2014 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $14,230 - $14,529.

10/7.7

Based on 102 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

Awesome car, Fun, Fast and excellent 40 plus MPG.

By on Sunday, December 09, 2012

Pros: "Great Value, great MPG, great fun to drive."

Cons: "Wish I had a center arm rest."

"Decided to sell my 2001 Jeep Cherokee because of fuel economy and started to do the research. I really wanted to stick with domestic so my search was narowed to the Chevy Sonic and the Ford Fiesta and I did not want to wait for the Dodge Dart. Drove the Fiesta and the Sonic and there was no comparison, the Chevy rode better, was quicker, quiet and very comfortable. My research led me to order a sedan LT with the 1.4 Turbo, six speed manual. We have now driven over 5000 miles with a combined fuel avearge of 40MPG since we bought the car. If you are in the market for a subcompact car you really need to check out the Sonic. This car has exceeded all of our expectations and for someone who had not owned a GM vehicle for years it has created a new confidence that we can build a car in Michigan, USA, that can compete with the best in the world. Nice job Chevrolet, and thanks to the Lake Orion workers who have built a world class car. Keep it up!"

Best of Both Worlds

By on Thursday, November 22, 2012

Pros: "Fuel Mileage, Looks, Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Cup Holders, Some Cheap Plastic,"

"I've had my sonic for approximately 6 months and I'm a satisfied customer. I have the turbo 1.4L and would highly recommend this motor over the 1.8. It's only a 750.00 dollar option, but gives better fuel mileage and more power. If styling and buying an American made product are two high concerns, then look no further. Assembled in Lake Orion Michigan by American workers with a look and stance that clearly sets it apart from its predecessors. It has four fully functional doors, but has the sportiness look of a two door. It was motorcycle inspired and has a gauge cluster as well as a set of headlights that are unlike anything else on the market. I'm currently averaging 42 MPG and have had zero problems. I've recently installed a performance tune and I'm now at 178 Horsepower and 198 ft lb of torque. All of this while still averaging 40MPG. Anyone looking for a great commuter car that has a little get-up and most of all "American Made," look no further. This car will go down in history as the "sleeper" that was overlooked."

30+ MPG and a Very Smooth Ride!

By on Saturday, October 06, 2012

"I purchased my Sonic LT sedan (1.8 engine, 6-speed sutomatic) a month ago and I must say I have enjoyed driving it thus far. I traded in my 2002 impala for this car for the higher mpg's and was ready to downsize. After test driving the car, I knew I had to have it. I have driven the car about 750 miles so far and am consistently getting 30+ mpg. At the last fill up, I had a combined 30.5 mpg (70% highway 30% city). This was my manual calculation. The onboard computer recorded 31.4 so the calculations were very close. Of course, I have been driving rather conservatively, usually going 60-65 mph. I love how the car drives. The engine has great power for a car of this size and it drives very smoothly. Also, the steering is light but not too light. The car is great on the highway as well as the city streets. I really like the features that the LT has. I like the bluetooth, the cruise control, and all the cubby holes to store certain items. The interior looks great and the cloth seats are very comfortable. Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase. It is an awesome looking car with a decent amount of power under the hood."

28,000+ miles average mpg I'm getting 34!

By on Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Pros: "great little car. Can park it anywhere."

Cons: "Buy cruise, save speeding ticket costs"

"I only wish I had bought cruise. I cost me a speeding ticket; so fast so quiet it's easy to have to "back off" when just talking and driving! Combined city and highway with 93 octane clean gas my dashboard computer says 34.1 mpg. With the rear seat folded down I even hauled 4- 3' by 3' new windows, stacked, with the rear hatch closed. Lots of behind the front seat space. My wife wants me to buy her one; with cruise."

Very happy with my Sonic

By on Monday, October 01, 2012

Pros: "Gas mileage, plenty of pep, comfortable on trips."

Cons: "A little hesitant going uphill."

"I bought my 2012 Sonic LT turbo in feb of 2012 and have loved driving it. I've taken it on 2 long trips (florida to missouri in march (1200 miles) and florida to michigan in july (1300 miles)) it was a pleasure to drive, deceptively comfortable and great on gas. Also, much more space inside than you would think. The Sonic is practical, sporty, and has plenty of pep too. I would highly recommend it."

Fantastic car.

By on Friday, August 17, 2012

Pros: "Great price, great features"

"A fantastic car. Mileage is fantastic, but the turbo 1.4 still has plenty of get up and go. It is super fun to drive, and handles great. Ride is smooth and quiet, and the manual transmission is super smooth and easy to work. If you can't drive a manual, leaning on this car would be easy. Comes with lots of great features, I love the second glove box with USB and auxiliary. The leatherette seating is comfortable and looks great. The layout of the console is great, and gauge cluster is fantastic (I thought it would look tacky in person). The hatchback has good space in the rear for a small car, and the floor can be lowered for more space. The cargo cover stores easily. Overall build quality is good, obviously there is a lot of plastic. It is to be expected, the car starts at a very low price. That being said, everything looks great. Nothing looks cheap, buttons feel solid. Plus, no one really touches their dashboard, so it doesn't matter if it is plastic! I've only had it for 1000 miles, so I can't really comment on reliability. My only complaint is that the bluetooth doesn't show song information from my iPhone, although I could just be doing something wrong. Overall, I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a small hatchback that is fun to drive and gets great fuel economy. I test drove the Veloster and Focus as well, and I thought the Sonic looked the best and was the best to drive. I really can't recommend it enough!"

Great vehicle for the price!

By on Friday, August 17, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "No cruise control, cup holder placement"

"Bought the LS Base Model Sonic for my daughter back in May. Immediately took it on vacation, putting 1,900 miles on it. Was pleasently surprised on it's comfort and handling. I have a bad back and have difficulty with long drives and the seats in the Sonic gave me no problem. Back seat comfort was adequate as well as the leg room. Gas mileage on the highway is fantastic. Only wish it had a bigger gas tank and cruise control. Only issue I have is with a defect in the paint on the hood; looks like a chemical stain underneath the clearcoat. Pointed out to the dealership two months ago and still waiting for a response."

VERY DISAPPOINTED

By on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Cons: "DONT BUY THIS CAR"

"1st I've had problems with this car from day 1. While driving during moderate to heavy rain storms the visibility is very dangerous. Translation - I do not drive this car during moderate rain storms. The dealer has witnessed this and concluded there is a definite problem - Quality 2nd party wiper blades are not available. Also the wiper blade speed is slow at fastest point - If considering this car test it during a moderate to moderate/heavy rainfall. 2nd Chevy has definitely found a problem with voice command. I am from Michigan and speak very clearly. This system is all screwed up. Sometimes it works - Sometimes it doesn't. The dealership showed me a notice put out by the manufacturer that there is definitely a problem. 3rd Also, there is a major problem with hands free bluetooth which is an additional issue which the dealership acknowledged there have been many complaint. 4th The front end slightly shimmies"

Does it get better?

By on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage"

Cons: "front seats have to sudden high lift on sides."

"Now, I have reveiwed this car before in the first couple thousand miles but got better news with some updates! First I changed the first oil change using valvoline dura blend (half synthetic) and on the hwy at 60mph I got an increase of 4-5 mpg bringing it to 51-52mpg. Now this is in the best conditions with no a/c on. It seems to cost 7-10 mpg loss with a/c running on hwy. Then I thought, why not go with full synthetic. Well, I am happy to report that in the same conditions that I am now getting 55-56mpg @ 60 mph on hwy. I have no idea the horsepower increase but I feal the difference on take off and 2+3 gears. Note: I have a 1.4 turbo with six speed manual trans. Looking forwared to the winter testing!"

Love the hill start assist!

By on Monday, August 13, 2012

Pros: "Great all around, fun to drive, 40+MPG"

Cons: "quirky power delivery at times with 1.4turbo 6spd"

"Sonic LT 1.4L turbo, 6spd, with connectivity cruise package, plus some other options. MSRP: $18,155 Paid: $17,995 I wanted a small hatchback that wasnt too ugly. I dislike the stylings of many of the new cars that try to "stand out" with funky shapes and designs. I'm 6'1" and I have plenty of head and legroom in both front and back seats. I decided on the LT trim line because I'm not a fan of leather seats, but i wanted all the bells and whistles. I'm 27 and this is my first brand new car. The Sonic makes a statement with little things like the headlights and rear door handles. Girls think it looks "cute" and guys say it looks "mean" Living in Duluth, MN I was hesitant about buying another manual, but the hill start assist is a life saver. In my old car i was constantly squeling the tires to not drift backwards into the car behind me. No worries anymore, I confidently drive downtown everyday and take my time when accelerating from hill stops."