2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab

Based on 1292 Ratings for the 2007 - 2013 models.

It's a pickup, not a Cadillac

By on Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Pros: "durable and reliable"

Cons: "blind spots, small backseat"

"Quick Summary: When using this truck for work, it functions like a dream. When on a multi-state road trim it's a little rough. The lower trims don't have many features (of which I added what I wanted) and it rides like a truck. It's a much smoother ride than my last truck, but it's still not a smooth "Cadillac" ride that people seem to be expecting from a truck these days. The back seats of the extended cab are a little too tight for a full-sized adult, and it has a larger than average blind spot. I did some work (below) to up it's low combined fuel economy as well. Overall, this truck does great when used for the purpose it was built for, work. It also makes a good fishing / hunting truck, with it's capable 4WD. Review Details: I bought this truck at it's one year old mark, specifically for a work truck. I run all through Colorado in this truck, hauling parts for utility work including pipe, sand and gravel. I never expected it to be a comfortable ride, I just need a truck with a long life and a strong powertrain. The seats are comfortable, but the ride is stiff unless the truck is loaded down more than 500 lbs in the bed. Smooth as silk after that. I've been through muddy jeep trails in the mountains with it, and it's done fine. I've been up and down the mountains with more than 1000 lbs of material and been fine. It rips stumps from the ground with ease. However, it is rough if you decide to take 4 adults three states away for a fishing trip. The back seats are too small for people with legs, and if you move up (I'm 6'3") then you're both mildly uncomfortable. But if it's just me +1, than it's a good ride for a pickup truck. Upgrades: I've added a spray in bed liner, this is a must for any truck in my opinion. It also has a saddle box (the toolbox most pickups have across the bed) for tool storage. The truck was a little rough on gas when I bought it, so I did a few things for that: I added a cold air intake system, I changed out the exhaust from the muffler back, and I added a "chip" to the truck. These brought my city mileage up from 15 to 17 MPG. It bumped my highway up one when going 75 MPH; but when going 55 MPH, I have seen 26 MPG to be reasonably expected. I even managed a two mile trip of 40 MPG at 45 MPH. I also changed out the stereo system for one with Bluetooth calling and iPod connectivity. The speakers were average, but I replaced them and added a 10" sub under the rear seat at the same time. It's not that the system is bad, it's that I spend way too much time in there. I also have plans for side steps for the truck, as it sits kind of high and shorter people tend to slide on my seat (and this will eventually ruin the cloth cover) as they get in and out. I will also be adding the "camper" side mirrors. The truck has a huge blind spot on either side of the cab. I have the standard mirrors currently, with "bug-eye" mirrors stuck to the corners. I test-drove a truck with the bigger mirrors and find them to be more useful for me. They do block some of your front corner view, however. Service: I follow GM's recommended service schedule and use fully synthetic oils in everything. I do all my own work, because I'm just cheap like that. Oil changes are relatively simple if you have a strap wrench for the filter, as it's partly covered. Transmission services, however, are a different story. You have to actually remove part of the exhaust system to get the transmission filter out. GM "thought" of this and supposedly made the exhaust removal easier; but any mechanic will tell you that getting exhaust bolts off (even ones only 50,000 miles old) is almost impossible to do without breaking one. I've drilled out two bolts so far to replace them. I'm seriously considering paying someone else to do it next time, because it was that big of a pain in the backside. Interesting note, like most GM truck owners, my transmission cooler lines began to leak around 80k miles. I decided to fix this myself. This was also a difficult service that required removing the exhaust for my big hands to reach the little retainer clips. Dealer quoted me $200, I paid $50 for parts and $20 for a tool to get the darn clips out, and it took me 5 evenings. Pros: I love this truck overall. It's a hard working truck, and has happily taken any work I've thrown at it. I treat it like a 3/4 ton and it still looks brand new as far as engine / transmission are concerned. There's no oil leaks and no signs of problems. The body is dinged up pretty good, but no rust has shown on it as of yet. I fully expect this truck to last past the 200,000 mile mark before something becomes un-repairable, and I hope to make 300k. I also love the amount of storage in the cab. They took this away in 2010 I believe, but I have a center console with storage under the arm and the seat underneath that also holds a ton of stuff. There's two glove boxes (that hasn't changed through 2013) and there's an aftermarket part to add more storage under the rear bench as well. As for handling, I can whip around a corner and accelerate pretty well for a truck, I'd say above average. 0-60 mph in 6.5 and Quarter Mile in 15 was my unofficial times. Again, it's a truck. Cons: I'll start of with the blind spots on the truck. They're huge. You could lose a small car (i.e. Eagle Summit) back there if you're not careful. The camper mirrors would be a big help here. I also wish they'd mark that the mirrors are heated, because I didn't figure this out for three years. The back seat is cramped for an adult. It'd fit a child just fine, or a shorter person, but there's no way a 6'3" man will fit back there. The fuel economy left much to be desired in the city, as the AFM never gets a chance to do much good. I also find the Silverado difficult to do repairs on myself, so I'd imagine that garages will charge more hours for work as well. The Silverado rides a little rough for my wife, but I drive tractor-trailers and top-kicks on occasion, so it's nothing to me. For the few that care, the turning radius is wider than my old truck as well, and the internet claims that it's wider than the previous generation of Silverado by a foot if I remember correctly. I have to three-point turn when in any residential street, and there is no such thing as a U-Turn for me unless I have more than three lanes to work with. My specific truck Specs: 2007 Silverado 1500 LT-II Extended Cab (4Dr) 4 Wheel Drive (with "Auto 4WD" and shift on the fly functions) "Mid-size" bed (or the 5 & 3/4 foot bed. The actual size is 78.7 inches) 143.5 inch Wheelbase Suspension front is coil over and rears are leaf springs Disc Brakes on the front, drum rears Standard Power Rack steering K10753 Body 4-L60E Transmission 5.3 V8 Gas OHV Distributorless Naturally Aspirated SFI Electronic FI MFI (Upgrades detailed above) 317 hp @ 5200 RPM (with upgrades) 341 lb-ft @ 4400 RPM (with upgrades)"

Great Ride

By on Friday, September 16, 2011

I want this car

Pros: "Great ride, very smooth ride, power to pull 10k trailer with no problems."

Cons: "Turning radis is a bit too wide, Needs more and larger cupholders"

"Very smooth and stable ride on all roads. Knockout appearance from any angle. More power than you need anywhere. Fuel milage is super no matter how you drive. Comfort is far ablove others, leg room front and back was more than adequate."

Best truck I have owned !

By on Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"Overall compared to the Dodge and Ford trucks that I have owned, this is the best truck i spent my money on. Great on comfort,reliability, performance and style."

Finally, a truck I have fallen in love with

By on Friday, October 1, 2010

"I have been through quite a few trucks over the last ten years or so, and this is by far, the best truck that I have driven.I own the LT with the Z71 off road suspension. The ride for an offroad suspension is awesome. The six speed 5.3 flex fuel package provides fluid shifting with better than average fuel efficiency. The inside of the cab is roomy and extremely comfortable, and the console and lay out of the interior, is perfect. The exterior is quite stylish. I can not say enough about this truck. This truck suits me extremely well. The only draw back is the price of this truck with the options I preffered. You could save a couple of bucks going with another manufacturer, but you wouldn't get the same feel as you would with the Silverado LT z71 6 speed flexfuel 4 door truck."

Awesome

By on Sunday, August 15, 2010

"My wife, loves the truck and my girlfriend loves the large backseat that it has!!!!"

One of the best Chev Trucks

By on Thursday, December 17, 2009

"I was skeptical at first, you know, first year for a new body style always has glitches, but Chevy knocked this one out of the park! I drove it off the lot with 23 miles on the odometer and 2 and a half years and 37,000 miles later, after pulling a 6,000 lb concessions trailer, snow plowing in the winter and generally "working" this truck, it has YET to let me down in any way! I added a cold air kit and dual exhaust after purchase, upgraded to "Royal Purple" motor oil and average in normal driving, about 24 mpg! Not only that, I have yet to have anything go wrong with it... not even a light bulb has failed. Brakes and factory tires STILL have plenty of wear left. I do take care of my vehicles, but I also "DRIVE" them too, I'm not a "casual" driver by any means, but this truck has been absolutely amazing so far. If you've never driven a Chevy truck, this is the one you NEED to try, I've had several friends who were die-hard ford nuts, switch over to this one, not only because they perform great, but the fuel mileage alone made it worth their while.... Go ahead... GET ONE, you'll see!"

Awesome!

By on Tuesday, September 15, 2009

"My fiance wanted this truck super badly. We bought an 08 Silverado 1500 2WD, 6cyl. It is a great truck! Not very comfortable for a longer trip but it looks great, drives great and is worth $3000 more than we paid for it a year later!"

By on Thursday, April 2, 2009

"I have owned this truck for about two years now and it is the best buy i have ever made. The 4.8L great power for the size and pulled about 7000 lbs. from austin to amarillo, and about 8000lbs from Kansas city to Oklahoma city(and this truck is only rated for 6950lbs.) I would recommend getting the larger 5.3L or 6.0L and even 4x4. This truck has been beaten up, dragged down, and road ruff, and it still has a great smooth ride and no mechanical problems. I use this rig as my daily driver and it has run on everything from smooth highway to rocky and ruff fields, and it still has a better resale value then ford, nissan, and dodge(don't let any dealer tell you diffrent). The only gripe on this truck is that they need to put on better tires and shocks from the factory, I have 27000 mile onl mine nd they are toast. Also this vehicle has tons for get up and go but gets a little unstabel at about 95mph(don't ask how I know) and just to let you know the worst gas milage I ever got was 7mpg pulling about 8500lbs, and the best was 25mpg highway(but that was with a 70mph tailwind) the average is 14 city and about 22 higway(no compaints here though). I would definently recommend this truck to anyone and as for the bad reviews on this truck, everyone makes a lemon(even toyota)."

Tough butt Looks Good

By on Thursday, January 15, 2009

"This is my 5th GM product Truck I have owned Sierra's and Silverado's. The new Silverado is proably the nicest looking one I have ever seen, butt mabey not the most poweful. The Active Fuel Management is a nice feature it does save some fuel with the cuise control on, butt it getts a little anoying when towing my boat. The most comfortable seats yet. Comfort controls are great do not have to fight with wife on A/C settings. This is the most I have ever spent on a new Truck and this is by far this was the better deal out of the competion. This time I didn't gust go the Chevy dealer. I rode in evry full size crew cab out their. Toyota, Power with no comfort and rough ride and A steep price. Dodge nice comfort and that is not a Hemi, no power, butt the price is good for the truck. Ford love the New style with comfort, good towing power as allways, butt still gass mileage not verry good, and still the highest priced for american made. Nissan, lots of take off, the only thing that truck whont pass is the gass station, and verry uncomrtable for A highway trip. So if your looking for an all around good truck, with A good price, good gass mileage, and good towing and hauling power. This is your truck. My advice to you is to work with the sales manager on the price their is allways plenty of wiggle room on Trucks, especialy these days."

good for the money

By on Friday, December 19, 2008

"i have the 4.8 crew cab and i do regret not beefing it up to the 5.3. granted i do think that the power is sufficient, however pulling an empty trailer for 4,000 seemed as though i was pulling a freight train most of the time-it just would not stop shifting. but my bro who has the 5.3 complains about the truck not wanting to downshift- so i don't know. don't put a bug shield on, it makes it sound like you are in a windtunnel and all the air makes a crackle on the top edge of the windshield. Otherwise, love the truck-got rear-ended last week at 50 mph and really didn't do much of anything to it- put a dent in it. good truck-worth the money and do think it will hold up nicely"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab near Honolulu. See local deals