2013 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $13,866 - $14,245.

10/7.8

Based on 107 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Great car but honest review

By on Friday, August 22, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage using the turbo and 6spd,"

Cons: "one arm rest"

"I've purchased this car specifically because I commute 120 miles per day round trip. I opted for the LT-1 Turbo, so mid level with onstar and mylink radio. My car has cloth interior and both sets of mats, power locks and windows but manual seats. It has the 1.4L Turbo with the 6 spd manual. Engine performance: Now, I own a turbo diesel truck so I am up to speed on turbo lag. This car is no different in that department, except what I found is that if you blip the throttle then give it some gas turbo lag is non-existent. It is just something you get used to and remember when pulling across a side street. Transmission: The gearing between 1-2-3 is pretty tall and in some cases you will lug the engine if you are not paying attention. But where this car shines is the 5th and 6th gear. They are a great ratio and add to fuel economy. Shifting is smooth and precise. Sometimes though if you are not paying attention or being too easy on the gas you will miss 6th and drop it into 4th. Fuel economy. Because I commute such a distance and I have taken this vehicle on road a couple road trips, I can definitely talk to the fuel economy aspect of this car. The first week I had this car 52.6 mpg was the norm at 65mph. Now it has settle into 48.9 mpg average across my 60 mile commute over rolling terrain. I have two routes I can take. The 48mpg is a back country open highway, the second route is an urban freeway with lots of overpasses to climb. When taking this route the car will average 44.6mpg. note these trips are all with the A/C on, which actually doesn't ever seem to change the MPG at all. One major factor I have found is the type of fuel and from what gas station will cause the fuel economy to go up or down. I found that Conoco or Chevron both yield the worse mileage ratings over the coarse of two full tanks or for me two weeks worth of driving. I run premium which I have also found yields 3-4mpg better, which over my 22K miles per year is an extra $107, for the year. I found that Shell, safeway, Costco and Mavrick country stores yield the best MPG ratings. I am assuming it is because they do not place addatives into the fuel. Also, I know the Conoco has ethanol which drops the mpg ratings. Audio- This car is not Apple product friendly. The USB port is worthless for apple products and the blue tooth support is sporadic with apple as well. However using any android device including my Samsung tablet, the car has no issues. You can even plug in an external hard drive or USB stick. Show pictures on the screen or play movies and media files from the device. OnStar and Hands free. This car has some cool features in the Mylink system. On the steering wheel you can control your phone and make a phone call from your cell phone. Or on the rear view mirror you can use the vehicles built in cell service to make a phone call. Both calls go through the vehicles speaker system. The onstar function is actually pretty cool. I have used it a lot for directions. Call onstar, tell them where you want to go and they beam you the directions right to your stereo. It then gives you turn by turn directions to where you want to go. No actual navigation required. Driving impressions: You have to face reality, this is a sub-compact car. But there is still room for a small family on a short road trip. We have used it twice to take a 6 hour drive with two adults and two teenagers. So 4 people in the car. The kids never complained once and said they had enough room. But to be fair to them I did stop a few times. This car is zippy and nimble. I am always amazed that it can turn around on a one lane road and the uturn in a parking lot is just amazing. But then again, coming from an F350, a 777 on a runway can turn better. Overall this car is a great fun little car. The gas mileage with the Turbo 6spd is off the charts. The fit and finish is very good and the build quality is stellar. If I had one complaint it is the fact there is only one arm rest in the car. But it you had two, it would cover up the cup holders, so that makes sense. FYI, my car is the sedan and not the hatchback. Now for the other side of things. My wife took this car on a road trip from Utah to Idaho, to Nevada and back to Utah. She said that she really likes this car. That is saying a lot for a person that is used to driving a Honda Pilot with plenty of room. She raved about the radio and how easy the car was to drive, even though it is a manual transmission. When ever I am home she opts to take the Sonic to run errands or even pick the kids up from school. That just goes to show you how good of a package this little car is. I plan on giving it to my son in couple years when he starts driving."

Perfect!

By on Sunday, August 10, 2014

Pros: "Perfect!"

"I love my Sonic! It's comfy, peppy, easy on gas, parks easy, holds a lot of items under the hatchback and looks like a little SUV!"

SONIC RS Is Great!

By on Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pros: "Very fun to drive"

"I've had this car now for 1 1/2 years. It is exactly what I expected and wanted. I owned a Cobalt before and it was just not fun to drive. Nothing wrong with it, just BLAH! The Sonic is sporty and eye catching and has plenty of get up and go. The steering is a lot stiffer than most cars I driven which is great since I like to zip in and out of traffic just for fun! I don't get the gas mileage it states, but I do like to tromp on the gas pedal. I still get at least 27 mpg."

Satisfying small car.

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Interior comfort, quality feel"

Cons: "Armrest."

Fresh and clean.

"I bought my '14 Sonic LTZ Sedan in April and so far, I love it. I am shocked at how good the quality of this car is so far. I also have a Corolla and I find the materials in this car to be on par with Toyota, at least in initial quality, I have only had this car 3 months after all. The exterior looks great. I recommend paying the $325 for Crystal Red Tintcoat, as this color looks great on this car. I love having a spoiler and the exposed headlights are a really cool feature on these cars. So far, I have found Chevy's MyLink to be very easy to use, I have had no issues with syncing my devices to it and the controls in the Sonic are simple to use. The driving position in this car is great. Visibility out the front is excellent and having the back up camera has come in handy for me as well. This is an excellent handling car. I enjoy driving this car and find myself making up excuses to go out just so that I can drive it, I like it that much. This is a very comfortable car on long trips. I have recently taken it up to Ohio and found the seats to be very supportive. This is one of a few cars that I have been in on a long trip that I didn't feel worn out after it was over. The gas mileage has been pretty good so far. I have the 1.8, not the 1.4 turbo, so I don't get the 40 mpg it's rated at, but my car averages about 30 mpg city and highway driving combined. There is actually a lot of room in this car too. I find it to be close to my Corolla in terms of interior room and it actually has more trunk space than the Corolla, my Corolla is an '08, not sure what the '14's are like. The car has plenty of power for it's size and the motor and transmission are well suited to this car. The only complaint that I have about this car is the armrest on the driver seat. I don't really care for it's position and kind of wish that GM would have made a regular console with an armrest instead. Only thing I have to nitpick! This is actually a fun car to own and has exceeded my expectations. SiriusXM is great to have, especially since you don't have a CD player with MyLink in the Sonic, only AUX jacks. The best thing for me though is this, although it has a high parts content from Korea, this car was assembled in Michigan."

Fresh and clean.

My First Car

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Great Gas Mileage, Very Nimble."

Cons: "Engine not as PEP as other subs."

"When I got my license back on 5/27 i was looking at VARIOUS car's including this one. The Line up was the Mazda3,Focus,Rio and the Sonic. I Originally was Going to get the Mazda3 but then it was sold...but wasn't warranted by the Manufacturer. So it was a toss between the Rio and the Sonic since the Focus didn't get a GREAT Review by CR. So in the End I bought the Sonic..it's my First Car, it Rides well..VERY Good HANDLING, & Came with 3 months Free OnStar, which I will continue after the trial is over, and I even use the OnStar App for my iPhone. VERY Good Gas Mileage, although i Got the LS Auto with Power all EXCEPT Windows and no Cruise Control. VERY Nimble and Fun Car To Drive."