1997 Chevrolet Suburban 1500

Based on 429 Ratings for the 1988 - 1999 models.

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pros: "Handles bad weather, tows with ease, super comfort"

Cons: "A few more MPG please"

"When Chevrolet engineered this vehicle, they got it right. The comparably short wheel base and power options make it a formidable tow rig, and the exemplary comfort of the leather-appointed cabin and tinted windows, remarkable sound system and third row of seats make it a great people-hauler too, while still having enough cargo space in the back to carry a lot of extra stuff. Unlike most SUVs, this is not a station wagon, as it can haul an easy 5000 pounds without missing a beat. I have had mine for 7 years, putting more than 190,000 miles on it, with occasional wear-related repairs. The average cost of ownership has been vastly less than a boxy, poor-handling newer car would be. Other cars have come in and out of my life since I bought The Beast (as it's known), and with the only exception being a Cadillac STS, it has outpaced all of them in terms of comfort. In fact, it is more comfortable than the low-slung Caddy seats were, and has taken use without complaint, unlike the same Caddy. It's practical, good-looking, comfortable, and fun to drive. It handles Vermont's worst winter weather like a champ (I do mount studded snow tires) and cruises reasonably easily over our rutted dirt roads, too. Last but not least I have to mention its fuel economy (stop laughing). My truck gets approximately 16.5 miles per gallon, respectable for any larger vehicle, particularly when taken into account the fact that GM predicted 13-15 for a brand new Suburban 1500. And the EPA actually says its emissions are reasonable, and far less than a lot of newer vehicles with smaller engines. How do I love my Suburban? Let me count the ways."

Fantastic surprise

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Fast, fun, well built, reliable, comfortable, safe"

Cons: "Doesn't exactly sip fuel"

"Love it. Bought it on a desperate mission to replace my stolen minivan one day (5 kids), and this is what I could afford for cash. With over 150k miles, my expectations were not great. 3 years later, I love this gentle giant. Fun to drive and very reliable! My kids like riding in the big Chevy as a macho alternative to the Honda odyssey. The 7.4L has a sweet note, and propels the behemoth like a muscle car! It takes corners with grace and secure handling, and stops without drama. Repairs? Like none but minor issues. Sounds too good to be true? Believe me, they are value-priced and are worth a look, especially if you can find the 454 and aren't on a tight fuel budget."

Easily one one the best vehicles I have ever owned

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

"I bought this vehicle used in 2001 with 125,000 miles on it. I have put on 100,000 hard miles since then, towing hauling, 4 wheel driving, camping vacationing and out to dinner. The vehicle has had regular maintenance, oil changes, tires and brakes - the only repair I had to do was an A/C compressor and a belt tensioner. This has to be one of the best vehicles GM has ever made! I definitely expect to get 300,000 miles out of this vehicle."

First owner of the 2500 worked as advertised.

By on Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pros: "Power/space/comfort outstanding."

Cons: "Bad breaks, small items fail/and fail again."

"First 5 years were great. Expected ware and tear started to show towing 8K lbs travel trailer. 2500 breaks never worked right after first year. Auto door and window silinoids and motors started failing in second year. Door will not lock via auto and windows don't roll up/down. Interior very good except for dash board knobs. Falling apart. Replaced air conditioner switch 3x's, made in mexico and it shows. Many parts made in mexico, OK, many more bad experiance. Tranny is outstanding, engine very good. Drive train very good. This was the only vehicle on market that met family needs. Would buy again if the only one on market. Mileage was as expected, low. Family of 5 comfort outstanding and will hold 6 adults on fishing trip very well with gear."

good work truck

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

"good work truck needs work on intrier"

Never will purchase a new suv

By on Saturday, September 15, 2012

Pros: "great price, awesome hwy mileage, very roomy"

Cons: "only preventative maintenance"

"I upgraded from a 98' Chevy Tahoe I purchased in 2008 for my 40th bday with only 121,000 original miles. The previous owner kept extremely detailed records of every oil change and every detail. Upon purchasing the Tahoe, the original window sticker was in the glove compartment at a purchase price of $38,000. I paid $3,300 out the door with the dealer kind enough to pay for the tags. of which I sold to my fiancee, just to keep it in the family. Now, I've upgraded to a '99 Suburban, fully loaded and purchased for $4,100 with 197,000 original miles, I wouldnt trade either truck for a brand new one off the assembly line. Both the Tahoe and the Suburban meet my families expectations and beyond. Ive helped friends n family move with both trucks and once the seats were easily removed, the room that was left had me astounded. My motto is "if I ever became homeless, I'd have a paid for ready made place to live in, my Suburban." I've had the Suburban for 4 months now and I still get amazed by all the accesories it has, I had to get in the back seat and Im still finding little amenities to it. I LOVE CHEVY AND I LOVE BOTH MY TAHOE & ESPECIALLY MY SUBURBAN!!!"

love at first sight

By on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pros: "comfortable, size, look"

Cons: "gas, a/c not well circulated"

"This vehicle has NEVER let me down. I've never been stuck in the mud or ANYTHING! if you buy this vehicle you will not regret it. Its great for a first car for anybody or a great family vehicle. I love the rode trips in my 'burban. nobody is cramped, so your hear no complaining just laughter the whole trip. My speedometer is only off by 10. "Betsy", has never left me stranded. Also when my a/c went out and i had to convert it to R-134 it took a lot of freon and my 'burban is still not well circulated but it does get cold in the front not in the back."

LOVE IT.

By on Saturday, September 08, 2012

Pros: "TONS of room, comfy, large engine room/ lights."

Cons: "TERRIBLE MPG, gauges failing, handles lossening."

"I got my '93 Suburban as a hand-me-down from my parents to drive. It's spacious, comfy, and is great for hauling equipment, trailers, friends, pretty much anything! Love it!! Except all of my gauges are going out...(gas gauge, odometer, speedometer, RPM...)"

Owned since new.

By on Monday, September 03, 2012

Pros: "Pulls my boat and camping gear with all three kids"

Cons: "Gas mileage,Gas Mileage, Gas mileage"

"Least serviced American car I owned. Chevrolet has come a long way on quality and comfort. Still going stong in 2012!"

Great choice for SUV

By on Monday, July 23, 2012

Pros: "Everything about it."

Cons: "nothing I have found."

"I love it,it has room and is comfortable to travel in. If you don't have big over sized tires and use high octane the gas mileage is great. I have had it for a long time and it's worth more to me than book value."

Good vehicle for larger family!

By on Thursday, June 07, 2012

Pros: "Good for large family and few repairs!"

Cons: "Poor gas milage and not a lot of leg room."

"We have had our Suburban for awhile and have only had to do minor repairs. It is a 1993 with nearly 300,000 miles on it! The only problem we have had with it is that my daughter is taller and has some issues with long rides in it as far as leg room goes with the bench seats. We love it because our family of 7 can ride in it and a friend can even come along. The gas milage is better than what it says in the blue book for us, we can get as much as 17mpg on the highway. We know it isn't very good milage but to us it is made up for by the low repair costs we have had."

Greatest vehicle ever built

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Cons: "Cup holder is right in front on heat vent"

"Takes one heck of a licking but keeps on ticking"

it's the best suv i've had so far!

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Cons: "door pin bushings.. gas gauge needle"

"it's really a great vehicle all around..."

291,000 miles, extremely reliable

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable seating, reliabilty, durability"

Cons: "Low mpg, no CD player,"

"My 1993 Chevrolet Suburban has been extremely faithful and reliable. We have replaced the transmission and air conditioning once with other minor repairs along the way to the current 291000 miles. The radio, cassette player, gas gauge,and clock have shorted out or broken, and after some years some of the interior components such as knobs and door sidings can come loose, but nothing that a little effort and/or a little money couldn't fix easily. I highly recommend this vehicle as a family SUV. The entire exterior is steel and extremely durable and safe. The mpg is the area in which this vehicle fails. With gas price at 3.79 per gallon and a 42 gallon gas tank, it can take up wards of $140 to fill the tank from completely empty. Of course, the range is close to 500 miles with 10-14 mpg (rough estimate). I have loved this SUV and will miss it dearly when I sell it or it finally decides to die for good. A good solid work truck with massive interior space for covered hauling once the back bench is removed and the middle seats folded down. Though mpg will cost you, this SUV can't be beat for reliability and comfort. Also, because of the size of the engine compartment, it is relatively easy to make minor repairs and do basic maintenance without removing major engine components in order to reach other area of the engine."

I LOVE IT!

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "spacious, fun to drive, big, can carry a lot"

Cons: "Gas mileage, tires get pricey since its a truck"

"I love my 1999 Chevy Suburban! The gas sucks, but it never lets me down! Its a must have for anyone and any family. It's spacious, which I love. I recommend this car to anyone!"

lots of room

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive. Big and safe"

Cons: "wish it got more mpg"

"Tons of room and a smooth ride. Gas isnt that good but could be worse."

GREAT VALUE, DEPENDABLE, TOWING BEAST!, POWERFUL

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "DEPENDIBILITY, ROOM, STABLE RIDE, BACK STORAGE."

Cons: "MPG IS 17-18 HIGHWAY."

"INTERIOR IS THE ONLY THING THAT SHOWS WEAR AND TEAR. THIS BEAST NEVER GAVE US ANY REAL PROBLEMS FOR ALL SEVEN AND ONE HALF YEARS THAT WE OWNED IT. SMALL PROBLEM WITH DRIVERS SIDE DOOR SWITCH PANEL. REPLACED, NOW NO PROBLEMS. ORIGINAL OWNER USED TO PULL HIS DRAGSTER ACROSS THE COUNTRY - FOR 115,000 MILES. WE PUT NEW CRATE MOTOR IN AT 150,000 MILES (FROM GM FOR $1,100.00 ONLY), AND HAVE PUT ON OVER 80,000 MILES TOWING, ETC. SO FAR. OIL ON DIPSTICK IS STILL PRETTY CLEAR RIGHT BEFORE REGULAR OIL CHANGES AT EACH 3500 MILES INTERVALS. VERY STABLE RIDE, GREAT FOR TRIPS WHETHER YOU HAVE 2 OCCUPANTS OR NINE - NINE OCCUPANTS STILL VERY COMFORTABLE. STORAGE IS GREAT. GREAT IN SNOW AND ICE AS WELL. I WILL PROBABLY KEEP FOREVER AS A THIRD VEHICLE BECAUSE IT TRAVELS ON TRIPS SO WELL. WE STILL LOVE IT!!!!"

I love my truck

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "comfort."

Cons: "gas prices"

"This is a very good truck if you have kid's I have 4 and there's alot of room for us plus thier friend's when they come along with us. I feel safe in this truck because it's big and not so high up off the ground it's just perfect. My truck has went to mexico and back 3 time's and I never had any trouble. The only thing Iam having trouble with now is the gas prices it cost me over $100.00 dollars to fill up the tank and it's just getting to costley for me so I may trade or sell my truck soon);"

I love it

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

"This is a good car for the show and traeling."

Very Dependable

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "will tow 10,000lbs carry 9 adults comfortably"

Cons: "13 mph city"

"I bought mine 7yrs. ago two sets of tires one battery, and usual maintaning in all the years I,ve owned it. Yea the mileage is not high in the city 13mpg but highway 18.5 at 65mph with 42 gal. in tow 600 miles per tank. not too many stops for fuel. I expect to get 300,000 out of the original motor.gotta love the tried and true Chevy small block."

bought my 1999 chevy suburban and love it!

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive on trips"

Cons: "not the best fuel miliage"

"i bought it for 2500 and its everything i could ever ask for in a vehicle. chevy knows how to make a truck and suv. i also have a 1988 1500 scottsdale. i put over 500,000 miles on it before have to put a new transmission in. hoping the suburban is the same way"

single father

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "front windshield visor,side window visors,chrome"

Cons: "gas mileage is not so great! but it worth it.."

"I'm a single dad with a teenage daughter who's into cheerleading and sleepovers..I've taken her and her friends all over in this truck and it's been very reliable! i've also had 7-8 adults in it and everyone rides in comfort...i love this truck and have had it for 4 years now! money well spent!!"

Love this truck

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

"I've had this truck for 5 years and no problems. It does get any where and pull any thing. I use it for the fire dept when the weather is bad."

This vehicle exceeded expectations!

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, very safe in inclement weather; roomy"

Cons: "Difficult to negotiate in city...."

"I have owned this vehicle for two years, and have no issues other than normal wear / tear: exhaust replacement, and transfer case needed repair. Other than that, I have found that with careful driving, I haven't replaced brakes yet, and fuel mileage about 20mpg on highway, which was surprising, especially when fully loaded.. Does not use any oil between changes, no transmission problems at all.. Excellent vehicle for larger family - we have a family of 7!"

Super nice drivin

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Does ok on mpg for a full sized family suv, safe"

Cons: "altenators go out somewhat fast"

"This car drives nice, is comfortable to be in. Pretty reliable and does excellent when your towing. My Wife and i Love it."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Suburban 1500 near Honolulu. See local deals