2012 Chevrolet Sonic

Based on 165 Ratings for the 2012 - 2016 models.

Stylish, fun to drive, good gas mileage!

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

Pros: "Stylish, good gas mileage, easy to load"

Cons: "No armrest for passenger"

"I've owned my Sonic since it was brand new. It now has over 32,000 miles on it. I love it just as much now as when I first bought it. Its a small car, and I don't expect more out of it than would be appropriate for this class of car. The car gets the best gas mileage at 55 mph; I can get 41-43 mph driving 55. Driving 70-77, I drop down into the mid 30s. I don't drive enough just in town to tell you what it gets in town alone. Its peppy. The transmission does take some getting used to. It is a little hard shifting. Compared to some small cars I've had before, where you had to get out and push them up hills, this car is in a class by itself. A trip through some good hills up and down last weekend, and had no problems keeping up and passing other cars. Love my car. Will buy another one."

A Nice Little Car for the Price

By on Friday, September 5, 2014

"I bought this car because it is assembled in USA. My car is 2013 LTZ with 5 speed manual transmission, gas mileage is excellent, combine highway and city, 33.9 miles. I drove the car cross the country, it's given me a lot fun! The only thing is the clock synchronization is not working and the leather seats look like fake. Otherwise, it is a perfect car! Thanks GM!"

Quick acceleration, and solid grip but lousy MPG!

By on Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Pros: "Acceleration"

Cons: "MPG, Resale Value"

2013 Chevrolet Sonic- Silver LS Automatic

"I purchased this unit during March of 2014 as a certified pre-owned vehicle with 10,700 miles on from the get-go. I found the ride to be rather pleasant but also somewhat sporty! The noisy engine I found to be rather thrilling for my taste, as it somewhat resembles my 2011 v6 Camaro. This vehicle however, is much lighter and better balanced! My trim is the base LS automatic engine that comes with just the very basics and no outgoing bells & whistles. I didn't do much haggling with the price as they were at way under my price range for that year and model. Even though I’m not so happy with the Sonic’s MPG, as well as its resale value, I have to admit it was a great decision by far. I’m rather content overall with the purchase, and if given the chance again, I would certainly buy the Chevrolet Sonic a second or third time!"

2013 Chevrolet Sonic- Silver LS Automatic

Great vehicle for the price!

By on Friday, August 17, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "No cruise control, cup holder placement"

"Bought the LS Base Model Sonic for my daughter back in May. Immediately took it on vacation, putting 1,900 miles on it. Was pleasently surprised on it's comfort and handling. I have a bad back and have difficulty with long drives and the seats in the Sonic gave me no problem. Back seat comfort was adequate as well as the leg room. Gas mileage on the highway is fantastic. Only wish it had a bigger gas tank and cruise control. Only issue I have is with a defect in the paint on the hood; looks like a chemical stain underneath the clearcoat. Pointed out to the dealership two months ago and still waiting for a response."

Best quality vehicle we have owned.

By on Sunday, August 7, 2016

Pros: "Looks, fun ride, features/accessories,air-bags"

Cons: "Cup holder position.Fairly high priced."

"We only have 18,000 miles on our Sonic, bought new. The Turbo 1.4L Sonic 6-speed-automatic is quiet but very peppy. Jackrabbit starts reduce mileage considerably! At steady 45mph it can achieve 52mpg. At 35-40mph with few stops, mileage is 38-42mpg. Stop and start in town is 26-30mpg. TEN Air-Bags ! We drive sensibly, and only once a month the transmission "hunts" a moment for a gear. If you have a lead-foot and brake hard and lead-foot again, the transmission will "hunt" for a gear. Otherwise, the gear changes are imperceptible. Coasting to a stop the transmission gradually downshifts through all the gears, and in gear 2 the engine is engaged and it torques like a light braking effect. At Idle, the transmission disengages; when brakes are released, it engages instantly. Manually shifting through the gears is available, but is no fun, as it overrides your choice (for sake of safety?) too often, and if you play the gears, fuel mileage FALLS. Ride is perfect and sporty for vehicle type and size, and the car hugs the road and takes turns without sway. Electric steering has road feel and requires a little effort, so you know you are driving. Power Brakes also require a little force, but it stops on a dime. Style is quirky in rear, handsome in front, rakish from side. Wheels are painted silver alloy, never get brake dust stains, and always appear clean. Monotone color scheme is achieved free if car is black or gray. Interior is durable, and roomy enough if you are 5'10" or less. 4'10" wife drives with safe space between face-chest and the steering wheel. Seats are not too low, as some small cars can be. Rear visibility is greatly blocked by rear-seat headrests, which we remove if we have no riders back there. Brake lights are VERY bright. Headlights do the proper job. There is a spacious hidden compartment above the mini-spare-tire, and then the visible storage is ample for a car of very short bodied hatchback design. Rear seats fold down very close to flat. High ceiling allows lots of headroom and increases hatch volume...the car is about 2 inches taller than other cars I have owned. Tachometer is bold and analog, Speedometer is digital and easy to read. Radio sounds terrific, even when blasting. Oil life monitor and continuous mpg readout and other choices are on the computer-mini-screen. Fuel gauge has 12 boxes that relate perfectly to the approx. 12-gallon tank. A warning light goes on when using last gallon. Stiff plastic Door Pocket rim rubs the side of your leg. Cup holder between front seats is too far back. Glove box and an electronic device box are good sized. Powerful heat/a-c fan and tight body actually makes you have to slam the last door shut."

Amazingly quirky; Great Value; Stands out.

By on Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Pros: "Comfortable seats, especially for such a small car"

Cons: "Small tank, but fills up for cheap :) $16-$22!!!"

"I just got it a few weeks ago, and I love it. Not only did I get a great deal of discounts (went from 24000 to 11600), but it has everything. It's a jet black sonic rs sedan. It's got wifi, a digital display, lane keep assist, and a trunk space like you wouldn't believe! And it's got so many little quirky Millennial touches, from a little notch in the upper glove box for when you have an aux cable plugged in, to a third cup holder, and the most comfortable seats you are gonna get in this segment. I was actually thinking about a Honda Civic, but it started with 20% off for Summer, and ended with all of the standard equipment. Also, this little turbo has quite a bit of kick to it... Just accelerating from a red light gets Mustangs making challenges. It can't exactly compete, but it's still really cool. :)"

Fun. Cheap.

By on Sunday, December 23, 2012

Pros: "Price. Turbo. Good gas mileage."

At the lot!

"Get the turbo. Fun to drive. Good for price. Good gas mileage. Buy American."

At the lot!

fun to drive, solid daily commuter!

By on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Pros: "mpg, room, engine, suspension"

Cons: "interior materials, American car dealers"

"I purchased a Sonic after test driving a Hyundai Accent and Ford Fiesta. I liked the Accent just as much, but the price is what got me into the Sonic. Since it was a '13 model I got it for pretty cheap. A similar Accent would have been a few grand more. I drive over 100 miles a day for work so I wanted something good on gas and reliable. So far this little Chevy fits the bill, and more. LIKES: Engine/6 speed manual. For being a little 1.4, I have no problems merging onto the highway which I was scared of going into the subcompact class. Suspension. Feels great on the road for only weighing around 2700 lbs. In the Fiesta I was a little nervous test driving it on the highway, but the Sonic felt great even at 80mph. Interior is very roomy. I can fit two car seats (with kids in them) and myself/pass in the front seats with no problems. The Accent didn't seem big enough to pull this off. I was surprised I could pull this off without making major adjustments to my seating position. Bluetooth easy to set up, easy to use. Great gas mileage!! With the 1.4/6 speed manual I get around 41 mpg highway, 34 in mixed driving. DISLIKES: American car dealerships are the worst (not the cars fault but was almost a deal breaker for me). Arm rest fabric is so rough it gives me rug burn. Pretty much unusable. No spare tire. I don't want anything to do with some inflator kit. No streaming bluetooth audio (I heard the '14 has this). Only 1 key? come on Chevy.... CONCLUSION: I would recommend this car for sure. I personally liked it better than the Fiesta, and just as much as an Accent (actually a little better I suppose considering the interior room issue). I have been averaging around 41-42 mpg highway and was pretty surprised my family could fit in this thing comfortably. I love this car!!"

best ever

By on Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, comfortable, good gas m"

Cons: "no dvd, bad gps app"

"I AM ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CAR!! i purchased my car 4 months ago with 45,000 miles on it and i could not be happier. Car is so cute inside and out! everyone compliments it on how nice the interior is. runs great, only problem i had was having to replace the heating element on the drivers side 1 month in. Also the gas mileage is really good! $25 to fill the tank and lasts me along time...ill drive 60 miles on the highway and look down to see it JUST went down one gas notch. I could not be more happy with the car I picked...It is really fun to drive, i do not have any blind spots....for a small car it has plenty of front space and a decent amount of back space."

Great car for teenager.

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage comfortable peppy"

Cons: "Bad resale value interior build quality is cheap"

"I feel there is an issue with my transmission that has not been dealt with by the dealership despite numerous attempts at a diagnoses. Otherwise the car is comfortable to drive, has some pep thanks to the turbo and its cute. Aside form the horrible resale value its a pretty decent car. Brakes are spectacular if you don't mind them a little touchy. The build quality could use some better craftsmanship on the interior. Overall not bad."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Sonic near Honolulu. See local deals