2014 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $14,345 - $14,740.

10/7.7

Based on 140 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

nice car really surprised

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "fair pricing ,fun2 drive ,excellent interior"

Cons: "cup holders,mpg ,"

"after owning a toyota yaris sedan that never got less than 34 mpg that got totaled in an accident i was on the hunt again for an economy car . toyota quit making the sedans and the hatchbacks just arent inviting to me i decided to test the chevy sonic cause i am a chevy fan except for one thing .thier fuel mpg testing must be on pikes peak going downhill or in a vacuum chamber somewhere cause they never get what they say they will. i havnt had the car long and driving it gently hwy mileage has been about 27 to 29 at best which its not broke in yet so im hoping it gets better. besides that i love it .it looks great it does have some pep if needed. i have the 1.8 with auto trans i got the LT for cruise and upgraded sound and got the foglights and 16 "wheels. cup holders in center console are to far back but overall i am pleased if the mpg gets up a little more after break in ill call it a homerun for chevy. right now ill just call it a triple"

My First Car

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "Great price! PERFECT size, OnStar, good gas, comfy"

Cons: "No power windows, cruise or CD player in LS"

I added the pink pin stripe :)

"This car is perfect for me. Single military member and this is my first car. It's super safe with the 10 air bags. AIRBAGS FOR YOUR KNEES! REALLY! On Star is a huge plus! I can plug my iPhone up and save up to 36 radio stations. It gets great gas and the trunk is HUGE! I LOVE THIS CAR!!"

I added the pink pin stripe :)

A Really Really Nice Car

By on Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pros: "Style, acceleration, handling, mileage"

Cons: "None so far"

"I thought I needed a car in the next size category, but I could not find a reason to pass on the Chevrolet Sonic LTZ hatchback. I added the turbo engine, auto trans and sun roof, and have been extremely pleased. I am getting 32mpg city, and continuous compliments from people who talk with me about how great the car looks. I have let those who ask take it for a drive. Every one who has gets a smile on their face, admits how surprised they are by how well it handles, how secure it feels, how quiet it is, and how much fun it is to drive."

Wow.. Love it!

By on Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pros: "Perfect... All around for the price"

Cons: "Sits a little low. Front end bottomed a few times"

"Just over a year old now and our family LOVES the Sonic!... Style, Comfort, space efficient, and spunk!... the gas mileage is great (Avg. 33 daily - 42 Hwy)"

Great car if you are looking for something small

By on Friday, October 11, 2013

Pros: "Drive, great on gas, stylish, fun to drive"

Cons: "Blind spots, not too comfy on long trips"

"This car drives nice. The interior is nice, but I think the cup holders aren't in the most convenient spots. I love that my car came is remote start. The front seats are kinda roomy, but its not great in the back. The blind spots are terrible. If I would have realized the blind spot issue before I bought the car, I would have chosen something else. But its a great car for the price."

Just purchased 2013 Sonic RS

By on Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pros: "See main review"

Cons: "See main review"

"I just purchased a 2013 Chevrolet Sonic RS. I am very impressed with the fit and finish. It is almost flawless which is great as It is MADE IN AMERICA. The black metallic paint is flawless. The RS 17 " wheels match the black very well. The RS seating is very well appointed and comfortable, as Is the interior in general. I like the dash layout very much. The car drives very well and is very quiet with a solid feel. I still have very low mileage but during this short time I am averaging between 25 and 32 mpg during big city suburban stop and go driving. I was hoping to get a little better mileage but this will work. The bottom line is I was waiting for the RS to come out based on reviews and purchased one as soon as I found one in my area. I am very satisfied with it in all aspects. I do have a couple items that in my opinion should be corrected. 1) The drivers position arm rest is not in the correct location for any comfortable use. 2) In speaking with a GM rep I could not get a satisfactory answer as to if and when the nav app will be released. 3) For some reason Onstar does not provide in car direct automated directions as you must speak to a rep for directions. 4) Bluetooth music from an IPhone to the mylink radio will not work. It must be connected to the USB port. With the popularity of the IPhone this makes no sense considering that this technology is readily available with other vehicle manufacturers. With all this being said I am very happy with this purchase. It is a very comfortable and fun car to drive."

Love my Chevy Sonic!

By on Sunday, January 06, 2013

Pros: "Great car to drive."

"After road testing the Honda Fit, I tried the Chevy Sonic. The Sonic accelerated faster and the ride was quieter than the Fit. I now own the Sonic 1LT/Turbo sedan with the 6 speed manual transmission. I am averaging 36 MPG with highway and city driving combined. The 2013 Chevrolet Sonic offers a lot of safety, refinement, and comfort--in a sporty-looking, sporty-driving package. The Chevy Sonic is equipped to take on the Nissan Versa, Honda Fit, Hyundai Accent, Ford Fiesta, and Toyota Yaris. Love it!"

Best sub-compact!

By on Sunday, January 06, 2013

Pros: "Solid & fun to drive"

"Chevy went from last, to first in the sub-compact market. 2012 was the first year for the Sonic - it was the highest selling sub-compact in the US (81,000)and the only one built in America. The Chevrolet Sonic gets good gas mileage and is very solid built automobile. I like the way my 1LT with turbo handles highway or country roads - it makes driving a pleasure. I would not trade it in on any other sub-compact."

6"4" Tall big man fits nicely!!

By on Friday, June 22, 2012

Pros: "fuel economy, fun factor, performance"

Cons: "needs center armrest"

"I was sceptical about test driving this small car, I'm used to driving a Jeep cherokee, But the Gas $$ were killing me! What a suprise to find that I fit into this car perfectly! very easy to get in"

Love this car

By on Friday, June 01, 2012

Pros: "value, sassiness, spacious for a subcompact"

"My last couple of cars have been hatchbacks, I wanted another. Really love how quiet this car is, it's peppiness, and spacious back seat. Just had family in for the long weekend and had no complaints hauling their over 6 foot frames around town. Milage isn't quite what I was hoping (averaging 22 in city so far) and the stereo broke the first week I had it. (though was quickly replaced). Glad I got the LTZ model ... love the bells and whistles."

Cute and fun to drive!

By on Friday, December 09, 2011

Pros: "good price, comfortable, fun to drive"

Cons: "no power mirrors, power windows in the base model"

"I was actually looking to purchase something a little bigger when I saw some consumer reviews for the Sonic and decided to take it for a spin. I LOVE THIS CAR! The interior is a lot roomier than it appears from the outside, my husband is 6'4" and even he is comfortable in my car. The car is a really smooth ride, it handles really well, considering it's not very powerful. The trunk size is great, we went grocery shopping a few days ago, and spent over $400 on food and got all of it the trunk! I like the exterior styling, it's like a cute little prowler! I purchased the base model, but I'm thinking about upgrading to the LTZ when the automatic becomes available with a turbo engine. Overall, a great "starer car", and a great car for the money."

Love this vehicle!

By on Thursday, March 26, 2015

Pros: "Gas mileage and comfortable seats."

Cons: "Don't really have any at this point."

"I absolutely love my Chevy Sonic. The gas mileage is awesome. I'm averaging about 40 mpg on the hwy. It's actually roomy inside and the seats are incredibly comfortable. I am constantly getting compliments on how pretty the car is. For it to be a small vehicle, it has a real sporty look. Good value for the money!"

Great vehicle for the price!

By on Friday, August 17, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "No cruise control, cup holder placement"

"Bought the LS Base Model Sonic for my daughter back in May. Immediately took it on vacation, putting 1,900 miles on it. Was pleasently surprised on it's comfort and handling. I have a bad back and have difficulty with long drives and the seats in the Sonic gave me no problem. Back seat comfort was adequate as well as the leg room. Gas mileage on the highway is fantastic. Only wish it had a bigger gas tank and cruise control. Only issue I have is with a defect in the paint on the hood; looks like a chemical stain underneath the clearcoat. Pointed out to the dealership two months ago and still waiting for a response."

Best car for young people!

By on Thursday, August 09, 2012

"I got this car back in March of this year and I've loved it ever since! I have it in the Silver Ice Metallic with the hatchback version trimmed with the 2LS (auto trans. with manual mirrors and windows). The way it drives is quite decent for what you pay and the quality of how it's built is very well for having a low price which could be attributed to a weaker metal for the frame than a decade ago (I learned this from crashing into a steel fence and got it repaired and the frame had to be straightened back out). Otherwise, it's a great vehicle and in the hatchback version with seats down, I'm able to fit my bike (which is larger than most due to my height). I put a 9/10 for design as the inside could use some more standard conveniences such as Bluetooth, standard USB, etc. but it is my understanding that the 2013 model year will have the option of the Chevrolet MyLink radio which includes Bluetooth and smartphone-based navigation. Overall though, I would not buy anything else for this price point. Great car on Chvey's part!"

Solid, comfortable, AMERICAN BUILT orange car!

By on Friday, December 30, 2011

Pros: "Mileage,space,comfort,solid ride,speed/tac display"

Cons: "Back end is always filthy in winter/wet driving"

"I purchased when new the base hatchback 5 speed manual model with the only upgrade being the Inferno Orange color. Some like the design and some do not. It has grown on me greatly though. Bought the car for the gas milage and a price that was just under 12k!! Simply a quiet, comfortable ride with power when I need (or more like want) it. For a little 4 banger it is the perfect commuter car for my 40 mile jont to work. Packing up my 4 daughters we can still go grocery shopping with plenty of room. My 6 foot 230lb frame has plenty of space as well. Don't hesitate to buy this Made In America car!"

Terrific Car

By on Monday, December 29, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, economical"

Cons: "only what you can see by looking -- e.g. small"

"Fun to drive & I've never had to do ANY repairs, not even warranty. 38 mpg combined highway & local."

A Nice Little Car for the Price

By on Friday, September 05, 2014

"I bought this car because it is assembled in USA. My car is 2013 LTZ with 5 speed manual transmission, gas mileage is excellent, combine highway and city, 33.9 miles. I drove the car cross the country, it's given me a lot fun! The only thing is the clock synchronization is not working and the leather seats look like fake. Otherwise, it is a perfect car! Thanks GM!"

The best car I have ever owned!

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

Pros: "Lots of power packed into a comfy size."

Cons: "I wish the warranty was for 200,000 miles!"

"I would buy this Sonic 2012 LT Hatchback over and over and over again........ it is just that good!"

SO MUCH FUN TO DRIVE!

By on Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great mpg, interior features"

Cons: "wheel well gap,"

"I bought this car purely on a test drive, with no intentions to buy a new car. I absolutely fell in love! The 1.4l turbo is the way to go however, and Im glad I got it. The power isn't massive, but its very peppy, handles incredibly well and the understeer doesn't control you in the tight turns. Would be an awesome track car as well. Great on gas too! I run premium always, and have seen 45mpg highway, and usually am around 33 to 36 around town when driving like a law abiding citizen. Great car, a blast to drive."

Stylish, fun to drive, good gas mileage!

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

Pros: "Stylish, good gas mileage, easy to load"

Cons: "No armrest for passenger"

"I've owned my Sonic since it was brand new. It now has over 32,000 miles on it. I love it just as much now as when I first bought it. Its a small car, and I don't expect more out of it than would be appropriate for this class of car. The car gets the best gas mileage at 55 mph; I can get 41-43 mph driving 55. Driving 70-77, I drop down into the mid 30s. I don't drive enough just in town to tell you what it gets in town alone. Its peppy. The transmission does take some getting used to. It is a little hard shifting. Compared to some small cars I've had before, where you had to get out and push them up hills, this car is in a class by itself. A trip through some good hills up and down last weekend, and had no problems keeping up and passing other cars. Love my car. Will buy another one."

Fun. Cheap.

By on Sunday, December 23, 2012

Pros: "Price. Turbo. Good gas mileage."

At the lot!

"Get the turbo. Fun to drive. Good for price. Good gas mileage. Buy American."

At the lot!

Quick acceleration, and solid grip but lousy MPG!

By on Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Pros: "Acceleration"

Cons: "MPG, Resale Value"

2013 Chevrolet Sonic- Silver LS Automatic

"I purchased this unit during March of 2014 as a certified pre-owned vehicle with 10,700 miles on from the get-go. I found the ride to be rather pleasant but also somewhat sporty! The noisy engine I found to be rather thrilling for my taste, as it somewhat resembles my 2011 v6 Camaro. This vehicle however, is much lighter and better balanced! My trim is the base LS automatic engine that comes with just the very basics and no outgoing bells & whistles. I didn't do much haggling with the price as they were at way under my price range for that year and model. Even though I’m not so happy with the Sonic’s MPG, as well as its resale value, I have to admit it was a great decision by far. I’m rather content overall with the purchase, and if given the chance again, I would certainly buy the Chevrolet Sonic a second or third time!"

2013 Chevrolet Sonic- Silver LS Automatic

pleasanty supprized

By on Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Pros: "everything i needed and more"

"I traded in my 2007 Impala for the Sonic LT in December, 2011. I needed a smaller car to tow with a tow dolly behind my motor home because I sold my 2002 Saturn and didn't need two cars anymore. The Sonic road as well as the Impala, had more than adequate trunk space, road on the tow dolly behind the motor home as if it wasn't even there, and was cavernous compared to the Saturn. The 1.8 engine with the 6 speed automatic transmission runs flawless with more than adequate power. For what I wanted, it is much more than adequate."

Chevy has their foot in the subcompact segment!

By on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pros: "Price of base, Not common, Fun, 32 combined mpg"

Cons: "Unknown reliablitilty, low front clearance,"

"I owned the Chevy Sonic 1.8l auto for a year and 9months with 81k miles to my name. The Car is functional and practical for everyday use. The car I owned did come with some problems in the trans and was quote fixed. If you are interested in the car go for the 1.4l it is say a bit more enjoyable to drive. The mpg is up there for not being a hybrid. nonetheless it is a fun little car. The Rating is based on the value for price."

fun to drive, solid daily commuter!

By on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Pros: "mpg, room, engine, suspension"

Cons: "interior materials, American car dealers"

"I purchased a Sonic after test driving a Hyundai Accent and Ford Fiesta. I liked the Accent just as much, but the price is what got me into the Sonic. Since it was a '13 model I got it for pretty cheap. A similar Accent would have been a few grand more. I drive over 100 miles a day for work so I wanted something good on gas and reliable. So far this little Chevy fits the bill, and more. LIKES: Engine/6 speed manual. For being a little 1.4, I have no problems merging onto the highway which I was scared of going into the subcompact class. Suspension. Feels great on the road for only weighing around 2700 lbs. In the Fiesta I was a little nervous test driving it on the highway, but the Sonic felt great even at 80mph. Interior is very roomy. I can fit two car seats (with kids in them) and myself/pass in the front seats with no problems. The Accent didn't seem big enough to pull this off. I was surprised I could pull this off without making major adjustments to my seating position. Bluetooth easy to set up, easy to use. Great gas mileage!! With the 1.4/6 speed manual I get around 41 mpg highway, 34 in mixed driving. DISLIKES: American car dealerships are the worst (not the cars fault but was almost a deal breaker for me). Arm rest fabric is so rough it gives me rug burn. Pretty much unusable. No spare tire. I don't want anything to do with some inflator kit. No streaming bluetooth audio (I heard the '14 has this). Only 1 key? come on Chevy.... CONCLUSION: I would recommend this car for sure. I personally liked it better than the Fiesta, and just as much as an Accent (actually a little better I suppose considering the interior room issue). I have been averaging around 41-42 mpg highway and was pretty surprised my family could fit in this thing comfortably. I love this car!!"