2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab

Based on 1290 Ratings for the 2007 - 2013 models.

Transmissions problems, hot temp performance

By on Sunday, July 1, 2012

"My 2011 Silverado has been having issues that the dealer won't fix. The transmission flares and shutters in colder temperatures with 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd gear shifts. If the outside temp starts rising, and if the traffic flow slows down (stop and go), the trans becomes very rough. If you drive it long enough, the trans will begin to surge violently and drive like it was being bumped by the car behind you. Shifts are almost always erratic. The other problem has been the engine's performance in hot temps. If I see outside temps over 95 degrees, the engine starts to clatter and bog down. You could floor the pedal and feel as if the engine had lost half its horsepower. The engines revs, but it can hardly accelerate. Almost every trip to the service department has been for nothing. They keep telling me the same story. "No defects" were found on the truck. I believe that's nonsense. I've already had a second opinion, The mechanic agreed that there were issues. I believe the transmission's surge is actually a very common problem with GM trucks. My neighbor had told me that their company GMC had very similar issues."

My 2010 Silverado

By on Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pros: "Styling"

Cons: "Interior, brake problems"

"Not a bad truck, but it could use a little more low-end torque and a better interior. If you've owned trucks before, you'll know they all love gas...Barely 15 mpg out of this thing in mixed driving. Haven't had any major problem with the truck, but I've had some squealing and brake dragging that keeps returning. Truck's mechanically solid overall."

It's a pickup, not a Cadillac

By on Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Pros: "durable and reliable"

Cons: "blind spots, small backseat"

"Quick Summary: When using this truck for work, it functions like a dream. When on a multi-state road trim it's a little rough. The lower trims don't have many features (of which I added what I wanted) and it rides like a truck. It's a much smoother ride than my last truck, but it's still not a smooth "Cadillac" ride that people seem to be expecting from a truck these days. The back seats of the extended cab are a little too tight for a full-sized adult, and it has a larger than average blind spot. I did some work (below) to up it's low combined fuel economy as well. Overall, this truck does great when used for the purpose it was built for, work. It also makes a good fishing / hunting truck, with it's capable 4WD. Review Details: I bought this truck at it's one year old mark, specifically for a work truck. I run all through Colorado in this truck, hauling parts for utility work including pipe, sand and gravel. I never expected it to be a comfortable ride, I just need a truck with a long life and a strong powertrain. The seats are comfortable, but the ride is stiff unless the truck is loaded down more than 500 lbs in the bed. Smooth as silk after that. I've been through muddy jeep trails in the mountains with it, and it's done fine. I've been up and down the mountains with more than 1000 lbs of material and been fine. It rips stumps from the ground with ease. However, it is rough if you decide to take 4 adults three states away for a fishing trip. The back seats are too small for people with legs, and if you move up (I'm 6'3") then you're both mildly uncomfortable. But if it's just me +1, than it's a good ride for a pickup truck. Upgrades: I've added a spray in bed liner, this is a must for any truck in my opinion. It also has a saddle box (the toolbox most pickups have across the bed) for tool storage. The truck was a little rough on gas when I bought it, so I did a few things for that: I added a cold air intake system, I changed out the exhaust from the muffler back, and I added a "chip" to the truck. These brought my city mileage up from 15 to 17 MPG. It bumped my highway up one when going 75 MPH; but when going 55 MPH, I have seen 26 MPG to be reasonably expected. I even managed a two mile trip of 40 MPG at 45 MPH. I also changed out the stereo system for one with Bluetooth calling and iPod connectivity. The speakers were average, but I replaced them and added a 10" sub under the rear seat at the same time. It's not that the system is bad, it's that I spend way too much time in there. I also have plans for side steps for the truck, as it sits kind of high and shorter people tend to slide on my seat (and this will eventually ruin the cloth cover) as they get in and out. I will also be adding the "camper" side mirrors. The truck has a huge blind spot on either side of the cab. I have the standard mirrors currently, with "bug-eye" mirrors stuck to the corners. I test-drove a truck with the bigger mirrors and find them to be more useful for me. They do block some of your front corner view, however. Service: I follow GM's recommended service schedule and use fully synthetic oils in everything. I do all my own work, because I'm just cheap like that. Oil changes are relatively simple if you have a strap wrench for the filter, as it's partly covered. Transmission services, however, are a different story. You have to actually remove part of the exhaust system to get the transmission filter out. GM "thought" of this and supposedly made the exhaust removal easier; but any mechanic will tell you that getting exhaust bolts off (even ones only 50,000 miles old) is almost impossible to do without breaking one. I've drilled out two bolts so far to replace them. I'm seriously considering paying someone else to do it next time, because it was that big of a pain in the backside. Interesting note, like most GM truck owners, my transmission cooler lines began to leak around 80k miles. I decided to fix this myself. This was also a difficult service that required removing the exhaust for my big hands to reach the little retainer clips. Dealer quoted me $200, I paid $50 for parts and $20 for a tool to get the darn clips out, and it took me 5 evenings. Pros: I love this truck overall. It's a hard working truck, and has happily taken any work I've thrown at it. I treat it like a 3/4 ton and it still looks brand new as far as engine / transmission are concerned. There's no oil leaks and no signs of problems. The body is dinged up pretty good, but no rust has shown on it as of yet. I fully expect this truck to last past the 200,000 mile mark before something becomes un-repairable, and I hope to make 300k. I also love the amount of storage in the cab. They took this away in 2010 I believe, but I have a center console with storage under the arm and the seat underneath that also holds a ton of stuff. There's two glove boxes (that hasn't changed through 2013) and there's an aftermarket part to add more storage under the rear bench as well. As for handling, I can whip around a corner and accelerate pretty well for a truck, I'd say above average. 0-60 mph in 6.5 and Quarter Mile in 15 was my unofficial times. Again, it's a truck. Cons: I'll start of with the blind spots on the truck. They're huge. You could lose a small car (i.e. Eagle Summit) back there if you're not careful. The camper mirrors would be a big help here. I also wish they'd mark that the mirrors are heated, because I didn't figure this out for three years. The back seat is cramped for an adult. It'd fit a child just fine, or a shorter person, but there's no way a 6'3" man will fit back there. The fuel economy left much to be desired in the city, as the AFM never gets a chance to do much good. I also find the Silverado difficult to do repairs on myself, so I'd imagine that garages will charge more hours for work as well. The Silverado rides a little rough for my wife, but I drive tractor-trailers and top-kicks on occasion, so it's nothing to me. For the few that care, the turning radius is wider than my old truck as well, and the internet claims that it's wider than the previous generation of Silverado by a foot if I remember correctly. I have to three-point turn when in any residential street, and there is no such thing as a U-Turn for me unless I have more than three lanes to work with. My specific truck Specs: 2007 Silverado 1500 LT-II Extended Cab (4Dr) 4 Wheel Drive (with "Auto 4WD" and shift on the fly functions) "Mid-size" bed (or the 5 & 3/4 foot bed. The actual size is 78.7 inches) 143.5 inch Wheelbase Suspension front is coil over and rears are leaf springs Disc Brakes on the front, drum rears Standard Power Rack steering K10753 Body 4-L60E Transmission 5.3 V8 Gas OHV Distributorless Naturally Aspirated SFI Electronic FI MFI (Upgrades detailed above) 317 hp @ 5200 RPM (with upgrades) 341 lb-ft @ 4400 RPM (with upgrades)"

Another owner with Trans issues

By on Monday, September 17, 2012

Pros: "Was a good deal at the time with the rebates offer"

Cons: "Bad Transmission and bad tires"

"Similar to what I've read about this truck, I too am having transmission issues the dealer seems to be in denial over. The issue is usually in 2nd or higher gear, with any type of load. Simply driving 25mph up an incline or hill, the truck will shudder. I actually got the dealership to admit they could feel it, but would do nothing about it since there were no error codes and the gauges were reading fine. Other than that, the MPG is less than advertised and the BF Goodrich tires it came with are absolute junk. I like the interior, seats, and easy to use controls."

Love this truck

By on Friday, June 19, 2015

"Excellent ride! Added borla dual exhaust, sounds great. Beautiful Ruby red color. Excellent ride quality, very comfortable on long trips, not one problem so far (almost two years old)"

Worth Every Penny Paid

By on Saturday, April 5, 2014

Pros: "It operates like a real truck should. Great value"

Cons: "Cain't think of any."

"Yes, I absolutely love my truck and I'm not ashamed to say it. It rides on road & off road very well, the cab is very quiet, and the dashboard gizmos are easy to operate. My average combined fuel mileage is 20.2 mpg with 50/50 driving on the freeways/city driving. That's pretty awesome for a V-8 pushing a 4 door long bed. So far I've only had one serious problem with this truck, that being the engine died one year after purchase. Towed it to the dealer & they had it fixed the same day under warranty. Besides that, the truck is holding up fairly well after 4 years of ownership & 50,000 miles. Some minor issues with trim pieces coming loose or breaking, and some rattling from the exhaust, but everything still works like it should."

Great Truck

By on Friday, September 6, 2013

"Well this truck is awesome! I have had it for five years runs great. Would truly miss it if I sold it."

No repairs so far

By on Friday, August 2, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage for a full sized truck"

Cons: "No locking rear diff"

"One of the lowest cost to own trucks I've had."

I have been pleased with my truck .

By on Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pros: "ample power for everday use ."

Cons: "some options cant be had on base models"

"I have owned several silverado's over the years so reliability isn't a big issue with one . For a everyday truck they are hard to beat . By far the best thing about the Silverado is you can option one as nice as you want for comfort but still have a truck that will work all day also. If you go with the extended cab and have one child the car seat will fit in the middle of the seats in the back and you can still be able to put both front seats all the way back . My daughters safety means everything to me and her seat faces rear now due to her age and we found more than enough room for her and us . Depending on your driving habits expect a realistic 15-17mpg out of one . 20+mpg is possible if you have a light foot . I would recommend the 5.3L engine there is very little fuel economy difference between it and the 4.8L and you will like the 5.3L on hills a whole lot better . All the controls are pretty simple to use and easy to spot . If you buy a 4x4 get the Z71 package it rides somewhat better than the regular package dose . Storage in the cab is nice plenty of places to put stuff and there is a lockable storage under the console in the front . Buy one if you like a balance of decent fuel economy, capable tow ratings and want a well optioned truck without spending too much money on it ."

Great truck, handles well, very rugged.

By on Monday, December 31, 2012

Cons: "It is thirsty."

"This is a strong truck, handles great, and tows well. It is very comfortable and easy to handle, yet it is a truck and can handle anything you throw at it."

Best pickup ever!

By on Monday, December 17, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, powerful truck!"

Cons: "none!!"

"I traded my 2003 z71 silverado in for my new 2010 z71 silverado, what can i say by far the best vehicle i have yet to own. i love my silverado and wouldnt trade it for the world!"

Just traded it!

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

Reason: It was junk

Pros: "Clean design, refined."

Cons: "Cheap interior, oil leaks, engine was scrapped!"

"My 2010 Silverado was nothing but a headache. Earlier this year I had a serious engine knock issue that the dealer first tried to avoid fixing by calling it "normal". I did all my maintenance, the truck was under warranty, I said they were out of their minds! Well, they eventually agreed to give me a new engine. Great! I just traded it for something I hope will give me less grief."

reliable truck

By on Saturday, September 8, 2012

Pros: "strong truck"

Cons: "gas milage"

"i love this truck it isn't the best for commuting but its good for what its meant for with the most payload out of any other 1500 ever on the road. a great fishing,hunting,camping truck."

So far best silverado I have owned

By on Saturday, July 28, 2012

Cons: "Hard to get into"

"The only change I would like to make is to lower the truck to be the same height off the groud, as my 2003 Silverado."

Something is wrong with GM's steering design

By on Sunday, July 15, 2012

"I get very strange grumbling, buzzing and clunking sounds from the steering. The steering power also can change at different times. My Chevy has had 3 steering pumps replaced in less than 40k miles. All the work has been down under warranty, but this has been very frustrating."

Do I need a Carfax for a brand new truck?

By on Tuesday, April 24, 2012

"Bought a brand new Chevy with a crooked steering wheel, a pull to the left at speed, a rear door that was hard to close and a tailgate that would only latch on one side of the bed. It sounds like this truck was involved in an accident, went in for a bad repair job, and was sold at some shady used car dealership...but it wasn't! This truck had 11 miles on the odometer. These problems weren't too obvious at first, but I just can't believe that I, GM, or the dealership didn't notice any of them before I'd bought this thing. Well, now the problems are sort of fixed, and I don't have any more complaints, but I think I'll be more careful with my next purchase."

Best investment ever made!

By on Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pros: "Comfy, reasonable price tag, blast to drive, safe!"

Cons: "Excessively bouncy for some, windows fog in cold."

"I bought my truck new in August 2011, and got an amazing deal on it. After owning several sports cars(300zx TT, Neon SRT4) I found this truck to not only be a lot more comfortable, it also handles excellent. Since I was fresh out of highschool when I got it, I went with a regular cab LS model with the upgraded 4.8l engine. The gas mileage is not exactly correct as advertised(says 14-19, I get around 17 average) but is close enough. You get the power, durability and aggressive tone of an 8 cylinder engine, without the awful gas mileage. The only real drawbacks that I can think of for my truck is the limited space, which I would recommend the Extended cab if you either haul kids/pets/items and don't need a HUGE truck. Another thing is in the cold weather, the windows fog up, and after using the defroster to clear it, it will come back before long. The last thing isn't a big deal to me, but might be to some. It is a truck, not a Mercedes, so when you go down a bumpy road, you WILL feel them lol. If you're looking for a truck for a child, or yourself, I definitely would say, pick this one!"

Fantastic value for the money

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "price, comfort, performance and great resale value"

Cons: "Can't think of any."

"What else can you buy with such comfort and amenities for the price? Chevrolet usually has rebates on the Silverado 1500, anywhere from $2500 to $6000 or more. I have owned mine for almost 3 years and 24,000 miles, and have only had 2 minor problems - a malfunctioning remote and the power seat track was a little rough. Other than that, it delivers about 21mpg on freeway at 65mph, and 16 around town with the 5.3/6-speed/3.73 rear with amazing comfort. This is my 5th Silverado since 1994, and will definitely not be my last."

Great vehicle at Reasonable Cost

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "Power and handling."

"Great power and towing capability. 5.3 gets 20 mpg at 65-70mph. Comfortable power seats, and no problems since delivery. Good return on a well-kept vehicle when ready to sell. Got all the bells and whistles (except sunroof) at a very fair price. Couldn't be happier with my choice of truck."

Not disappointed in any respect

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pros: "Best looking, handling, driving full size pickup"

Cons: "To find a con would be nit picking"

"This Chevy may be a 2007 design but it still holds up to the competition in 2011. I am more impressed with this truck every day I drive it. I drove the Ford, Dodge, and Toyota and am convinced the Chevy/GMC ride and handle the best. Mileage is as good if not better than the competition. To me the Chevy/GMC are the best looking of all full size trucks. The design has aged well and doesn't look dated. I shopped all the full size trucks except the Titan and am extremely satisfied with choosing the Chevy. I highly recommend this truck."

Great Ride

By on Friday, September 16, 2011

I want this car

Pros: "Great ride, very smooth ride, power to pull 10k trailer with no problems."

Cons: "Turning radis is a bit too wide, Needs more and larger cupholders"

"Very smooth and stable ride on all roads. Knockout appearance from any angle. More power than you need anywhere. Fuel milage is super no matter how you drive. Comfort is far ablove others, leg room front and back was more than adequate."

Best truck I have owned !

By on Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"Overall compared to the Dodge and Ford trucks that I have owned, this is the best truck i spent my money on. Great on comfort,reliability, performance and style."

Finally, a truck I have fallen in love with

By on Friday, October 1, 2010

"I have been through quite a few trucks over the last ten years or so, and this is by far, the best truck that I have driven.I own the LT with the Z71 off road suspension. The ride for an offroad suspension is awesome. The six speed 5.3 flex fuel package provides fluid shifting with better than average fuel efficiency. The inside of the cab is roomy and extremely comfortable, and the console and lay out of the interior, is perfect. The exterior is quite stylish. I can not say enough about this truck. This truck suits me extremely well. The only draw back is the price of this truck with the options I preffered. You could save a couple of bucks going with another manufacturer, but you wouldn't get the same feel as you would with the Silverado LT z71 6 speed flexfuel 4 door truck."

Awesome

By on Sunday, August 15, 2010

"My wife, loves the truck and my girlfriend loves the large backseat that it has!!!!"

One of the best Chev Trucks

By on Thursday, December 17, 2009

"I was skeptical at first, you know, first year for a new body style always has glitches, but Chevy knocked this one out of the park! I drove it off the lot with 23 miles on the odometer and 2 and a half years and 37,000 miles later, after pulling a 6,000 lb concessions trailer, snow plowing in the winter and generally "working" this truck, it has YET to let me down in any way! I added a cold air kit and dual exhaust after purchase, upgraded to "Royal Purple" motor oil and average in normal driving, about 24 mpg! Not only that, I have yet to have anything go wrong with it... not even a light bulb has failed. Brakes and factory tires STILL have plenty of wear left. I do take care of my vehicles, but I also "DRIVE" them too, I'm not a "casual" driver by any means, but this truck has been absolutely amazing so far. If you've never driven a Chevy truck, this is the one you NEED to try, I've had several friends who were die-hard ford nuts, switch over to this one, not only because they perform great, but the fuel mileage alone made it worth their while.... Go ahead... GET ONE, you'll see!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals