2014 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $14,178 - $14,491.

10/7.7

Based on 109 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Previous | 1 ... 3 4 5 | Next

Does it get better?

By on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage"

Cons: "front seats have to sudden high lift on sides."

"Now, I have reveiwed this car before in the first couple thousand miles but got better news with some updates! First I changed the first oil change using valvoline dura blend (half synthetic) and on the hwy at 60mph I got an increase of 4-5 mpg bringing it to 51-52mpg. Now this is in the best conditions with no a/c on. It seems to cost 7-10 mpg loss with a/c running on hwy. Then I thought, why not go with full synthetic. Well, I am happy to report that in the same conditions that I am now getting 55-56mpg @ 60 mph on hwy. I have no idea the horsepower increase but I feal the difference on take off and 2+3 gears. Note: I have a 1.4 turbo with six speed manual trans. Looking forwared to the winter testing!"

Love the hill start assist!

By on Monday, August 13, 2012

Pros: "Great all around, fun to drive, 40+MPG"

Cons: "quirky power delivery at times with 1.4turbo 6spd"

"Sonic LT 1.4L turbo, 6spd, with connectivity cruise package, plus some other options. MSRP: $18,155 Paid: $17,995 I wanted a small hatchback that wasnt too ugly. I dislike the stylings of many of the new cars that try to "stand out" with funky shapes and designs. I'm 6'1" and I have plenty of head and legroom in both front and back seats. I decided on the LT trim line because I'm not a fan of leather seats, but i wanted all the bells and whistles. I'm 27 and this is my first brand new car. The Sonic makes a statement with little things like the headlights and rear door handles. Girls think it looks "cute" and guys say it looks "mean" Living in Duluth, MN I was hesitant about buying another manual, but the hill start assist is a life saver. In my old car i was constantly squeling the tires to not drift backwards into the car behind me. No worries anymore, I confidently drive downtown everyday and take my time when accelerating from hill stops."

cute

By on Sunday, August 12, 2012

Pros: "fub to drive"

Cons: "needs to have cruise,i pod adapter in all models"

cute and sassy

"this car is adorable she gets looks all the time she is 5 spped and is good on gas and easy to drive"

cute and sassy

Best car for young people!

By on Thursday, August 09, 2012

"I got this car back in March of this year and I've loved it ever since! I have it in the Silver Ice Metallic with the hatchback version trimmed with the 2LS (auto trans. with manual mirrors and windows). The way it drives is quite decent for what you pay and the quality of how it's built is very well for having a low price which could be attributed to a weaker metal for the frame than a decade ago (I learned this from crashing into a steel fence and got it repaired and the frame had to be straightened back out). Otherwise, it's a great vehicle and in the hatchback version with seats down, I'm able to fit my bike (which is larger than most due to my height). I put a 9/10 for design as the inside could use some more standard conveniences such as Bluetooth, standard USB, etc. but it is my understanding that the 2013 model year will have the option of the Chevrolet MyLink radio which includes Bluetooth and smartphone-based navigation. Overall though, I would not buy anything else for this price point. Great car on Chvey's part!"

Very happy with my Sonic LTZ

By on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Pros: "Height-adjustable drivers seat with armrest."

Cons: "No armrest for passenger."

"My primary criteria for a new car were that it be small and four-wheel-down towable behind my motor home. I narrowed my choice to the Honda Fit and Chevrolet Sonic. It looked at and drove both cars in the top trim levels. I purchased the Sonic because I got much more car for less money. I couldn’t be happier with my decision. The Sonic is fun to drive, has plenty of power and has all the bells and whistles including Bluetooth for the phone, automatic headlights, cruise control, etc. There is no wind noise on the freeway and the ride is extremely smooth. I don’t realize I’m doing 75 until I look at the digital speedometer. After several weeks with most new cars, I usually have a list of fixit items for the dealer. There is no list for the Sonic. I paid 18,372 for the car."

Love my Sonic

By on Friday, August 03, 2012

Pros: "Mpg, price, looks"

Cons: "Not roomy in the back"

"I bought this car in May after I totaled my last car. I wanted to purchase a brand new car, and the Sonic was the best in my price range. It has all the upgrades I wanted in a car. It's great on gas, I average about 30mpg in the city. The only downsides to this car is I wish it had another armrest on the passenger side and wish there was more room in the back."

pleasanty supprized

By on Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Pros: "everything i needed and more"

"I traded in my 2007 Impala for the Sonic LT in December, 2011. I needed a smaller car to tow with a tow dolly behind my motor home because I sold my 2002 Saturn and didn't need two cars anymore. The Sonic road as well as the Impala, had more than adequate trunk space, road on the tow dolly behind the motor home as if it wasn't even there, and was cavernous compared to the Saturn. The 1.8 engine with the 6 speed automatic transmission runs flawless with more than adequate power. For what I wanted, it is much more than adequate."

Best Bang for the Buck in this Segment

By on Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pros: "unique look, price, mpg, blue tooth"

Cons: "Gearing on manual"

"Have been driving a Turbo 6 speed 5 dr for about a month. First off I was looking for a daily driver that I could live with for a couple years. This is it. Can't beat the looks, utility, warranty, comfort and price. I don't feel like I driving a budget car it dare I say feels a little cool. My only gripe is the gear is super tall. Been driving manuals for a long time and I've stalled this more times than I care to admit because of the tall gearing. Forget about 2nd gear starts. Overall great car."

Bot a great car, but I like it

By on Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Pros: "Mpg, Looks pretty nice"

Cons: "no options, Rough idle when cold."

"I purchase a 2012 Sonic 2LS BASE model in April of 2012. The car ran great. It had 1700 on it when I bought it, but now has 8500 on it due to a mandatory trip to Vegas. The car Drove beautifully! The car does run rough when cold. I had the car checked twice but the service dept says there's nothing wrong. I guess that's how this model is. My car has no options at all. No cruise control, No CD player, No power windows, nothing! The car in my opinion is just ok, nothing special. To be honest, if I had to do it again, I'd walk away."

A Really Really Nice Car

By on Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pros: "Style, acceleration, handling, mileage"

Cons: "None so far"

"I thought I needed a car in the next size category, but I could not find a reason to pass on the Chevrolet Sonic LTZ hatchback. I added the turbo engine, auto trans and sun roof, and have been extremely pleased. I am getting 32mpg city, and continuous compliments from people who talk with me about how great the car looks. I have let those who ask take it for a drive. Every one who has gets a smile on their face, admits how surprised they are by how well it handles, how secure it feels, how quiet it is, and how much fun it is to drive."

my first new car

By on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Pros: "best car gm made ever"

Cons: "not a thing"

"retired a 2000 grand am for my sonic would not give up my sonic for anything best car ever. it's a blue lt turbo seadan"

6"4" Tall big man fits nicely!!

By on Friday, June 22, 2012

Pros: "fuel economy, fun factor, performance"

Cons: "needs center armrest"

"I was sceptical about test driving this small car, I'm used to driving a Jeep cherokee, But the Gas $$ were killing me! What a suprise to find that I fit into this car perfectly! very easy to get in"

Great car for fair price

By on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pros: "safety, fun to drive"

Cons: "nothing, great for its class"

My orange Sonic 2LT sedan with automatic transmission and 1.8 engine at Julia Pfeiffer State Park in California

"I own an orange Sonic 2LT Sedan with automatic transmission and the 1.8 engine. I've driven it through the windy, mountainous roads of Highway 1 in California, been stuck in traffic in San Francisco, gone through country roads near San Jose, and been on a 150 mile straight trip with my Sonic. On the numerous hairpin turns of Highway 1, my Sonic stuck to the road like glue, even at 55mph. It delivered more-than-suitable amounts of power to charge uphill, and the brakes work wonders on the light vehicle going downhill, all while maintaining 33mpg on rugged terrain like that. Stuck in traffic, its engine is extremely quiet and there is absolutely no vibration. The seats are comfortable enough to sit in for copious amounts of time while waiting for red lights to finally change, once again, all while maintaining a cool 27mpg in traffic jams. On long trips, it really struts its stuff in comparison to other cars in its class. Its comfortable and reasonably spacious. I'm 6 feet tall, 170lbs and I don't even have the seat all the way back while i'm driving. I managed to fit 4 people, and their luggage for a plane trip, in this car with suitable leg room and comfort, 5 people might be stretching it though. I registered 39mpg on the highway. Now, the looks. As aforementioned, my Sonic is an orange sedan, so I'm going purely based off of its specific style and my personal opinion. I think the orange paint job really stands out on my Sonic. I also think the sedan looks better than other sedans in its category. Its a small car, but its headlights and front grill give it a mean, sporty look. Also, the all of the exterior lights on it are extremely bright. The interior is hard plastic, but it doesn't look or feel particularly bad. or cheap. The dash lights glow blue, and the gauges are all tubular and motorcycle-like. Overall, the front dash looks somewhat blank, and futuristic. The interior of my Sonic is cloth, and the black clashes well with the orange outside. The safety features on this car are quite vast. It has almost no blind spots, and it comes with 10 standard airbags. Fortunately, I've not experienced those airbags yet. Overall, it drives nicely, and has a lot of features for the price. It doesn't look half bad in the orange sedan option either. The controls are also very easy to become accustomed to. It also has a great price and fuel economy."

Love this car

By on Friday, June 01, 2012

Pros: "value, sassiness, spacious for a subcompact"

"My last couple of cars have been hatchbacks, I wanted another. Really love how quiet this car is, it's peppiness, and spacious back seat. Just had family in for the long weekend and had no complaints hauling their over 6 foot frames around town. Milage isn't quite what I was hoping (averaging 22 in city so far) and the stereo broke the first week I had it. (though was quickly replaced). Glad I got the LTZ model ... love the bells and whistles."

Love the chevy sonic

By on Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Pros: "great price and mpg"

Cons: "nothing :)"

"I have owned my sonic for about 3 months. I had test drove the subaru wrx and the chevy sonic and use to drive a jeep, so i knew a car was going to be a huge change for me. I love the sonic as soon as i drove it. I couldn't believe that there was so much room in the backseat and still have enough room to put everything in the trunk. I was impressed that chevy had put everything i wanted into the car. My sister works at the dealership i bought it from and she was pushing me for the subaru but it wasn't roomy on the inside. I ended up getting the white sean 2lt and wouldn't want to trade it for anything now. The white is so sharp and it has everything i want in it. The only difference was i added the fog lights after i bought it but i upgraded everything else and it was a lot cheaper doing it that way. I would recomend this car to anyone, and i already got one of my friends to buy a hatchback for delivery jobs. A to chevy for the perfect ride...."

Wise buy all around.

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Cons: "seats are average or basic."

"I am putting an average mileage per week of 2,000. I have the 6 speed manual and If I just set the cruise at 55mph on the hwy, I get 55 max mpg average over 80 miles on light foot hill terrian. Now on a 75 mph hwy doing 55 you think you would get run over but if you get in such a habit to relax you will find that 60mph will still bring a max of 52mpg. 47mpg at 70-75mph. But I must also say that this may have to do greatly because I got the smallest rims available 15" not the 16 or 17."

Wise buy all around.

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Cons: "seats are average or basic."

GOOD but quesionable

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "cheap, head turning, good mpg,quick."

Cons: "lack of comfort,"

"I just bought this car and only have 3k on it and motor already sounds like it is knocking. it is the 1.4 turbo but still dont think it should be this loud. very quick for being such a small motor. i average 34.5mpg in town. and between 45 or 50 highway. for those who are like no way. its a 6 speedMANUAL and my car very rarely see over 2k rpm before i shift. and i cruise at 70 (also 2000rpm) on the highway, not place nascr and see how many people i can pass or keep up with. i did race it once. beat a v6 mustang. =)"

I feel like this car was made exactly for me!

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"I went into test driving a Chevy with some reservations. Especially a compact where the market is dominated by foreign cars like KIA, Hyundai, Toyota, and Honda. Boy was I wrong. Lets start from the beginning. I had been driving a KIA that was approaching 100k miles and was in need of a new car that had the best fuel economy available and also a warranty. So I figured I would go back to KIA. I test drove the Rio and was unimpressed. It just didn't do anything for me. Not only the car itself but also the pricing on upgrading a base model to an automatic transmission and power package. After tallying up all of that, I was out of my price range. Since that didnt work out, I figured I would ride it out with what I had and not get a new car. Then I came across the Sonic on the dealerships website. I was first drawn to the look of the front of the exterior. Very sporty looking. Chevy has separated themselves from the pack by dramatically changing the way the front end looks compared with most compacts out on the road. Afterall, this is what you would see coming down the road. Might as well make it look good. So I did alot of research on the Sonic. The only thing that was holding me back was the mileage ratings on the sticker. My KIA was still pumping out 33mpg on average, and the Sonic seemed to be slightly better from what I was reading. I figured I would request a test drive of the Sonic anyways just to stoke my curiosity. From the moment I put it into 1st gear at the dealership and hit the road I was hooked. The car feels solid for being so small. It rides nice and has good insulating qualities for keeping out road and wind noise. I test drove (and purchased)the base model Sonic which is the 5 speed manual, 1.8L engine. It has crank handle windows, but comes standard equipped with keyless entry, power doors and locks, am/fm radio with auxillary input (no cd - no big deal to me). One thing I thought was great with the radio in this car that I had not had before is the ability to store both AM and FM stations on the same favorites list. So. The gas mileage seems to be quite the topic of contention concerning this car and the 1.8L engine in it. To be honest I was a little concerned when I first started driving the Sonic because I was only getting about 34mpg (highway) for the first few hundred miles. However, after hitting the 500 mile mark on the odometer, this car is showing me how economical it can be. This morning, I averaged 42.8 mpg. Unbelievable but true. Granted 37 of the 40 miles I drive to work are freeway miles at speeds 55 to 70 mph. Driving around town does drop the averages down quite a bit to the high 20's / low 30's but still well within reason. My only gripes are minor. When starting the car first thing in the morning it sounds louder than I am used to. Not excessively loud but just enough to make you notice. The radio speaker system they put in the base model barely is adequate and the radio menus are somewhat clunky to navigate. The cup holders are positioned farther back than I would like them to be in the center. The dashboard console is lacking certain features like an always present "engine temperature" that is on most cars. And lastly...I am not particularly fond of pressing "menu" every time I want to switch the console reading from odometer/trip over to avg. mileage/till empty readouts. Independent buttons would have worked just as well. The cons are typically items that are associated with the "bells and whistles" of the car not the mechanical operation. The car as a whole itself is fantastic and I am loving it. This is a solid little car that is fun to drive and should save you some money in the long run. I now look forward to driving again because of my Sonic."

Disappointment in owning my first car

By on Monday, March 12, 2012

Pros: "remote start"

Cons: "no passenger arm rest"

"I have had this car since September. Everything was going good until I needed my first oil change in December. My transmition fluid was leaking on my right axel. Now I can see it happening once since its a new car. However, this is my third time fixing the same problem and now they are replacing my axel shaft. My car has been in the shop in and out, its either two rental cars, or my sister would be out of a car. I work in the next town 50miles away. I depend on my car to get ther. I even had my milage checked because I wasn't getting the "quoted milage" and that took a fews days before I could get my car back.I can't afford to have it keeping taking it to the shop after my warrenty runs out. I now am close to the lemon laws and am trading in my disappointment for new hope and reliability."

Great MPG

By on Thursday, February 02, 2012

Pros: "MPG, Saftey, fun to drive"

Cons: "not a "luxury" feel"

"I bought my first Chevy (the Sonic LT automatic) in October 2011 and have to say that I am very pleased. To keep it short and sweet i'll list the pros and cons for you: Pros: 1. Awesome MPG! I have the standard 1.8L and although they say it's MPG is only supposed to be 25/35 i average 29-30mpg city and for the little times i do drive on the highway i average 33/35 combined. 2. Very fun to drive; has a lot of zip to it and handles corners very well. The handling is one of its best features. 3. Saftey: this car has 10 airbags which is very important to me. Some other competitors, such as the elantra have 6. I don't have kids but if i did i would like to think that they would be protected just as much as the driver. Cons: 1.Interior a bit cheap looking: all of the interior is great EXCEPT for the side paneling. It just looks a bit cheap. I felt like they cut some corners to the design of the inside door. Then again, it does look durable. It's just a personal preference. I have to admit that i love the elantra interior but that would probably be the only thing it has on the Sonic, but you have to pay about $2,000 more. 2. Exterior is more of a sporty/aggressive look. I don't mind it, but its just personal taste. With so many other competitors coming out with sub compacts with a more "luxury" feel i wish they would've done the same. Like i said it's just a personal preference but it does give the sonic some edge. All in all, as far as preformance goes I can't complain. I get amazing mpg, its fun to drive, and one of the safest vehicles i've ever driven. When it comes to the most important factors in buying a car, sonic fits the bill. As far as looks go, they could've taken a few tips from the elantra, but the sonic still has some edge. I personally rather take mpg and safety over "luxury" feel."

nice car really surprised

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "fair pricing ,fun2 drive ,excellent interior"

Cons: "cup holders,mpg ,"

"after owning a toyota yaris sedan that never got less than 34 mpg that got totaled in an accident i was on the hunt again for an economy car . toyota quit making the sedans and the hatchbacks just arent inviting to me i decided to test the chevy sonic cause i am a chevy fan except for one thing .thier fuel mpg testing must be on pikes peak going downhill or in a vacuum chamber somewhere cause they never get what they say they will. i havnt had the car long and driving it gently hwy mileage has been about 27 to 29 at best which its not broke in yet so im hoping it gets better. besides that i love it .it looks great it does have some pep if needed. i have the 1.8 with auto trans i got the LT for cruise and upgraded sound and got the foglights and 16 "wheels. cup holders in center console are to far back but overall i am pleased if the mpg gets up a little more after break in ill call it a homerun for chevy. right now ill just call it a triple"

I hated cars but i sure do Love this one

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

"I use to own a 2001 Chevy Tracker hardtop with 4 wheel drive and all. I end up totaled my car just 3 weeks ago. I wanted another SUV because i loved it so much and also loved my 4 wheel drive. I went shopping a week ago to see what i could get i need to get something and always wanted a new car but just couldn't swing it. They mention the car to me and i was like i really dont want a car i will try I told them i hate long front ends and hated cars all the way around. Once i drove this i was sold I did also drive a Suski sx4 and i was not happy with that one at all. Since my accident i had a rental and it was a Kia and i new that would never be a car for me. I have also drove many of the higher end cars from Chevy and all felt they where to big or not right. Once i drove it i feel in love I did go with the 2lT to have the extra stuff which i will say using the onstar app on my phone to start your car anywhere rocks Because of that i may just buy onstar. I dont park close at work to be able to start it so that was a big plus. This car looks tiny on the outside but is huge on the inside. I will be looking forward to having this as my First brand new car and will have it for a very long Time just wish i they would have had the turbo out already and have the sun roof but i will live it has more thing in it then most cars do. I will be showing this car off to my friends for months to come......"

My First Car

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "Great price! PERFECT size, OnStar, good gas, comfy"

Cons: "No power windows, cruise or CD player in LS"

I added the pink pin stripe :)

"This car is perfect for me. Single military member and this is my first car. It's super safe with the 10 air bags. AIRBAGS FOR YOUR KNEES! REALLY! On Star is a huge plus! I can plug my iPhone up and save up to 36 radio stations. It gets great gas and the trunk is HUGE! I LOVE THIS CAR!!"

I added the pink pin stripe :)

Solid, comfortable, AMERICAN BUILT orange car!

By on Friday, December 30, 2011

Pros: "Mileage,space,comfort,solid ride,speed/tac display"

Cons: "Back end is always filthy in winter/wet driving"

"I purchased when new the base hatchback 5 speed manual model with the only upgrade being the Inferno Orange color. Some like the design and some do not. It has grown on me greatly though. Bought the car for the gas milage and a price that was just under 12k!! Simply a quiet, comfortable ride with power when I need (or more like want) it. For a little 4 banger it is the perfect commuter car for my 40 mile jont to work. Packing up my 4 daughters we can still go grocery shopping with plenty of room. My 6 foot 230lb frame has plenty of space as well. Don't hesitate to buy this Made In America car!"

Previous | 1 ... 3 4 5 | Next