1994 Chevrolet Suburban 1500

Based on 435 Ratings for the 1988 - 1999 models.

Great Suburban

By on Monday, May 24, 2010

"Bought my 95 new and is easily the best vehicle I've ever had. Regular maintenance is a must and so far have had no grief from the engine or power train. Had to replace the muffler and rear pipe after 12 years. Most of the electric door locks have died but got used ones from a yard at 10 dlls each. Takes about an hour to replace each actuator. Door pins wear out but I hammer shims under the pins to keep the doors hanging straight. Replaced the brakes twice in 16 years but got to them before they ate the rotors or drums so brakes are like new. Water pump blew a seal but replaced that with a rebuilt. Radiator used to blow it's endcap in hot weather but got a premium quality radiator and now the radiator has not split in 8 years. Yes the dash has fallen off but it's easy to mount again with washers and good glue. The wiper motor used to be intermittent but soldering the contact pins firmly to the board inside the unit fixes that. Yes the plastic stuff on the dash falls apart but either glue them back together or scrounge the yards for replacements. Use touch up paint on the stone chips and the body stays in surprisingly good shape. I have driven this vehicle to the four corners of the continent and it has never let me down. It is a great hauler. The mileage suffers if you want to drive it faster than 65 but it will get decent mileage at 60. The 42 gallon tank can cause real sticker shock at the pumps. I only fill it to half tank in normal usage and only top it off on longer trips. Regular oil changes in the engine and transmission has made this vehicle a keeper."

Great choice for SUV

By on Monday, July 23, 2012

Pros: "Everything about it."

Cons: "nothing I have found."

"I love it,it has room and is comfortable to travel in. If you don't have big over sized tires and use high octane the gas mileage is great. I have had it for a long time and it's worth more to me than book value."

Rough, but Loveable

By on Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"Well, I've been looking at Suburbans now for a long time. Trying to decide which body style I like, what features that I want...etc. I came to like the late 90's body style the best, I think it describes what it really is. A BIG BEASTLY TRUCK. I traded my '95 Sierra Pick-Up for the Suburban, due to a workplace injury that made it difficult to drive the GMC(It was a manual). I've wanted a Suburban since I was a little boy. I can't really explain why, but it just looks so cool. Both sides of my family have owned them in the past, and they just plain come in handy. Whether you need to haul a lot of people, or stuff, or both, this is definitely the vehicle. I bought a 1997 Chevy Suburban with 152,000 miles on it. After reading ALL of the owner reviews on this website, I knew my decision would be a good one. When I bought it, the rear-view mirror, headlamp switch, and rear climate-controls were all broken off, but I made the dealer fix all of those problems. I knew to look past those and take what's important into consideration: engine, transmission, transfer case, and electronics. Those all run absolutely perfect. I even get about 19MPG, no joke!! That's with combined driving. Make sure if you buy one, especially one of the older ones, take it to a mechanic you trust. I looked at about 12 before I decided on this one. I think this was the highlight of GM's design and engineering. No other truck or 'Ute comes even close. I'm a permanent Suburban owner/driver now."

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pros: "Handles bad weather, tows with ease, super comfort"

Cons: "A few more MPG please"

"When Chevrolet engineered this vehicle, they got it right. The comparably short wheel base and power options make it a formidable tow rig, and the exemplary comfort of the leather-appointed cabin and tinted windows, remarkable sound system and third row of seats make it a great people-hauler too, while still having enough cargo space in the back to carry a lot of extra stuff. Unlike most SUVs, this is not a station wagon, as it can haul an easy 5000 pounds without missing a beat. I have had mine for 7 years, putting more than 190,000 miles on it, with occasional wear-related repairs. The average cost of ownership has been vastly less than a boxy, poor-handling newer car would be. Other cars have come in and out of my life since I bought The Beast (as it's known), and with the only exception being a Cadillac STS, it has outpaced all of them in terms of comfort. In fact, it is more comfortable than the low-slung Caddy seats were, and has taken use without complaint, unlike the same Caddy. It's practical, good-looking, comfortable, and fun to drive. It handles Vermont's worst winter weather like a champ (I do mount studded snow tires) and cruises reasonably easily over our rutted dirt roads, too. Last but not least I have to mention its fuel economy (stop laughing). My truck gets approximately 16.5 miles per gallon, respectable for any larger vehicle, particularly when taken into account the fact that GM predicted 13-15 for a brand new Suburban 1500. And the EPA actually says its emissions are reasonable, and far less than a lot of newer vehicles with smaller engines. How do I love my Suburban? Let me count the ways."

Fantastic surprise

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Fast, fun, well built, reliable, comfortable, safe"

Cons: "Doesn't exactly sip fuel"

"Love it. Bought it on a desperate mission to replace my stolen minivan one day (5 kids), and this is what I could afford for cash. With over 150k miles, my expectations were not great. 3 years later, I love this gentle giant. Fun to drive and very reliable! My kids like riding in the big Chevy as a macho alternative to the Honda odyssey. The 7.4L has a sweet note, and propels the behemoth like a muscle car! It takes corners with grace and secure handling, and stops without drama. Repairs? Like none but minor issues. Sounds too good to be true? Believe me, they are value-priced and are worth a look, especially if you can find the 454 and aren't on a tight fuel budget."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Suburban 1500 near Honolulu. See local deals