1997 Chevrolet Suburban 1500

Based on 437 Ratings for the 1988 - 1999 models.

nice suburban

By on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"I really love this truck, i take it off road and it goes to home depot and a 4X8 piece of sheet rock fits in the back AND the doors close. The brakes are pretty pitiful for a truck this size but just put some powerstop cross drilled rotors on the front and it makes a big difference."

maybe I just got a lemon?

By on Thursday, June 19, 2008

"Well my suburban looks great and when it is running, it runs terrific! However, I've only owned mine for a little over a year and have had to replace the motor once and the catalytic converter three times! The gas mileage is killing me, but it is great for long road trips with the family since we can pack many items, the three kids and the dog and still have leg room! Hoping now that so much work has been done, it will last a long time!"

The Suburban

By on Thursday, February 14, 2008

"I have always driven dodges, but this suburban was great. It was not a rocketship, but it was fun to drive. The last of the great trucks. I could take it anywhere since it was 4WD. 214k, only had to change an alternator, and a water pump."

My Beautiful Black Beast

By on Saturday, December 01, 2007

"This is the best overall vehicle I've ever owned in my life. This truck has the most room of any car or truck on the road. It ia also very stylish and comfort is second to none. I dont care if gas goes to ten dollars a gallon I will have to get a second job before I let my truck go."

Great

By on Thursday, November 22, 2007

"i have had mine for about a year and a half no....i got a great deal on it....i bought it with 56,500 miles on it.....its been pretty good to me...i've had some normal issues with it (water pump, tires, battery)....i love the room it has....provides plenty of room for my toys and to carry my daughters toys as well.......the towing power is great....i've pulled my dads 21 foot boat a few times and i didnt even know i was pulling anything......i've taken it on a couple of trips.....i got a little over 20mpg on the highway ('ve never checked it in the city)...and thats with setting the cruise control at 75 mph......and the tank size is awesome.....i drove from New Orleans LA to Tullahome TN (about an hour and a half before nashville)...it was a 500 mile drive and i only used half a tank....i would really love a new one.....i love the body style of the new 07's......one thing i dont like too much is the box shape....i like on the 2000 and up they started gettinga little more curves.......and the only major problem that i have has was with the Pass Lock System.......i added and after market viper alarm with remote start.....and the pass lock system kept getting set off....basicly it was thinking someone was trying to take my truck....since it was being started without a key...the security light would come on....and wouldnt start the next time i tried for about 30 minutes....but i found out a way to fix that and everything is great now....again i love suburbans and would definitly get another one."

great 4wd vehicle. tons of power

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "awesome off roading. lots of space. tons of powe"

Cons: "soft brake pedal feel. gas mileage."

"mine has the 7.4 454 in it. it moves a 7k pound vehicle like it weighs nothing. it rides extremely smooth for age, size and 3/4 ton status. it has tons of room on the inside. if you remove the third row and put down other seats it can hold full sheets of plywood and an other objects you can place in it. powersteering pump just went in mine. expected due to age and miles but not happy that the brakes work off the power steering. its bad enough losing power steering on this beast to find there is also no brakes. overall i love this thing. many trips over 1k miles. averages about 11 miles per gallon on highway. only lose about 1-2 miles a gallon during daily driving."

First owner of the 2500 worked as advertised.

By on Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pros: "Power/space/comfort outstanding."

Cons: "Bad breaks, small items fail/and fail again."

"First 5 years were great. Expected ware and tear started to show towing 8K lbs travel trailer. 2500 breaks never worked right after first year. Auto door and window silinoids and motors started failing in second year. Door will not lock via auto and windows don't roll up/down. Interior very good except for dash board knobs. Falling apart. Replaced air conditioner switch 3x's, made in mexico and it shows. Many parts made in mexico, OK, many more bad experiance. Tranny is outstanding, engine very good. Drive train very good. This was the only vehicle on market that met family needs. Would buy again if the only one on market. Mileage was as expected, low. Family of 5 comfort outstanding and will hold 6 adults on fishing trip very well with gear."

LOVE IT.

By on Saturday, September 08, 2012

Pros: "TONS of room, comfy, large engine room/ lights."

Cons: "TERRIBLE MPG, gauges failing, handles lossening."

"I got my '93 Suburban as a hand-me-down from my parents to drive. It's spacious, comfy, and is great for hauling equipment, trailers, friends, pretty much anything! Love it!! Except all of my gauges are going out...(gas gauge, odometer, speedometer, RPM...)"

GREAT VALUE, DEPENDABLE, TOWING BEAST!, POWERFUL

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "DEPENDIBILITY, ROOM, STABLE RIDE, BACK STORAGE."

Cons: "MPG IS 17-18 HIGHWAY."

"INTERIOR IS THE ONLY THING THAT SHOWS WEAR AND TEAR. THIS BEAST NEVER GAVE US ANY REAL PROBLEMS FOR ALL SEVEN AND ONE HALF YEARS THAT WE OWNED IT. SMALL PROBLEM WITH DRIVERS SIDE DOOR SWITCH PANEL. REPLACED, NOW NO PROBLEMS. ORIGINAL OWNER USED TO PULL HIS DRAGSTER ACROSS THE COUNTRY - FOR 115,000 MILES. WE PUT NEW CRATE MOTOR IN AT 150,000 MILES (FROM GM FOR $1,100.00 ONLY), AND HAVE PUT ON OVER 80,000 MILES TOWING, ETC. SO FAR. OIL ON DIPSTICK IS STILL PRETTY CLEAR RIGHT BEFORE REGULAR OIL CHANGES AT EACH 3500 MILES INTERVALS. VERY STABLE RIDE, GREAT FOR TRIPS WHETHER YOU HAVE 2 OCCUPANTS OR NINE - NINE OCCUPANTS STILL VERY COMFORTABLE. STORAGE IS GREAT. GREAT IN SNOW AND ICE AS WELL. I WILL PROBABLY KEEP FOREVER AS A THIRD VEHICLE BECAUSE IT TRAVELS ON TRIPS SO WELL. WE STILL LOVE IT!!!!"

I love my truck

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "comfort."

Cons: "gas prices"

"This is a very good truck if you have kid's I have 4 and there's alot of room for us plus thier friend's when they come along with us. I feel safe in this truck because it's big and not so high up off the ground it's just perfect. My truck has went to mexico and back 3 time's and I never had any trouble. The only thing Iam having trouble with now is the gas prices it cost me over $100.00 dollars to fill up the tank and it's just getting to costley for me so I may trade or sell my truck soon);"

bought my 1999 chevy suburban and love it!

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive on trips"

Cons: "not the best fuel miliage"

"i bought it for 2500 and its everything i could ever ask for in a vehicle. chevy knows how to make a truck and suv. i also have a 1988 1500 scottsdale. i put over 500,000 miles on it before have to put a new transmission in. hoping the suburban is the same way"

This vehicle exceeded expectations!

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, very safe in inclement weather; roomy"

Cons: "Difficult to negotiate in city...."

"I have owned this vehicle for two years, and have no issues other than normal wear / tear: exhaust replacement, and transfer case needed repair. Other than that, I have found that with careful driving, I haven't replaced brakes yet, and fuel mileage about 20mpg on highway, which was surprising, especially when fully loaded.. Does not use any oil between changes, no transmission problems at all.. Excellent vehicle for larger family - we have a family of 7!"

Has been the best vehicle ever

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "roomy comfortable dependable"

Cons: "fuel cost"

"This is the best vehicle ever nice style and roomy inside. It is excellent for winter weather driving.The only down fall it has is the cost to drive around 15 miles per gallon. By far the comfort and reliability makes it worth it."

Sweet Vehicle

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pros: "4 wheel drive excellent towing capacity"

Cons: "gas mileage,cost to fill gas tank"

"I love the suburban i just got it 3 months ago and it rocks the only thing that is bad is the gas mieage but what can you expect for a heavy suv, the 42 gallon tank is nice and it last awhile on the highway so its bice becasue i travel throughout the us so it will help, i go without filling up longer then my 4 door 4 cyl car i traded it for!!!"

I Love This Truck

By on Saturday, February 04, 2012

Pros: "Roomy, comfortable, safe."

Cons: "gas mileage.."

"This is a great vehicle if you can find one in good condition that has not been abused. The ride is very comfortable. Its very roomy inside.Its very versatile. You can haul a refrigerator in it if you need to. Great for 2 people camping . No tent needed. Just take out the back seat and sleep in it. The 4x4 goes just about anywhere..Gas mileage is poor (15MPG around town) but thats no surprise for a vehicle of this size. Other than that, it's great. I bought mine to be a hunting, camping, haul kids to school vehicle. For that, you can't beat it."

great dependable vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "spacious, and comfortable"

"I've enjoyed owning this vehicle. Even as old as it is, with the high milage that I have, it still rides like a car instead of a truck. Compared to all the other 4 door 4 wheel drive vehicles I'v owned it still gets some of the best gas milage for this type of vehicle."

My juggernaut- unstoppable force, immovable object

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "Security, Power, Cargo Room, Driving Range"

Cons: "corners like an aircraft carrier, 5 ton towing"

"Enough low end torque that I pulled a friends Dodge Ram out of a 3 1/2 ft deep creek at idle. It protected my family from two accidents where the Suburban was unharmed and the other cars were totaled. The second one my 3 year old asked "What was that noise?" because he barely felt the jolt. Unbelievable cargo volume, near 150 cubic feet, that is unrivaled by today's SUVs. The combination of 15.5 mpg city, 19-20 mpg on the highway, and a 42 gallon tank mean you are never left in desperate need of gas."

Loved it!!!!

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "Stregnth, Safety, Dependable"

Cons: "higher gas usage than small car"

"Bought it with 33000 miles and have driven it until it was recently totaled in accident--not our fault. In a smaller vehicle that didnt have the structural streghth that the Suburbans do, my daughter would have been killed in this accident. Like it was, she walked away unharmed. This vehicle had very few problems over the years and was still dependable. My kids are grown now or I would only replace with another Suburban. I cant say enough how lucky she was that she was in the Surburban for this accident. We called it our Tank over the years and it lived up to its name."

Most trouble free vehicle

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

Pros: "Great vehicle now that we have Grandkids"

"We have owned this vehicle for over 6 years and short of a new battery two years ago and new tires at the same time. The only repairs I have had to do was repair the steering linkage-front end alinement. Even the wife loves it, says it makes her feel big."

Great vehicle

By on Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pros: "Good gas mileage on the highway, very comfortable, reliable."

Cons: "Hard to keep AC working"

"We bought this car in 2007, it had 125,000 miles and we used it for everything. We used it for family vacations and transported any where from 5-8 people very comfortably. We had to rebuild the transmission at 175,000 miles but that was the only major repair. It has been a nice car to own and we feel very comfortable selling it to the next person. We have used it for everything and it is a real workhorse. The only problem that we have had with it is a problem with the air conditioning working and have had it in several times to be fixed and it will work fine for a few weeks then stop. We have not been able to find the problem. I upgraded to a newer Suburban and plan on getting the same results from it as this one."

Wonderful vehicle

By on Monday, April 05, 2010

"We have had our 99 Suburban for 7 years. It is a very comfortable vehicle and is great if you have 3 kids and like to go camping. The heated seats are great in winter. 4x4 is great in winter also. Ours now has 156,000 miles on it and still drives wonderful. The only problem we have had is the fuel pump went out. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone."

tows great

By on Saturday, March 13, 2010

"3/4 ton, 454 engine I got this as a tow vehicle and it worked perfectly. I was able to tow over mountain passes without a loss in power. I've had it a few years and so far have replaced the wiper motor, battery, starter and two tires. The engine is running great and I also pass smog without a problem."

Best vehicle I've ever owned

By on Friday, March 05, 2010

"I have owed this 97 3/4 ton 4x4 for 8 years now. It just passed 200,000 miles and still run great. Only had to replace the alternator and fuel pump. This thing has the big block 454 (7.4 litre) and may be a bit of a gas hog (9mpg city 11hwy) but I tow a 9,000 pound trailer and haul my family of 7 through the mountains and it never complains. Still think this body style is the "toughest" looking of them all."

the toughest truck I have ever seen

By on Saturday, November 14, 2009

"We bought our first one 4 years ago, we needed a vehicle, and fast. It was the right price and available. On Valentines day my husband wrecked it...had he been in any other vehicle, he would have been seriously hurt if not dead. We fixed it...kept it and it still runs to this day...we bought a second one...you can't beat the absolute toughness of this truck. It just keeps on going. Very minor issues mostly just up keep. Chevrolet got this one right!!!!!"

wow

By on Saturday, September 19, 2009

"Just bought my second sub an very happy"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Suburban 1500 near Honolulu. See local deals