2014 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $14,470 - $14,843.

10/7.7

Based on 125 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Excellent mileage, dependable, cute, luv it

By on Monday, February 16, 2015

Pros: "Great value"

Cons: "Noted blind spot in rear corners when backing"

Red hot like the color "Inferno Orange"

"Have to get used to closeness on slots of gears with shifter as changing gears can be awkward making me think I am in one gear and learn I am in different gear. Seats are flexible and adjust easily. Excellent gas mileage gauge range from 37.5 to 40.5. Fun to drive, handles great, excellent temperature control for heat and cooling. Bluetooth could be better on confirming phone numbers to dial. Receive many compliments on 'cuteness'."

Red hot like the color "Inferno Orange"

still runs like new and great MPG

By on Saturday, February 14, 2015

Cons: "I wish On Star was not located on mirror"

"Rides great around town and highway. I love this little car."

Awesome car, great value, world class MPG!

By on Friday, February 13, 2015

Pros: "Great value, awesome MPG and quality"

Cons: "No complaits, maybe a bigger gas tank............"

"My wife and bought this car in April of 2011 to replace a thirsty Jeep Cherokee. Our goal was to get a reliable car under 20K that would be able to achieve great handling and 40 plus MPG on the highway. We looked at Ford and a few others, and then went to our local Chevy dealer who had a Sonic on the showroom floor. Once we drove the Sonic, the decision was easy-rode and handled excellent, and we loved the style and the under 17K sticker price for a LT 1.4 Turbo/manual 6 speed. Our first trip in the car was a 400 mile plus road trip to see our daughter in Montana. The car blew us away, before long we were averaging 46 MPG at 75 miles per hour in twisty mountain roads between Idaho and Montana. There is a lot of mountain climbing on this journey as well, and the little 1.4 Turbo pulled us up every slope with no issue. The car is quiet and smooth and handles so well.....hard to believe this is a subcompact Chevrolet built in Michigan USA. In the past 3 plus years we have had no issues at all and even in town we average about 38MPG and since we have owned it our total MPG average for all 15,000 miles is at 40.1. We have had a few road trips with both our daughters and a grand daughter onboard and the car still handled very well and still maintained world class MPG with 4 adults and a 3 year old onboard. If you are looking for a high quality, reliable high MPG vehicle with good acceleration and performance look at the Sonic. My hats off to Chevrolet for building a awesome subcompact right here in the US. This car continues to amaze and exceed all expectations we have had. Go see it, and drive it for yourself, everyone has different taste and expectations but this car will exceed even the pickiest consumer when you consider all the factors. From our perspective this is the best car we have owned, we have had many, from Toyota, Mazda, Ford, Jeep etc."

FUN Like driving go kart on highway!

By on Saturday, February 07, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "No cruise control"

"Great car, But, needs cruise control on all. NOT a option!"

Road Noise ruins driving enjoyment.

By on Sunday, January 25, 2015

Pros: "remote start"

Cons: "road noise, uncomfortable seats, cup holders"

"Traded 05 Aveo owned 6 years with no road noise complaint. I've replaced the tires with quiet rated tires, installed Dynamat sound deadening material throughout and the noise from the tires is still terrible. It even drowns out the radio. I've only driven it 2200 miles in 5 months because of the tire noise. They spend all the money on useless technology like touchscreen radios and trying to turn a car into a cell phone while ignoring the basic driving experience of a quiet ride."

Good Car for the money.

By on Friday, January 16, 2015

Pros: "great price, small, good first car"

Cons: "not very powerful,cheaply made"

"I bought this car new from a dealership and I enjoy driving it and I especially like how small it is and how it gets good gas mileage but my favorite feature is the digital speedometer, it looks so futuristic."

Best little hatchback ever

By on Sunday, January 04, 2015

Pros: "Great value, blast to drive"

Cons: "Center storage console"

"20 plus years driving SUVs test drove lots of small hatchbacks, fell in love with the RS Sonic. Bought new with 25 miles on it been cornering ever since."

Best car I have ever owned.

By on Monday, December 29, 2014

Pros: "Great to drive, no problems AT ALL"

"This is the best car I have ever owned."

Terrific Car

By on Monday, December 29, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, economical"

Cons: "only what you can see by looking -- e.g. small"

"Fun to drive & I've never had to do ANY repairs, not even warranty. 38 mpg combined highway & local."

Very practical with great mileage

By on Monday, December 15, 2014

Pros: "good looks and fun to drive"

Cons: "no cd avail with x/m radio"

"great car so far"

Great car, excellent gas mileage, no problems

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2014

"I bought this car for my husband. It is an amazing little car. There are times I push nearly 50 miles per gallon. It fits 4 comfortably...5 is a little squished. I have had absolutely no problems with it at all. It handles well in all driving conditions. It has a lot of get up and go if you want it to."

Great Small Car

By on Sunday, October 26, 2014

Pros: "Great Price, Good MPG, and nice pickup"

Cons: "One arm rest, Seats could be better."

"I drive at least an hr every day on my daily drive and love the pickup and fuel economy. Its fun and is a great little car."

Quick, fun little car

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Pros: "Sporty, economical, easy to park and drive."

Cons: "driver armrest is weird. shift to 3rd is strange."

"I picked the Hatchback and it has proven to be quite a fun little car to drive. I would suggest the 1.4 stickshift turbo, because I picked the automatic 1.8 and I think the car would be a lot more fun as a turbo stickshift. With that said, I have found the interior seating to be ok for the price. The comforts and media options for 2012 were better than any other car in its class, mainly because they come standard. The car handles pretty well and has an easy way about it when driving in any condition. The car drives comfortably in the rain, the snow and in LA/DC traffic. The trunk space could be increased because it's difficult to fit stuff with people in the back. If you are by yourself, the back with the seats down provides a ton of space. There is a slight blind spot to the right where the pillar is at, but check a couple of times and you're fine. The gas mileage is decent for the 1.8. I get an average of 35mpg if I can maintain freeway speed under 68 (max). Anything over that and the mpg drops. If you are driving through town, instead of the freeway, then expect to get closer to 30mpg. Other than that, the car is sporty, fun and economical."

Looked at many small cars, and this was best.

By on Monday, October 20, 2014

Pros: "Mileage, style, power, driveability"

Cons: "Tiny gauge cluster; lacks engine temperature."

"Have not owned a Chevy since a 1960 model. Sonic is our most trouble-free car ever. Oil life (according to its sensor) could go 10,000 miles, but must be changed at least annually, to keep warranty valid. I wanted Union Built USA vehicle; note: this has about 50% Korean-made Parts. Top Crash Safety rated; 10 airbags. Great Hatchback styling appears to be a 2-door wagon; 4 adults fit just fine. Has reasonable cargo space; privacy cover clips are flimsy (broke), but the cover works better if clips are actually removed! Amazing turbo power when needed, yet 1.4L engine gets over 50mpg highway. With 6 speed transmission, it occasionally hunts for a gear (when going from coast to accelerate). Gets best mileage over speed 42, as 6th gear is reached (overdrive?). Mileage falls with wind resistance, over speed 55mph. Takes corners like a race-car; is fine in 5- inch snow. LT model has virtually every accessory, including cruise, power windows, remote start, great speaker system. Thick pillars and the headrests obstruct most rearward vision, but dual-lens side-view mirrors help immensely. Just like our 2000 Ford Focus, a little warmed air comes through the heater/air conditioner system whenever the fan-only is turned on, and dial set to coolest."

Great little car

By on Saturday, October 11, 2014

Pros: "Peppy. Fun to drive. Best in class for the price."

Cons: "Air conditioning could be better."

"I am retired and drive mostly short trips. The turbo works great, I am one of the fastest car on the road. I had a BMW 325i before this and there is not that much difference. Of course it is small, but has plenty of room for two people and a lot of baggage. And gas consumption is great, I average about 28 MPG on an average speed of around 35 MPH. So pretty good. At 65 I get almost 40 MPG."

C+

By on Thursday, October 09, 2014

Pros: "Good power and handling, decent fuel economy."

Cons: "MyLink is useless, basic creature comforts lacking"

"I have a 2014 Sonic LT, 6A, MyLink. It's OK for what it is (a low-end disposable runabout), but it has some... issues. MyLink doesn't even come close to living up to the hype. Three audio streaming apps and one nav app that appears to be barely out of beta isn't what I call useful. The system doesn't even look at track number info in mp3 files and doesn't recognize m3u playlists that literally every other playback system has used for 10 years. You don't want your albums played in alphabetical order? You can either deal with it, or manually retag your files. You can't even delete the preset favorites in the bands that you don't use. Performance: surprisingly decent, considering. Off the line, it's faster than my '12 Cruze LS (same engine, 6M trans). Acceleration on the move is very good. Steering is solid when it should be and light when it needs to be. The brakes are numb for the first half inch of pedal, then grabby. Comfort and Quality: The ride is comfortably solid, with no rattles or squeaks. The incredibly obnoxious headrest angle can be mitigated somewhat by reclining the seatback and lifting the headrest to its maximum height. The seat pans are reasonably firm and supportive, but there's only one skinny armrest for the driver and front passenger to fight over and no center armrest at all in back. Since the only people likely to be back there will be in booster seats, I suppose this is a fair omission. The HVAC is very good, but the controls feel... weird. The temperature control detents are squishy and vague. I don't exactly regret having bought a Sonic, but I'll be bringing it back as soon as I can get the payoff below trade value."

Good mileage and decent power

By on Saturday, September 06, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive on back roads or interstate"

Cons: "one arm rest"

"I drive about an hour each day and the sonic is the perfect car for day to day driving. It has features from the more expensive models and was still in my price range."

A Nice Little Car for the Price

By on Friday, September 05, 2014

"I bought this car because it is assembled in USA. My car is 2013 LTZ with 5 speed manual transmission, gas mileage is excellent, combine highway and city, 33.9 miles. I drove the car cross the country, it's given me a lot fun! The only thing is the clock synchronization is not working and the leather seats look like fake. Otherwise, it is a perfect car! Thanks GM!"

Great car but honest review

By on Friday, August 22, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage using the turbo and 6spd,"

Cons: "one arm rest"

"I've purchased this car specifically because I commute 120 miles per day round trip. I opted for the LT-1 Turbo, so mid level with onstar and mylink radio. My car has cloth interior and both sets of mats, power locks and windows but manual seats. It has the 1.4L Turbo with the 6 spd manual. Engine performance: Now, I own a turbo diesel truck so I am up to speed on turbo lag. This car is no different in that department, except what I found is that if you blip the throttle then give it some gas turbo lag is non-existent. It is just something you get used to and remember when pulling across a side street. Transmission: The gearing between 1-2-3 is pretty tall and in some cases you will lug the engine if you are not paying attention. But where this car shines is the 5th and 6th gear. They are a great ratio and add to fuel economy. Shifting is smooth and precise. Sometimes though if you are not paying attention or being too easy on the gas you will miss 6th and drop it into 4th. Fuel economy. Because I commute such a distance and I have taken this vehicle on road a couple road trips, I can definitely talk to the fuel economy aspect of this car. The first week I had this car 52.6 mpg was the norm at 65mph. Now it has settle into 48.9 mpg average across my 60 mile commute over rolling terrain. I have two routes I can take. The 48mpg is a back country open highway, the second route is an urban freeway with lots of overpasses to climb. When taking this route the car will average 44.6mpg. note these trips are all with the A/C on, which actually doesn't ever seem to change the MPG at all. One major factor I have found is the type of fuel and from what gas station will cause the fuel economy to go up or down. I found that Conoco or Chevron both yield the worse mileage ratings over the coarse of two full tanks or for me two weeks worth of driving. I run premium which I have also found yields 3-4mpg better, which over my 22K miles per year is an extra $107, for the year. I found that Shell, safeway, Costco and Mavrick country stores yield the best MPG ratings. I am assuming it is because they do not place addatives into the fuel. Also, I know the Conoco has ethanol which drops the mpg ratings. Audio- This car is not Apple product friendly. The USB port is worthless for apple products and the blue tooth support is sporadic with apple as well. However using any android device including my Samsung tablet, the car has no issues. You can even plug in an external hard drive or USB stick. Show pictures on the screen or play movies and media files from the device. OnStar and Hands free. This car has some cool features in the Mylink system. On the steering wheel you can control your phone and make a phone call from your cell phone. Or on the rear view mirror you can use the vehicles built in cell service to make a phone call. Both calls go through the vehicles speaker system. The onstar function is actually pretty cool. I have used it a lot for directions. Call onstar, tell them where you want to go and they beam you the directions right to your stereo. It then gives you turn by turn directions to where you want to go. No actual navigation required. Driving impressions: You have to face reality, this is a sub-compact car. But there is still room for a small family on a short road trip. We have used it twice to take a 6 hour drive with two adults and two teenagers. So 4 people in the car. The kids never complained once and said they had enough room. But to be fair to them I did stop a few times. This car is zippy and nimble. I am always amazed that it can turn around on a one lane road and the uturn in a parking lot is just amazing. But then again, coming from an F350, a 777 on a runway can turn better. Overall this car is a great fun little car. The gas mileage with the Turbo 6spd is off the charts. The fit and finish is very good and the build quality is stellar. If I had one complaint it is the fact there is only one arm rest in the car. But it you had two, it would cover up the cup holders, so that makes sense. FYI, my car is the sedan and not the hatchback. Now for the other side of things. My wife took this car on a road trip from Utah to Idaho, to Nevada and back to Utah. She said that she really likes this car. That is saying a lot for a person that is used to driving a Honda Pilot with plenty of room. She raved about the radio and how easy the car was to drive, even though it is a manual transmission. When ever I am home she opts to take the Sonic to run errands or even pick the kids up from school. That just goes to show you how good of a package this little car is. I plan on giving it to my son in couple years when he starts driving."

Perfect!

By on Sunday, August 10, 2014

Pros: "Perfect!"

"I love my Sonic! It's comfy, peppy, easy on gas, parks easy, holds a lot of items under the hatchback and looks like a little SUV!"

SONIC RS Is Great!

By on Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pros: "Very fun to drive"

"I've had this car now for 1 1/2 years. It is exactly what I expected and wanted. I owned a Cobalt before and it was just not fun to drive. Nothing wrong with it, just BLAH! The Sonic is sporty and eye catching and has plenty of get up and go. The steering is a lot stiffer than most cars I driven which is great since I like to zip in and out of traffic just for fun! I don't get the gas mileage it states, but I do like to tromp on the gas pedal. I still get at least 27 mpg."

Satisfying small car.

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Interior comfort, quality feel"

Cons: "Armrest."

Fresh and clean.

"I bought my '14 Sonic LTZ Sedan in April and so far, I love it. I am shocked at how good the quality of this car is so far. I also have a Corolla and I find the materials in this car to be on par with Toyota, at least in initial quality, I have only had this car 3 months after all. The exterior looks great. I recommend paying the $325 for Crystal Red Tintcoat, as this color looks great on this car. I love having a spoiler and the exposed headlights are a really cool feature on these cars. So far, I have found Chevy's MyLink to be very easy to use, I have had no issues with syncing my devices to it and the controls in the Sonic are simple to use. The driving position in this car is great. Visibility out the front is excellent and having the back up camera has come in handy for me as well. This is an excellent handling car. I enjoy driving this car and find myself making up excuses to go out just so that I can drive it, I like it that much. This is a very comfortable car on long trips. I have recently taken it up to Ohio and found the seats to be very supportive. This is one of a few cars that I have been in on a long trip that I didn't feel worn out after it was over. The gas mileage has been pretty good so far. I have the 1.8, not the 1.4 turbo, so I don't get the 40 mpg it's rated at, but my car averages about 30 mpg city and highway driving combined. There is actually a lot of room in this car too. I find it to be close to my Corolla in terms of interior room and it actually has more trunk space than the Corolla, my Corolla is an '08, not sure what the '14's are like. The car has plenty of power for it's size and the motor and transmission are well suited to this car. The only complaint that I have about this car is the armrest on the driver seat. I don't really care for it's position and kind of wish that GM would have made a regular console with an armrest instead. Only thing I have to nitpick! This is actually a fun car to own and has exceeded my expectations. SiriusXM is great to have, especially since you don't have a CD player with MyLink in the Sonic, only AUX jacks. The best thing for me though is this, although it has a high parts content from Korea, this car was assembled in Michigan."

Fresh and clean.

My First Car

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Great Gas Mileage, Very Nimble."

Cons: "Engine not as PEP as other subs."

"When I got my license back on 5/27 i was looking at VARIOUS car's including this one. The Line up was the Mazda3,Focus,Rio and the Sonic. I Originally was Going to get the Mazda3 but then it was sold...but wasn't warranted by the Manufacturer. So it was a toss between the Rio and the Sonic since the Focus didn't get a GREAT Review by CR. So in the End I bought the Sonic..it's my First Car, it Rides well..VERY Good HANDLING, & Came with 3 months Free OnStar, which I will continue after the trial is over, and I even use the OnStar App for my iPhone. VERY Good Gas Mileage, although i Got the LS Auto with Power all EXCEPT Windows and no Cruise Control. VERY Nimble and Fun Car To Drive."

Wonderful Starter Car!

By on Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Pros: "cheap, fun, amazing features, awesome gas mileage"

"I have had this car for a few months now and I love it. I traded in my Ford Focus for a new car, this is what I was approved for. I didn't even want to test drive this car until I saw it and got inside. One test drive and I was sold. it drives beautiful, has some great features and at the price it cost its like the extra stuff was free. So far nothing has broken, no issues whatsoever and I have a blast driving it. Its fun, feels sporty on the highway, and different from other cars in its class. Originality in a car these days is hard to find."

Excellent car!

By on Monday, June 30, 2014

"Great, quality vehicle, especially for the price. Sporty look with great gas mileage (about 32 in town, 35 highway). Roomy interior. The brick on black interior with leather seats that warm your bumm is fantastic. Not exactly a powerhouse but it was never intended for that."