• 2014 Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Regular Cab

Based on 1233 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

Best Truck I've Ever Owned

By on Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, holds value,...did I say dependable???"

Cons: "Windshield washer - worst design ever!!!"

"Bought this truck used with 199000 and have used it mainly for hauling stock/horse trailer. It is completely dependable, comfortable and solid. I have put very little money into maintenance - wheel bearings, a glow plug, oil changes, a couple of batteries...nothing major. With the Allison automatic 6 speed transmission coupled with the Duramax engine, it can pull almost anything - loves to work! It can also be a thrill when you step on the gas as it is quick and very powerful. Love it, love it, love it!!! My local Chevy dealer keeps wanting to buy it from me....no way! LOL!!"

Best truck ever

By on Friday, December 06, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, power, great fuel economy"

Cons: "They are expensive up front, but worth it"

"I had never owned a diesel truck before. I didnt like how loud the ford and dodge was at the time, so I test drove this 2002 Duramax. It was quiet, powerful, and lots of room. Now 11 year later, it was the best purchase Ive ever made, and all the above is still true. Runs great, handles great, smooth ride, and still looks great. Ive had to replace things as they wear out, which is expected, but nothing has ever broken or disappointed me. Plan to keep it another 7 years (itll have 300,000 on it by then easy) and buy another just prior to retirement. Best vehicle I have ever had. A couple of friends have purchased them also, just as happy with it as I am."

Great Truck- a real workhorse.

By on Sunday, December 01, 2013

Pros: "Rides like a car"

Cons: "Typical chevy turning radius- too wide"

"My 2001 chevy Silverado 2500HD has been a great truck. The combination of the 8.1 liter engine and Allison transmission has been outstanding. This truck can tow anything!! I use the 4WD all the time and it has never let me down. I have had zero maintainance issues. The interior is comfortable and ride is smooth. It drives like an oversized car. I would highly recommend this truck for someone looking for a good used truck."

Duramax is the only way to go.

By on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pros: "Amazing engine, tons of power, bulletproof trans."

Cons: "Injector issues (fixed in 2004.5)"

"The Duramax is an amazing engine, and GM put it in a very competent truck. The suspension is wonderful. They ride better than most 1/2 ton pickup trucks. They have good brakes, good steering, and tons of power. I have almost 240,000 miles on my truck, and, aside from the known injector problem, it has needed no repairs. Still on the original transmission, original axles and bearings, and original engine. I am on my third set of injectors, but only because the second set was installed incorrectly by an inexperienced shop (my mistake trying to save money). Mine has the electronic shift 4x4, which is a very nice feature. You can switch from 2 high to 4 high on the fly while you are driving. It is very convenient in the snow. Shifting to 4 low is easy as well, but you have to be stopped and in neutral."

The best truck I have ever owned!

By on Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pros: "Drives great, plenty of interior space,comfortable"

Cons: "None that I can think of."

"I have owned this truck for three years, before that I owned an F150 with the Triton V8. This truck has more HP and Torque, drives real nice down the highway and the gas mileage isn't bad for a 6.0L V8, I average around 18-19 mpg hwy and about 15mpg in town. Truck has no problem gettin out of mud either plus it drives smoothly even off road. Overall this is a great truck and I wouold highly recommend purchasing one."

Great for towing--gooseneck, 5th wheel, trailering

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "Drives very well. Less road noise than some cars."

Cons: "Uncomfortable seats. Needs cupholders."

"This truck has rhino type liner. Towing pkg for trailering, pulling gooseneck, or 5th wheel. Has 6-liter engine. Is equipped to run on compressed natural gas (CNG) when available: gasoline when necessary. When CNG is $1.30 to $1.60 per GGE cheaper, you should save $.10 to $.123 per mile. At 200,000 miles, one could verywell save enough to pay for the whole truck. Price $21,600+CNG bi-fuel $6,000 + goosenk $400 + 5th whl $750 + bed coat $300. TOTAL $29,050."

A great and reliable truck

By on Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pros: "Great Truck, stylish and tows nicely"

Cons: "Expensive to fill up, big engine, more gas used"

"I use my truck for business and personal use. It has been very dependable and looks good too. It tows great and hauls most anything. It does use gas and it can be costly to fill up but if youre looking for a reliable truck the 2500 series Silverado is the way to go. I am a very happy Chevy owner."

runs great. never a problem

By on Saturday, November 09, 2013

"aside from all extras it also has an allison transmission. nothing wrong just want to go to a one car family"

Best truck I've ever owned!

By on Sunday, November 03, 2013

Pros: "Not bad on gas, quiet, nice looking after 12 years"

Cons: "2 wheel dr. sucks"

"I'd originally wanted a Dodge since they're such a great looking truck but in the cab with the windows rolled up, the engine noise was terrible. When I'd tried the Chevrolet out, (and I bought it new in 01), I felt like I needed to get dressed up just to get into it. Plush, very quiet, more pulling power than I'd ever need, not too bad on gas. Over the years I've put a lot of miles on it. Had to replace the injectors at 175000 and that was around $4800, ouch. Now I need to do it again as it throws a code and will not run over 65. The code says large fuel leak but Chevrolet says it's one bad injector. ($1800 to fix) with no guarantee that another might go. As I hear, injectors go out on any diesel vehicle and are replaced with rebuilt ones with no guarantee. Hmm. Still I'd bought the truck new, special ordered it in fact 2 wheel drive. Tows more than 4 wheel. I'd had a huge 5th wheel back then. What was I thinking? I live in Wyoming. It's definitely terrible on ice. I'd rebuy a new one but not the 2500, I only have a little 57 canned ham camper I take to Yellowstone so don't need the extra oomph. Great truck."

This gas-hog tank has served it's purpose well.

By on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pros: "Tough, reliable, comfortable, haul & tow anything."

Cons: "Bad gas & oil mpg, average handling."

"2500HD, 8.1 liter, Allison transmission, 4 wheel drive, I bought it new. Cons: Expensive at the time. From day one- high oil use (1.5 qts./1500 miles compared to my '88 1500 with 240K miles which had no oil use). Blue smoke at start-up about every tenth time. Dealer said these things were normal. Not! Blue smoke likely caused by poorly designed valve guides which Chevy would not fix. Slight knock when cold from short skirted "wobbly" pistons. 10 mpg avg., 14 mpg highest. Average handling vehicle. Would have liked the 60/40 split rear seat split with the 60 on the passenger side of the car. Pros: Comfortable for long hauls- 5 hours of driving for 300+ miles to a tank (mine and the truck's!). Transmission flawless. Will haul anything. Had 2600 lbs. of rock in the back a couple of times! Have towed huge tractors on huge trailers at approx. 12K lbs. - no problem. Reliable, reliable, reliable! Built like a tank. Despite high oil use, blue smoke star-ups, and "wobbly" pistons I never had an engine problem. Great truck overall."

Dose every thing you-can ask, work or play

By on Saturday, October 26, 2013

"Had the truck for about a year, have runs up and down the road empty or pulling a travel trlr."

Great truck

By on Saturday, October 26, 2013

"very reliable truck, truck tows great and I have towed with both the cummins with the allison trans behind it and the powerstroke diesel, the Duramax is by far the best choice in both power and fuel economy."

most reliable truck I have owned

By on Saturday, October 19, 2013

"Truck has matching Jerico cap, matching visor, dual exhaust. Still gets very good gas mileage. Oil changed every 3,000 miles. Only filled with 93 oct or higher."

Got my moneys worth

By on Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pros: "Reliable , basic and easy to fix"

Cons: "dumbest cup holder design ever"

"I bought this truck new. Other that tires and oil changes, the first maintenance I did on this truck was replacing the rear brake pads at 123,000. For about six years I had a regular plow route that paid for the truck in under two. At about 150k all the regular maintenance problems came at once. Starter, Alternator, both power windows, fuel pump, and every single brake line in the truck rotted out. Most of the replacement parts are reasonable in price and easy to install (I can only compare this to my 01 Nissan pathfinder with half the miles, triple the problems, and double the cost to fix them). At 200k now the truck is showing its age. Though the body had no rust or rot at all( its a regular cab, every extended cab I have seen this old has rotted out cab corners). A few complaints about the engineering that should have been common sense, brake lines are run on top of the frame where all the salt and muck from the road cakes up against them. fuel filter is almost impossible to get at, the transmission lines run right under the starter when they could have easily bent them around it, and one of my biggest pet peeves, the absolutely worst design for a cup holder I have ever seen. All in all, the truck has been really good to me. Part of me wants to see if I can get another 200k out of it, and the realistic part of me says its time to get a new one. Two other guys I work with have the same trucks just 5 or 6 years newer, they have the same problems, but they think they are great trucks. The only reason I'm going to buy a Ford next is I made a lot of money with there stock and Chevys are now built by Government motors:). But I would highly recommend this truck if your looking for a used one"

The 6.0 tows awesome

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

"Great tower and very roomy looks great as well. My favorite truck so far"

best vehicle I ever owned!

By on Friday, October 04, 2013

Pros: "Great vehicle and very reliable"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Purchased new to pull 5th wheel camper. I hated the smell and noise of the diesel so I got the 8.1L gas. This truck handles my 37ft trailer very well. It rides a little rough without a load but I love it. The only downside is gas mileage."

Work Horse.

By on Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, tons of towing power"

"I've owned my 2003 Chevy 2500HD for several years now and can't get over what a work horse it is. It pulls my fully loaded 4-horse trailer with ease, climbs through rough terrain and is a comfortable ride on the highway. I have a BLM model so there are no power windows and only a tape player - I love it. What a tough vehicle."

strong 6.0 with 410 gears 4 speed auto

By on Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Pros: "great driving truck with lots of power for towing"

Cons: "13 to 15 mpg"

"i added factory cab marker lights,added slide out mirrows,added wheel to wheel 3x5 tubular step bars,hidaway 5th wheel hitch hunter brush guard 21/2 inch leveling kit 285/75r 16" tires"

This has been a great truck

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Pros: "Big powerful, heavy and safe."

Cons: "Gas milage is 10 in town and 14+ on highway."

"With the 8.1L gas engine and Allison transmission it has plety of power and is smooth and 100% reliable."

SERVICE BODY TRUCK USED IN COMMERCIAL HVAC

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

"RELIABLE GOOD SERVICE TRUCK HAS BEEN WELL TAKEN CARE OF ONE OWNER,HAS BEEN SERVICED EVERY 3500 MILES.READING SERVICE BODY, HAS BUILT IN LIGHT IN EVERY STORAGE BIN COMPARTMENT,HAS A HEAVY DUTY LIFT GATE BY ANTHONY.HAS BUILT IN TOOL BOX STORAGE IN BED OF TRUCK LADDER RACK,ALL STORAGE COMPARTMENT HAVE A CENTRAL LOCKING SYSTEM,IT HAS THE CHROME DOOR PULLS,HAVE TO SEE TRUCK.TRYING TO SELL BECAUSE I WAS RETIRED 5 YEARS AGO BECAUSE OF AND HEART TROUBLE."

One of the best Chevy's I've owned

By on Thursday, September 26, 2013

Pros: "Rides and drives great. Good performance."

Cons: "Fuel mileage."

"I bought this pickup in 2005 with 32,000 miles on it. I have not had one problem with this vehicle. I recently changed the tranny filter and fluid, put new brakes on the rear, and new plugs. It just keeps on running. Still does not use any oil. Tail pipe is as clean as when I bought it."

Best duramax yet

By on Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pros: "Power"

Cons: "Interior space"

"Can't beat the power and reliability. Of this truck"

Great truck!Maximum power and comfort.

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Power and comfort collide!"

Cons: "Fuel economy, oil usage of 1Q/1200 miles"

"This truck will do anything a person can expect from a pickup. Plenty of power to pull anything you can legally scale. 4-wheel drive engages quick with push button. Cabin comfort is unbelievable, with 6-way power/heated buckets and great visibility. Fantastic all around truck. Fuel economy could be better, but that is the trade off for that much power. Gets 12-13 empty, on the highway. Not sure what it gets at interstate speeds."

Best truck I have ever owned!

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "Everything you need to do anything you want!"

Cons: "Basic maintenance is much more expensive."

Towed this 33' horse trailer like it wasn't even there!

"I have always had Chevy's but this was the 1st diesel. The 6.0 Turbo w/ Allison 6 speed transmission never dissapoints me. Engine is very quiet, rides like a dream but has all & more of horsepower, durability & toughness any farm girl could ask for. 1 recomendation: would be a sensor on the turbo. It had some electrical issues from poor wire positioning design the 1st year & then 6 years later the turbo popped. No warning signs or any read out on the OBC (on board computer) just a complete loss of power. Sealed unit is VERY expensive to replace!!! This should be a servicable part just like on any larger diesel, to be more consumer friendly."

Towed this 33' horse trailer like it wasn't even there!

280,000 and still running stong 6.0 gas motor

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "very dependble"

Cons: "13 mpg"

"my truck was a county work truck I got it very used but still a good truck that has had a lot of punishment but keeps going"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals