2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab

Based on 1290 Ratings for the 2007 - 2013 models.

Great Truck, minor ergonomic issue, V6 weak

By on Friday, October 17, 2008

"I've been driving my 2008 1500 for 10 months now. Base model with the 4.3 V6. I love the truck but have a few gripes. The truck is a no frills work truck with manual windows and you cannot crank the windows up or down with anything in the "convenient" molded door water bottle holder. This seems like the designers really goofed. The 4.3L V6 seems very marginal in this truck with any kind of load or pulling anything at all. I traded in an F150 with the 4.6L V8 and I really did not expect much difference in the power, but there is."

2008 Z71 LT1 4WD

By on Saturday, September 13, 2008

"I love this truck. I think its even better than the Toyota. Gas mileage 19 to 20. I love the 170 degree rear doors, power rear windows, onstar, MP3 jack, remote start, dual climate info center, XM radio, radio controls on steering wheel, auto 4wd (toyota dont have) just to name a few. I have NO regrets so far with this truck. The only thing I dont like about the truck is the material the seats are made of. They hold on to every little piece of lint and hair. They are hard to keep clean. Otherwise the seats are very comfortable. Other than that...no other complaints. I have had the truck for almost a year. So far, Chevy has done a great job with this truck."

Excellent

By on Saturday, June 9, 2007

"I drove Ford pickups for many years. The new Silverado is light years ahead of Ford. I traded off a 2004 F150 with the 300 horse 5.4 for a 2007 Silverado with the 315 horse 5.3. I marvel at how the 5.3 is quieter, smoother, has more power, and is averaging 2 to 2.5 mpg mroe than the Ford!!With the Silverado's quiet ride, I now have no urge to consider a Crown Vic or Camry for a "Sunday car"."

buy a toyota

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "Drives nice"

Cons: "Rusty frame and 8 to 12 mpg."

"Mexican Rust Bucket 8 to 12 mpg MAX! Dealer says rust is normal for a 3 month old truck."

Stop pinching pennies

By on Saturday, November 3, 2012

Pros: "Styling,power train"

Cons: "Lack of conveniences, cheapened out on tires"

"Have a '12 LTZ extcab like the truck but a lot of little features missing for a 46,000 vehicle: coin holder,underhood light, lack of storage,quality tires,(goodyear eagle ls2 are bottom of barrel comparable fords com w/ michellin or pirellies)case for manuals. truck drives looks great but think chevy's flagship p/u shouldn't be cheapened by omitting small conviences. sounds silly but when u live w/ a vehicle day in day out things that r common in much less expensive vehicles are expected in one that lists in the mid 40's"

Transmissions problems, hot temp performance

By on Sunday, July 1, 2012

"My 2011 Silverado has been having issues that the dealer won't fix. The transmission flares and shutters in colder temperatures with 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd gear shifts. If the outside temp starts rising, and if the traffic flow slows down (stop and go), the trans becomes very rough. If you drive it long enough, the trans will begin to surge violently and drive like it was being bumped by the car behind you. Shifts are almost always erratic. The other problem has been the engine's performance in hot temps. If I see outside temps over 95 degrees, the engine starts to clatter and bog down. You could floor the pedal and feel as if the engine had lost half its horsepower. The engines revs, but it can hardly accelerate. Almost every trip to the service department has been for nothing. They keep telling me the same story. "No defects" were found on the truck. I believe that's nonsense. I've already had a second opinion, The mechanic agreed that there were issues. I believe the transmission's surge is actually a very common problem with GM trucks. My neighbor had told me that their company GMC had very similar issues."

My 2010 Silverado

By on Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pros: "Styling"

Cons: "Interior, brake problems"

"Not a bad truck, but it could use a little more low-end torque and a better interior. If you've owned trucks before, you'll know they all love gas...Barely 15 mpg out of this thing in mixed driving. Haven't had any major problem with the truck, but I've had some squealing and brake dragging that keeps returning. Truck's mechanically solid overall."

It's a pickup, not a Cadillac

By on Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Pros: "durable and reliable"

Cons: "blind spots, small backseat"

"Quick Summary: When using this truck for work, it functions like a dream. When on a multi-state road trim it's a little rough. The lower trims don't have many features (of which I added what I wanted) and it rides like a truck. It's a much smoother ride than my last truck, but it's still not a smooth "Cadillac" ride that people seem to be expecting from a truck these days. The back seats of the extended cab are a little too tight for a full-sized adult, and it has a larger than average blind spot. I did some work (below) to up it's low combined fuel economy as well. Overall, this truck does great when used for the purpose it was built for, work. It also makes a good fishing / hunting truck, with it's capable 4WD. Review Details: I bought this truck at it's one year old mark, specifically for a work truck. I run all through Colorado in this truck, hauling parts for utility work including pipe, sand and gravel. I never expected it to be a comfortable ride, I just need a truck with a long life and a strong powertrain. The seats are comfortable, but the ride is stiff unless the truck is loaded down more than 500 lbs in the bed. Smooth as silk after that. I've been through muddy jeep trails in the mountains with it, and it's done fine. I've been up and down the mountains with more than 1000 lbs of material and been fine. It rips stumps from the ground with ease. However, it is rough if you decide to take 4 adults three states away for a fishing trip. The back seats are too small for people with legs, and if you move up (I'm 6'3") then you're both mildly uncomfortable. But if it's just me +1, than it's a good ride for a pickup truck. Upgrades: I've added a spray in bed liner, this is a must for any truck in my opinion. It also has a saddle box (the toolbox most pickups have across the bed) for tool storage. The truck was a little rough on gas when I bought it, so I did a few things for that: I added a cold air intake system, I changed out the exhaust from the muffler back, and I added a "chip" to the truck. These brought my city mileage up from 15 to 17 MPG. It bumped my highway up one when going 75 MPH; but when going 55 MPH, I have seen 26 MPG to be reasonably expected. I even managed a two mile trip of 40 MPG at 45 MPH. I also changed out the stereo system for one with Bluetooth calling and iPod connectivity. The speakers were average, but I replaced them and added a 10" sub under the rear seat at the same time. It's not that the system is bad, it's that I spend way too much time in there. I also have plans for side steps for the truck, as it sits kind of high and shorter people tend to slide on my seat (and this will eventually ruin the cloth cover) as they get in and out. I will also be adding the "camper" side mirrors. The truck has a huge blind spot on either side of the cab. I have the standard mirrors currently, with "bug-eye" mirrors stuck to the corners. I test-drove a truck with the bigger mirrors and find them to be more useful for me. They do block some of your front corner view, however. Service: I follow GM's recommended service schedule and use fully synthetic oils in everything. I do all my own work, because I'm just cheap like that. Oil changes are relatively simple if you have a strap wrench for the filter, as it's partly covered. Transmission services, however, are a different story. You have to actually remove part of the exhaust system to get the transmission filter out. GM "thought" of this and supposedly made the exhaust removal easier; but any mechanic will tell you that getting exhaust bolts off (even ones only 50,000 miles old) is almost impossible to do without breaking one. I've drilled out two bolts so far to replace them. I'm seriously considering paying someone else to do it next time, because it was that big of a pain in the backside. Interesting note, like most GM truck owners, my transmission cooler lines began to leak around 80k miles. I decided to fix this myself. This was also a difficult service that required removing the exhaust for my big hands to reach the little retainer clips. Dealer quoted me $200, I paid $50 for parts and $20 for a tool to get the darn clips out, and it took me 5 evenings. Pros: I love this truck overall. It's a hard working truck, and has happily taken any work I've thrown at it. I treat it like a 3/4 ton and it still looks brand new as far as engine / transmission are concerned. There's no oil leaks and no signs of problems. The body is dinged up pretty good, but no rust has shown on it as of yet. I fully expect this truck to last past the 200,000 mile mark before something becomes un-repairable, and I hope to make 300k. I also love the amount of storage in the cab. They took this away in 2010 I believe, but I have a center console with storage under the arm and the seat underneath that also holds a ton of stuff. There's two glove boxes (that hasn't changed through 2013) and there's an aftermarket part to add more storage under the rear bench as well. As for handling, I can whip around a corner and accelerate pretty well for a truck, I'd say above average. 0-60 mph in 6.5 and Quarter Mile in 15 was my unofficial times. Again, it's a truck. Cons: I'll start of with the blind spots on the truck. They're huge. You could lose a small car (i.e. Eagle Summit) back there if you're not careful. The camper mirrors would be a big help here. I also wish they'd mark that the mirrors are heated, because I didn't figure this out for three years. The back seat is cramped for an adult. It'd fit a child just fine, or a shorter person, but there's no way a 6'3" man will fit back there. The fuel economy left much to be desired in the city, as the AFM never gets a chance to do much good. I also find the Silverado difficult to do repairs on myself, so I'd imagine that garages will charge more hours for work as well. The Silverado rides a little rough for my wife, but I drive tractor-trailers and top-kicks on occasion, so it's nothing to me. For the few that care, the turning radius is wider than my old truck as well, and the internet claims that it's wider than the previous generation of Silverado by a foot if I remember correctly. I have to three-point turn when in any residential street, and there is no such thing as a U-Turn for me unless I have more than three lanes to work with. My specific truck Specs: 2007 Silverado 1500 LT-II Extended Cab (4Dr) 4 Wheel Drive (with "Auto 4WD" and shift on the fly functions) "Mid-size" bed (or the 5 & 3/4 foot bed. The actual size is 78.7 inches) 143.5 inch Wheelbase Suspension front is coil over and rears are leaf springs Disc Brakes on the front, drum rears Standard Power Rack steering K10753 Body 4-L60E Transmission 5.3 V8 Gas OHV Distributorless Naturally Aspirated SFI Electronic FI MFI (Upgrades detailed above) 317 hp @ 5200 RPM (with upgrades) 341 lb-ft @ 4400 RPM (with upgrades)"

Another owner with Trans issues

By on Monday, September 17, 2012

Pros: "Was a good deal at the time with the rebates offer"

Cons: "Bad Transmission and bad tires"

"Similar to what I've read about this truck, I too am having transmission issues the dealer seems to be in denial over. The issue is usually in 2nd or higher gear, with any type of load. Simply driving 25mph up an incline or hill, the truck will shudder. I actually got the dealership to admit they could feel it, but would do nothing about it since there were no error codes and the gauges were reading fine. Other than that, the MPG is less than advertised and the BF Goodrich tires it came with are absolute junk. I like the interior, seats, and easy to use controls."

Love this truck

By on Friday, June 19, 2015

"Excellent ride! Added borla dual exhaust, sounds great. Beautiful Ruby red color. Excellent ride quality, very comfortable on long trips, not one problem so far (almost two years old)"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals