2014 Chevrolet Spark Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $11,879 - $12,222.

8.4

Based on 119 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

An Honest Review

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

""I bought my Chevy Spark in February of 2013. It's the Jalapeno LS Automatic model. The Chevy Spark is my first car. I became fond of small cars after driving a friends Fiat 500 for a day. I wanted a small car that was good on gas but also needed a car that would fit a baby seat or a child in the back seat being my girlfriend and I discovered she was pregnant during the car buying process. I had test drove a Spark a few month prior to buying one and was really surprised at how well the car handled, rode, and performed for being so small. Being that I had drove other small cars and knew I had to have a back seat, so the Fiat 500 and Scion iQ were out of the question. I ended up getting the Spark and I haven't regretted it yet. It's a great little car. If you read reviews from car websites they'd have you think this car is horrible, it's not!! The car rides great, does it get bumpy on the high way, yes, but not unbearable like they make it sound! The interior is great, my only complaint is that the plastic panels scratch easy. The car steers great and is like driving a big go-kart, it handles very well. I believe the estimated gas for this car is listed wrong at 32/38mpg. The car will never dip under 30mpg even going 75-85mph. The car's sweet spot seems to be 50-65mph, the gas mileage soars at these speeds, 40-44mpg easily! This car gets really good gas mileage! It has never cost more then $30 to fill, normally around $25 being it only gas a 9 gallon tank. The seating is pretty comfortable and you can fit 4 adults in the car. It can be tight for the person sitting behind the driver but it's not bad as long as your not driving longer than 1 hour or so. I live in Indiana so I've had the chance to drive it in the snow. To my surprise the car performs pretty well in snow so no worries there. For 84HP it's not to bad, on some very steep hills it will struggle a little but no where near as bad as I thought! There's not much cargo room but trips to the grocery store will be fine so long as you don't take 4 people along and can use the back seats for storage. So far the Spark has been a really good car for me! If you go in not expecting Cadillac like quality then you will get a lot of value out of this car. I really think value and performance wise it easily beats the Scion iQ and Fiat 500. If you want a small car that's good on gas, runs good, can fit friends and family when needed, and will get you to where you need to go, there's no better choice than a Spark. It's a great car!!"

Awesome car so far... cheap on gas...

By on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pros: "peppy engine, gas mileage"

Cons: "no cons so far so good"

"Great car so far... great on gas... great stereo speakers... a/c is good"

I'm lovin' it!

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "Price, Mileage, Options, Hauls four adult humans"

Cons: "No auto-headlights on 2013!"

"I bought the car in Feb 2013. 1LT Manual. For the price, I never expected 'luxury vehicle' standards. I knew what I was getting into. Although, it has more options than I expected! The 7" touchscreen really had me sold. I'm 6'5" and have no problem fitting in the car. It's no V8, but it's definitely fun to drive. I have no problem getting on the highway, with four humans in the car. The manual probably plays a big part in that, because I run the gears pretty high before I shift, while accelerating that fast. I'm averaging around 36 MPG (real numbers, not calculated by the vehicle). The interior plastic scratches very easily. You can scratch it with your fingernails. So after 6 months of driving it, the scratches start showing up everywhere. There have been many complaints about the A/C not functioning. I've only driven the car a handful of times this summer (I prefer my bike). But the few times I actually needed the A/C, it worked like a champ. It won't cause ice cycles, but it does the job, for having a lawnmower engine. The speakers are a joke. They sound more like headphone speakers, but in comes the 'budget car' standards. It's better than nothing! It also doesn't come with a spare tire. It has a can of "tire sealant" and a compressor. It's not a deal breaker for me, my other vehicle has the same thing. If I had to pick one thing I don't like about this vehicle, it would be the daytime running lights, and lack of auto-on headlights. The 2014 models have the auto headlights. The DRL are the headlights, with full power to them. So If you take off without turning the lights on, you will be able to see fine, but your other lights aren't lit up. You would never know that you have no taillights, since the cluster lights are always illuminated. A bit dangerous, if you ask me. I love the car. It does it's job, I've had no problems this far!"

Near Perfection

By on Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, look, and value"

Cons: "Acceleration"

"I bought the Chevy Spark 2013 over a month ago now. I got the LS version. I use it for driving around a Phoenix metro suburb. GAS MILEAGE: Excellent. I filled her up today at a gas station and spent less than $20. The tank was more than half empty when I filled her up. I had good gas mileage with my last car (a Dodge Neon), but this car is even better. You go longer not having to fill the car up and it feels like it just takes seconds to refill it. If you spend a lot on gas, filling this car up instead will blow your mind. EXTERIOR: Looks great - I receive compliments on the car all the time from random people who see me at the gas station or in the parking lot. You get to choose from several colors at no extra charge. I got the green jalepeno one. Also, this car is 5 doors, but it looks like just two in the front plus the hatchback because the door handles blend in with the exterior, which gives you the convenience of a 4-door plus a sporty look. INTERIOR: Also great. The control buttons are smooth and easy to reach. The car feels bigger on the inside because they actually make this car taller than expected - it's taller than my mom's Chevy Cobalt mid-sized sedan. The exterior color is splashed on the inside and on the cloth seats. You ran raise or lower the steering wheel and seat. VALUE: Extremely good value. Inexpensive, amazing gas mileage, and good design. PERFORMANCE: The performance is the only con of this car. It is slow to accelerate from 30 - 40 MPH. It's perfectly fine for street traveling, but I wouldn't want to get on a metered freeway with this car (where you have to stop at a light at the entrance before you must quickly accelerate onto the freeway). If the freeway isn't metered, you won't have any worries getting up to speed. Once it is up to speed though, it's a smooth ride."

Excellent car for the price

By on Friday, April 05, 2013

Pros: "Attractive, well-equipped, great price"

Cons: "Would have preferred 6 speed auto."

"My wife drives the techno pink version. Actually, color description is deceptive. Fairly subdued pink. She loves it. It is an automatic, LT trim. Very well equipped. Surprisingly roomy inside. I am 6 foot, 200 pounds, fit fine in front, even in back I am ok. While interior is not plush, it is attractive. 4 hour drive on highway was comfortable, not very noisy, and handled well. She averages around 38 miles per gallon with about half her time commuting in the highway. Only complaint, and minor to us, is acceleration. But more than adequate to get up and going on the highway. I've only had it to 85, performed fine at that speed. Size makes it absolutely perfect in the city. Great turning radius, certainly no problem parking. Have about 10,000 miles in 6 months, no problems at all. I think we were out the door for 14,000, hard to beat. I am probably going to buy the manual version this summer. Maybe not pink:)"

Like little Sparky

By on Friday, March 22, 2013

Pros: "Lots of looks from people, lots of compliments"

Cons: "a/c cycles, stock speakers are terrible"

"I have owned this vehicle for 7 months now and just turned 6000 Miles. The mylink stereo is awesome, but the speakers stock are terrible. Already replaced them but you just can't get much sound out of small 4" speakers no matter how much they cost. The air conditioner seems to cycle on and off. Since I bought it last year in August, summer was gearing down so I look forward to see how the a/c will perform this summer. I have heard others complain about this as well. It does feel all of the bumps, but that is because of the short wheel base. But hey, it's a small car, you should expect that, it does ride good and there is some road noise at highway speeds, but hey, that's what the volume control on the radio is for right!? It doesn't have much power but then again, that is not why you buy this car. It runs 3000+ RPM's at highway speeds, which to me is high, but I guess that is how they engineered this little 4 banger. If I had to do it all over again, I would have saved my money a little longer and bought the sonic, Sparks big brother. My brother just bought a Sonic and for approximately $2000 more, he got a lot more car than the Spark is."

Fun, attractive, affordable car

By on Thursday, November 22, 2012

Pros: "Price, appearance, gas mileage, size, handling"

Cons: "Acceleration"

"The Spark has an attractive exterior, nice looking, well fit interior. Decent room inside for size of car. 4 adults are reasonably comfortable. Back seat folds flat providing good space. Handles very well, love the turning radius. LT version and up surprisingly well equipped. Car body appears solid and also well fit. Great car, especially for the price. Difficult to find used cars in this price range without a lot of miles and someone elses problems. My wife averages 36 mpg in a mix of city and highway (automatic). She frequently gets cmplements on car and loves it. Only weakness would be acceleration. Manual version would probably preferable, but my wife doesn't want to mess with it. I plan on getting one with a manual next year."

Great lil car

By on Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pros: "Fantastic price"

Cons: "On the base model no power locks"

"So far one of the best cars i ever owned! This car rocks ,fun to drive good gas milage i got over 40.5 on a trip to door county in wisconsin.Plus i payed 11300 minus tax .Around here you can't buy a used car with 20 thousand miles on it. Great warranty roomy as heck inside. We are very happy with the spark ."

Good commuter

By on Saturday, October 06, 2012

"I bought. This car for Communting purposes only and not for everyday driving. So far it's good for that only. I drive on the freeway most of the time and it keeps up with traffic ok at 70mph; however it does not have a enough power to jump into the fast lane right away. Get your speed in the slow lane then jump into the fast lane, otherwise you will get people honking at you. If you drive in areas where there is a lot of hills get a car with more horse power, I don't recommend this car for hill driving. This car is great for parking you fit anywhere. I have a truck so it's like night and day. I purchased the Manual trans and I regret it just a bit."

Two Sparks in the family with manual transmissions

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "everything it does it does well, instrumentation"

Cons: "back seats don't fold flat"

"We bought one new and 10 months later found a used one. They both have manual trannies. The biggest knock I read about the Spark is acceleration. The 5 speed manual resolves that issue. If you want one, you will probably have to test drive an automatic, then hound your dealer until he can locate a stick. They are hard to find. When we bought the new one I had three dealerships competing and it took three days before one was found. For the used one I had to drive 170 miles to Chicago for the closest used one on the market. Was worth the drive."

good car for those on a budget

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Pros: "good on gas"

Cons: "not much power small motor"

"I went to lithia Chevrolet in redding ca expecting to buy a new equinox, but I ended up with a Spark instead. it's a good car for people on a budget, gets around 40 mpg on the freeway and is pretty roomy for a small 4 door hatchback. just don't expect to be racing muscle cars or catching up to them because this car has a very small 1.2 liter underpowered motor. seems to be dependable so far, the only complaint I really have is the power, they should of put a turbo or supercharger on this car, merging onto the freeway is slow only about 45 miles per hour and going up hills is about 55 mph."

Great price! Great Room! Fun to Drive

By on Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pros: "Bluetooth Great head room Mileage Hillstart assist"

Cons: "Little noise on freeway. AC at 85 deg struggles"

"I recently bought the Spark after researching all the tiny cars out there. I was amazed that the Spark came standard with AC, power windows, and power door locks. I got the 1LT trim, manual transmission. It's fun to drive. The shifting is so smooth. It keeps up with traffic and I can fit in the Bike Lane. I live in San Diego and recently drove it to Santa Barbara. Using Stick Shift, Neutral a lot, and cruise control at 66 MPH I was able to get OVER 42 MPG! It's an eye catcher. I would definitely recommend this car with Manual Transmission and at least the 1LT trim (also because dealers are more willing to give you discounts with manual transmission). Bluetooth works great, and I can actually fit four people in it, comfortably. When you see all these average size adults comfortably getting out you'd think you were looking at the old clown car clip. I'm 6 feet tall and I don't have to put the seat all the way back, which is great for the 5 foot 7 person sitting behind me."

The Import Killer Returns!!

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

I want this car

Pros: "Price, Fuel economy, styling, tech equipment, size"

Cons: "slow acceleration, cargo capacity w/ seats up"

"I had the opportunity to drive a Spark recently and was impressed. My initial impression was the next Metro (based on it's size and price) but I couldn't be farther from the truth. The Spark is tiny with an overall length of 144" but thanks to it's well laid out interior it has a surprising amount of interior room. I'm 6'3" and can easily fit up front and even in the back. The only big con is the cargo space with the seats up is really small but who combines double dates and IKEA runs? The Mylink radio is an answer to a tech lover's prayer. The stock speakers are good but heavy bass is fuzzy. Acceleration is adequate for a car with only 84 hp but the fun colors and fuel economy easily make up for that. In town the Spark has no superior and is a snap to park. On the highway the Spark holds its own with ease and maintains highway speeds rather well. Based on the Spark's on board fuel economy computer I averaged 35mpg mixed driving and had a top mpg of 47. For those who want a more earth friendly car the Spark is also 85% recyclable! Overall the Spark is an excellent sub-compact that is a functional, tech savvy, commuter car that is a good choice for people who have a small budget or even for those who do not want to spend a small fortune on a hybrid. Definitely my next car!"

HUGE little car.

By on Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pros: "Lots of space. Great gas mileage."

Cons: "Had to wait dealer to get one."

"Lots of space for a small car. I'm 6'2" and fit comfortably in any seat in the car. Handles great, good power. Great gas mileage."

Awesome value

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pros: "So much fun to drive"

Cons: "No cons"

"I have owned my Spark for close to a year and I absolutely love it. We had an awful winter this year and I was concerned with how it might handle but I was very impressed. I ended up passing many other vehicles when they got stuck and I wasn't!. It isn't a luxurious vehicle, but it is a great value. We loved it so much my husband got one for himself a few months after me."

Highly Recommended Vehicle

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

"This has been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. The mileage is seemingly more than what has was advertised. We got about 320 miles to a tank and only fill up for $21. The best mileage in a car that I have seen thus far, and it pays for itself (in a monthly payment) in about 3 months in gas savings alone in comparison to other cars. The car hugs the road with ease, and as a newer driver this vehicle is super easy to pick up. I was very impressed with the driving performance overall. I have seen some complaints about "slow" acceleration, but the perceived latency is pretty lost on me. The blind spots are super minimal unlike other cars I have driven like the Kia Rio and Forte. I very much enjoy the free 6 months of Onstar that were offered as well. It is such a luxury, and I am contemplating keeping the program. For the price it just cannot be beaten. This has been a splendid car so far! I would recommend this vehicle to anyone that drives in the city and on highways."

This is an awesome car, but!!!!!!!!

By on Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Pros: "Good gas mileage, great price, awesome looking car"

Cons: "A/C needs to work at all times."

"I purchased this car in November of 2012. It now has 12,500 miles on it and it is a pleasure to own, except, for the A/C problem that the dealerships do not know how to fix. The A/C works while I am driving, but blows warm air at idle. Every time I stop at a red light, stop sign, or get caught in late afternoon traffic, the A/C stops working. The General Motors engineers know about this issue (#PIC5858A Insufficient A/C Performance At Idle - June 13, 2013) and I am hoping that they come up with a resolution to repair this issue. I love this little car and hope they can fix the one major flaw that needs to be fixed to make this the car I will suggest to everyone I know. I will update this review and give this car higher scores when/if General Motors fixes the A/C issue."

So far, so good, but...

By on Sunday, May 05, 2013

Pros: "Drives and rides nice, great mpg, looks nice"

Cons: "terrible radio, pointless On Star for me"

"I bough it new and have 2300 mile on it so far. Manual shift. Drives nice and is getting over 40mpg in a mixed driving situation, mostly freeway though. I really like it so far. I have three complaints. One is the radio. I bought the lower price on because the the upper priced one seemed to have a large screen that was really nothing more than a monitor for your phone. No GPS, no extra car data, no high def radio, no CD player, nothing. The lower priced one has a radio that looks to be difficult to change out. A very proprietary hole(s) in the dash take up a lot of space for no particular reason. I would have preferred a radio with a cd player(although I probably would not use it all that much), an aux, and a USB connector. Most car cd/radios have this. My last radio for $80.00 also had a sd card slot. Also the price of the car reflects the cost of having On Star tech already installed, even if you have no intention of using it you are still paying for it, because the price of the car has to reflect the cost of providing it. I'd rather get a few bucks off the car and not have the On Star already there. The last complaint is it has no engine temperature gauge. I still bought the car knowing about the radio and I still really like the car. Right price and I like the way it drives, rides, and looks. I just think GM could do a better job on some of the tech stuff. It's sad that a $50.00 Wal-Mart CD/radio would be a step up!"

Big Value Little Car! long island recommends!

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "Excellent gas Mileage & overall value, very fun !"

Cons: "driver dashboard"

"review: Spark 2LT black granite (long island NY) thanks for looking, going from a jeep liberty 2002 (gas hog around 12mpg) to the chevy spark has been a great transition. this car will pay for itself is fuel economy. i will start with the exterior. Sporty and stylish with fairly decent paint quality. the 2LT wheels are very nice with a sporty design gives the car a nice look. this car looks great backed in the driveway. the chrome accents add a nice touch and fog lights work well and look nice, headlamps also look really nice with the black paint, gives good contrast.interior: my only small complaint is motorcycle dash, its kind of small, i would have preferred a "biult in dash" but it works and for me it is a very minor complaint. Deceivingly roomy, i am 6'1 185 lbs i fit well also arm rest was of no issue to me as others have complained, i have long arms though. leather is ok kind of a vinyl blend, doesnt smell bad to me, i kinda like it. seats are comfortable and form to me well, seat warmers work nicely on a cold day. all power windows locks zip tightly. switchblade key is really nice! the mylink is amazing, everything you want in smart phone world translates to your car. (google mylink to find out more) back seats are comfortable and i can fit ok. leather wrapped electronic steering has radio volume and control at finger tip (extremely useful and convenient) is very smooth. 10 airbags they are everywhere, by your knees ect.this car rides nice for a very small vehicle. with rising fuel costs small cars are the way to go. if you have read up to hear, go to dealership and try out. also go with 2lt if you have the little extra !"

I love my Spark!

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "GREAT value, color options, gas mileage"

Cons: "Engine can get a little bit loud."

"This was my very first four door vehicle! Many people don't realize it's a four door and has way more room on the inside than it looks like it does from the outside. I get many compliments on my car (especially due to it being Techno Pink)! I am not very good at parallel parking, but the Spark makes it so easy! Very nicely can fit in tight spaces. Great for highway driving. The engine can get a little loud, but it's a small car so that is to be expected. Runs great and gets EXCELLENT gas mileage! I drive 60 miles a day approximately and I only fill up once a week. I am a loyal Chevy customer and this car is absolutely wonderful! I really can't say enough good things about it."

Good For The Price Fun To Drive

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "Good Gas Mileage, Cup Holders Plus Bottle Holders"

Cons: "Needs A Little More Pick-up"

"For The Price I Was Surprised By The Way It Handled. Yes, The Pick-up Is A Little Slow But It Isn't A Sports Car. I Traded My Lexus SUV, $65.00 Week Fuel Bill For $21.00 Every 10 Days. I Find It Hold's It Own On The Freeways. 4 Adults Fit Nicely In It Without Feeling Like A Can Of Sardines. The Interior Doesn't Look Like A Cheap Car. I Like Driving It Daily. If You Have A Teen I Would Highly Recommend It."

AMAZING

By on Friday, July 19, 2013

Pros: "fun drive, lots of compliments, great gas milage"

Cons: "gas tank size, no passanger arm rest, pickup speed"

"This is my first car and I have had my car for about a week now. I bought the car with 5 miles on it and now have 500. This car is such a fun ride and gets great gas milage. The only not so good things so far it that it doesnt have an arm rest for the passanger, slow pick up speed, and how small the gas tank is. It holds about 10 gallons but i cant really complain with the distance i get out of it. I have no real issues on the highway and i LOVE the looks and compliments i get on my green spark. Over all its a GREAT car and will keep a smile on your face!"

Fun drive, great gas mileage

By on Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pros: "Great price, great gas mileage, handles well, fun"

Cons: "AC not great sitting still, small side mirrors,"

"I bought my Spark about 6months ago. I absolutely love it. Fun to drive, handles great, and i have gotten tons of compliments on it. For a small car, it is roomy in the front seats. Back seats are somewhat small, but I have had four adults in for short drives several times with no problems at all. Just drove , one way, 400 miles to go on vacation with one person in back seat and she said it was more comfortable than the back seat of another larger vehicle that she had recently been in. I would definitely purchase again. I have seen reviews saying it has no acceleration, but again, for a small car I think it does great. Cargo space is plenty big for groceries and errands, but does not hold a lot of luggage. However, back seats do fold flat and you can fold both sides or just one. The AC does not blow very cold if sitting still in traffic. That has been my biggest complaint so far. Since I don't live in a area where I am in traffic to and from work, that has not been a big issue."

Love the little thing!

By on Monday, February 18, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great mileage, doesn't feel small"

Cons: "Blowing around in the wind."

"I bought this car on a whim. I had a Tahoe and was getting tired of paying $1200.00 of fuel bills every month. I didn't trade in the Tahoe right away just in case... Well I love this car. It is really fun to drive and can cruise down the interstate at 70 no problem. It is not good in the wind or near semi trucks. If you remember you are driving a tiny car and are careful. It's great. The interior is spacious so you forget you are as small as you are. Gas mileage is great. I giggle every time I fill it up. Costs less than buying lunch and I can go over 300 miles on 9 gallons of fuel. The only improvement they could make is add AWD. It would kill the mileage but I can dream. I LOVE my Spark."

Great First car.

By on Monday, February 04, 2013

Pros: "great gas mileage! turns on a dime!"

Cons: "no spare tire."

"I must admit at first this is one small car. But the gas mileage is worth the price you pay for this car because I get anywhere from 38-40 mpg I was amazed! Ever heard looks can be deceiving its true with this car the from the outside it looks small but If your a college student you have all the room you need. It drives great I went from a truck to this car and I admit it was a adjustment. Handles great in the rain to and on clear days as well. I recently had the chance to drive this car on snow and ice. I was again surprised by this car. by any means it would not be my vehicle of choice when it comes to driving in the snow but it did well. The roads the were closed when I was out in that mess was a headache but do to the sparks small size I was able to turn around on these closed roads with ease. it was a good four inches of snow and ice on the road that day and I made it to where I was going. Now how it handles on anymore then that I would not know. But the traction control system the spark uses did not engage that day so I Imagine it could go through a whole lot worse. The front wheel drive help greatly that day. I give this car two thumbs up and hey its a four door! I have decided to buy another spark once I get this one paid for I hear the 2014 fully electric but if they come out with a hybrid that's the one for me. I absolutely love my spark and If you buy one I think you will two."