2014 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $19,037 - $19,492.

10/7.7

Based on 111 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Great little car

By on Saturday, October 11, 2014

Pros: "Peppy. Fun to drive. Best in class for the price."

Cons: "Air conditioning could be better."

"I am retired and drive mostly short trips. The turbo works great, I am one of the fastest car on the road. I had a BMW 325i before this and there is not that much difference. Of course it is small, but has plenty of room for two people and a lot of baggage. And gas consumption is great, I average about 28 MPG on an average speed of around 35 MPH. So pretty good. At 65 I get almost 40 MPG."

C+

By on Thursday, October 09, 2014

Pros: "Good power and handling, decent fuel economy."

Cons: "MyLink is useless, basic creature comforts lacking"

"I have a 2014 Sonic LT, 6A, MyLink. It's OK for what it is (a low-end disposable runabout), but it has some... issues. MyLink doesn't even come close to living up to the hype. Three audio streaming apps and one nav app that appears to be barely out of beta isn't what I call useful. The system doesn't even look at track number info in mp3 files and doesn't recognize m3u playlists that literally every other playback system has used for 10 years. You don't want your albums played in alphabetical order? You can either deal with it, or manually retag your files. You can't even delete the preset favorites in the bands that you don't use. Performance: surprisingly decent, considering. Off the line, it's faster than my '12 Cruze LS (same engine, 6M trans). Acceleration on the move is very good. Steering is solid when it should be and light when it needs to be. The brakes are numb for the first half inch of pedal, then grabby. Comfort and Quality: The ride is comfortably solid, with no rattles or squeaks. The incredibly obnoxious headrest angle can be mitigated somewhat by reclining the seatback and lifting the headrest to its maximum height. The seat pans are reasonably firm and supportive, but there's only one skinny armrest for the driver and front passenger to fight over and no center armrest at all in back. Since the only people likely to be back there will be in booster seats, I suppose this is a fair omission. The HVAC is very good, but the controls feel... weird. The temperature control detents are squishy and vague. I don't exactly regret having bought a Sonic, but I'll be bringing it back as soon as I can get the payoff below trade value."

Good mileage and decent power

By on Saturday, September 06, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive on back roads or interstate"

Cons: "one arm rest"

"I drive about an hour each day and the sonic is the perfect car for day to day driving. It has features from the more expensive models and was still in my price range."

A Nice Little Car for the Price

By on Friday, September 05, 2014

"I bought this car because it is assembled in USA. My car is 2013 LTZ with 5 speed manual transmission, gas mileage is excellent, combine highway and city, 33.9 miles. I drove the car cross the country, it's given me a lot fun! The only thing is the clock synchronization is not working and the leather seats look like fake. Otherwise, it is a perfect car! Thanks GM!"

Great car but honest review

By on Friday, August 22, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage using the turbo and 6spd,"

Cons: "one arm rest"

"I've purchased this car specifically because I commute 120 miles per day round trip. I opted for the LT-1 Turbo, so mid level with onstar and mylink radio. My car has cloth interior and both sets of mats, power locks and windows but manual seats. It has the 1.4L Turbo with the 6 spd manual. Engine performance: Now, I own a turbo diesel truck so I am up to speed on turbo lag. This car is no different in that department, except what I found is that if you blip the throttle then give it some gas turbo lag is non-existent. It is just something you get used to and remember when pulling across a side street. Transmission: The gearing between 1-2-3 is pretty tall and in some cases you will lug the engine if you are not paying attention. But where this car shines is the 5th and 6th gear. They are a great ratio and add to fuel economy. Shifting is smooth and precise. Sometimes though if you are not paying attention or being too easy on the gas you will miss 6th and drop it into 4th. Fuel economy. Because I commute such a distance and I have taken this vehicle on road a couple road trips, I can definitely talk to the fuel economy aspect of this car. The first week I had this car 52.6 mpg was the norm at 65mph. Now it has settle into 48.9 mpg average across my 60 mile commute over rolling terrain. I have two routes I can take. The 48mpg is a back country open highway, the second route is an urban freeway with lots of overpasses to climb. When taking this route the car will average 44.6mpg. note these trips are all with the A/C on, which actually doesn't ever seem to change the MPG at all. One major factor I have found is the type of fuel and from what gas station will cause the fuel economy to go up or down. I found that Conoco or Chevron both yield the worse mileage ratings over the coarse of two full tanks or for me two weeks worth of driving. I run premium which I have also found yields 3-4mpg better, which over my 22K miles per year is an extra $107, for the year. I found that Shell, safeway, Costco and Mavrick country stores yield the best MPG ratings. I am assuming it is because they do not place addatives into the fuel. Also, I know the Conoco has ethanol which drops the mpg ratings. Audio- This car is not Apple product friendly. The USB port is worthless for apple products and the blue tooth support is sporadic with apple as well. However using any android device including my Samsung tablet, the car has no issues. You can even plug in an external hard drive or USB stick. Show pictures on the screen or play movies and media files from the device. OnStar and Hands free. This car has some cool features in the Mylink system. On the steering wheel you can control your phone and make a phone call from your cell phone. Or on the rear view mirror you can use the vehicles built in cell service to make a phone call. Both calls go through the vehicles speaker system. The onstar function is actually pretty cool. I have used it a lot for directions. Call onstar, tell them where you want to go and they beam you the directions right to your stereo. It then gives you turn by turn directions to where you want to go. No actual navigation required. Driving impressions: You have to face reality, this is a sub-compact car. But there is still room for a small family on a short road trip. We have used it twice to take a 6 hour drive with two adults and two teenagers. So 4 people in the car. The kids never complained once and said they had enough room. But to be fair to them I did stop a few times. This car is zippy and nimble. I am always amazed that it can turn around on a one lane road and the uturn in a parking lot is just amazing. But then again, coming from an F350, a 777 on a runway can turn better. Overall this car is a great fun little car. The gas mileage with the Turbo 6spd is off the charts. The fit and finish is very good and the build quality is stellar. If I had one complaint it is the fact there is only one arm rest in the car. But it you had two, it would cover up the cup holders, so that makes sense. FYI, my car is the sedan and not the hatchback. Now for the other side of things. My wife took this car on a road trip from Utah to Idaho, to Nevada and back to Utah. She said that she really likes this car. That is saying a lot for a person that is used to driving a Honda Pilot with plenty of room. She raved about the radio and how easy the car was to drive, even though it is a manual transmission. When ever I am home she opts to take the Sonic to run errands or even pick the kids up from school. That just goes to show you how good of a package this little car is. I plan on giving it to my son in couple years when he starts driving."