2014 Chevrolet Spark Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $11,747 - $12,112.

8.4

Based on 112 Ratings for the 2013 - 2015 models.

BEST CAR !!! DON'T WORRY ABOUT SAFETY!!!

By on Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Pros: "great gas millage, very safe, great features"

"I love this car..... Im 5'4 so this is the perfect size for me. It looks small on the outside but its roomy on the inside. I could fit 3 grown men plus me driving in the spark and no one rubbed elbows. I also have two kids and they love the car too. Car seats fit great in the spark. The initial kick off of the car is a little slow due to the 4 cyl but once you get it up it gets moving quick(good for lead foots). DON'T WORRY ABOUT SAFETY!!!I recently got into a car accident in the spark and 2 of 10 airbags deployed after being hit on the front passengers side(not at fault accident). The steering wheel and lower leg air bags went off even though i was hit on the opposite side of the car. Im going to replace my wrecked spark with a new one because i love it so much. Plus filling it for under $30 rocks! Your gas is safe too! The only way to open the gas tank is a lever by the drivers foot! So no sugar in the tank(for teens or angry exs)and no siphoning :)"

Love this car - Great gas mileage

By on Friday, September 06, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage, fun to drive, stylish!"

Cons: "Need to get used to clutch for power"

"I absolutely love this car. When I test drove it I was a little concerned about the get up and go but after buying it and getting it out there, I just needed to figure out the clutch a little. If you hit it wrong, there is absolutely no power at all but all is good now. I filled up today for the first time since the dealership and got 39 mpg on the first tank which really surprised me - it took 8.795 gallons and it cost me $31.65!!! It got 350 miles to the tank which is way more than my last vehicle that got 17 mpg and only about 300 miles to the tank. This model shows me the gas mileage which was only 34.5 mpg but I calculate manually anyway. It also shows me how many miles until I have to fill up. I love the smartphone sync capability and the touch screen radio on this model. The trunk is very small but will hold groceries so that's all good. The back seat has room for mid size adults and smaller but my son at 6' would not be comfortable on a long trip. The interior is nice and for me, this is a very stylish car. I am 40 and happy that I stopped by a Chevy dealer that day."

Economical Every Day Driver

By on Thursday, December 19, 2013

Pros: "Value!"

Cons: "Driver Seat Position"

"I am a car aficionado, and can honestly say this thing does everything I have asked it to do. I drive so many miles to work that buying a nicer vehicle was just out of the cost equation. Sure, a BMW 3 series would be a nice daily driver, but that’s not in the cards. Picked this thing up for under $13k, and has given me 36,000 miles of nearly perfect driving. Sure, it’s only 84 hp. But it only weighs 2,269 lbs, and that’s not a terrible power to weight ratio – I’ve passed many cars going up steep hills. The car has a nice mechanical feel to it – suspension feels planted and steering input feels pretty good. Four adults can fit into this car shockingly comfortably considering its size. There is definitely more room than many other cars in the class (Including class leaders like the Honda Fit and Nissan Versa). It may not have the feel of a Fiat 500, but there is infinitely more value here! I’ve slapped a pair of Nokian WR G3 all season tires on here, and it becomes a billy goat in the snow that is ready to handle all of the hills you give it. Between the narrow tires, and low power, this thing is unstoppable in the snow. Pros: • Value! • Efficiency (36 MPG avg) • Shocking amount of interior space • Go-kart driving characteristics • Light weight Cons: • Driver seat does not slide far enough back • Unrefined suspension • Underpowered above 70 MPH • 4 speed auto is a bit clunky"

Good Value, good buy, tiny car

By on Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pros: "Great price, great mpg, fun and safe, airbags"

Cons: "City Mpg isn't that great, Tiny(good and bad)"

"This is my first car that I actually have bought new and undoubtedly it was a great choice. No buyers remorse even after an accident took it away from me for a couple weeks. This car gets great gas mileage, easily navigates cities and is a breeze to park. A little terrifying on the highway, since the blind spot is pretty bad, but it definitely keeps you awake. That or the option to call anyone from your smartphone anytime over your speaker system will keep you up for those long drives! My cross country drive I averaged about 40 mpg, so those highway estimates are right on. Overall an enjoyable car, that does what it says it will do."

Great Value and Fun

By on Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Pros: "Value, Mileage, design, fun to drive"

Cons: "Road noise, very basic seats"

"I have just purchased a manual 2014 LT. So far, I really love it....hopefully I'll follow up here in a month or two. I love the feel of the clutch and gear shift. Overall it feels very responsive to drive, brakes nicely, etc. The car has lots of great little touches, for a base model of a very basic car, such as the light sensor, and the cool looking and useful dashboard information, all the cupholders and other nicely designed storage space. I've tested out the A/C and it seems to work fine. As to be expected, you do feel and hear a lot of road noise, especially feel speed bumps. It's very noisy in the back seat, but the back seat is not as uncomfortable as I expected in such a small car. This is turning out to have been a great choice for my daily commute...I suspect the downside might be a long trip...I'll be trying that out in a few weeks."

AC does not work, and don't expect support from GM

By on Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Reason: Bad AC and No GM Support

Pros: "Great MPG - 35avg"

Cons: "Air Conditioning? Whats that?"

"This was the first car I ever bought new. And also my first car from GM. I purchased in November of 2012, and as soon as the weather started to warm up in Texas, I knew something was wrong. After 4 trips to dealer service, 2 repairs, 1 new compressor/AC system...I ditched the car. To put it eloquently, the AC system is terrible. And by terrible, I mean it won't cool the car at all. If you live in a warmer climate, please do yourself a favor and run an internet search for "Chevy Spark AC Problem". If I knew this, I would have never purchased this car. This is the biggest regretful purchase I have ever made."

Great Car, But.......

By on Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Pros: "Full featured, Great price"

Cons: "Absolutely worthless A/C"

"I've got the 2LT, and I really love this little car, for my purposes, it handles well, it is comfortable, and it is full featured. It is not a racing car, but it does what it needs to, it is advertised as a city car, and that's what it is. The mylink radio, fog lights, automatic trans, heated seats, full power, etc.,etc., all wrapped in a 4 dr. sedan, for just a touch over 17K, is a great deal. But, the a/c is awful, the air stream from the dash vents blow constantly changing temps, from cool to warm, and back again. This is a widespread problem, affecting almost all Sparks, and GM is aware of it. A bulletin was published acknowledging this problem, with the promise of a fix, but nothing has come of it. They have been replacing compressors, with no results. As much as I like this car, I really couldn't recommend it, until the a/c problem is resolved. So until that happens, I would avoid it."

Amazing value!!

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "Quality, gas mileage, price, size, style"

Cons: "Acceleration"

"I have been driving this car everyday for about three weeks now. I have had to fill it up only once, for $25. Amazing gas mileage. Spacious enough for my needs, cute car. Nice stereo system, even in the basic model. The only draw back is the acceleration, I literally floor it to merge onto the interstate, but it is fine and sturdy once it gets going. I would gladly give up acceleration for such great gas mileage. No complaints. I was deciding between this and the Fiat 500 and the quality of the Spark was superior, for significantly less money. Certainty not regretting that decision. Just FYI if you are looking to buy it, make sure you double check what features you are getting. I got the cheapest model, and it did not come with cruise control, automatic locks, floor mats, and the mirrors must be manually adjusted. I had everything installed that I wanted for less than 1000 dollars extra, but just a warning to check, because some things I assumed were standard in all new cars were not included."

An Honest Review

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

""I bought my Chevy Spark in February of 2013. It's the Jalapeno LS Automatic model. The Chevy Spark is my first car. I became fond of small cars after driving a friends Fiat 500 for a day. I wanted a small car that was good on gas but also needed a car that would fit a baby seat or a child in the back seat being my girlfriend and I discovered she was pregnant during the car buying process. I had test drove a Spark a few month prior to buying one and was really surprised at how well the car handled, rode, and performed for being so small. Being that I had drove other small cars and knew I had to have a back seat, so the Fiat 500 and Scion iQ were out of the question. I ended up getting the Spark and I haven't regretted it yet. It's a great little car. If you read reviews from car websites they'd have you think this car is horrible, it's not!! The car rides great, does it get bumpy on the high way, yes, but not unbearable like they make it sound! The interior is great, my only complaint is that the plastic panels scratch easy. The car steers great and is like driving a big go-kart, it handles very well. I believe the estimated gas for this car is listed wrong at 32/38mpg. The car will never dip under 30mpg even going 75-85mph. The car's sweet spot seems to be 50-65mph, the gas mileage soars at these speeds, 40-44mpg easily! This car gets really good gas mileage! It has never cost more then $30 to fill, normally around $25 being it only gas a 9 gallon tank. The seating is pretty comfortable and you can fit 4 adults in the car. It can be tight for the person sitting behind the driver but it's not bad as long as your not driving longer than 1 hour or so. I live in Indiana so I've had the chance to drive it in the snow. To my surprise the car performs pretty well in snow so no worries there. For 84HP it's not to bad, on some very steep hills it will struggle a little but no where near as bad as I thought! There's not much cargo room but trips to the grocery store will be fine so long as you don't take 4 people along and can use the back seats for storage. So far the Spark has been a really good car for me! If you go in not expecting Cadillac like quality then you will get a lot of value out of this car. I really think value and performance wise it easily beats the Scion iQ and Fiat 500. If you want a small car that's good on gas, runs good, can fit friends and family when needed, and will get you to where you need to go, there's no better choice than a Spark. It's a great car!!"

Love this car

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "Like driving a little sports car and fits my fat _"

Cons: "don't have any"

"I am almost 60 years old and 5'10"and weigh 278 lbs and have arthritis as well as bad knees. When the salesman showed me the spark I looked at him as if he had lost his mind. But I sat in it very easy to get in and get out of. The room in it is great. I drive up and down mountains everyday the little car does fine. No complaints at all. Love the gas mileage. I have a red one(salsa for the yuppies) so my next door nieghbor wants to know when the mowing deck will be in for it. (he has a red riding mower) anyway I would recomend this car to anyone in fact I already have my brother is buying one as soon as the next one comes in."

Awesome car so far... cheap on gas...

By on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pros: "peppy engine, gas mileage"

Cons: "no cons so far so good"

"Great car so far... great on gas... great stereo speakers... a/c is good"

I'm lovin' it!

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

Pros: "Price, Mileage, Options, Hauls four adult humans"

Cons: "No auto-headlights on 2013!"

"I bought the car in Feb 2013. 1LT Manual. For the price, I never expected 'luxury vehicle' standards. I knew what I was getting into. Although, it has more options than I expected! The 7" touchscreen really had me sold. I'm 6'5" and have no problem fitting in the car. It's no V8, but it's definitely fun to drive. I have no problem getting on the highway, with four humans in the car. The manual probably plays a big part in that, because I run the gears pretty high before I shift, while accelerating that fast. I'm averaging around 36 MPG (real numbers, not calculated by the vehicle). The interior plastic scratches very easily. You can scratch it with your fingernails. So after 6 months of driving it, the scratches start showing up everywhere. There have been many complaints about the A/C not functioning. I've only driven the car a handful of times this summer (I prefer my bike). But the few times I actually needed the A/C, it worked like a champ. It won't cause ice cycles, but it does the job, for having a lawnmower engine. The speakers are a joke. They sound more like headphone speakers, but in comes the 'budget car' standards. It's better than nothing! It also doesn't come with a spare tire. It has a can of "tire sealant" and a compressor. It's not a deal breaker for me, my other vehicle has the same thing. If I had to pick one thing I don't like about this vehicle, it would be the daytime running lights, and lack of auto-on headlights. The 2014 models have the auto headlights. The DRL are the headlights, with full power to them. So If you take off without turning the lights on, you will be able to see fine, but your other lights aren't lit up. You would never know that you have no taillights, since the cluster lights are always illuminated. A bit dangerous, if you ask me. I love the car. It does it's job, I've had no problems this far!"

Near Perfection

By on Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, look, and value"

Cons: "Acceleration"

"I bought the Chevy Spark 2013 over a month ago now. I got the LS version. I use it for driving around a Phoenix metro suburb. GAS MILEAGE: Excellent. I filled her up today at a gas station and spent less than $20. The tank was more than half empty when I filled her up. I had good gas mileage with my last car (a Dodge Neon), but this car is even better. You go longer not having to fill the car up and it feels like it just takes seconds to refill it. If you spend a lot on gas, filling this car up instead will blow your mind. EXTERIOR: Looks great - I receive compliments on the car all the time from random people who see me at the gas station or in the parking lot. You get to choose from several colors at no extra charge. I got the green jalepeno one. Also, this car is 5 doors, but it looks like just two in the front plus the hatchback because the door handles blend in with the exterior, which gives you the convenience of a 4-door plus a sporty look. INTERIOR: Also great. The control buttons are smooth and easy to reach. The car feels bigger on the inside because they actually make this car taller than expected - it's taller than my mom's Chevy Cobalt mid-sized sedan. The exterior color is splashed on the inside and on the cloth seats. You ran raise or lower the steering wheel and seat. VALUE: Extremely good value. Inexpensive, amazing gas mileage, and good design. PERFORMANCE: The performance is the only con of this car. It is slow to accelerate from 30 - 40 MPH. It's perfectly fine for street traveling, but I wouldn't want to get on a metered freeway with this car (where you have to stop at a light at the entrance before you must quickly accelerate onto the freeway). If the freeway isn't metered, you won't have any worries getting up to speed. Once it is up to speed though, it's a smooth ride."

Excellent car for the price

By on Friday, April 05, 2013

Pros: "Attractive, well-equipped, great price"

Cons: "Would have preferred 6 speed auto."

"My wife drives the techno pink version. Actually, color description is deceptive. Fairly subdued pink. She loves it. It is an automatic, LT trim. Very well equipped. Surprisingly roomy inside. I am 6 foot, 200 pounds, fit fine in front, even in back I am ok. While interior is not plush, it is attractive. 4 hour drive on highway was comfortable, not very noisy, and handled well. She averages around 38 miles per gallon with about half her time commuting in the highway. Only complaint, and minor to us, is acceleration. But more than adequate to get up and going on the highway. I've only had it to 85, performed fine at that speed. Size makes it absolutely perfect in the city. Great turning radius, certainly no problem parking. Have about 10,000 miles in 6 months, no problems at all. I think we were out the door for 14,000, hard to beat. I am probably going to buy the manual version this summer. Maybe not pink:)"

Like little Sparky

By on Friday, March 22, 2013

Pros: "Lots of looks from people, lots of compliments"

Cons: "a/c cycles, stock speakers are terrible"

"I have owned this vehicle for 7 months now and just turned 6000 Miles. The mylink stereo is awesome, but the speakers stock are terrible. Already replaced them but you just can't get much sound out of small 4" speakers no matter how much they cost. The air conditioner seems to cycle on and off. Since I bought it last year in August, summer was gearing down so I look forward to see how the a/c will perform this summer. I have heard others complain about this as well. It does feel all of the bumps, but that is because of the short wheel base. But hey, it's a small car, you should expect that, it does ride good and there is some road noise at highway speeds, but hey, that's what the volume control on the radio is for right!? It doesn't have much power but then again, that is not why you buy this car. It runs 3000+ RPM's at highway speeds, which to me is high, but I guess that is how they engineered this little 4 banger. If I had to do it all over again, I would have saved my money a little longer and bought the sonic, Sparks big brother. My brother just bought a Sonic and for approximately $2000 more, he got a lot more car than the Spark is."

Fun, attractive, affordable car

By on Thursday, November 22, 2012

Pros: "Price, appearance, gas mileage, size, handling"

Cons: "Acceleration"

"The Spark has an attractive exterior, nice looking, well fit interior. Decent room inside for size of car. 4 adults are reasonably comfortable. Back seat folds flat providing good space. Handles very well, love the turning radius. LT version and up surprisingly well equipped. Car body appears solid and also well fit. Great car, especially for the price. Difficult to find used cars in this price range without a lot of miles and someone elses problems. My wife averages 36 mpg in a mix of city and highway (automatic). She frequently gets cmplements on car and loves it. Only weakness would be acceleration. Manual version would probably preferable, but my wife doesn't want to mess with it. I plan on getting one with a manual next year."

Great lil car

By on Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pros: "Fantastic price"

Cons: "On the base model no power locks"

"So far one of the best cars i ever owned! This car rocks ,fun to drive good gas milage i got over 40.5 on a trip to door county in wisconsin.Plus i payed 11300 minus tax .Around here you can't buy a used car with 20 thousand miles on it. Great warranty roomy as heck inside. We are very happy with the spark ."

Good commuter

By on Saturday, October 06, 2012

"I bought. This car for Communting purposes only and not for everyday driving. So far it's good for that only. I drive on the freeway most of the time and it keeps up with traffic ok at 70mph; however it does not have a enough power to jump into the fast lane right away. Get your speed in the slow lane then jump into the fast lane, otherwise you will get people honking at you. If you drive in areas where there is a lot of hills get a car with more horse power, I don't recommend this car for hill driving. This car is great for parking you fit anywhere. I have a truck so it's like night and day. I purchased the Manual trans and I regret it just a bit."

Two Sparks in the family with manual transmissions

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "everything it does it does well, instrumentation"

Cons: "back seats don't fold flat"

"We bought one new and 10 months later found a used one. They both have manual trannies. The biggest knock I read about the Spark is acceleration. The 5 speed manual resolves that issue. If you want one, you will probably have to test drive an automatic, then hound your dealer until he can locate a stick. They are hard to find. When we bought the new one I had three dealerships competing and it took three days before one was found. For the used one I had to drive 170 miles to Chicago for the closest used one on the market. Was worth the drive."

good car for those on a budget

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Pros: "good on gas"

Cons: "not much power small motor"

"I went to lithia Chevrolet in redding ca expecting to buy a new equinox, but I ended up with a Spark instead. it's a good car for people on a budget, gets around 40 mpg on the freeway and is pretty roomy for a small 4 door hatchback. just don't expect to be racing muscle cars or catching up to them because this car has a very small 1.2 liter underpowered motor. seems to be dependable so far, the only complaint I really have is the power, they should of put a turbo or supercharger on this car, merging onto the freeway is slow only about 45 miles per hour and going up hills is about 55 mph."

Great price! Great Room! Fun to Drive

By on Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pros: "Bluetooth Great head room Mileage Hillstart assist"

Cons: "Little noise on freeway. AC at 85 deg struggles"

"I recently bought the Spark after researching all the tiny cars out there. I was amazed that the Spark came standard with AC, power windows, and power door locks. I got the 1LT trim, manual transmission. It's fun to drive. The shifting is so smooth. It keeps up with traffic and I can fit in the Bike Lane. I live in San Diego and recently drove it to Santa Barbara. Using Stick Shift, Neutral a lot, and cruise control at 66 MPH I was able to get OVER 42 MPG! It's an eye catcher. I would definitely recommend this car with Manual Transmission and at least the 1LT trim (also because dealers are more willing to give you discounts with manual transmission). Bluetooth works great, and I can actually fit four people in it, comfortably. When you see all these average size adults comfortably getting out you'd think you were looking at the old clown car clip. I'm 6 feet tall and I don't have to put the seat all the way back, which is great for the 5 foot 7 person sitting behind me."

The Import Killer Returns!!

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

I want this car

Pros: "Price, Fuel economy, styling, tech equipment, size"

Cons: "slow acceleration, cargo capacity w/ seats up"

"I had the opportunity to drive a Spark recently and was impressed. My initial impression was the next Metro (based on it's size and price) but I couldn't be farther from the truth. The Spark is tiny with an overall length of 144" but thanks to it's well laid out interior it has a surprising amount of interior room. I'm 6'3" and can easily fit up front and even in the back. The only big con is the cargo space with the seats up is really small but who combines double dates and IKEA runs? The Mylink radio is an answer to a tech lover's prayer. The stock speakers are good but heavy bass is fuzzy. Acceleration is adequate for a car with only 84 hp but the fun colors and fuel economy easily make up for that. In town the Spark has no superior and is a snap to park. On the highway the Spark holds its own with ease and maintains highway speeds rather well. Based on the Spark's on board fuel economy computer I averaged 35mpg mixed driving and had a top mpg of 47. For those who want a more earth friendly car the Spark is also 85% recyclable! Overall the Spark is an excellent sub-compact that is a functional, tech savvy, commuter car that is a good choice for people who have a small budget or even for those who do not want to spend a small fortune on a hybrid. Definitely my next car!"

HUGE little car.

By on Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pros: "Lots of space. Great gas mileage."

Cons: "Had to wait dealer to get one."

"Lots of space for a small car. I'm 6'2" and fit comfortably in any seat in the car. Handles great, good power. Great gas mileage."

Awesome value

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pros: "So much fun to drive"

Cons: "No cons"

"I have owned my Spark for close to a year and I absolutely love it. We had an awful winter this year and I was concerned with how it might handle but I was very impressed. I ended up passing many other vehicles when they got stuck and I wasn't!. It isn't a luxurious vehicle, but it is a great value. We loved it so much my husband got one for himself a few months after me."

Highly Recommended Vehicle

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

"This has been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. The mileage is seemingly more than what has was advertised. We got about 320 miles to a tank and only fill up for $21. The best mileage in a car that I have seen thus far, and it pays for itself (in a monthly payment) in about 3 months in gas savings alone in comparison to other cars. The car hugs the road with ease, and as a newer driver this vehicle is super easy to pick up. I was very impressed with the driving performance overall. I have seen some complaints about "slow" acceleration, but the perceived latency is pretty lost on me. The blind spots are super minimal unlike other cars I have driven like the Kia Rio and Forte. I very much enjoy the free 6 months of Onstar that were offered as well. It is such a luxury, and I am contemplating keeping the program. For the price it just cannot be beaten. This has been a splendid car so far! I would recommend this vehicle to anyone that drives in the city and on highways."