1996 Chevrolet Suburban 1500

Based on 435 Ratings for the 1988 - 1999 models.

I love my 99' Suburban so much.

By on Saturday, April 25, 2015

Pros: "Easily pack family of 8 with luggage."

Cons: "Gas prices have been a Blessing so no complaints."

"I have owned my 1999 Chevy Suburban LT for a little over 3 years now. I purchased it when it had 210,000 miles on it. I could not have been Blessed with a better SUV. My previous vehicle was a 1998 Chevy Tahoe, fully loaded,3rd row seating. One owner and he kept copious notes. I have never seen a vehicle manual that had been kept so well. The previous owner was a State Trooper and he documented every oil change, every fluid fill, even the windshield wiper fluid. I sold my Tahoe to my husband and purchased the Suburban. I will only trade for another Suburban, same year, same model, same everything. I love Chevy and the love they put into making each Tahoe and Suburban."

best vehical in it's class we have ever owned

By on Sunday, April 19, 2015

Pros: "solid car. well kept"

Cons: "needs oil gasket"

"one owner car. original paint. complete maintenance records"

Bought it used to haul boat

By on Thursday, April 02, 2015

Pros: "Too many to list!"

Cons: "None to speak about!"

"We bought the 1500 LS used to pull a jet boat and 30' camper. It had 142000 miles on it when we got it. It now has 159601 on it and we have done extensive work to bring it up to our standards! DON'T get me wrong, WE LOVE THIS TRUCK!!! It has made a trip to OK. and back as well as a trip to Ten. and back to Ind.w/ no problems. We needed new tires, shocks, fuel lines, and then we had to replace the engine w/ a jasper remanufact. engine. Invested too much money in an old vehicle??? Not in my opinion. It serves us well, Has all kinds of extra room to spare. Great power now. All the extra's we need or want. Is great for trips and will pull a 7000 lb+ camper w/ extra supplies to boot! on the hwy. it gets 21 mph and 15 in town. It gets 14 mph when pulling the camper up mountains! It is a work vehicle that has all the extra's you need when the family comes along!!!"

One owner, engine is running smoothly & purring

By on Saturday, March 21, 2015

"My four children are grown and the suburban is just too big for my husband and me. It has a huge gas tank approximately 40 gallons... nice for long trips!"

Sweet Ride

By on Friday, March 06, 2015

Pros: "Room and reliability, what more can you ask for"

Cons: "Stock radio, but it's not that bad"

"I've always been a fan of the obs Chevy's and loved the roominess of the Suburban. I was looking for a bigger vehicle for my family and got a good deal on one. It needed a little work to make it run good and be reliable, but after 3 years and 40k+ miles, I'm not regretting my decision. It still has plenty of life left in it. Fuel mileage is on average the same as my wife's smaller 6 cylinder suv."

best vehicle i ever owned

By on Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Pros: "extremely nice sits 8-9 people easy to see out of"

"if this car had no miles and was brand new I would by it again from the dealer. I need a four wheel drive one now !"

rebuilt transmission, bought new, 2500 4x4,

By on Monday, November 10, 2014

Pros: "no third seat, did not order frm factory,"

"very good transportation, 42 gal fuel tank, 16 mpg city, 20.5 mph hyway. Frt & rear heat & a/c. 1999 Chevy Suburban LS"

2500 4X4 / 454 Beast, Great Cruiser

By on Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Pros: "Can get in and out of nearly anything / condition"

Cons: "Wife says, "too high" Solo runs, Ok with me!!"

"Had a similar vehicle then T-Boned, insurance made the call of totaled. Bummer!! So I found another, but upgraded to the 2500 Series, 4X4 along with the 454 engine. Mileage was 10 city 13 highway. I significantly noticed a bit of mileage increase now that I have changed out the original tires and wheels for a set of 17" wheels and 285/70/17 tires. The new tires are nearly 33" in height versus the original 30.47" (increased by 2.24")"

Runs GREAT, running boards make easy access, FUN!!

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Pros: "Wonderful summer fun, great to load up ski buddy's"

Cons: "needs new windshield, has a few dents."

"Has a hitch, drives great. Stops on a dime,very safe vehicle, fits all family and friends, has ambulance rear doors, good engine, new battery.The engine is v8, 5.7 liter. 4WD Break traction,ABS."

Love this truck

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

"We bought this truck, very used, last spring and it has been going ever since. Family vacation in Yellowstone, winter drive from Colorado to Georgia and just back from a trip to PA mountains. Plenty of room for all the kids, camping equipment ect. Will be driving this for years."

Great utility vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pros: "Great work horse."

Cons: "typical maintenance issues for an old car-not bad"

"I bought the car from a dealer 4 years ago and have put 34,000 miles on it. Have pulled a camper to Yellowstone, to Grand Canyon twice, to South Dakota, and have pulled a utility trailer hauling building materials to build a house quite a few miles. For an old car it has been very dependable. I had to replace the radiator, water pump, windshield wiper motor, and battery in 4 years. It is very dependable and comfortable on the road and has a 4 wheel drive that takes me through the snowy winters of Colorado safely. I get around 16 mpg so not bad for a big vehicle."

I love this truck.

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "This truck handles really well. Hauls beautifully"

Cons: "Gas mileage stinks."

"I bought this truck new. It had 5 miles on it and it now has approx. $300,000. Taking good care of it, changing oil, keeping up with maintenance paid off. It hauled horses, kids and moved many a friend, as well as easily handling my canoe in the back. If I could afford a new Burb I would definitely buy another, but I really don't need one anymore. Do not haul horses as much, and my kids are grown and have moved into their own houses. This truck is part of my soul. It never cost me great money in repairs and often got me out of a tricky spot, as well as helping others out. Gotta love 4 wheel drive."

Chevy suburban 4x4

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "very spacious and long lasting"

"This truck lasted me a very long time"

Very reliable vehicle, terrible gas milage

By on Friday, May 30, 2014

Pros: "Very spacious and luxurious, very reliable"

Cons: "horrbile gas milage at 8MPG with 4.00 gasoline"

"I am the second owner and it was treated harshly by first owner and even still no mechanical issues, the only problems have been the plastic knobs for a/c and such have broken,otherwise its been fantastic beside the 8MPG it gets.."

This vehicle is Great for Families!

By on Thursday, May 15, 2014

"This vehicle has had only three owners with most records available for review. The vehicle has a newly rebuilt transmission with 83,000 miles on it as well as a new transfer case. In addition the fuel pump, fuel filter, oxygen sensor, new spark plug cables and spark plugs, as well as a new u-bolt to secure the drive shaft has been installed. The Suburban has leather seats, heated seats, all electrical working, new wiper blades, and two new tires in the front. I'm planning on getting new tires in the back. This is a family vehicle that can easily fit eight and it now runs smooth. Please take for a test drive and see what you think. It's great deal and owner is anxious to sell!"

Reliability & comfort and able to tow it all!

By on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, low cost of ownership. A capable 4X4"

Cons: "It's big and milage isn't the greatest."

"I ordered my 1997 Suburban new from the factory and have had it for 17 years now. Original engine, transmission, transfer case, drive train, etc. and it still has the original stainless steel (factory) exhaust system without rust or holes in it! This has been a workhorse that can go long distances without stopping nor worrying about passenger comfort. We regularly made trips from VT to IL with minimal stops (rest rooms) and once for fuel, with the 42 Gallon gas tank. It carries 7 and all their luggage and other stuff with ease. I requested that all the pre-filled fluids be synthetic and I've always used Mobil 1 oil in it, and it really makes a difference, in my opinion and experience. I get 18 to 19+/- mpg on the highway, if you keep it at 65 mph. Still looks and runs like new and I've only had to replace common wear items, brakes, tires, the drive belt. The belt tensioner failed about a month ago and that was a $48 part that took 10- minutes to replace myself. I did install new front brake rotors at 100k, but the rear drums are still OK. Other than that, this thing has been a beast with reliability that has, frankly, surprised me - it just keeps going! If Chevy didn't have a new design every 5-7 years, you'd think this was still a new SUV. I've run this up some backwoods roads and steep hills and never gotten it stuck, which is good, as the weight is enough that it would be difficult to get out otherwise. The A/C only needed a "top off" on the Freon this past Summer, and still blows so cold my wife keeps a blanket onboard for when we travel (I like it cold, she prefers it a little less cold). In the snow, it's a tank and I've never feared driving in the worst weather, but growing up in New England you learned to drive in the snow or you stayed home a lot! If the new ones weren't over $65K I'd probably buy another new one, but without the need for all the extra space and cargo capacity, this is likely our last Suburban, unless we win the lottery!"

Great car but mileage could be better but for size

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "Great first car, acceleration, power, towing"

Cons: "Gas gas gas, very pricey to fill up (44gal tank)"

"Purchased in 2000, been in my family's possession for the past 14 years. Great family car, great for driving down the street or crossing state borders. Mileage is not amazing, low to mid teens, but for its size and its age it has performed exceptionally well. Acceleration is good as well, it may be an older vehicle but it still has the pep in its step to keep up with many newer vehicles in its class and in some cases outperform the vehicles released within a couple of years. No major repairs at all have been needed besides tire replacement. Minor repairs include broken window: stuck button (children playing with the button), door handle: internal gears broken (improper rotational force applied), seats: leather is worn and torn from years of wear, headlights: dead light bulb. Tows like a dream, handles U-haul trailers easily, the power output of the engine is fantastic. It's a great first car for your teen, because it's big it encourages safe driving, alertness/awareness of surrounding traffic. It takes a lot of gas to fill the tank because it has a 44 gallon tank (an enormous cost in today's gas economy) but it also means that you do not have to fill it up as often as same class vehicles with smaller tanks. Overall: great car, very few repairs, great first car."

god solid family workhorse

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "all around great machine solid veh"

Cons: "coolant leak @ 205k, guess is common"

"clean modern lines ,smooth ride ,lots of room, seats eight,does great in snow/ice , good fuel mileage , maneuvers great, fast acceleration when needed , a very confident feel when driving has never left me/us stranded. I bought this veh used w/60k on it , at 74k the trans went out merging onto the interstate , it sounded like a coffee grinder convention under me as i continued to drive it 15 miles to a store parking lot and called the dealership [ bought extra insurance thru them ] their tech had never seen this type of trans do this before and believe prev owner abused it[4l60e] , this has been the one and only major issue , fuel pump @ 195k [easy fix] , intake coolant leak @ 205k [ again easy fix] from 74k to present she's done nothing but tow / haul us over snowy mountain passes / across hot high desserts and inner city roads /spanked a few " big bad ford and dodge diesels " while accelerating onto the interstate [ man i loved doing that !!!!!] and just been a solid reliable performer , engine still runs like a sewing machine and no issues with rest of drivetrain ,best mileage was 19 @ 70 mph down i-5 loaded [ not towing] 16 around town and back roads , 14 towing, kids all grown now but having a hard time letting her go …..may never."

One of The Best;

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

Pros: "Has never left us stranded, is a great vehicle!"

Cons: "Milage could be a little better, for its size, OK!"

"This 1999 K1500 Suburban has been on of the best vehicles I have owned. I do maintain it very well. I has over 182,000 miles and I have just had to do the suggested maintenance on it. I have towed several trailers with it and had NO problems here in CO.. Has plenty of power and torque for towing, well we could always use more h.p.. All in all it is a good vehicle and would recommend it to anyone. I am looking at upgrading to a newer Suburban, hope it is as good as this one!"

Poor quality vehicle like most Chevys these days

By on Monday, January 20, 2014

Pros: "Big and spacious"

Cons: "Poor quality"

"Have had nothing but transmission problems now carb problems. Will never buy another Chevy product ever!!!"

like the last guy, 392,000 and love it

By on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Pros: "wont die"

Cons: "wont die"

"Live in NYC...this is a great vehicle. Purchased in 2001 with 26K Trans rebuilt at 330K Motor runs great, just replaced the Catalytic Converters Transfer Case works great New Michelins Barn Doors UsesOne quart of oil every 2000miles 3rd fuel pump 2nd altenator Many brake relinings, lol. had a minor accident in october, will be replacing front bumper after winter with new one with fog lights. got my money's worth out of my baby! NYC, the northeast, north carolina, if the motor dies im going with a 383. its paid for so why send it to the junkyard. i want to take her cross country one day. the bronx to santa monica and back!"

You are unlimited with this vehicle.

By on Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pros: "Unlimited and safe."

Cons: "Fuel economy wasn't as good as posted by GM."

"I ordered this vehicle from the factory as optioned when you could still get a diesel motor, which makes this vehicle a rarity. I met one owner who had one as a 1/2 ton with a diesel and loved it, and talked to several others who had the same, and they said they would get another, without question. They said their vehicle got better mileage than the gas alternative in all conditions and I have found that to be true. They said they were getting ~19 mpg. By the time I got mine, you had to get a 3/4 ton. The best I got was 17 mpg freeway. In 1999, diesel was $1.29/G, and much less than gas, so now it really costs a lot to fill up a 42G tank! I ordered the towing package as well as an additional transmission cooler because I wanted the option of pulling a trailer. The only things I wish I had are heated seats and a block heater, although I took the car to MN in the winter and never had trouble starting it, but I live in CA, so it's not an issue. I put shearling seat covers over the leather and I am good. Problems/Issues: It seemed to me that Chevy didn't engineer the brakes to factor in the extra weight of the motor, so I have had one brake job that was botched twice, but Chevrolet stood behind it all until it was right, even out of warranty. It came with factory Firestone tires, and one lost it's tread on the freeway and dented the wheelwell. Before I could pursue a factory replacement, my husband got a new set of BF Goodrichs. That, once with gelled fuel, and once getting dirty fuel on a cross country trip, the only other issues with this car has been batteries. You need the heavy duty batteries and you need two of them, so it's a big deal when you need to replace. In the 14 years I have had this car, I have had to do that 4 times. My Suburban is safe, comfortable, and big enough to handle any activity I do except speed racing, which you give up with a car like this because you have grown up and matured. It's a big car and I have changed the way I drive because of it. Driving is something you plan, you look for parking away from others, and you learn to use your mirrors. Fortunately, the vehicle drives like a car, but it's the size of a truck, so it takes getting used to. On the other hand, I have driven in snow over 1' deep and have never thought about chaining up. (That is probably due to it's weight of ~9K lbs.) I got the 3rd seat, but don't use it much but I am grateful for the heat and a/c in the rear to help manage the comfort in the large space. I could even get a sheet of plywood in the back if necessary. I think that I will be keeping the car for a very long time. I love my Suburban!"

Old Whitey!!! He's still laying down the miles!!

By on Saturday, December 07, 2013

Pros: "Dependability & smooth ride!!!"

Cons: "None for me, but MPG would be for most."

"Old Whitey is w/o a doubt the best vehicle I've ever owned!! Recently, Old Whitey and I clicked off another hundred grand for the fourth time, see attached photo! Today (December 7th 2013) Old Whitey rolled over 403,000.00 miles. It has all original running gear. Over the years my boy and I have provided general maintenance. Every 2500 miles we change oil with Rotella 15W40 and AC1218 filter. It's driven with a light foot, but once weekly Old Whitey and I push the pedal down and clean out any cobs that might have been building up. Recently, on a trip Old Whitey pulled off 16.25 mpg – The best we’ve ever got. Overall, I wouldn't trade Old Whitey for a brand new rig, not in a million years!"

Had this Suburban for 18 years great car.

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

Pros: "Can carry 9 plus all baggage"

Cons: "Gas mileage is about 13 average."

"It has been a great car. I've had it for 18 years with very little trouble. Original engine runs good and does not burn oil. Hauled my large family while pulling a camp trailer on many trips and is able to carry all our bags behind the third row seat. Mileage is just as advertised about 13 overall. 40 gallon gas tank is a real plus."

Best Family vehicle ever!

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "Drives well, comfort is great, visibility perfect"

"It just doesn't get any better! 2 Kids and 5 grandkids and 210,000 miles later, we still love this truck!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Suburban 1500 near Honolulu. See local deals