL HIS DRAGSTER ACROSS THE COUNTRY - FOR 115,000 MILES. WE PUT NEW CRATE MOTOR IN AT 150,000 MILES (FROM GM FOR $1,100.00 ONLY), AND HAVE PUT ON OVER 80,000 MILES TOWING, ETC. SO FAR. OIL ON DIPSTICK IS STILL PRETTY CLEAR RIGHT BEFORE REGULAR OIL CHANGES AT EACH 3500 MILES INTERVALS. VERY STABLE RIDE, GREAT FOR TRIPS WHETHER YOU HAVE 2 OCCUPANTS OR NINE - NINE OCCUPANTS STILL VERY COMFORTABLE. STORAGE IS GREAT. GREAT IN SNOW AND ICE AS WELL. I WILL PROBABLY KEEP FOREVER AS A THIRD VEHICLE BECAUSE IT TRAVELS ON TRIPS SO WELL. WE STILL LOVE IT!!!!"

I love my truck

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "comfort."

Cons: "gas prices"

"This is a very good truck if you have kid's I have 4 and there's alot of room for us plus thier friend's when they come along with us. I feel safe in this truck because it's big and not so high up off the ground it's just perfect. My truck has went to mexico and back 3 time's and I never had any trouble. The only thing Iam having trouble with now is the gas prices it cost me over $100.00 dollars to fill up the tank and it's just getting to costley for me so I may trade or sell my truck soon);"

bought my 1999 chevy suburban and love it!

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive on trips"

Cons: "not the best fuel miliage"

"i bought it for 2500 and its everything i could ever ask for in a vehicle. chevy knows how to make a truck and suv. i also have a 1988 1500 scottsdale. i put over 500,000 miles on it before have to put a new transmission in. hoping the suburban is the same way"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Suburban 1500 near Honolulu. See local deals