1996 Chevrolet Suburban 1500

Based on 438 Ratings for the 1988 - 1999 models.

291,000 miles, extremely reliable

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable seating, reliabilty, durability"

Cons: "Low mpg, no CD player,"

"My 1993 Chevrolet Suburban has been extremely faithful and reliable. We have replaced the transmission and air conditioning once with other minor repairs along the way to the current 291000 miles. The radio, cassette player, gas gauge,and clock have shorted out or broken, and after some years some of the interior components such as knobs and door sidings can come loose, but nothing that a little effort and/or a little money couldn't fix easily. I highly recommend this vehicle as a family SUV. The entire exterior is steel and extremely durable and safe. The mpg is the area in which this vehicle fails. With gas price at 3.79 per gallon and a 42 gallon gas tank, it can take up wards of $140 to fill the tank from completely empty. Of course, the range is close to 500 miles with 10-14 mpg (rough estimate). I have loved this SUV and will miss it dearly when I sell it or it finally decides to die for good. A good solid work truck with massive interior space for covered hauling once the back bench is removed and the middle seats folded down. Though mpg will cost you, this SUV can't be beat for reliability and comfort. Also, because of the size of the engine compartment, it is relatively easy to make minor repairs and do basic maintenance without removing major engine components in order to reach other area of the engine."

Old Whitey!!! He's still laying down the miles!!

By on Saturday, December 07, 2013

Pros: "Dependability & smooth ride!!!"

Cons: "None for me, but MPG would be for most."

"Old Whitey is w/o a doubt the best vehicle I've ever owned!! Recently, Old Whitey and I clicked off another hundred grand for the fourth time, see attached photo! Today (December 7th 2013) Old Whitey rolled over 403,000.00 miles. It has all original running gear. Over the years my boy and I have provided general maintenance. Every 2500 miles we change oil with Rotella 15W40 and AC1218 filter. It's driven with a light foot, but once weekly Old Whitey and I push the pedal down and clean out any cobs that might have been building up. Recently, on a trip Old Whitey pulled off 16.25 mpg – The best we’ve ever got. Overall, I wouldn't trade Old Whitey for a brand new rig, not in a million years!"

Reliability & comfort and able to tow it all!

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, low cost of ownership. A capable 4X4"

Cons: "It's big and milage isn't the greatest."

"I ordered my 1997 Suburban new from the factory and have had it for 17 years now. Original engine, transmission, transfer case, drive train, etc. and it still has the original stainless steel (factory) exhaust system without rust or holes in it! This has been a workhorse that can go long distances without stopping nor worrying about passenger comfort. We regularly made trips from VT to IL with minimal stops (rest rooms) and once for fuel, with the 42 Gallon gas tank. It carries 7 and all their luggage and other stuff with ease. I requested that all the pre-filled fluids be synthetic and I've always used Mobil 1 oil in it, and it really makes a difference, in my opinion and experience. I get 18 to 19+/- mpg on the highway, if you keep it at 65 mph. Still looks and runs like new and I've only had to replace common wear items, brakes, tires, the drive belt. The belt tensioner failed about a month ago and that was a $48 part that took 10- minutes to replace myself. I did install new front brake rotors at 100k, but the rear drums are still OK. Other than that, this thing has been a beast with reliability that has, frankly, surprised me - it just keeps going! If Chevy didn't have a new design every 5-7 years, you'd think this was still a new SUV. I've run this up some backwoods roads and steep hills and never gotten it stuck, which is good, as the weight is enough that it would be difficult to get out otherwise. The A/C only needed a "top off" on the Freon this past Summer, and still blows so cold my wife keeps a blanket onboard for when we travel (I like it cold, she prefers it a little less cold). In the snow, it's a tank and I've never feared driving in the worst weather, but growing up in New England you learned to drive in the snow or you stayed home a lot! If the new ones weren't over $65K I'd probably buy another new one, but without the need for all the extra space and cargo capacity, this is likely our last Suburban, unless we win the lottery!"

Good vehicle for larger family!

By on Thursday, June 07, 2012

Pros: "Good for large family and few repairs!"

Cons: "Poor gas milage and not a lot of leg room."

"We have had our Suburban for awhile and have only had to do minor repairs. It is a 1993 with nearly 300,000 miles on it! The only problem we have had with it is that my daughter is taller and has some issues with long rides in it as far as leg room goes with the bench seats. We love it because our family of 7 can ride in it and a friend can even come along. The gas milage is better than what it says in the blue book for us, we can get as much as 17mpg on the highway. We know it isn't very good milage but to us it is made up for by the low repair costs we have had."

Great Suburban

By on Monday, May 24, 2010

"Bought my 95 new and is easily the best vehicle I've ever had. Regular maintenance is a must and so far have had no grief from the engine or power train. Had to replace the muffler and rear pipe after 12 years. Most of the electric door locks have died but got used ones from a yard at 10 dlls each. Takes about an hour to replace each actuator. Door pins wear out but I hammer shims under the pins to keep the doors hanging straight. Replaced the brakes twice in 16 years but got to them before they ate the rotors or drums so brakes are like new. Water pump blew a seal but replaced that with a rebuilt. Radiator used to blow it's endcap in hot weather but got a premium quality radiator and now the radiator has not split in 8 years. Yes the dash has fallen off but it's easy to mount again with washers and good glue. The wiper motor used to be intermittent but soldering the contact pins firmly to the board inside the unit fixes that. Yes the plastic stuff on the dash falls apart but either glue them back together or scrounge the yards for replacements. Use touch up paint on the stone chips and the body stays in surprisingly good shape. I have driven this vehicle to the four corners of the continent and it has never let me down. It is a great hauler. The mileage suffers if you want to drive it faster than 65 but it will get decent mileage at 60. The 42 gallon tank can cause real sticker shock at the pumps. I only fill it to half tank in normal usage and only top it off on longer trips. Regular oil changes in the engine and transmission has made this vehicle a keeper."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Suburban 1500 near Honolulu. See local deals