• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide
  • Kelley Blue Book Best Buys of 2015: Pickup Truck

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $33,047 - $34,142.

Based on 397 Ratings for the 2007 - 2014 models.

Don't buy this vehicle.

By on Thursday, October 06, 2011

Pros: "Styling, comfortable seats, good brakes"

Cons: "Underpowered, handles very bad on rough roads, needs more storage, bad trans"

"The truck has little storage. Interior feels poorly made. 6.0L gas engine is underpowered, it's a joke. Gas mileage is okay on the highway, but is shockingly bad in the city. Handling is the worst of any of the American 3/4 ton trucks. And my truck's transmission has been very problematic."

Solid Truck

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "great performance and value"

Cons: "plain interior"

"This is a great truck for the money. I admit that the cabin could be more luxuirious for a $45000 asking price, but this is a truck not a luxury car. I was always a Ford guy and finally decided to buy a Silverado. Pretty sure I won't change back. Great driving truck, sufficient power, and good quality. When deciding between my Chevy and getting another Ford, I penalized Ford for putting to much attention to a "great looking" cab and less on the performance of the truck. I would rather have a solid tuff truck than a pretty one. In my opinion, the Chevy is far superior to the Ford in driving impressions. The Chevy has tighter steering, less vibrations, and is more responsive when opening up the throttle. So when I look for a truck I focus more on the "guts" of the truck rather than the dashboard."

I'm sick of this truck

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

"Brake problems from day one. Transmission problems and funny noises when shifting from day one. Burning brake smell coming from the truck at 6000 miles that the dealers says is normal. Now I have a check engine light at 7000 miles! I've only owned this truck for 5 months! This truck has been back to the dealer 4 times now with no fixes and has now been in the shop for 5 full days. What is going on? This truck is a LEMON!"

This is one fine truck

By on Sunday, May 18, 2014

Pros: "Even pulling a load, the mileage has been good"

Cons: "cost alot to fill it up"

"No issues to this point, gas mileage has been superb for this type vehicle, the ride is firm but handling is excellent. I live in a hot humid area and the ac handles it quickly and quietly. It's big, tall and can haul a load all with a minimum of noise, this is not your fathers truck. Love it to this point"

Amazing Truck with great towing capabilities!!

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Reason: traded it in on a new 2013 model

Pros: "6.6 liter Diesel, Allison transmission, Powerful"

Cons: "DEF fuel, low mpg"

"I bought a 2007 2500 HD Crew Cab Diesel and towed my 33ft fifth wheel camper with ease. I loved it so much i just traded it in for a 2013 2500 HD Crew Cab Diesel last week. Don't get me wrong, it was painful to let "Big Red" go but the resale value was so good that when i went to the dealer for a minor recall notice, they made me an offer i couldn't refuse. I never had a single problem with my 2007 Diesel and if i can offer any advice to someone researching for a new truck, it would be to get the Diesel and the Allison Transmission if you can afford it. I tow my 5th wheel camper like it's not even behind me. The Allison transmission is amazing!! Don't get me wrong, the Duramax Diesel engine is no slouch either. Will i miss, "Big Red", who in herself was still just a baby with just over 40,000 miles on her? Absolutely! The fact that "Big Blue" now sits in my driveway makes it a lot easier to handle though. Time will tell if the 2013 model will hold up as well as my 2007 but i was so impressed with "Big Red" that i have no doubt this new truck will function just as well. One slight negative is this silly DEF fuel you have to add every 7,000 miles to a separate 10 gallon tank."

2011 2500 HD Crew Cab

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Cons: "Too tall, eats too much gas"

"Good truck, but loves gas and the transmission needs to change gears too much."

Love the Duramax, not much more I love.

By on Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pros: "Suspension, Duramax engine"

Cons: "Too many to list"

"The diesel option is very expensive, but I believe it's worth it for people that really need pulling power. The engine is smooth, extremely strong and significantly more efficient than my other gas trucks that I'd owned in the past. My problem is with the truck it's in. I've had nothing but small quality problems that I think are inexcusable. My right rear door had to be adjusted because it was crooked right from the factory, the tailgate wouldn't latch on the left side of the bed, my brake fluid reservoir constantly leaks onto wires and hoses under the hood, my brake pedal feels crunchy after towing in hot weather, the black plastic parts around the hood hinges are warping and catch the hood every time i open it. Constant brake screeching, inexplicable and intermittent electrical issues that turn equipment on, off or make the equipment unresponsive. All these problems are from the time the truck was new. I also have many, many gripes with the layout of the interior and others parts of this truck. The window and lock controls are easy to bump, the glove boxes aren't very large and shaped in a strange way, the door cup holders are tight squeeze for getting bottles in and out of, steering wheel is a reach for tall drivers, steering feeling is dead, it has no center feel, ground clearance is very poor for such a tall vehicle, seat bolsters are easily wearing, rear seat crew cab isn't as roomy and comfortable as others....I can just go on and on. It's not all bad. I like the solid feel the truck has, the roll and crush of the suspension is very well controlled, brakes are strong. If I think harder, I could probably name a few other positives about the truck, but it would not outweigh the many negatives."

I want my Ford back!!

By on Friday, September 23, 2011

Pros: "It does look good."

Cons: "Underpowered gas engine, unreliable, cheap interior, extremely poor handling."

"Well, it's going back to the dealer for even more problems. The warranty will take care of new transmission next week... But being under warranty is the only good part of all this. The truck spends more time sitting because of defects than it does making money for my company. If it sits, it's no good to me. I need a truck to be reliable. GM, you can have your truck back."

great truck has been very dependable

By on Sunday, December 09, 2012

Pros: "most depenable truck I've owned"

Cons: "needs a out side temperture gage"

"This is my work truck where during the harvest I pull over 20,000 pounds with it everyday for 2 months. I have the 6.0L engine and I am very pleased with it. I have owned Ford, Dodge, and Chevy diesels and I am not disapointed in what this engine will do. I have pulled trailers up some of the steeps hills on the interstate without needing anymore power. With the cost of buying and maintaing a diesel truck we as a company are using these trucks and they have been great. The company bought two new Dodge Diesel trucks this year and in under a year spent almost $10,000 each in repairs. Our gas Chevy trucks have not been in the shop. The new EPA requirements on the diesels are to much for them. We could not keep a clean fuel filter in them and when they get dirty at 2000 milles or less the fuel range drops to below 10 miles per gallon. However with my gas engine I have over 88,000 miles on it during my first year driving it and no problems. Just change the oil and go. I would of given it all 9's if it came with a out side temperture gage and a softer ride when empty."

Solid truck but....

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "power, great driving experience."

Cons: "doesnt come with the allison tranny, over priced"

"Love the truck, it rides good, the power is great (definitely chip it, its night and day in performance) the only thing I dont like is that the transmission seems to slip sometimes and ive had something fixed on the tranny (power tran warranty covered it but still). Took it off roading hard in the desert did great but I hate that it doesnt have the differential lock, really effects the trucks ability (planning to get it installed)Solid motor, great power, love how the truck rides, very solid frame, sturdy. I loaded a crate of cynder blocks (4000lbs) the truck carried it with out a problem and with ease!"

Best truck I have owned out of 12

By on Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pros: "Hardest working truck in the used truck market now"

Cons: "I wish I could afford a fleet of these"

"You need a highly reliable, hard working truck? This is it. 6.0L Gas - Wow! an engine and drive train that the owner can actually maintain at his home garage. Over 100k on this one and hooks up to my 24ft gooseneck to pull a load of cattle up the hill today!"

Very happy with truck.

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "Pleanty of Power; Great Reliability"

Cons: "Little bit stiff of a ride but its a 3/4 ton truck"

"Truck has been very reliable; Duramax motor and Allison trans. has plenty of towing power. I averaged around 16-17 mpg highway miles. Overall, I'm happy with the truck. According to Kelley Blue Book it has really held its value."

Endless brake and power steering fluid leaks

By on Sunday, July 08, 2012

Pros: "People like the way it looks."

Cons: "Too many to list."

"My trucks power steering pump has been replaced twice, but my truck still leaks fluid. Dealer can't seem to fix the problem. The second problem has been very serious buildup and dripping around my brake reservoir, all around the master cylinder and fluid lines under the hood. It's started to drip on other important parts. The dealer said that this wasn't a serious issue. Are they for real? How can possibly spilling brake fluid on to wires, hoses, etc. not be a problem? Now my third problem has been growling/scuffing sounds coming from my brakes. The dealer made adjustments to the brakes, but that also has failed to do a thing. Finally... I believe I'm starting have front suspension issues. The right front clunks while turning and accelerating hard. I have not pointed this out to the dealer yet. If I wasn't forced to deal with these issues, I still would not buy this truck again. The engine doesn't feel all that powerful, throttle feels like it has a delay that can cause the truck to lunge under harder acceleration, I'm getting poorer mileage then my last GM truck and the interior design is shameful. The cheap interior has many rattles, the seating position is awkward, the controls are poorly designed, the upper glove box is small, it's hard to fit your hand in and out of the side pockets in the doors and the design of the hood release is a safety issue. Accidentally releasing the hood is way too easy."

best truck ever will pull anything

By on Sunday, October 20, 2013

Pros: "dependable and strong"

Cons: "little things like lining peeling off door handles"

"great dependable truck with power to spare"

GREAT WORK HORSE!

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

"The LBZ has to be one of the greatest Duramax engines. Greatly improved on from the old LB7's. I have owned this truck for nearly 2 years with no issues. Around Town get 15 to 16 MPGs... HWY miles at 55 will get almost 21MPG.. Is Programed with Economy mode + extras."

best truck out

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "power, style, comfort, convienience, quality"

Cons: "better stereo for LT"

"This truck is well built, handles any snowfall amount, hauls without moaning. Chevy Trucks, bet built most reliable on the planet"

So far so good.

By on Sunday, October 09, 2011

Pros: "Feels tough, great looks, good value."

Cons: "Rides kinda rough, interior is kinda cheap."

"Only thing I'm not like is the interior. Cheap plastics, not much storage, power window and lock controls are easy to bump, and it just looks kind of blah on the inside... But the truck feels solid overall, engine is smooth, extremely quiet and it's easily the best looking truck on the road IMO. Went from a Ford F250 to this because the Ford just let me down with quality and reliability issues. I'm hoping for the best from GM."

Nice but has some problems.

By on Monday, September 26, 2011

Pros: "Looks nice on the outside, pulls very well, feels sturdy, MPG isn't too bad for a truck"

Cons: "Some quality problems, little storage, very jittery ride, hard to load the bed."

"The truck isn't as good as my last chevy. It has driveline and oil leak problems in just a couple of months and 7000 miles. Some parts of the interior are also cheap and don't fit very well. But the truck does feel strong and capable overall."

Great Truck, bad gas mileage

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pros: "tank, Hard to get stuck in mud, comfy, awesome!"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

This is Strobie, my first truck. I love this truck but I hate the mpg!

"I have the 6.0L V8 4x4 Ext Cab with a programmer. Its a great truck, I've been in two wrecks with my truck and it hasn't totaled out yet! The thing is a tank! It hasn't failed me...... Except when it comes to gas mileage. My truck, nikenamed Strobie because it's a first responders truck/personal truck, gets 11 mpg. Its a great 3/4 ton truck but gas will kill you. But the towing power is remarkable! I've hooked up to a lowboy trailer with a 1 ton dually on it and my truck pulled it like it was a smartcar! It's an overall great truck, the only bad thing is the gas mileage."

This is Strobie, my first truck. I love this truck but I hate the mpg!

recomends

By on Friday, February 27, 2009

"After 16,000 miles only one gripe, small "gas" tank. I wished i had known this before purchase. Empty highway mileage is good at 17.5-18.5 mpg. Add a trailer then at 11-12mpg fueling stops are too frequent. Needs 35 gal.tank. I have the short bed ext cab,2500hd. The only remedy for this is buy the LONG bed & long bed ext cab. Otherwise wonderfull truck!"

Best ride, good looks, great value!

By on Saturday, August 23, 2014

Pros: "great ride, good value, strong performer"

Cons: "Some small plastic parts broke, easily replaced."

"This truck has done all I've asked of it and more...Most miles have been highway pulling travel and 5th wheel trailers around the country. I never get beat tired at the end of the day....great ride. Plenty of power...strong performer and still looks great! I change oil and filters more often than necessary but I'm in this vehicle for the long run."

I LOVE my truck!

By on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Pros: "loads of power, makes all the boys look"

Cons: "bed sides too high, seats too deep, no lumbar supp"

"I'm an average sized woman, so the seats are a little uncomfortable for me, especially on cross-country trips. Personally, I liked the old style beds better. Without running boards I can not reach anything lying flat in the bed. That makes for a lot of climbing in and out of the bed using the wheels for a ladder when doing chores on the farm. I also miss having a manual transmission. You loose a lot of control with an automatic, especially pulling a trailer through the mountains."

Love this Truck

By on Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Pros: "Power / Torque"

Cons: "Diesel Exhaust Fluid"

"Love the power but not too happy with fuel ecomony. The only real negative for this truck is the requirement for DEF and needs the built in step in the rear bumper. Perfect Truck with these exceptions."

Rough ride

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

"It rides so rough that I am going to trade it for a 1500."

This is a solid and reliable vehicle.

By on Thursday, October 10, 2013

Pros: "Power and towing capabilities are awesome"

Cons: "Fuel costs"

"I haven't had any trouble with this vehicle since I bought it. The Duramax has been awesome."