1996 Chevrolet Suburban 1500

Based on 438 Ratings for the 1988 - 1999 models.

291,000 miles, extremely reliable

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable seating, reliabilty, durability"

Cons: "Low mpg, no CD player,"

"My 1993 Chevrolet Suburban has been extremely faithful and reliable. We have replaced the transmission and air conditioning once with other minor repairs along the way to the current 291000 miles. The radio, cassette player, gas gauge,and clock have shorted out or broken, and after some years some of the interior components such as knobs and door sidings can come loose, but nothing that a little effort and/or a little money couldn't fix easily. I highly recommend this vehicle as a family SUV. The entire exterior is steel and extremely durable and safe. The mpg is the area in which this vehicle fails. With gas price at 3.79 per gallon and a 42 gallon gas tank, it can take up wards of $140 to fill the tank from completely empty. Of course, the range is close to 500 miles with 10-14 mpg (rough estimate). I have loved this SUV and will miss it dearly when I sell it or it finally decides to die for good. A good solid work truck with massive interior space for covered hauling once the back bench is removed and the middle seats folded down. Though mpg will cost you, this SUV can't be beat for reliability and comfort. Also, because of the size of the engine compartment, it is relatively easy to make minor repairs and do basic maintenance without removing major engine components in order to reach other area of the engine."

Old Whitey!!! He's still laying down the miles!!

By on Saturday, December 07, 2013

Pros: "Dependability & smooth ride!!!"

Cons: "None for me, but MPG would be for most."

"Old Whitey is w/o a doubt the best vehicle I've ever owned!! Recently, Old Whitey and I clicked off another hundred grand for the fourth time, see attached photo! Today (December 7th 2013) Old Whitey rolled over 403,000.00 miles. It has all original running gear. Over the years my boy and I have provided general maintenance. Every 2500 miles we change oil with Rotella 15W40 and AC1218 filter. It's driven with a light foot, but once weekly Old Whitey and I push the pedal down and clean out any cobs that might have been building up. Recently, on a trip Old Whitey pulled off 16.25 mpg – The best we’ve ever got. Overall, I wouldn't trade Old Whitey for a brand new rig, not in a million years!"

Reliability & comfort and able to tow it all!

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, low cost of ownership. A capable 4X4"

Cons: "It's big and milage isn't the greatest."

"I ordered my 1997 Suburban new from the factory and have had it for 17 years now. Original engine, transmission, transfer case, drive train, etc. and it still has the original stainless steel (factory) exhaust system without rust or holes in it! This has been a workhorse that can go long distances without stopping nor worrying about passenger comfort. We regularly made trips from VT to IL with minimal stops (rest rooms) and once for fuel, with the 42 Gallon gas tank. It carries 7 and all their luggage and other stuff with ease. I requested that all the pre-filled fluids be synthetic and I've always used Mobil 1 oil in it, and it really makes a difference, in my opinion and experience. I get 18 to 19+/- mpg on the highway, if you keep it at 65 mph. Still looks and runs like new and I've only had to replace common wear items, brakes, tires, the drive belt. The belt tensioner failed about a month ago and that was a $48 part that took 10- minutes to replace myself. I did install new front brake rotors at 100k, but the rear drums are still OK. Other than that, this thing has been a beast with reliability that has, frankly, surprised me - it just keeps going! If Chevy didn't have a new design every 5-7 years, you'd think this was still a new SUV. I've run this up some backwoods roads and steep hills and never gotten it stuck, which is good, as the weight is enough that it would be difficult to get out otherwise. The A/C only needed a "top off" on the Freon this past Summer, and still blows so cold my wife keeps a blanket onboard for when we travel (I like it cold, she prefers it a little less cold). In the snow, it's a tank and I've never feared driving in the worst weather, but growing up in New England you learned to drive in the snow or you stayed home a lot! If the new ones weren't over $65K I'd probably buy another new one, but without the need for all the extra space and cargo capacity, this is likely our last Suburban, unless we win the lottery!"

Good vehicle for larger family!

By on Thursday, June 07, 2012

Pros: "Good for large family and few repairs!"

Cons: "Poor gas milage and not a lot of leg room."

"We have had our Suburban for awhile and have only had to do minor repairs. It is a 1993 with nearly 300,000 miles on it! The only problem we have had with it is that my daughter is taller and has some issues with long rides in it as far as leg room goes with the bench seats. We love it because our family of 7 can ride in it and a friend can even come along. The gas milage is better than what it says in the blue book for us, we can get as much as 17mpg on the highway. We know it isn't very good milage but to us it is made up for by the low repair costs we have had."

Great Suburban

By on Monday, May 24, 2010

"Bought my 95 new and is easily the best vehicle I've ever had. Regular maintenance is a must and so far have had no grief from the engine or power train. Had to replace the muffler and rear pipe after 12 years. Most of the electric door locks have died but got used ones from a yard at 10 dlls each. Takes about an hour to replace each actuator. Door pins wear out but I hammer shims under the pins to keep the doors hanging straight. Replaced the brakes twice in 16 years but got to them before they ate the rotors or drums so brakes are like new. Water pump blew a seal but replaced that with a rebuilt. Radiator used to blow it's endcap in hot weather but got a premium quality radiator and now the radiator has not split in 8 years. Yes the dash has fallen off but it's easy to mount again with washers and good glue. The wiper motor used to be intermittent but soldering the contact pins firmly to the board inside the unit fixes that. Yes the plastic stuff on the dash falls apart but either glue them back together or scrounge the yards for replacements. Use touch up paint on the stone chips and the body stays in surprisingly good shape. I have driven this vehicle to the four corners of the continent and it has never let me down. It is a great hauler. The mileage suffers if you want to drive it faster than 65 but it will get decent mileage at 60. The 42 gallon tank can cause real sticker shock at the pumps. I only fill it to half tank in normal usage and only top it off on longer trips. Regular oil changes in the engine and transmission has made this vehicle a keeper."

Great choice for SUV

By on Monday, July 23, 2012

Pros: "Everything about it."

Cons: "nothing I have found."

"I love it,it has room and is comfortable to travel in. If you don't have big over sized tires and use high octane the gas mileage is great. I have had it for a long time and it's worth more to me than book value."

Rough, but Loveable

By on Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"Well, I've been looking at Suburbans now for a long time. Trying to decide which body style I like, what features that I want...etc. I came to like the late 90's body style the best, I think it describes what it really is. A BIG BEASTLY TRUCK. I traded my '95 Sierra Pick-Up for the Suburban, due to a workplace injury that made it difficult to drive the GMC(It was a manual). I've wanted a Suburban since I was a little boy. I can't really explain why, but it just looks so cool. Both sides of my family have owned them in the past, and they just plain come in handy. Whether you need to haul a lot of people, or stuff, or both, this is definitely the vehicle. I bought a 1997 Chevy Suburban with 152,000 miles on it. After reading ALL of the owner reviews on this website, I knew my decision would be a good one. When I bought it, the rear-view mirror, headlamp switch, and rear climate-controls were all broken off, but I made the dealer fix all of those problems. I knew to look past those and take what's important into consideration: engine, transmission, transfer case, and electronics. Those all run absolutely perfect. I even get about 19MPG, no joke!! That's with combined driving. Make sure if you buy one, especially one of the older ones, take it to a mechanic you trust. I looked at about 12 before I decided on this one. I think this was the highlight of GM's design and engineering. No other truck or 'Ute comes even close. I'm a permanent Suburban owner/driver now."

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pros: "Handles bad weather, tows with ease, super comfort"

Cons: "A few more MPG please"

"When Chevrolet engineered this vehicle, they got it right. The comparably short wheel base and power options make it a formidable tow rig, and the exemplary comfort of the leather-appointed cabin and tinted windows, remarkable sound system and third row of seats make it a great people-hauler too, while still having enough cargo space in the back to carry a lot of extra stuff. Unlike most SUVs, this is not a station wagon, as it can haul an easy 5000 pounds without missing a beat. I have had mine for 7 years, putting more than 190,000 miles on it, with occasional wear-related repairs. The average cost of ownership has been vastly less than a boxy, poor-handling newer car would be. Other cars have come in and out of my life since I bought The Beast (as it's known), and with the only exception being a Cadillac STS, it has outpaced all of them in terms of comfort. In fact, it is more comfortable than the low-slung Caddy seats were, and has taken use without complaint, unlike the same Caddy. It's practical, good-looking, comfortable, and fun to drive. It handles Vermont's worst winter weather like a champ (I do mount studded snow tires) and cruises reasonably easily over our rutted dirt roads, too. Last but not least I have to mention its fuel economy (stop laughing). My truck gets approximately 16.5 miles per gallon, respectable for any larger vehicle, particularly when taken into account the fact that GM predicted 13-15 for a brand new Suburban 1500. And the EPA actually says its emissions are reasonable, and far less than a lot of newer vehicles with smaller engines. How do I love my Suburban? Let me count the ways."

Fantastic surprise

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Fast, fun, well built, reliable, comfortable, safe"

Cons: "Doesn't exactly sip fuel"

"Love it. Bought it on a desperate mission to replace my stolen minivan one day (5 kids), and this is what I could afford for cash. With over 150k miles, my expectations were not great. 3 years later, I love this gentle giant. Fun to drive and very reliable! My kids like riding in the big Chevy as a macho alternative to the Honda odyssey. The 7.4L has a sweet note, and propels the behemoth like a muscle car! It takes corners with grace and secure handling, and stops without drama. Repairs? Like none but minor issues. Sounds too good to be true? Believe me, they are value-priced and are worth a look, especially if you can find the 454 and aren't on a tight fuel budget."

love at first sight

By on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pros: "comfortable, size, look"

Cons: "gas, a/c not well circulated"

"This vehicle has NEVER let me down. I've never been stuck in the mud or ANYTHING! if you buy this vehicle you will not regret it. Its great for a first car for anybody or a great family vehicle. I love the rode trips in my 'burban. nobody is cramped, so your hear no complaining just laughter the whole trip. My speedometer is only off by 10. "Betsy", has never left me stranded. Also when my a/c went out and i had to convert it to R-134 it took a lot of freon and my 'burban is still not well circulated but it does get cold in the front not in the back."

Great For Trips

By on Sunday, November 04, 2007

"We bought ours with 159,000 miles on it and now it has 259.000 and still runs good. We have driven it on many trips of 1000 miles or more and never have been stranded. Several times we have driven 20 hours or more wiithout stopping. With 6 kids it holds everyone with room for luggage. At about 190000 miles we had to have the transmission overhauled but that is the only repair of any consequence."

Easily one one the best vehicles I have ever owned

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

"I bought this vehicle used in 2001 with 125,000 miles on it. I have put on 100,000 hard miles since then, towing hauling, 4 wheel driving, camping vacationing and out to dinner. The vehicle has had regular maintenance, oil changes, tires and brakes - the only repair I had to do was an A/C compressor and a belt tensioner. This has to be one of the best vehicles GM has ever made! I definitely expect to get 300,000 miles out of this vehicle."

indestructable

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"235000 on eng&trans, stiil runs good and looks good,19 city,24 highway, yes that is correct,after market parts work better.anything is possiable.luv my sub"

Had this Suburban for 18 years great car.

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

Pros: "Can carry 9 plus all baggage"

Cons: "Gas mileage is about 13 average."

"It has been a great car. I've had it for 18 years with very little trouble. Original engine runs good and does not burn oil. Hauled my large family while pulling a camp trailer on many trips and is able to carry all our bags behind the third row seat. Mileage is just as advertised about 13 overall. 40 gallon gas tank is a real plus."

Owned since new.

By on Monday, September 03, 2012

Pros: "Pulls my boat and camping gear with all three kids"

Cons: "Gas mileage,Gas Mileage, Gas mileage"

"Least serviced American car I owned. Chevrolet has come a long way on quality and comfort. Still going stong in 2012!"

I LOVE IT!

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "spacious, fun to drive, big, can carry a lot"

Cons: "Gas mileage, tires get pricey since its a truck"

"I love my 1999 Chevy Suburban! The gas sucks, but it never lets me down! Its a must have for anyone and any family. It's spacious, which I love. I recommend this car to anyone!"

This is an outstanding truck!

By on Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Pros: "Safe"

Cons: "none."

"I bought this truck with 23000 miles on it. It is all original and runs like a champ. No major mechanical issues at all. Just standard maintenance. I would not hesitate to drive her coast to coast. She is good for another 150000 EASY. Great ride on the highway, in good weather or blizzards, always feel safe."

Very versatile

By on Thursday, February 26, 2009

"This trucks are great, they are very reliable, very comfortable, and super versatile. Think of it as a crew cab Pick Up with a camper. You can carry 8 adults in great comfort plus everybody's stuff, or take out the third row seat ( carefully as it is heavy ) and you can fit 4X8 plywood sheets, 2X4's, etc, even in the rain without getting wet. You can also tow a lot ( up to 7000 lbs ) with ease. And with it's big windows, it has great visibility and almost no blind spots. I definitely would recommend this trucks to any one."

Still a great car

By on Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pros: "Great family car. Or multi pet family :)"

Cons: "Parking is a problem if you can't drive a big car."

"I purchased this SUV used from a customer of mine. I love it still. People are amazed that I still get 18 mpg from a big boat like this. Maintenance has not been crazy, nothing major has gone wrong (knock wood) haha. Plenty of room, actually too much room now. Great turning base for a big car. Everything still works in it, like air (all 3), heat, seats, etc...."

One of the Best Vehicles owned to date

By on Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, Repairable, Comfortable, and Paid For..."

Cons: "Doesn't get 35 MPG, Doesn't have Cruise..."

It has Class.

"It just wants to go, mileage is 18+ and sometimes better on the road, less in higher elevations, comfortable, a few design flaws but overall the most reliable vehicle since my 1975 Suburban, tires were/are too small. Yet, a better ride than the 1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer preceding it. The Suburban needs better seats, more attention to the little things, screws that fall out, foreign components shoddy in their manufacture to begin with. It Still Looks Good, Rides Great, is in Good Mechanical Condition and gets me there. That's as good as it gets... What hurts is that we know, they could do better."

It has Class.

Very Dependable

By on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pros: "will tow 10,000lbs carry 9 adults comfortably"

Cons: "13 mph city"

"I bought mine 7yrs. ago two sets of tires one battery, and usual maintaning in all the years I,ve owned it. Yea the mileage is not high in the city 13mpg but highway 18.5 at 65mph with 42 gal. in tow 600 miles per tank. not too many stops for fuel. I expect to get 300,000 out of the original motor.gotta love the tried and true Chevy small block."

Great People Hauler

By on Monday, November 29, 2010

"I love this truck!! I upgraded my 1989 GMC Suburban to a 1999 Chevy Suburban and what a difference! It is so quiet and smooth, and gets twice the gas mileage as the old one. We just took it on a long trip, and if you can believe it, averaged 24mpg. I love the power of the Vortec 5.7L, and it is more than enough to pull my boat or enclosed trailer. People have said the interior is cheap, but I like it, and it feels much more put-together than a lot of other vehicles out there. Lots of nooks and crannys to stuff things in on a trip, and almost too many cup holders. My kids love the 3rd seat, and the rear AC and heat controls. We will be keeping this for a LONG time!"

Keep it simple

By on Thursday, December 31, 2009

"We have a 2wd 2500. Wanted a base model, but you can't find them unless you buy a fleet vehicle. Found a lightly used contractor's vehilcle. Vinyl floors & cloth seats, but power windows & locks. The engine & trans have been very reliable. It's a nice, strong tow vehicle. The only real complaint I have is that the power equipment (which I didn't really want anyway) has given us trouble since it was 5 years old. The power locks don't work on 2 of the doors & have had to repair 3 of the windows (1 has stuck twice). This is a great utility truck & has tons of kids, cargo and dog room. We do love it, just wish the 'no frills' trim levels were easier to find."

super truck

By on Friday, November 27, 2009

"I recently came across a '94 with some minor problems(minor radiator leak & tune up) for what i call dirt cheap. The owner(s)failed on basic mechanics and i won the prize! I will take the 10-13mpg in trade for the room, leather ,rear air, 4x4, and all the other neat toys this beast has. My wife and kids are happy for the room that all the minivans lack, and I just love this truck. I have been fed up with squeazing into a minivan for the past 10 yrs, and actually found a vehicle with true room for 8. I plan on keeping this till i can find a way to be buried in it years to come."

nice suburban

By on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"I really love this truck, i take it off road and it goes to home depot and a 4X8 piece of sheet rock fits in the back AND the doors close. The brakes are pretty pitiful for a truck this size but just put some powerstop cross drilled rotors on the front and it makes a big difference."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Suburban 1500 near Honolulu. See local deals