• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Regular Cab Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $29,389 - $30,344.

Based on 397 Ratings for the 2007 - 2014 models.

Great truck. I love it in every way.

By on Sunday, November 24, 2013

Pros: "fully loaded - plush, tows great, very comfortable"

Cons: "price new was a little steep"

"We tow our horses with this truck all the time on long trips and short. It always feels well anchored, far better than my 1/2 ton pickup. It has always been reliable, and even when the trailer brake failed, the truck was able to handle all of the braking comfortably enough. The Allison trans was a big aid in that situation (even in mountainous driving). The only real problems we've had with it have been from the trailer brake problem which caused the truck's brakes to wear prematurely. the only thing I would change about it would be better fuel economy (we're getting around 14.5mpg while towing), which has decreased over time, but I think that's more because of falling fuel quality, rather than the truck."

This pick up truck is the best we have ever owned.

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

"Chev. 2007/4-wheel,w/manual capabilities is the best. We have leather with all amenities. Ride is great, seat choices, heat,bladder,movable, etc. I am looking at selling b/c my needs have changed.Towing has been a dream with this truck. All miles are highway and milage averages, trip=18+, short trips=15-16. Quite good for a 3/4 ton! We have always been so happy with it and would recommend it."

we love this truck

By on Wednesday, October 30, 2013

"We have always owned gm products and been happy. This truck has power for pulling and the comfort for a long ride. This is a nice looking truck and sounds like the big dog it is"

Choppy Ride 2500HD

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "Style, size, power"

Cons: "3/4 ton rides like a truck..."

"Nice power, choppy ride , nice amount of options bought larger tires, stock tires are too small."

Great Truck

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"I've owned both Chevy and Ford Diesels, I changed to gas because of the maintenance and repair on the DSL's. I love this truck, great pulling power and it doesn't break the bank."

Great Truck/ Great Resale

By on Sunday, March 25, 2012

"Very strong diesel engine. Manages my 11,500lb camper with authority. I bought it new for around $37,000 and it is really holding resale value."

Best Vehicle So Far

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pros: "head turner, pulls anything, best 4 wheel drive"

Cons: "diesel particulate filter"

"I have had my silverado for 4 years now and I have put it through alot. Anywhere from hauling cattle to a rodeo or entering it in car shows. The duramax and allison have not seen a limit. Everything I have been through with this truck I only have one complaint. The exuast filter. I HATE the way it works. One example it shut down my engine power to clean the filter when I was in heavy traffic. And the worst part is that they say if it ever breaks that its not covered by any of the warranty. They made it completely automatic for convience but if it breaks its our fault."

Best riding truck ever

By on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"Commanding veiw of the road, great ride, fuel economy is 17 on hwy if you keep your foot out of it!!! Takes up 2 parking spots being crewcab with 8 foot bed. not for city!!! Will tow/pull anything!! Gasoline engine cheaper to service and is quieter!"

Starting to have trans problems 2011 CrewCab LT

By on Saturday, December 10, 2011

Pros: "Pulls and hauls very nicely, Great looking truck"

Cons: "Too many to list"

"I have many complaints about this truck. Why do the lights flicker when the turn signal, hazards or brake lights come on? This truck also has this strange popping/creaking noise coming front when accelerating that the dealer says is normal. Interior storage is horrible. The Gas 6.0 isn't very grunty, but it guzzles gas like crazy. Transmission is erratic. Interior is cheap and full of squeaks and rattles. Rough engine idle. Dashboard will buzz with engine idle and slow acceleration. Brake fluid reservoir leaks like crazy. Engine oil leak at 9500 miles. And now the truck's transmission slips with 2nd to 3rd gear shifts. I've also had brake issues that were fixed by the dealer. I'm planning to take it BACK to the dealer to hopefully get the transmission fixed, but nothing can change my mind about this truck now. This has been very disappointing from the start. What will this truck be like with 100k miles? It only has 14k miles!"

New truck with brakes problems

By on Thursday, December 22, 2011

"In and out of the shop for brake problems. They turned the rotors at 1200 miles for squealing. I Complained about a crunchy feeling brake pedal and a return of the squeal at 2800 miles. I had a dragging front brake caliper, uneven brake wear and a return of the squealing at 3900. The dealer said they had fixed all issues, but they really didn't. Now the dealer's telling me to ignore the squealing and all the other issues. It's a brand new truck, General Motors. Will you come up with a true fix or is this how you handle your business?"

Not Happy

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

"This truck is giving me too many transmission and brake problems. Truck has trouble shifting out of 2nd gear in colder weather. It slips or even stays stuck in 2nd gear at times. I've also started seeing a lot of build up around the transmission tail housing. Dealer has done everything but find fixes to the problems with the trans and brakes. I was reading a different KBB consumer review that had mentioned brake problems with their truck. The problems I'm having sound similar to that. This maybe a problem that many other owners are having. If you're looking for a 3/4 ton truck, I DO NOT recommend people buy this vehicle."

GM could do better

By on Monday, December 12, 2011

Pros: "Braking power, feels tough, nice seats, styling"

Cons: "Bad trans, gas mileage, poorly made inside and out"

"Not very happy with my purchase of a 2011 Silverado 2500HD. Interior isn't very well put together with plenty of cheap parts in a truck that costs over 40k. Many of these parts have terrible fit and will rattle and buzz...pretty annoying. The handling of this truck is also unimpressive. The steering feels sloppy with no center feel at highway speeds. If you go over bad pavement, the truck will shake and dance around so badly that keeping the truck going straight and driving at the speed of other vehicles becomes impossible. Also the gas engine and 6 speed transmission could be better than what they are. Not much low-end power, terrible 10-12 miles for a gallon of gas, and the trans always feels like it's hunting for the right gear. Beyond all that has been the reliability issues. GM has already covered transmission work in a truck with barely 20,000 miles. I had problems with the transmission slipping, not wanting to shift and/or hard shifting with a very nasty clunking sounds from the driveline that i'm still seeing and hearing even after the work was done. I've also spotted several oil/fluid leaks from this truck. I've had two Toyota trucks and one Ford that lasted much, much longer with no signs of leaks. Why is this thing doing it now?"

Best HD truck on the market

By on Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Pros: "11 cupholders! Fun to drive, can do anything"

Cons: "Should've bought it sooner!"

"I've owned this truck for a year and had absolutely zero issues and love this truck! Diesel mileage is awesome vs gas 6.0 Vortec and I get 17-21 (up to 24 if doing 60-65mph feathering it on the interstate). It will tow/haul anything coming or going. 9,000 lb boxed trailer that was 9' tall in rainy/windy conditions I could not even tell it was behind me. Stabilitrack kept me from jack knifing this trailer in the rain on weird angles. Truck only squated down 0.5" with 9k behind it. Power was on demand anytime I needed it and the jake brake (turbo brake) is awesome on steep inclines and stop and go red light driving while towing. It will out accelerate a new dodge 2500 or ford 2500. DEF is not bad it has a pretty good range and the allison trans is one of the best out there. If I had to do it all over again I would still buy Chevrolet. Quality and convenience of usb ports and electric start and nice luxuries to get if able."

Almost good.

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pros: "Feels tough, looks good"

Cons: "Interior, brake problems, gas mileage"

"Gas mileage is just over 10 mpg in mixed driving, transmission temp is all over the place, engine clatter in warmer temps, I've already had issues with the brakes and GM needs to fire the people the designed the interior. The window controls are too easy to bump, you can accidentally catch the hood release by operating the parking brake, the headlight switch is poorly designed, and the interior is both cheap feeling and boring to look at...It's also amazing to see how much soot builds up on the tailpipe and rear bumper. If you didn't know it, you could be fooled in to thinking it was running an old diesel engine. But not everything's bad... A solid feel, great hauler, good stopping power, it's easily the the nicest look truck out there."

Reasonable value

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "sporty and fun to drive, for a truck"

Cons: "transmission self destructs after 100k miles"

"I bought this truck new and off the lot it got about 12 mpg city and 17 mpg highway. I added a K&N cold air kit and a performance MAF, and reprogrammed the computer with a Jet reprogrammer for best economy, lowered the transmission shift points as far as they'd go. MPG improved dramatically - 17 city and 25 highway. Its run flawless for the first 100k miles with just minor - recall and warranty issues. Its comfortable and quite sporty for a HD 4x4. GM under rated the HP at 300hp, it clearly has lots more. Interior complaint - only 2 cup holders and the center seat doesn't fold to make a console/arm-rest. But at 108000 miles, the transmission gave out - the torque converter self destructed and sent junk throughout the transmission - ruining it. Replacement cost - $4000. I'd buy another one set up the same way - but trade it in at 100k miles before the transmission gives out."

Loves gas

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

"My Ext Cab Silverado 2500HD is both gutless and gas guzzling. Doesn't that sound like a winning combination? The 6.0L gas engine is smooth, but it doesn't develop the kind of low-end power you need in a truck. If you tow a trailer, you'll find that the transmission will frequently down shift to keep the truck going the speed you want even in tow mode. I also have my complaints about quality and reliability with this vehicles. I've been back to the dealer once for a faulty seat belt reminder that would sometimes stay on after buckling up, twice in 10k miles to have the rotors resurfaced for squeaking and once to complain about leaks around the right valve cover. Dealer told me the "that some oil build up" is "normal for all their engines. Really? An engine oil leak at 11k miles is "normal"???"

Awesome truck! True workhorse

By on Thursday, August 01, 2013

"This has been an awesome truck. It pulls or hauls anything I've ever needed it to. Can be a bit rough unloaded, but rides like a Cadillac with any weight in it. Great vehicle. Will keep for a long, long time."

OK BUT SOME PROBLEMS

By on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pros: "power"

Cons: "GM makes you jump thru hoops to get anything Fix"

"I bought this truck new. It will tow anything Plenty of Power. It is the little things dealer won't fix. Rattle in front dash from Duramax. cheap tires came a part at 15k miles dealer would only replace 2 said thats all GM would do. TRANS LEAK, HARD SHIFTING THEY SAY ITS NORMAL. Whats going to happen to me after a 100k?yea think about it! AT 30K On board computer that runs everthing went crazy.door locks ,lights , engine would stop then not start, truck was at shop for a week or so they could not figure out what was wrong mean while i got no truck still making payments to GM!!!! They gave it back said bring it back when it does it again, well i parked it in the drive way next day they had to come get it. The automatic air check in the wheels still don't work. I got tired of taken it to the dealer . My solution. I bought my own Tires all 4 and am waiting for the truck to Die! yea still got the rattle and the leak and the rough shifting all of it. $45000. truck Yea right!! hurry up Toyota with Big Diesel sooner or latter GM will get a clue. TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMER YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH A PRODUCT FIX IT DON'T PUT YOUR CUSTOMER THRU H#"L"

I wouldn't do it again

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pros: "Looks great"

Cons: "Engine, trans, brake problems, interior"

"Smooth engine, feels solid, good stopping power, great looking truck... But the interior of this truck needs more storage and cup holders, you do not have much ground clearance for truck with so little cab clearance, and the transmission and gas 6.0 are pretty pathetic. Poor gas mileage, poor power development, terrible gearing, erratic shifts and shutters are some of the things I'm not liking about this truck... I also have strange clunking and popping sounds coming front the right front. And I've been back to dealer twice for issues with brakes."

Now it leaks oil

By on Tuesday, October 04, 2011

An engine oil leak???

"Our companys trucks have been in and out of the shop from day one. I question some of the people that say how great these trucks are. Both of our company trucks have been having nothing but problems. I just spotted an oil leak on one the other day. It also has problems with a pretty bad engine knock. The other truck has electrical problems in the dashboard/instrument cluster, a tranmission that shifts extremely hard out of park and a driver's door panel that doesn't fit correctly. Both trucks have brake problems that just won't go away. Too many problem for $35,000-$45,000 vehicles with under 10,000 miles."

An engine oil leak???

Power is good. 6sp tranny' smooth.

By on Sunday, December 04, 2011

"Dealership not able to fix vibration problem. GM will not stand behind thier 5yr/100k powertrain warranty."

6 problems after owning it for only 1 month!!!

By on Friday, September 23, 2011

Pros: "Smooth engine, looks great, nice to have a 100k warrnty...looks like I'll need it."

Cons: "Cheap interior, very little storage, engine is slugish, terrible handling, rides like a rock"

"I'm VERY disappointed! This truck has had everything from oil leaks to a bad door mechanism, a transmission that likes to go thud, clunk and shutter to brakes that don't apply evenly and that like to drag after you let go of the brake pedal... Now I have a new problem with my tailgate not wanting to lock! I have never had a vehicle this poorly made!! I'm happy my dealer is trying to fix the issues, but I can't understand how a vehicle this new and expensive could have so many defects in less than one month."

Great for hauling fiver

By on Thursday, April 03, 2014

Pros: "Great luxury HD truck"

Cons: "Rides rough when not towing. Only two power ports"

"Bought truck for towing 16,000 lb. 5th wheel. It is a K2500 Durmax with the LT trim. Did the Banks air filter and exhaust conversion and also change computer settings with the Banks computer. Also added air bags. Only negative is it does ride a tad rough when not towing trailer. Wife's only comment was $xxxxx.xx and it doesn't have heated seats. When not towing and on economy I get 19-20 mpg. Towing I get 12.3 mpg."

Great power and value

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pros: "Power, style, options, standard equipment"

Cons: "Seat fabric"

"Overall great truck for a great price. Minor issues are the cloth fabric collects dust and hair, seat covers fixed that issue. V8 6.0L gas has great power for towing. Expect to pay for the towing power at the pump"

Leaks won't stop!

By on Monday, March 12, 2012

Pros: "Best looking truck, feels like a tank"

Cons: "Mpg, cheap interior, little storage, reliablity"

"My truck is now going back to the dealer for its 5th visit for warranty work. 3 times for a trans seal that keeps failing. Truck has also had brake dragging and squealing issues. The dealer turned the rotors, made adjustments on both visits, but the issue still isn't completely resolved. My other complaint is gas mileage. Can't get much more than 11 or 12 mpg in mixed driving. That's the worst gas mileage I've ever had of any truck I've owned."