2013 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $13,878 - $14,233.

10/7.8

Based on 104 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

I feel like this car was made exactly for me!

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"I went into test driving a Chevy with some reservations. Especially a compact where the market is dominated by foreign cars like KIA, Hyundai, Toyota, and Honda. Boy was I wrong. Lets start from the beginning. I had been driving a KIA that was approaching 100k miles and was in need of a new car that had the best fuel economy available and also a warranty. So I figured I would go back to KIA. I test drove the Rio and was unimpressed. It just didn't do anything for me. Not only the car itself but also the pricing on upgrading a base model to an automatic transmission and power package. After tallying up all of that, I was out of my price range. Since that didnt work out, I figured I would ride it out with what I had and not get a new car. Then I came across the Sonic on the dealerships website. I was first drawn to the look of the front of the exterior. Very sporty looking. Chevy has separated themselves from the pack by dramatically changing the way the front end looks compared with most compacts out on the road. Afterall, this is what you would see coming down the road. Might as well make it look good. So I did alot of research on the Sonic. The only thing that was holding me back was the mileage ratings on the sticker. My KIA was still pumping out 33mpg on average, and the Sonic seemed to be slightly better from what I was reading. I figured I would request a test drive of the Sonic anyways just to stoke my curiosity. From the moment I put it into 1st gear at the dealership and hit the road I was hooked. The car feels solid for being so small. It rides nice and has good insulating qualities for keeping out road and wind noise. I test drove (and purchased)the base model Sonic which is the 5 speed manual, 1.8L engine. It has crank handle windows, but comes standard equipped with keyless entry, power doors and locks, am/fm radio with auxillary input (no cd - no big deal to me). One thing I thought was great with the radio in this car that I had not had before is the ability to store both AM and FM stations on the same favorites list. So. The gas mileage seems to be quite the topic of contention concerning this car and the 1.8L engine in it. To be honest I was a little concerned when I first started driving the Sonic because I was only getting about 34mpg (highway) for the first few hundred miles. However, after hitting the 500 mile mark on the odometer, this car is showing me how economical it can be. This morning, I averaged 42.8 mpg. Unbelievable but true. Granted 37 of the 40 miles I drive to work are freeway miles at speeds 55 to 70 mph. Driving around town does drop the averages down quite a bit to the high 20's / low 30's but still well within reason. My only gripes are minor. When starting the car first thing in the morning it sounds louder than I am used to. Not excessively loud but just enough to make you notice. The radio speaker system they put in the base model barely is adequate and the radio menus are somewhat clunky to navigate. The cup holders are positioned farther back than I would like them to be in the center. The dashboard console is lacking certain features like an always present "engine temperature" that is on most cars. And lastly...I am not particularly fond of pressing "menu" every time I want to switch the console reading from odometer/trip over to avg. mileage/till empty readouts. Independent buttons would have worked just as well. The cons are typically items that are associated with the "bells and whistles" of the car not the mechanical operation. The car as a whole itself is fantastic and I am loving it. This is a solid little car that is fun to drive and should save you some money in the long run. I now look forward to driving again because of my Sonic."

Good car for the money

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pros: "Plenty of room, good price, plenty of power,"

Cons: "Hard plastic interior, really light in winds"

"I have driven this car for a while now and I really do like it. It has plenty of power and the gas mileage is really good. If taking car with accelerating and driving a little slower this car can get 40 miles per gallon. I really like the entertainment system and the hands free features. The onstar navigation has helped me alot. There is plenty of room, more than I ever thought possible with such a small car. The car is very quiet with little wind noise. There is plenty of storage for small items everywhere. I like the extra storage compartment above the glovebox and the USB connection within this storage space. There are some things that I have learned to live with though. The hard plastic interior takes a little to get used to. The car sits higher in the rear so seeing behind can be hard. The car is very light, so it is harder to hold straight in strong winds. Its gears does not allow it to coast freely down long hills, but I guess this saves on brakes. These things aren't a deal killer for me. A good sporty car for the price."

LOVE IT!!!

By on Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Cons: "No trunk release in the car, only on key."

"I love my Sonic. We just had a snow storm with 8 inches. The Sonic was great! My husband calles her the beast because she went through it like nothing. Love the safety!"

30+ MPG and a Very Smooth Ride!

By on Saturday, October 06, 2012

"I purchased my Sonic LT sedan (1.8 engine, 6-speed sutomatic) a month ago and I must say I have enjoyed driving it thus far. I traded in my 2002 impala for this car for the higher mpg's and was ready to downsize. After test driving the car, I knew I had to have it. I have driven the car about 750 miles so far and am consistently getting 30+ mpg. At the last fill up, I had a combined 30.5 mpg (70% highway 30% city). This was my manual calculation. The onboard computer recorded 31.4 so the calculations were very close. Of course, I have been driving rather conservatively, usually going 60-65 mph. I love how the car drives. The engine has great power for a car of this size and it drives very smoothly. Also, the steering is light but not too light. The car is great on the highway as well as the city streets. I really like the features that the LT has. I like the bluetooth, the cruise control, and all the cubby holes to store certain items. The interior looks great and the cloth seats are very comfortable. Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase. It is an awesome looking car with a decent amount of power under the hood."

28,000+ miles average mpg I'm getting 34!

By on Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Pros: "great little car. Can park it anywhere."

Cons: "Buy cruise, save speeding ticket costs"

"I only wish I had bought cruise. I cost me a speeding ticket; so fast so quiet it's easy to have to "back off" when just talking and driving! Combined city and highway with 93 octane clean gas my dashboard computer says 34.1 mpg. With the rear seat folded down I even hauled 4- 3' by 3' new windows, stacked, with the rear hatch closed. Lots of behind the front seat space. My wife wants me to buy her one; with cruise."

See if you qualify for