2014 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $18,968 - $19,445.

10/7.7

Based on 114 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Great Small Car

By on Sunday, October 26, 2014

Pros: "Great Price, Good MPG, and nice pickup"

Cons: "One arm rest, Seats could be better."

"I drive at least an hr every day on my daily drive and love the pickup and fuel economy. Its fun and is a great little car."

Quick, fun little car

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Pros: "Sporty, economical, easy to park and drive."

Cons: "driver armrest is weird. shift to 3rd is strange."

"I picked the Hatchback and it has proven to be quite a fun little car to drive. I would suggest the 1.4 stickshift turbo, because I picked the automatic 1.8 and I think the car would be a lot more fun as a turbo stickshift. With that said, I have found the interior seating to be ok for the price. The comforts and media options for 2012 were better than any other car in its class, mainly because they come standard. The car handles pretty well and has an easy way about it when driving in any condition. The car drives comfortably in the rain, the snow and in LA/DC traffic. The trunk space could be increased because it's difficult to fit stuff with people in the back. If you are by yourself, the back with the seats down provides a ton of space. There is a slight blind spot to the right where the pillar is at, but check a couple of times and you're fine. The gas mileage is decent for the 1.8. I get an average of 35mpg if I can maintain freeway speed under 68 (max). Anything over that and the mpg drops. If you are driving through town, instead of the freeway, then expect to get closer to 30mpg. Other than that, the car is sporty, fun and economical."

Looked at many small cars, and this was best.

By on Monday, October 20, 2014

Pros: "Mileage, style, power, driveability"

Cons: "Tiny gauge cluster; lacks engine temperature."

"Have not owned a Chevy since a 1960 model. Sonic is our most trouble-free car ever. Oil life (according to its sensor) could go 10,000 miles, but must be changed at least annually, to keep warranty valid. I wanted Union Built USA vehicle; note: this has about 50% Korean-made Parts. Top Crash Safety rated; 10 airbags. Great Hatchback styling appears to be a 2-door wagon; 4 adults fit just fine. Has reasonable cargo space; privacy cover clips are flimsy (broke), but the cover works better if clips are actually removed! Amazing turbo power when needed, yet 1.4L engine gets over 50mpg highway. With 6 speed transmission, it occasionally hunts for a gear (when going from coast to accelerate). Gets best mileage over speed 42, as 6th gear is reached (overdrive?). Mileage falls with wind resistance, over speed 55mph. Takes corners like a race-car; is fine in 5- inch snow. LT model has virtually every accessory, including cruise, power windows, remote start, great speaker system. Thick pillars and the headrests obstruct most rearward vision, but dual-lens side-view mirrors help immensely. Just like our 2000 Ford Focus, a little warmed air comes through the heater/air conditioner system whenever the fan-only is turned on, and dial set to coolest."

Great little car

By on Saturday, October 11, 2014

Pros: "Peppy. Fun to drive. Best in class for the price."

Cons: "Air conditioning could be better."

"I am retired and drive mostly short trips. The turbo works great, I am one of the fastest car on the road. I had a BMW 325i before this and there is not that much difference. Of course it is small, but has plenty of room for two people and a lot of baggage. And gas consumption is great, I average about 28 MPG on an average speed of around 35 MPH. So pretty good. At 65 I get almost 40 MPG."

C+

By on Thursday, October 09, 2014

Pros: "Good power and handling, decent fuel economy."

Cons: "MyLink is useless, basic creature comforts lacking"

"I have a 2014 Sonic LT, 6A, MyLink. It's OK for what it is (a low-end disposable runabout), but it has some... issues. MyLink doesn't even come close to living up to the hype. Three audio streaming apps and one nav app that appears to be barely out of beta isn't what I call useful. The system doesn't even look at track number info in mp3 files and doesn't recognize m3u playlists that literally every other playback system has used for 10 years. You don't want your albums played in alphabetical order? You can either deal with it, or manually retag your files. You can't even delete the preset favorites in the bands that you don't use. Performance: surprisingly decent, considering. Off the line, it's faster than my '12 Cruze LS (same engine, 6M trans). Acceleration on the move is very good. Steering is solid when it should be and light when it needs to be. The brakes are numb for the first half inch of pedal, then grabby. Comfort and Quality: The ride is comfortably solid, with no rattles or squeaks. The incredibly obnoxious headrest angle can be mitigated somewhat by reclining the seatback and lifting the headrest to its maximum height. The seat pans are reasonably firm and supportive, but there's only one skinny armrest for the driver and front passenger to fight over and no center armrest at all in back. Since the only people likely to be back there will be in booster seats, I suppose this is a fair omission. The HVAC is very good, but the controls feel... weird. The temperature control detents are squishy and vague. I don't exactly regret having bought a Sonic, but I'll be bringing it back as soon as I can get the payoff below trade value."