2015 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $13,367 - $14,240.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Info valid for your area through 07/28/2016

10/9.0

Based on 162 Ratings for the 2012 - 2016 models.

Surprisingly Nice

By on Saturday, February 13, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, higher in quality than I expected."

Cons: "Hard to get in and out if you are above 6' tall."

"Bought this used for my wife as she had problems driving my big Equinox. Bought it used in Nov, 2015 - a certified vehicle from a GM dealer. Had less than 15k miles. Only problem I had with it is getting into it - have to lower the seat all the way and have it in the full back position. But surprisingly a lot of pep for the little 4 cylinder, good but not great gas mileage. 6-speed trans is nice. Rides quiet and fun to drive. The only reason I rated it as an 8 in "Reliability" is because when was test driving it the check engine light came on. Dealer had it fixed and no problems since. Nice little car."

Great car but honest review

By on Friday, August 22, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage using the turbo and 6spd,"

Cons: "one arm rest"

"I've purchased this car specifically because I commute 120 miles per day round trip. I opted for the LT-1 Turbo, so mid level with onstar and mylink radio. My car has cloth interior and both sets of mats, power locks and windows but manual seats. It has the 1.4L Turbo with the 6 spd manual. Engine performance: Now, I own a turbo diesel truck so I am up to speed on turbo lag. This car is no different in that department, except what I found is that if you blip the throttle then give it some gas turbo lag is non-existent. It is just something you get used to and remember when pulling across a side street. Transmission: The gearing between 1-2-3 is pretty tall and in some cases you will lug the engine if you are not paying attention. But where this car shines is the 5th and 6th gear. They are a great ratio and add to fuel economy. Shifting is smooth and precise. Sometimes though if you are not paying attention or being too easy on the gas you will miss 6th and drop it into 4th. Fuel economy. Because I commute such a distance and I have taken this vehicle on road a couple road trips, I can definitely talk to the fuel economy aspect of this car. The first week I had this car 52.6 mpg was the norm at 65mph. Now it has settle into 48.9 mpg average across my 60 mile commute over rolling terrain. I have two routes I can take. The 48mpg is a back country open highway, the second route is an urban freeway with lots of overpasses to climb. When taking this route the car will average 44.6mpg. note these trips are all with the A/C on, which actually doesn't ever seem to change the MPG at all. One major factor I have found is the type of fuel and from what gas station will cause the fuel economy to go up or down. I found that Conoco or Chevron both yield the worse mileage ratings over the coarse of two full tanks or for me two weeks worth of driving. I run premium which I have also found yields 3-4mpg better, which over my 22K miles per year is an extra $107, for the year. I found that Shell, safeway, Costco and Mavrick country stores yield the best MPG ratings. I am assuming it is because they do not place addatives into the fuel. Also, I know the Conoco has ethanol which drops the mpg ratings. Audio- This car is not Apple product friendly. The USB port is worthless for apple products and the blue tooth support is sporadic with apple as well. However using any android device including my Samsung tablet, the car has no issues. You can even plug in an external hard drive or USB stick. Show pictures on the screen or play movies and media files from the device. OnStar and Hands free. This car has some cool features in the Mylink system. On the steering wheel you can control your phone and make a phone call from your cell phone. Or on the rear view mirror you can use the vehicles built in cell service to make a phone call. Both calls go through the vehicles speaker system. The onstar function is actually pretty cool. I have used it a lot for directions. Call onstar, tell them where you want to go and they beam you the directions right to your stereo. It then gives you turn by turn directions to where you want to go. No actual navigation required. Driving impressions: You have to face reality, this is a sub-compact car. But there is still room for a small family on a short road trip. We have used it twice to take a 6 hour drive with two adults and two teenagers. So 4 people in the car. The kids never complained once and said they had enough room. But to be fair to them I did stop a few times. This car is zippy and nimble. I am always amazed that it can turn around on a one lane road and the uturn in a parking lot is just amazing. But then again, coming from an F350, a 777 on a runway can turn better. Overall this car is a great fun little car. The gas mileage with the Turbo 6spd is off the charts. The fit and finish is very good and the build quality is stellar. If I had one complaint it is the fact there is only one arm rest in the car. But it you had two, it would cover up the cup holders, so that makes sense. FYI, my car is the sedan and not the hatchback. Now for the other side of things. My wife took this car on a road trip from Utah to Idaho, to Nevada and back to Utah. She said that she really likes this car. That is saying a lot for a person that is used to driving a Honda Pilot with plenty of room. She raved about the radio and how easy the car was to drive, even though it is a manual transmission. When ever I am home she opts to take the Sonic to run errands or even pick the kids up from school. That just goes to show you how good of a package this little car is. I plan on giving it to my son in couple years when he starts driving."

very basic car

By on Friday, April 17, 2015

Pros: "sharp looking"

Cons: "Hard to reach cupholders, no cd player"

"Just a very basic car for lots of money. The 6 speed transmission can't decide what gear to be in when trying to go up hills.At times the steering hesitates. It doesn't get any where near the suggested gas mileage. The value dropped $5,000 when I drove it off the lot."

Terrific Car

By on Monday, December 29, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, economical"

Cons: "only what you can see by looking -- e.g. small"

"Fun to drive & I've never had to do ANY repairs, not even warranty. 38 mpg combined highway & local."

Best Car For The Price

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "Price, Gas, Stiling, Safety, fun to drive."

Cons: "Small trunk, what do you except?"

"I have 2013 Sonic Turbo 1.4L 5 door Ltz. I have 17 cars and trucks. All are SRT Supercharged/ Turbo Dodge's and am used to power. This car is great as far as power and gas mileage. The safety rating is the best for this size of car. I bought this car for in town and has lived up to its name. I have had many complements, in regards to stile and performance. From 0 - 60mph its faster then the Camaro & Mustangs v-6's and gets about 38MPG. I would buy this car all over again. Totally love it for the bang for the buck!!!!"