2012 Chevrolet Sonic

Based on 87 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25
Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Inexpensive, surprisingly refined, and thrifty!

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Pros: "Amazing refinement, great mileage, many toys."

Cons: "No diesel version avail. in US."

"2012 Chevy Sonic LT Hatckback, Bluetooth package, 5 speed manual, 1.8l non-turbo. I purchased this car new in Dec '11. After almost 30k miles, I still love it. Seats are comfy, interior is extremely quiet for an economy car, mileage has consistently exceeded the specs, and the only 2 little issues I've had were covered under warranty -- no questions asked. The steering and brakes are very responsive, and the stability control w/ good snow tires got me through snow and ice that I probably shouldn't have been in without issue. There's plenty of space, Phone syncs nicely with the bluetooth, dual glove boxes (one for phone or other with usb port and aux port), trunk is bigger than it looks, and back doors are easy to get kids/dogs/cargo into. My one complaint is the dual mass flywheel, it's SO heavy. Yes, it helps noobs learn to drive stick, and yes, it makes the car smooth and vibration free, but it diminishes the amount of hoonage possible... :) It has so many features for a car that I paid less than $16k for... You really NEED to at least test drive one if you're shopping for an economy car."

Inexpensive, surprisingly refined, and thrifty!

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Pros: "Amazing refinement, great mileage, many toys."

Cons: "No diesel version avail. in US."

love the gas mileage, and all the options

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage Fun to drive Good power"

Cons: "Low roof line, poor leg room in rear, rear windo"

"In general this is a great car but does have a few things that really bug me. The rear window is impossible to keep clean because of the body design. All road moisture and dust is deposited on the rear of the body an window. The roof line in front is low making it hard to enter for taller or larger people. Great gas mileage."

Great car for teenager.

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage comfortable peppy"

Cons: "Bad resale value interior build quality is cheap"

"I feel there is an issue with my transmission that has not been dealt with by the dealership despite numerous attempts at a diagnoses. Otherwise the car is comfortable to drive, has some pep thanks to the turbo and its cute. Aside form the horrible resale value its a pretty decent car. Brakes are spectacular if you don't mind them a little touchy. The build quality could use some better craftsmanship on the interior. Overall not bad."

I am totally in love with this car.

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive handles well and the cool tech"

Cons: "When your phone is lock can't access the apps"

"I love the Piano black goes all the way up in the new 2014 gives it a more premium look and the back up camara that comes with the car. I love this 13 turbo Rs it is Cyber Gray iput Carbon Fiber Bow ties it looks so good compare to the lower level Sonics. It drives so good I am trying to get a 14. that is why i am on the website"

Poor gas mileage, poor performance

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "Remote star"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage and performance."

"Mileage below 20 mpg combined, the suspension of fair quality with only 8000 miles and has problems, poor acceleration power."

Great economy level car

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pros: "great price, decent mechanics, stylish interior,"

Cons: "no rear A/C, no cooled seats, slow, Auto/tran slow"

"7.5/10. This a great car for the price, I have a 2013 LTZ Sedan, with the 1.8L 6speed Auto/Tiptronic transmission. As of yet I am averaging around 26-27MPG lifetime, including using the remote start all winter. Since I have the LTZ, I have the MyLink touchscreen, with the USB/3.5mm jack in the top glovebox, and 6 speakers, the leatherette heated seats, heated mirrors, and so far the driving has been great, keep in mind people this is only a $15-20K car, so don't expect sporty performance, but it is decent around town and on the highway, and with pretty good MPG its all of about $20-$30/week for gas using 89 Octane fuel. Overall I would highly recommend this for any young adult, or any adult without a big budget. Astounding value for the price, drives great and I'm a 20's male, did manage to get a ticket lol so its more than enough zip."

The Sonic

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

Pros: "Great Price, Quick with the turbo, Reliable, MPG"

Cons: "No touch screen"

"Pretty great car, especially for the price."

SO MUCH FUN TO DRIVE!

By on Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great mpg, interior features"

Cons: "wheel well gap,"

"I bought this car purely on a test drive, with no intentions to buy a new car. I absolutely fell in love! The 1.4l turbo is the way to go however, and Im glad I got it. The power isn't massive, but its very peppy, handles incredibly well and the understeer doesn't control you in the tight turns. Would be an awesome track car as well. Great on gas too! I run premium always, and have seen 45mpg highway, and usually am around 33 to 36 around town when driving like a law abiding citizen. Great car, a blast to drive."

Absolutely love this car

By on Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pros: "Turns on a dime, fund to drive"

Cons: "Only one outlet plug, back seat small for adults"

"With our family shrinking in size, my husband & I decided to down size. Although it has been an adjustment when we have our adult children with us (from van to car), this is a wonderful car. Gas is fantastic, especially on long trips with an average of 40+ on the highway. City driving averages 35 mph. It desperately needs more outlet plugs as one just doesn't do it when you need to charge 2 or more phones & a possible GPS."

Not my type of car. Not that econonomical.

By on Sunday, February 02, 2014

Pros: "Wrong car for us."

Cons: "Harder for elderly people to get in and out.."

"Not our kind of car. Traded a 2008 Toyota Sienna CE. Bad choice. Not really that economical, and hard for us to transition to such a small car. Not worth the money..."

It's a great car

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

"The car is perfect but it's a13upgrade to 14"

Best Car For The Price

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "Price, Gas, Stiling, Safety, fun to drive."

Cons: "Small trunk, what do you except?"

"I have 2013 Sonic Turbo 1.4L 5 door Ltz. I have 17 cars and trucks. All are SRT Supercharged/ Turbo Dodge's and am used to power. This car is great as far as power and gas mileage. The safety rating is the best for this size of car. I bought this car for in town and has lived up to its name. I have had many complements, in regards to stile and performance. From 0 - 60mph its faster then the Camaro & Mustangs v-6's and gets about 38MPG. I would buy this car all over again. Totally love it for the bang for the buck!!!!"

I made a BIG mistake!!

By on Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pros: "small and easy to park"

Cons: "Bluetooth unreliable, cheap leather, fogs up easy."

"I absolutely hate this car! It was a very bad decision on my part. First, it fogs up very quickly and builds up dust all over. I was told by the dealership…after purchasing…that because it is so small and has very tight seals, the dust and fog are a likely characteristic of this car. The blue tooth is very unreliable. I am constantly having to switch between iPhone and bluetooth…very annoying and unsafe. Snow? Forget it! I got stuck twice today; on a hill and then parked on a side street. Cheap leather….ugh! Seats feel more like plastic than like leather. Still cannot download pictures onto dash screen. No biggie…but is one of their claims. One good thing…easy to park since it is so small. I am already upside down and have been making hefty payments since purchasing. This car does not hold its value. I am so very disappointed in this car!"

Best car for the price

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

"I was looking to buy a 2nd car for better gas milage and when my family comes to visit me they have there own car to get around town. Since I bought my Sonic LT sedan I have been impressed. The gas milage is great I get in the city around 30 miles. the handling of the car is amazing. The inside is big and comfortable. the price I paid for the car I got all the bell and whistle you want to get on a new car not sacrificing my wallet. The fixture I love on this car is the on star app from my phone. Could start my car from anywhere. When driving at night time combining the head lights with the fog lights the lights distance is wider and longer is better then my other car. I use this car more then my other car. My sister drove it over the holidays and she loves it."

overall nice car

By on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

"sporty and fun to drive. Only bad thing is if you have 4 people and going somewhere there isn't enough room for luggage."

Wow.. Love it!

By on Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pros: "Perfect... All around for the price"

Cons: "Sits a little low. Front end bottomed a few times"

"Just over a year old now and our family LOVES the Sonic!... Style, Comfort, space efficient, and spunk!... the gas mileage is great (Avg. 33 daily - 42 Hwy)"

Fun little car, awesome styling, average mileage

By on Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pros: "Styling, fun to drive, excellent handling, comfort"

Cons: "Average mileage, cup holders, no psgnr armrest"

"My wife and I own the 2013 LTZ hatchback turbo with white diamond tricoat. We love driving it with the turbo engine! You can definitely feel that extra torque around the 3,000RPM range when you're needing to get around someone on the road. I have never seen another white diamond sonic out there so we love how unique our car is. Both the exterior and interior styling is quite nice. We chose the hatchback over the sedan though mainly based on styling. The hatchback looks sporty and classy whereas the sedan looks cheap and "rental car" like. The exterior has very sharp styling, with pieces like the headlights outlined in black to make it "pop" more. The interior has the leatherette seats which make it feel more luxurious than what you're paying for. The leather-wrapped steering wheel is also a nice touch. We love the chevy infotainment system! A little glitchy at times though when you start up the car--probably an easy to fix software issue. It is very roomy for how small it is. Great headroom and both of our dogs fit great in the back, especially with the seats folded down. The driving is sporty and I have never driven a car with better handling. Chevy outdid themselves on that. Steering feels so real, yet easy to steer and the suspension is second to none. Braking, however, is not very smooth, and it's not all due to the brake system. It seems like they have the down shifts working overtime when you're stopping to save your brakes but it makes it a little jumpy when you're trying to come to a smooth stop. Also, the engine is a little slow to respond sometimes--just depends which gear. Usually quicker to respond in the city around 3-4000 rpms but slower to respond on the highway in 5th or 6th gear, definitely better on the gas though. The gas mileage was another somewhat disappointing part. However, the numbers always fall into the EPA estimated range. We range about 29-30 mpg combined, mainly city. I am spoiled though, my 1999 civic gets over 40 all the time so I am probably making an unfair comparison. I just expected it to get closer to the 37 end of the spectrum. We do average around 35 when we are highway driving so really no complaints, just more of me wondering why in 14 years we haven't been able to come up with better mileage numbers for small cars. Cup holder placement would be another small complaint--just kind of awkward to reach when you're in the front. Also, no arm rest for the passenger, although there really isn't any room to put it so I understand why the designers did not include one. Like I said, I love this car and it was a great buy. A few minor details that I would change but other than that, I would recommend it to anyone."

Think about another auto

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "Better after michelin Exalto Tires"

Cons: "20 K dose not buy much this day and time"

"oThis car or should I say most of them have a 1.8 liter mtr. Made by Daewoo. Owned by GM, Daewoo the car Co that couldn't make it in the USA. The Sonic is loaded with Daewoo Parts The car vibrates and the computer programming stinks. Mine had to be painted after 7 months of ownership. The tires again are Hankooks and they are as bad as the suspension parts. The auto is built on a Opel frame which is manufactured in Korea. The newer Sonics do not have near the problems of the 2012. But more 2012 have been sold. Also the motors and trannys are American made in 2013 and 2014. Hopefully that will make a difference. Let me get back to vibration GM cant repair it and it started after the vehicle had 8000 miles. on it. The gas mileage is not what they say, in town 22 with unleaded 25 with 93 octane and 30 highway. As you can tell I am very disappointed with this car. Again I would advise anyone to look at another brand."

Sweet little subcompact

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "MPG, handling, bike inspired instument cluster"

Cons: "Passenger armrest, lack of HIDs, tiny fender flare"

"I went from a Subaru Impreza WRX STi to this wee little subcompact gem, and I must say that I am thrilled to be driving this vehicle. Sure I took a major dip in power, but the fun factor is just as great. The Sonic RS is so sleek and agile to drive! My CITY MPG is higher than the Subaru's HIGHWAY MPG. At this current moment, i can only think of 3 things - 3!! That would make the Sonic RS the top subcompact car in the United States. A passenger armrest for the front seat, larger fender flares, and Xenon HID headlights. If it is in your budget, you WANT the RS package (or at least the LTZ with the 1.4L Turbo engine). It's the little things that make the biggest differences, and you would not believe the big difference this little car has made for me."

Great car if you are looking for something small

By on Friday, October 11, 2013

Pros: "Drive, great on gas, stylish, fun to drive"

Cons: "Blind spots, not too comfy on long trips"

"This car drives nice. The interior is nice, but I think the cup holders aren't in the most convenient spots. I love that my car came is remote start. The front seats are kinda roomy, but its not great in the back. The blind spots are terrible. If I would have realized the blind spot issue before I bought the car, I would have chosen something else. But its a great car for the price."

great little ride

By on Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive well put together"

Cons: "only an armrest for the driver"

"got this for my daughter when she graduated high school. a fun to drive handles well and is well put together. great first car!! averages around 31 mpg."

Chevy has their foot in the subcompact segment!

By on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pros: "Price of base, Not common, Fun, 32 combined mpg"

Cons: "Unknown reliablitilty, low front clearance,"

"I owned the Chevy Sonic 1.8l auto for a year and 9months with 81k miles to my name. The Car is functional and practical for everyday use. The car I owned did come with some problems in the trans and was quote fixed. If you are interested in the car go for the 1.4l it is say a bit more enjoyable to drive. The mpg is up there for not being a hybrid. nonetheless it is a fun little car. The Rating is based on the value for price."

Love this car

By on Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Do not like the head rest in the car"

"Very comfortable easy on gas drives really well .There is only one thing I do not like bout this car and that would be the head rest . Other then that I love this little car I can go and go and never worry bout anything ."

fun to drive, solid daily commuter!

By on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Pros: "mpg, room, engine, suspension"

Cons: "interior materials, American car dealers"

"I purchased a Sonic after test driving a Hyundai Accent and Ford Fiesta. I liked the Accent just as much, but the price is what got me into the Sonic. Since it was a '13 model I got it for pretty cheap. A similar Accent would have been a few grand more. I drive over 100 miles a day for work so I wanted something good on gas and reliable. So far this little Chevy fits the bill, and more. LIKES: Engine/6 speed manual. For being a little 1.4, I have no problems merging onto the highway which I was scared of going into the subcompact class. Suspension. Feels great on the road for only weighing around 2700 lbs. In the Fiesta I was a little nervous test driving it on the highway, but the Sonic felt great even at 80mph. Interior is very roomy. I can fit two car seats (with kids in them) and myself/pass in the front seats with no problems. The Accent didn't seem big enough to pull this off. I was surprised I could pull this off without making major adjustments to my seating position. Bluetooth easy to set up, easy to use. Great gas mileage!! With the 1.4/6 speed manual I get around 41 mpg highway, 34 in mixed driving. DISLIKES: American car dealerships are the worst (not the cars fault but was almost a deal breaker for me). Arm rest fabric is so rough it gives me rug burn. Pretty much unusable. No spare tire. I don't want anything to do with some inflator kit. No streaming bluetooth audio (I heard the '14 has this). Only 1 key? come on Chevy.... CONCLUSION: I would recommend this car for sure. I personally liked it better than the Fiesta, and just as much as an Accent (actually a little better I suppose considering the interior room issue). I have been averaging around 41-42 mpg highway and was pretty surprised my family could fit in this thing comfortably. I love this car!!"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25
Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next
Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Sonic near Honolulu. See local deals