• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Regular Cab

Based on 396 Ratings for the 2007 - 2014 models.

Pretty decent truck.

By on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pros: "Runs great."

Cons: "Bad mileage."

"I've recently bought a 2011 chevy 2500hd z71 4x4 extended cab gas engine. When I bought this truck it had approximately 68000 miles on it, it now has around 72000 miles on it. This truck gets approximately 15 mpg on the high side empty and 10 mpg pulling my 3 horse slant gooseneck. It pulls great the exhaust braking is useful. I would be very happy with this truck if I could get better mileage while towing. I'm afraid that if it doesn't get better mileage I will go to Dodge."

Amazing Truck with great towing capabilities!!

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Reason: traded it in on a new 2013 model

Pros: "6.6 liter Diesel, Allison transmission, Powerful"

Cons: "DEF fuel, low mpg"

"I bought a 2007 2500 HD Crew Cab Diesel and towed my 33ft fifth wheel camper with ease. I loved it so much i just traded it in for a 2013 2500 HD Crew Cab Diesel last week. Don't get me wrong, it was painful to let "Big Red" go but the resale value was so good that when i went to the dealer for a minor recall notice, they made me an offer i couldn't refuse. I never had a single problem with my 2007 Diesel and if i can offer any advice to someone researching for a new truck, it would be to get the Diesel and the Allison Transmission if you can afford it. I tow my 5th wheel camper like it's not even behind me. The Allison transmission is amazing!! Don't get me wrong, the Duramax Diesel engine is no slouch either. Will i miss, "Big Red", who in herself was still just a baby with just over 40,000 miles on her? Absolutely! The fact that "Big Blue" now sits in my driveway makes it a lot easier to handle though. Time will tell if the 2013 model will hold up as well as my 2007 but i was so impressed with "Big Red" that i have no doubt this new truck will function just as well. One slight negative is this silly DEF fuel you have to add every 7,000 miles to a separate 10 gallon tank."

I would not buy a 2500 HD again

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pros: "pulls just a little better that my 1/2 ton truck"

Cons: "Brakes down , very bad fuel mileage with 373 gears"

"Today the truck was towed as it would not start. Being Sat I can not get it fixed as the dealership closes at 1.00pm on Sat. Fuel mileage is very bad. For new truck and the best getting 15 MPG is very bad and that is driving very carefull. If I hook my bass boat on you are looking at 10 MPG. Overall a very high price for the truck and the tires where junk that came on it."

Reasonable value

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "sporty and fun to drive, for a truck"

Cons: "transmission self destructs after 100k miles"

"I bought this truck new and off the lot it got about 12 mpg city and 17 mpg highway. I added a K&N cold air kit and a performance MAF, and reprogrammed the computer with a Jet reprogrammer for best economy, lowered the transmission shift points as far as they'd go. MPG improved dramatically - 17 city and 25 highway. Its run flawless for the first 100k miles with just minor - recall and warranty issues. Its comfortable and quite sporty for a HD 4x4. GM under rated the HP at 300hp, it clearly has lots more. Interior complaint - only 2 cup holders and the center seat doesn't fold to make a console/arm-rest. But at 108000 miles, the transmission gave out - the torque converter self destructed and sent junk throughout the transmission - ruining it. Replacement cost - $4000. I'd buy another one set up the same way - but trade it in at 100k miles before the transmission gives out."

great truck has been very dependable

By on Sunday, December 09, 2012

Pros: "most depenable truck I've owned"

Cons: "needs a out side temperture gage"

"This is my work truck where during the harvest I pull over 20,000 pounds with it everyday for 2 months. I have the 6.0L engine and I am very pleased with it. I have owned Ford, Dodge, and Chevy diesels and I am not disapointed in what this engine will do. I have pulled trailers up some of the steeps hills on the interstate without needing anymore power. With the cost of buying and maintaing a diesel truck we as a company are using these trucks and they have been great. The company bought two new Dodge Diesel trucks this year and in under a year spent almost $10,000 each in repairs. Our gas Chevy trucks have not been in the shop. The new EPA requirements on the diesels are to much for them. We could not keep a clean fuel filter in them and when they get dirty at 2000 milles or less the fuel range drops to below 10 miles per gallon. However with my gas engine I have over 88,000 miles on it during my first year driving it and no problems. Just change the oil and go. I would of given it all 9's if it came with a out side temperture gage and a softer ride when empty."

Love the Duramax, not much more I love.

By on Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pros: "Suspension, Duramax engine"

Cons: "Too many to list"

"The diesel option is very expensive, but I believe it's worth it for people that really need pulling power. The engine is smooth, extremely strong and significantly more efficient than my other gas trucks that I'd owned in the past. My problem is with the truck it's in. I've had nothing but small quality problems that I think are inexcusable. My right rear door had to be adjusted because it was crooked right from the factory, the tailgate wouldn't latch on the left side of the bed, my brake fluid reservoir constantly leaks onto wires and hoses under the hood, my brake pedal feels crunchy after towing in hot weather, the black plastic parts around the hood hinges are warping and catch the hood every time i open it. Constant brake screeching, inexplicable and intermittent electrical issues that turn equipment on, off or make the equipment unresponsive. All these problems are from the time the truck was new. I also have many, many gripes with the layout of the interior and others parts of this truck. The window and lock controls are easy to bump, the glove boxes aren't very large and shaped in a strange way, the door cup holders are tight squeeze for getting bottles in and out of, steering wheel is a reach for tall drivers, steering feeling is dead, it has no center feel, ground clearance is very poor for such a tall vehicle, seat bolsters are easily wearing, rear seat crew cab isn't as roomy and comfortable as others....I can just go on and on. It's not all bad. I like the solid feel the truck has, the roll and crush of the suspension is very well controlled, brakes are strong. If I think harder, I could probably name a few other positives about the truck, but it would not outweigh the many negatives."

Endless brake and power steering fluid leaks

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Pros: "People like the way it looks."

Cons: "Too many to list."

"My trucks power steering pump has been replaced twice, but my truck still leaks fluid. Dealer can't seem to fix the problem. The second problem has been very serious buildup and dripping around my brake reservoir, all around the master cylinder and fluid lines under the hood. It's started to drip on other important parts. The dealer said that this wasn't a serious issue. Are they for real? How can possibly spilling brake fluid on to wires, hoses, etc. not be a problem? Now my third problem has been growling/scuffing sounds coming from my brakes. The dealer made adjustments to the brakes, but that also has failed to do a thing. Finally... I believe I'm starting have front suspension issues. The right front clunks while turning and accelerating hard. I have not pointed this out to the dealer yet. If I wasn't forced to deal with these issues, I still would not buy this truck again. The engine doesn't feel all that powerful, throttle feels like it has a delay that can cause the truck to lunge under harder acceleration, I'm getting poorer mileage then my last GM truck and the interior design is shameful. The cheap interior has many rattles, the seating position is awkward, the controls are poorly designed, the upper glove box is small, it's hard to fit your hand in and out of the side pockets in the doors and the design of the hood release is a safety issue. Accidentally releasing the hood is way too easy."

Solid Truck

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "great performance and value"

Cons: "plain interior"

"This is a great truck for the money. I admit that the cabin could be more luxuirious for a $45000 asking price, but this is a truck not a luxury car. I was always a Ford guy and finally decided to buy a Silverado. Pretty sure I won't change back. Great driving truck, sufficient power, and good quality. When deciding between my Chevy and getting another Ford, I penalized Ford for putting to much attention to a "great looking" cab and less on the performance of the truck. I would rather have a solid tuff truck than a pretty one. In my opinion, the Chevy is far superior to the Ford in driving impressions. The Chevy has tighter steering, less vibrations, and is more responsive when opening up the throttle. So when I look for a truck I focus more on the "guts" of the truck rather than the dashboard."

Great Work Truck

By on Thursday, May 17, 2012

Pros: "Great for towing and working"

"I have mostly used this truck for snow plowing, hauling wood, and dirt, as well pulling a camper. This truck has been great so far. The interior is a step up over the old style and a big step up over my wife's 06 f-150. Over all I have loved this truck, its done everything I need it too and I have yet to have a problem with it. If your gonna pull anything I would recomend going with the diesel engine. Have had no problems pulling the camper up hills with it. I have owned/own both ford and chevy trucks. I currently like the chevys HD's more cause of the duramax allison combo. Over all a great truck and I would get another."

Best 3/4 ton truck on the market

By on Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Cons: "Too many problems, trips to the service department"

"Too bad it's the best 3/4 ton truck on the market..."

I want to get rid of this truck.

By on Friday, April 06, 2012

"My trucks transmission likes to shudder, clunk and grind. Hard acceleration can cause the transmission to slip, engine to scream away, and the truck to jolt forward. I've been to three dealers to hopefully get these problems resolved, but I've had no luck. They either make failed repairs, or they'll simply tell me that no problem was found. I've tried talking to GM, but they keep giving me the same story. I saved up a lot of money to buy this gas guzzling, overpriced, unreliable monster. It sure does tow nicely, but that's only when the transmission isn't giving me problems. I just wish I'd never bought this thing."

best truck out there

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "strong, diesel , chevy, gas mileae"

Cons: "exhaust fluid"

"stronger, better, just the best overall"

Solid truck but....

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "power, great driving experience."

Cons: "doesnt come with the allison tranny, over priced"

"Love the truck, it rides good, the power is great (definitely chip it, its night and day in performance) the only thing I dont like is that the transmission seems to slip sometimes and ive had something fixed on the tranny (power tran warranty covered it but still). Took it off roading hard in the desert did great but I hate that it doesnt have the differential lock, really effects the trucks ability (planning to get it installed)Solid motor, great power, love how the truck rides, very solid frame, sturdy. I loaded a crate of cynder blocks (4000lbs) the truck carried it with out a problem and with ease!"

Wouldn't buy this truck again

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Cons: "Terrible gas mileage"

"Truck has had some problems in the first 40,000 miles, but nothing too serious. Now the engine has a rough idle, knock and stuttering that started after 40k. Dealer is trying to be helpful, but they've failed to fix my truck's engine."

2011 2500 HD Crew Cab

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Cons: "Too tall, eats too much gas"

"Good truck, but loves gas and the transmission needs to change gears too much."

best truck out

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "power, style, comfort, convienience, quality"

Cons: "better stereo for LT"

"This truck is well built, handles any snowfall amount, hauls without moaning. Chevy Trucks, bet built most reliable on the planet"

Great Truck

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"I've owned both Chevy and Ford Diesels, I changed to gas because of the maintenance and repair on the DSL's. I love this truck, great pulling power and it doesn't break the bank."

Great Truck/ Great Resale

By on Sunday, March 25, 2012

"Very strong diesel engine. Manages my 11,500lb camper with authority. I bought it new for around $37,000 and it is really holding resale value."

Loves gas

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

"My Ext Cab Silverado 2500HD is both gutless and gas guzzling. Doesn't that sound like a winning combination? The 6.0L gas engine is smooth, but it doesn't develop the kind of low-end power you need in a truck. If you tow a trailer, you'll find that the transmission will frequently down shift to keep the truck going the speed you want even in tow mode. I also have my complaints about quality and reliability with this vehicles. I've been back to the dealer once for a faulty seat belt reminder that would sometimes stay on after buckling up, twice in 10k miles to have the rotors resurfaced for squeaking and once to complain about leaks around the right valve cover. Dealer told me the "that some oil build up" is "normal for all their engines. Really? An engine oil leak at 11k miles is "normal"???"

Best Vehicle So Far

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pros: "head turner, pulls anything, best 4 wheel drive"

Cons: "diesel particulate filter"

"I have had my silverado for 4 years now and I have put it through alot. Anywhere from hauling cattle to a rodeo or entering it in car shows. The duramax and allison have not seen a limit. Everything I have been through with this truck I only have one complaint. The exuast filter. I HATE the way it works. One example it shut down my engine power to clean the filter when I was in heavy traffic. And the worst part is that they say if it ever breaks that its not covered by any of the warranty. They made it completely automatic for convience but if it breaks its our fault."

Good truck for the money.

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Good value, easy to handle and drive."

Cons: "Would like to see more interiors colors."

"This is my 4th chevy truck. My last one was an 06 1500HD. I pull a 33ft. 5th wheel and never had to much trouble pulling it. I can't wait to hook up to it with my 11 2500HD. From every thing I've read my camper will be no match for this truck. Good solid truck. Well styled with plenty of power. Could get better gas milage [12.5-13 mpg] but pulling power would suffer. Bought it to pull not to sit in the drive. Would recomend this truck to any one that needs to haul or pull heavy loads."

Great Truck

By on Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pros: "Great truck."

Cons: "LS version has manual windows"

"I've got the duramax and it has more power than you know what to do with. The only issue is less than desirable fuel mileage between 14-17 mpg."

best chevy ever , finaly comparable in toughness

By on Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pros: "strong , tough, quiet, handles awsome"

Cons: "all the new diesels need better fuel milage"

"the toughest chevy yet , now a front end comparable to the others"

Fantastic diesel

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "great drive, pulls strong,"

Cons: "dents easy, rattling dash, mpg"

"Great styling, strong driving and good looks inside and out. Mileage is around 17/18 in town and 22/24 on the highway when not pulling or hauling. My biggest complaint is the interior and the design of the dash - it looks good but is not designed well on installation. Quite a few rattles especially when temp is cold. The gas mileage is better than my previous gas truck, but with diesel now more expensive it's a wash except when it comes to pulling trailers. Thin body sheet metal and dents/dings easy"

one of the best

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "great engine"

Cons: "n/a"

"Great truck lots of power for pulling and good fuel ecco for long rides."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals