1996 Chevrolet Suburban 1500

Based on 440 Ratings for the 1988 - 1999 models.

291,000 miles, extremely reliable

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable seating, reliabilty, durability"

Cons: "Low mpg, no CD player,"

"My 1993 Chevrolet Suburban has been extremely faithful and reliable. We have replaced the transmission and air conditioning once with other minor repairs along the way to the current 291000 miles. The radio, cassette player, gas gauge,and clock have shorted out or broken, and after some years some of the interior components such as knobs and door sidings can come loose, but nothing that a little effort and/or a little money couldn't fix easily. I highly recommend this vehicle as a family SUV. The entire exterior is steel and extremely durable and safe. The mpg is the area in which this vehicle fails. With gas price at 3.79 per gallon and a 42 gallon gas tank, it can take up wards of $140 to fill the tank from completely empty. Of course, the range is close to 500 miles with 10-14 mpg (rough estimate). I have loved this SUV and will miss it dearly when I sell it or it finally decides to die for good. A good solid work truck with massive interior space for covered hauling once the back bench is removed and the middle seats folded down. Though mpg will cost you, this SUV can't be beat for reliability and comfort. Also, because of the size of the engine compartment, it is relatively easy to make minor repairs and do basic maintenance without removing major engine components in order to reach other area of the engine."

Old Whitey!!! He's still laying down the miles!!

By on Saturday, December 07, 2013

Pros: "Dependability & smooth ride!!!"

Cons: "None for me, but MPG would be for most."

"Old Whitey is w/o a doubt the best vehicle I've ever owned!! Recently, Old Whitey and I clicked off another hundred grand for the fourth time, see attached photo! Today (December 7th 2013) Old Whitey rolled over 403,000.00 miles. It has all original running gear. Over the years my boy and I have provided general maintenance. Every 2500 miles we change oil with Rotella 15W40 and AC1218 filter. It's driven with a light foot, but once weekly Old Whitey and I push the pedal down and clean out any cobs that might have been building up. Recently, on a trip Old Whitey pulled off 16.25 mpg – The best we’ve ever got. Overall, I wouldn't trade Old Whitey for a brand new rig, not in a million years!"

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pros: "Handles bad weather, tows with ease, super comfort"

Cons: "A few more MPG please"

"When Chevrolet engineered this vehicle, they got it right. The comparably short wheel base and power options make it a formidable tow rig, and the exemplary comfort of the leather-appointed cabin and tinted windows, remarkable sound system and third row of seats make it a great people-hauler too, while still having enough cargo space in the back to carry a lot of extra stuff. Unlike most SUVs, this is not a station wagon, as it can haul an easy 5000 pounds without missing a beat. I have had mine for 7 years, putting more than 190,000 miles on it, with occasional wear-related repairs. The average cost of ownership has been vastly less than a boxy, poor-handling newer car would be. Other cars have come in and out of my life since I bought The Beast (as it's known), and with the only exception being a Cadillac STS, it has outpaced all of them in terms of comfort. In fact, it is more comfortable than the low-slung Caddy seats were, and has taken use without complaint, unlike the same Caddy. It's practical, good-looking, comfortable, and fun to drive. It handles Vermont's worst winter weather like a champ (I do mount studded snow tires) and cruises reasonably easily over our rutted dirt roads, too. Last but not least I have to mention its fuel economy (stop laughing). My truck gets approximately 16.5 miles per gallon, respectable for any larger vehicle, particularly when taken into account the fact that GM predicted 13-15 for a brand new Suburban 1500. And the EPA actually says its emissions are reasonable, and far less than a lot of newer vehicles with smaller engines. How do I love my Suburban? Let me count the ways."

Fantastic surprise

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Fast, fun, well built, reliable, comfortable, safe"

Cons: "Doesn't exactly sip fuel"

"Love it. Bought it on a desperate mission to replace my stolen minivan one day (5 kids), and this is what I could afford for cash. With over 150k miles, my expectations were not great. 3 years later, I love this gentle giant. Fun to drive and very reliable! My kids like riding in the big Chevy as a macho alternative to the Honda odyssey. The 7.4L has a sweet note, and propels the behemoth like a muscle car! It takes corners with grace and secure handling, and stops without drama. Repairs? Like none but minor issues. Sounds too good to be true? Believe me, they are value-priced and are worth a look, especially if you can find the 454 and aren't on a tight fuel budget."

love at first sight

By on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pros: "comfortable, size, look"

Cons: "gas, a/c not well circulated"

"This vehicle has NEVER let me down. I've never been stuck in the mud or ANYTHING! if you buy this vehicle you will not regret it. Its great for a first car for anybody or a great family vehicle. I love the rode trips in my 'burban. nobody is cramped, so your hear no complaining just laughter the whole trip. My speedometer is only off by 10. "Betsy", has never left me stranded. Also when my a/c went out and i had to convert it to R-134 it took a lot of freon and my 'burban is still not well circulated but it does get cold in the front not in the back."

Great For Trips

By on Sunday, November 04, 2007

"We bought ours with 159,000 miles on it and now it has 259.000 and still runs good. We have driven it on many trips of 1000 miles or more and never have been stranded. Several times we have driven 20 hours or more wiithout stopping. With 6 kids it holds everyone with room for luggage. At about 190000 miles we had to have the transmission overhauled but that is the only repair of any consequence."

Easily one one the best vehicles I have ever owned

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

"I bought this vehicle used in 2001 with 125,000 miles on it. I have put on 100,000 hard miles since then, towing hauling, 4 wheel driving, camping vacationing and out to dinner. The vehicle has had regular maintenance, oil changes, tires and brakes - the only repair I had to do was an A/C compressor and a belt tensioner. This has to be one of the best vehicles GM has ever made! I definitely expect to get 300,000 miles out of this vehicle."

indestructable

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"235000 on eng&trans, stiil runs good and looks good,19 city,24 highway, yes that is correct,after market parts work better.anything is possiable.luv my sub"

Had this Suburban for 18 years great car.

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

Pros: "Can carry 9 plus all baggage"

Cons: "Gas mileage is about 13 average."

"It has been a great car. I've had it for 18 years with very little trouble. Original engine runs good and does not burn oil. Hauled my large family while pulling a camp trailer on many trips and is able to carry all our bags behind the third row seat. Mileage is just as advertised about 13 overall. 40 gallon gas tank is a real plus."

Owned since new.

By on Monday, September 03, 2012

Pros: "Pulls my boat and camping gear with all three kids"

Cons: "Gas mileage,Gas Mileage, Gas mileage"

"Least serviced American car I owned. Chevrolet has come a long way on quality and comfort. Still going stong in 2012!"

I LOVE IT!

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "spacious, fun to drive, big, can carry a lot"

Cons: "Gas mileage, tires get pricey since its a truck"

"I love my 1999 Chevy Suburban! The gas sucks, but it never lets me down! Its a must have for anyone and any family. It's spacious, which I love. I recommend this car to anyone!"

This is an outstanding truck!

By on Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Pros: "Safe"

Cons: "none."

"I bought this truck with 23000 miles on it. It is all original and runs like a champ. No major mechanical issues at all. Just standard maintenance. I would not hesitate to drive her coast to coast. She is good for another 150000 EASY. Great ride on the highway, in good weather or blizzards, always feel safe."

Very versatile

By on Thursday, February 26, 2009

"This trucks are great, they are very reliable, very comfortable, and super versatile. Think of it as a crew cab Pick Up with a camper. You can carry 8 adults in great comfort plus everybody's stuff, or take out the third row seat ( carefully as it is heavy ) and you can fit 4X8 plywood sheets, 2X4's, etc, even in the rain without getting wet. You can also tow a lot ( up to 7000 lbs ) with ease. And with it's big windows, it has great visibility and almost no blind spots. I definitely would recommend this trucks to any one."

Still a great car

By on Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pros: "Great family car. Or multi pet family :)"

Cons: "Parking is a problem if you can't drive a big car."

"I purchased this SUV used from a customer of mine. I love it still. People are amazed that I still get 18 mpg from a big boat like this. Maintenance has not been crazy, nothing major has gone wrong (knock wood) haha. Plenty of room, actually too much room now. Great turning base for a big car. Everything still works in it, like air (all 3), heat, seats, etc...."

One of the Best Vehicles owned to date

By on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Repairable, Comfortable, and Paid For..."

Cons: "Doesn't get 35 MPG, Doesn't have Cruise..."

It has Class.

"It just wants to go, mileage is 18+ and sometimes better on the road, less in higher elevations, comfortable, a few design flaws but overall the most reliable vehicle since my 1975 Suburban, tires were/are too small. Yet, a better ride than the 1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer preceding it. The Suburban needs better seats, more attention to the little things, screws that fall out, foreign components shoddy in their manufacture to begin with. It Still Looks Good, Rides Great, is in Good Mechanical Condition and gets me there. That's as good as it gets... What hurts is that we know, they could do better."

It has Class.

Very Dependable

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "will tow 10,000lbs carry 9 adults comfortably"

Cons: "13 mph city"

"I bought mine 7yrs. ago two sets of tires one battery, and usual maintaning in all the years I,ve owned it. Yea the mileage is not high in the city 13mpg but highway 18.5 at 65mph with 42 gal. in tow 600 miles per tank. not too many stops for fuel. I expect to get 300,000 out of the original motor.gotta love the tried and true Chevy small block."

Great People Hauler

By on Monday, November 29, 2010

"I love this truck!! I upgraded my 1989 GMC Suburban to a 1999 Chevy Suburban and what a difference! It is so quiet and smooth, and gets twice the gas mileage as the old one. We just took it on a long trip, and if you can believe it, averaged 24mpg. I love the power of the Vortec 5.7L, and it is more than enough to pull my boat or enclosed trailer. People have said the interior is cheap, but I like it, and it feels much more put-together than a lot of other vehicles out there. Lots of nooks and crannys to stuff things in on a trip, and almost too many cup holders. My kids love the 3rd seat, and the rear AC and heat controls. We will be keeping this for a LONG time!"

Keep it simple

By on Thursday, December 31, 2009

"We have a 2wd 2500. Wanted a base model, but you can't find them unless you buy a fleet vehicle. Found a lightly used contractor's vehilcle. Vinyl floors & cloth seats, but power windows & locks. The engine & trans have been very reliable. It's a nice, strong tow vehicle. The only real complaint I have is that the power equipment (which I didn't really want anyway) has given us trouble since it was 5 years old. The power locks don't work on 2 of the doors & have had to repair 3 of the windows (1 has stuck twice). This is a great utility truck & has tons of kids, cargo and dog room. We do love it, just wish the 'no frills' trim levels were easier to find."

super truck

By on Friday, November 27, 2009

"I recently came across a '94 with some minor problems(minor radiator leak & tune up) for what i call dirt cheap. The owner(s)failed on basic mechanics and i won the prize! I will take the 10-13mpg in trade for the room, leather ,rear air, 4x4, and all the other neat toys this beast has. My wife and kids are happy for the room that all the minivans lack, and I just love this truck. I have been fed up with squeazing into a minivan for the past 10 yrs, and actually found a vehicle with true room for 8. I plan on keeping this till i can find a way to be buried in it years to come."

nice suburban

By on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"I really love this truck, i take it off road and it goes to home depot and a 4X8 piece of sheet rock fits in the back AND the doors close. The brakes are pretty pitiful for a truck this size but just put some powerstop cross drilled rotors on the front and it makes a big difference."

maybe I just got a lemon?

By on Thursday, June 19, 2008

"Well my suburban looks great and when it is running, it runs terrific! However, I've only owned mine for a little over a year and have had to replace the motor once and the catalytic converter three times! The gas mileage is killing me, but it is great for long road trips with the family since we can pack many items, the three kids and the dog and still have leg room! Hoping now that so much work has been done, it will last a long time!"

The Suburban

By on Thursday, February 14, 2008

"I have always driven dodges, but this suburban was great. It was not a rocketship, but it was fun to drive. The last of the great trucks. I could take it anywhere since it was 4WD. 214k, only had to change an alternator, and a water pump."

My Beautiful Black Beast

By on Saturday, December 01, 2007

"This is the best overall vehicle I've ever owned in my life. This truck has the most room of any car or truck on the road. It ia also very stylish and comfort is second to none. I dont care if gas goes to ten dollars a gallon I will have to get a second job before I let my truck go."

Great

By on Thursday, November 22, 2007

"i have had mine for about a year and a half no....i got a great deal on it....i bought it with 56,500 miles on it.....its been pretty good to me...i've had some normal issues with it (water pump, tires, battery)....i love the room it has....provides plenty of room for my toys and to carry my daughters toys as well.......the towing power is great....i've pulled my dads 21 foot boat a few times and i didnt even know i was pulling anything......i've taken it on a couple of trips.....i got a little over 20mpg on the highway ('ve never checked it in the city)...and thats with setting the cruise control at 75 mph......and the tank size is awesome.....i drove from New Orleans LA to Tullahome TN (about an hour and a half before nashville)...it was a 500 mile drive and i only used half a tank....i would really love a new one.....i love the body style of the new 07's......one thing i dont like too much is the box shape....i like on the 2000 and up they started gettinga little more curves.......and the only major problem that i have has was with the Pass Lock System.......i added and after market viper alarm with remote start.....and the pass lock system kept getting set off....basicly it was thinking someone was trying to take my truck....since it was being started without a key...the security light would come on....and wouldnt start the next time i tried for about 30 minutes....but i found out a way to fix that and everything is great now....again i love suburbans and would definitly get another one."

great 4wd vehicle. tons of power

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "awesome off roading. lots of space. tons of powe"

Cons: "soft brake pedal feel. gas mileage."

"mine has the 7.4 454 in it. it moves a 7k pound vehicle like it weighs nothing. it rides extremely smooth for age, size and 3/4 ton status. it has tons of room on the inside. if you remove the third row and put down other seats it can hold full sheets of plywood and an other objects you can place in it. powersteering pump just went in mine. expected due to age and miles but not happy that the brakes work off the power steering. its bad enough losing power steering on this beast to find there is also no brakes. overall i love this thing. many trips over 1k miles. averages about 11 miles per gallon on highway. only lose about 1-2 miles a gallon during daily driving."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Suburban 1500 near Honolulu. See local deals