• 2014 Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Extended Cab Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $30,119 - $31,098.

Based on 383 Ratings for the 2007 - 2014 models.

This is a solid and reliable vehicle.

By on Thursday, October 10, 2013

Pros: "Power and towing capabilities are awesome"

Cons: "Fuel costs"

"I haven't had any trouble with this vehicle since I bought it. The Duramax has been awesome."

GREAT WORK HORSE!

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

"The LBZ has to be one of the greatest Duramax engines. Greatly improved on from the old LB7's. I have owned this truck for nearly 2 years with no issues. Around Town get 15 to 16 MPGs... HWY miles at 55 will get almost 21MPG.. Is Programed with Economy mode + extras."

Awesome truck! True workhorse

By on Thursday, August 01, 2013

"This has been an awesome truck. It pulls or hauls anything I've ever needed it to. Can be a bit rough unloaded, but rides like a Cadillac with any weight in it. Great vehicle. Will keep for a long, long time."

best truck ever

By on Wednesday, July 24, 2013

"I have been more satisfied with this vehicle than any other I have ever owned."

Choppy Ride 2500HD

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "Style, size, power"

Cons: "3/4 ton rides like a truck..."

"Nice power, choppy ride , nice amount of options bought larger tires, stock tires are too small."

This pick up truck is the best we have ever owned.

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

"Chev. 2007/4-wheel,w/manual capabilities is the best. We have leather with all amenities. Ride is great, seat choices, heat,bladder,movable, etc. I am looking at selling b/c my needs have changed.Towing has been a dream with this truck. All miles are highway and milage averages, trip=18+, short trips=15-16. Quite good for a 3/4 ton! We have always been so happy with it and would recommend it."

Great Truck, bad gas mileage

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "tank, Hard to get stuck in mud, comfy, awesome!"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

This is Strobie, my first truck. I love this truck but I hate the mpg!

"I have the 6.0L V8 4x4 Ext Cab with a programmer. Its a great truck, I've been in two wrecks with my truck and it hasn't totaled out yet! The thing is a tank! It hasn't failed me...... Except when it comes to gas mileage. My truck, nikenamed Strobie because it's a first responders truck/personal truck, gets 11 mpg. Its a great 3/4 ton truck but gas will kill you. But the towing power is remarkable! I've hooked up to a lowboy trailer with a 1 ton dually on it and my truck pulled it like it was a smartcar! It's an overall great truck, the only bad thing is the gas mileage."

This is Strobie, my first truck. I love this truck but I hate the mpg!

Best truck I have owned out of 12

By on Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pros: "Hardest working truck in the used truck market now"

Cons: "I wish I could afford a fleet of these"

"You need a highly reliable, hard working truck? This is it. 6.0L Gas - Wow! an engine and drive train that the owner can actually maintain at his home garage. Over 100k on this one and hooks up to my 24ft gooseneck to pull a load of cattle up the hill today!"

Best HD truck on the market

By on Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Pros: "11 cupholders! Fun to drive, can do anything"

Cons: "Should've bought it sooner!"

"I've owned this truck for a year and had absolutely zero issues and love this truck! Diesel mileage is awesome vs gas 6.0 Vortec and I get 17-21 (up to 24 if doing 60-65mph feathering it on the interstate). It will tow/haul anything coming or going. 9,000 lb boxed trailer that was 9' tall in rainy/windy conditions I could not even tell it was behind me. Stabilitrack kept me from jack knifing this trailer in the rain on weird angles. Truck only squated down 0.5" with 9k behind it. Power was on demand anytime I needed it and the jake brake (turbo brake) is awesome on steep inclines and stop and go red light driving while towing. It will out accelerate a new dodge 2500 or ford 2500. DEF is not bad it has a pretty good range and the allison trans is one of the best out there. If I had to do it all over again I would still buy Chevrolet. Quality and convenience of usb ports and electric start and nice luxuries to get if able."

Never seen such poor mpg

By on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pros: "pulls a 10,000 lb 5th wheel great!"

Cons: "Can,t pass a gas station 7 1/2 to 8 mpg"

"21,000 only get 7 to 8 mpg pulling and 11 to 12 empty!! Rattles on bumpy rds. Been driving chevey trucks for 37 years never been so disappointed.Never considered another brand before this truck. DO NOT BUY A 6.0 CHEVY TRUCK."

Very happy with truck.

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "Pleanty of Power; Great Reliability"

Cons: "Little bit stiff of a ride but its a 3/4 ton truck"

"Truck has been very reliable; Duramax motor and Allison trans. has plenty of towing power. I averaged around 16-17 mpg highway miles. Overall, I'm happy with the truck. According to Kelley Blue Book it has really held its value."

Junk, wouldn't buy it again!

By on Friday, April 05, 2013

"Horrible dealer service. Transmission is on frtiz. Dealer keeps saying they can fix the truck, but nothing they do works. I tell them to just give me a transmission or a new truck, but they now tell me my transmission is working just fine."

Pretty decent truck.

By on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pros: "Runs great."

Cons: "Bad mileage."

"I've recently bought a 2011 chevy 2500hd z71 4x4 extended cab gas engine. When I bought this truck it had approximately 68000 miles on it, it now has around 72000 miles on it. This truck gets approximately 15 mpg on the high side empty and 10 mpg pulling my 3 horse slant gooseneck. It pulls great the exhaust braking is useful. I would be very happy with this truck if I could get better mileage while towing. I'm afraid that if it doesn't get better mileage I will go to Dodge."

Amazing Truck with great towing capabilities!!

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Reason: traded it in on a new 2013 model

Pros: "6.6 liter Diesel, Allison transmission, Powerful"

Cons: "DEF fuel, low mpg"

"I bought a 2007 2500 HD Crew Cab Diesel and towed my 33ft fifth wheel camper with ease. I loved it so much i just traded it in for a 2013 2500 HD Crew Cab Diesel last week. Don't get me wrong, it was painful to let "Big Red" go but the resale value was so good that when i went to the dealer for a minor recall notice, they made me an offer i couldn't refuse. I never had a single problem with my 2007 Diesel and if i can offer any advice to someone researching for a new truck, it would be to get the Diesel and the Allison Transmission if you can afford it. I tow my 5th wheel camper like it's not even behind me. The Allison transmission is amazing!! Don't get me wrong, the Duramax Diesel engine is no slouch either. Will i miss, "Big Red", who in herself was still just a baby with just over 40,000 miles on her? Absolutely! The fact that "Big Blue" now sits in my driveway makes it a lot easier to handle though. Time will tell if the 2013 model will hold up as well as my 2007 but i was so impressed with "Big Red" that i have no doubt this new truck will function just as well. One slight negative is this silly DEF fuel you have to add every 7,000 miles to a separate 10 gallon tank."

I would not buy a 2500 HD again

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pros: "pulls just a little better that my 1/2 ton truck"

Cons: "Brakes down , very bad fuel mileage with 373 gears"

"Today the truck was towed as it would not start. Being Sat I can not get it fixed as the dealership closes at 1.00pm on Sat. Fuel mileage is very bad. For new truck and the best getting 15 MPG is very bad and that is driving very carefull. If I hook my bass boat on you are looking at 10 MPG. Overall a very high price for the truck and the tires where junk that came on it."

Reasonable value

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "sporty and fun to drive, for a truck"

Cons: "transmission self destructs after 100k miles"

"I bought this truck new and off the lot it got about 12 mpg city and 17 mpg highway. I added a K&N cold air kit and a performance MAF, and reprogrammed the computer with a Jet reprogrammer for best economy, lowered the transmission shift points as far as they'd go. MPG improved dramatically - 17 city and 25 highway. Its run flawless for the first 100k miles with just minor - recall and warranty issues. Its comfortable and quite sporty for a HD 4x4. GM under rated the HP at 300hp, it clearly has lots more. Interior complaint - only 2 cup holders and the center seat doesn't fold to make a console/arm-rest. But at 108000 miles, the transmission gave out - the torque converter self destructed and sent junk throughout the transmission - ruining it. Replacement cost - $4000. I'd buy another one set up the same way - but trade it in at 100k miles before the transmission gives out."

great truck has been very dependable

By on Sunday, December 09, 2012

Pros: "most depenable truck I've owned"

Cons: "needs a out side temperture gage"

"This is my work truck where during the harvest I pull over 20,000 pounds with it everyday for 2 months. I have the 6.0L engine and I am very pleased with it. I have owned Ford, Dodge, and Chevy diesels and I am not disapointed in what this engine will do. I have pulled trailers up some of the steeps hills on the interstate without needing anymore power. With the cost of buying and maintaing a diesel truck we as a company are using these trucks and they have been great. The company bought two new Dodge Diesel trucks this year and in under a year spent almost $10,000 each in repairs. Our gas Chevy trucks have not been in the shop. The new EPA requirements on the diesels are to much for them. We could not keep a clean fuel filter in them and when they get dirty at 2000 milles or less the fuel range drops to below 10 miles per gallon. However with my gas engine I have over 88,000 miles on it during my first year driving it and no problems. Just change the oil and go. I would of given it all 9's if it came with a out side temperture gage and a softer ride when empty."

Love the Duramax, not much more I love.

By on Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pros: "Suspension, Duramax engine"

Cons: "Too many to list"

"The diesel option is very expensive, but I believe it's worth it for people that really need pulling power. The engine is smooth, extremely strong and significantly more efficient than my other gas trucks that I'd owned in the past. My problem is with the truck it's in. I've had nothing but small quality problems that I think are inexcusable. My right rear door had to be adjusted because it was crooked right from the factory, the tailgate wouldn't latch on the left side of the bed, my brake fluid reservoir constantly leaks onto wires and hoses under the hood, my brake pedal feels crunchy after towing in hot weather, the black plastic parts around the hood hinges are warping and catch the hood every time i open it. Constant brake screeching, inexplicable and intermittent electrical issues that turn equipment on, off or make the equipment unresponsive. All these problems are from the time the truck was new. I also have many, many gripes with the layout of the interior and others parts of this truck. The window and lock controls are easy to bump, the glove boxes aren't very large and shaped in a strange way, the door cup holders are tight squeeze for getting bottles in and out of, steering wheel is a reach for tall drivers, steering feeling is dead, it has no center feel, ground clearance is very poor for such a tall vehicle, seat bolsters are easily wearing, rear seat crew cab isn't as roomy and comfortable as others....I can just go on and on. It's not all bad. I like the solid feel the truck has, the roll and crush of the suspension is very well controlled, brakes are strong. If I think harder, I could probably name a few other positives about the truck, but it would not outweigh the many negatives."

Endless brake and power steering fluid leaks

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Pros: "People like the way it looks."

Cons: "Too many to list."

"My trucks power steering pump has been replaced twice, but my truck still leaks fluid. Dealer can't seem to fix the problem. The second problem has been very serious buildup and dripping around my brake reservoir, all around the master cylinder and fluid lines under the hood. It's started to drip on other important parts. The dealer said that this wasn't a serious issue. Are they for real? How can possibly spilling brake fluid on to wires, hoses, etc. not be a problem? Now my third problem has been growling/scuffing sounds coming from my brakes. The dealer made adjustments to the brakes, but that also has failed to do a thing. Finally... I believe I'm starting have front suspension issues. The right front clunks while turning and accelerating hard. I have not pointed this out to the dealer yet. If I wasn't forced to deal with these issues, I still would not buy this truck again. The engine doesn't feel all that powerful, throttle feels like it has a delay that can cause the truck to lunge under harder acceleration, I'm getting poorer mileage then my last GM truck and the interior design is shameful. The cheap interior has many rattles, the seating position is awkward, the controls are poorly designed, the upper glove box is small, it's hard to fit your hand in and out of the side pockets in the doors and the design of the hood release is a safety issue. Accidentally releasing the hood is way too easy."

Solid Truck

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "great performance and value"

Cons: "plain interior"

"This is a great truck for the money. I admit that the cabin could be more luxuirious for a $45000 asking price, but this is a truck not a luxury car. I was always a Ford guy and finally decided to buy a Silverado. Pretty sure I won't change back. Great driving truck, sufficient power, and good quality. When deciding between my Chevy and getting another Ford, I penalized Ford for putting to much attention to a "great looking" cab and less on the performance of the truck. I would rather have a solid tuff truck than a pretty one. In my opinion, the Chevy is far superior to the Ford in driving impressions. The Chevy has tighter steering, less vibrations, and is more responsive when opening up the throttle. So when I look for a truck I focus more on the "guts" of the truck rather than the dashboard."

Great Work Truck

By on Thursday, May 17, 2012

Pros: "Great for towing and working"

"I have mostly used this truck for snow plowing, hauling wood, and dirt, as well pulling a camper. This truck has been great so far. The interior is a step up over the old style and a big step up over my wife's 06 f-150. Over all I have loved this truck, its done everything I need it too and I have yet to have a problem with it. If your gonna pull anything I would recomend going with the diesel engine. Have had no problems pulling the camper up hills with it. I have owned/own both ford and chevy trucks. I currently like the chevys HD's more cause of the duramax allison combo. Over all a great truck and I would get another."

Best 3/4 ton truck on the market

By on Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Cons: "Too many problems, trips to the service department"

"Too bad it's the best 3/4 ton truck on the market..."

I want to get rid of this truck.

By on Friday, April 06, 2012

"My trucks transmission likes to shudder, clunk and grind. Hard acceleration can cause the transmission to slip, engine to scream away, and the truck to jolt forward. I've been to three dealers to hopefully get these problems resolved, but I've had no luck. They either make failed repairs, or they'll simply tell me that no problem was found. I've tried talking to GM, but they keep giving me the same story. I saved up a lot of money to buy this gas guzzling, overpriced, unreliable monster. It sure does tow nicely, but that's only when the transmission isn't giving me problems. I just wish I'd never bought this thing."

best truck out there

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "strong, diesel , chevy, gas mileae"

Cons: "exhaust fluid"

"stronger, better, just the best overall"

Solid truck but....

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "power, great driving experience."

Cons: "doesnt come with the allison tranny, over priced"

"Love the truck, it rides good, the power is great (definitely chip it, its night and day in performance) the only thing I dont like is that the transmission seems to slip sometimes and ive had something fixed on the tranny (power tran warranty covered it but still). Took it off roading hard in the desert did great but I hate that it doesnt have the differential lock, really effects the trucks ability (planning to get it installed)Solid motor, great power, love how the truck rides, very solid frame, sturdy. I loaded a crate of cynder blocks (4000lbs) the truck carried it with out a problem and with ease!"

See if you qualify for