• Pickup Truck Buyer's Guide

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab

Based on 2928 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

very good truck

By on Friday, August 10, 2007

"i have had my 2000 silverado Z71 for almost 3 years. i have put a little over 60,000 miles on it(108,000 total), and the only problem i have run into is the furl system. i have had to replace the fuel pump 3 times, and the fuel pump regulator. other then that, i have made regular maintenance to it and it has performed to the max. with a true dual ehaust, and a k and n intake system i get roughly 19mpg, which is not bad for a 5.3 litre with 4x4. this single cab truck has a quite roomy cab, with a very nice ride. driving for long hours is very comfortable. this is a very very good truck."

AWESOME TRUCK

By on Friday, August 10, 2007

"This truck is awesome. Everything a person could want and then some. I have owned mine since 2003 and have had ZERO complaints. I would highly recomend this truck to anyone. It works like a truck and drives like a car. I tow a small boat and cant tell I am till I look in the mirror. Plenty of power to goof around with and really decent mileage as well. Sticker said 17 but it is closer to 21 for me. Maybe better if I drove slower."

very please but, some exceptions

By on Friday, August 10, 2007

"This is my 2nd Chevy truck [1st 1991 WT 1500 4x4 - lasted for 163k miles on the original clutch! My Black Lab "Willie" and I LUV'd that WT! Used it for hunting all over NYS. Donated it to the Kidney Foundation this summer (2007)]. Because of that '91 WT I purchased my present Chevy Truck. I've owned my 1500 4.8L Z71 4x4 auto since new 8/03 and am quite happy with it overall. Styling is GREAT! Performance is GREAT, too! I love this truck. But, since the 2nd year I find (unresolved) intermittent complete failure of the dashboard instruments. The truck still runds but, ALL instruments go out - black, blank, no readouts. Not even shutting her down and restarting resolves it. After a few days the failure goes away, all instruments and lights return to functioning. It happens regardless of weather - hot, cold/frigid, wet, dry, snow, sun, day or night. In decent weather I "fix" the problem by hitching a ride on my Suzuki 2-wheeler. The brakes, too, seem to wear quickly - calipers/rotors/pads. Dealer has during warranty made the replacements (or said they did) but, the fast wearout persists. No, I do not tow anything nor do I "ride" the brakes, and I anticipate stops allowing for as much coasting as possible for decelleration. Cosmetically, both front and rear chromed bumpers rusted very fast - by Jan/Feb of '04 (purchased new 8/03). The dealer, after some pressure by me, warranty replaced the rear bumper but, simply refused replacement on the front. Now, the front bumper streaks of rust. Seems much too little chrome protection was applied to the edges of the metal. Those cosmetic matters are just that, cosmetic and I can deal with those - chrome polish and elbow grease applied routinely. But, the guage failure surely (certanly!) bothers me, as does the brakes issue. Still, my '03 Chevy 1500 is simply the BEST vehicle I have owned. Yet, I AM listening to other consumers when they talk about Toyota, Nissan, Ford, and Dodge. GM has to EARN my future purchase. As for Chevy dealer issues, I've learned to trust but verify. My purchase dealer drained the oil from the '03 though I had not turned it in for an oil change, and did not re-fill the oil. I caught the mistake when the dealer returned the truck to me in the evening and I started it. The "check oil" light came on and I thought it said "change oil" so I had the service Mgr show me how to re-set the on-board computer message. When that wouldn't reset, the service TECH told me I had to drive the vehicle a "few miles" for the message to actually reset. When I recognized WHAT message was being displayed I checked the dip stick (no, not the service TECH or Mgr rather, the oil dip stick, and it had NO oil seeping off it - it was DRY! Hmm. Service TECH? The tech then proceeded to significantly OVER fill the oil pan! After waiting a rew minutes to re-check the dip stick (again, the oil dip stick) it registered WAY over filled. The "tech" then removed the oil drain plug for let off some oil. A re-check of the fill level proved good so, I got the heck outta there. Secondly with the Chevy dealer, when I first took the '03 in for the rusting front and back bumpers the body shop assured me they had taken care of the problem. Turns out the shop staff simply polished the bumper. The rust was back within a week! So, when I had convinced the dealer the back bumper certainly needed warranty replacement for early rust issues, based on my experience with the selling dealer, I inconspicuously marked the "old" bumper for check after "replacement" to be sure the old one was not left on rather than a true replacement. Yea, they did replace the bumper. But, my experiences with the dealer left me with the attitude for each time to trust but, verify. Last, this '03 is still a satisfying vehicle to own."

By on Thursday, August 09, 2007

"Bought this truck New & have loved it from day 1"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab near Honolulu. See local deals