2012 Chevrolet Malibu

Based on 585 Ratings for the 2008 - 2012 models.

Great car!

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "Quiet, comfortable, good on gas, split rear seat"

Cons: "Not enough power, hard to get into"

"I have the 2010 LT mocha/cashmere. Bought it as a program car in Jan 2011 with 16,000 miles. Now I have 32,000 on it. A very comfortable and amazingly quiet ride, like a larger luxury car. Never had any mechanical trouble. Just rotate the tires and have the oil changed. Getting 33 mpg on straight highway driving, but when I drive all intown miles I get about 24 mpg. Looks beautiful like a more expensive car. I couldn't give it a 5 for 2 reasons. Before I owned this car I had a 2006 Impala with a 6 cylinder engine and this Malibu with the 4 cylinder just doesn't quite measure up. There is a slight hesitation when you hit the gas to pass someone on a 2-lane road, but after that it has good pick-up. The other thing that I find a bit annoying is getting in and out of the vehicle. I am not a large person, but I am 59, and getting into the Impala was definitely easier. You have to lift your feet up above the door frame opening while you bend over to get in. Other than that it is a great mid-sized car. Oh, and one more really nice plus is the split rear seat that opens to the trunk. That is really handy when hauling stuff that is too long. Overall, it's a nice car, but I wouldn't buy it again. I am not in love with it. Should have kept my Impala but it had 67,000 miles and I like to trade before a car loses all its value. Hope this helps someone. I never review stuff!"

Going to miss it.

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable and safe."

Cons: "A little light in the front. The wheels spin out."

"My Malibu was rearended by a trackor trailer. It is a total loss. I walked away with only only a few bruses. People can't beleive it. I am buying another."

Great car

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

"This is a very good car for the money. It handles will in bad weather. It is a solid feeling car with a good ride."

Good car but has its issues

By on Friday, June 3, 2016

Pros: "Exterior styling, nice sound system, quiet ride"

Cons: "Engine problems at 50k miles, plastic interior"

"I bought my 2011 Malibu LS new and I've had it for almost 5 years now. It's a good ride and I get compliments on it from friends and family about how nice it looks and how great the ride is. I drive around town mostly but every month or so I drive up to Chicago to visit family and friends. I get about 28 mpg on the highway and 19 mpg in town. Both numbers are lower than the EPA estimates but still pretty good. I have driven this car on a couple long road trips with no issue. The interior is a little too plastic but well designed. At around 40k miles my car started to shake when I drove between 40-60 mph. I had no idea what could be the case but I read that many people with Malibus were having similar problems. I got new tires since my factory installed Firestone ones were going bad (they sucked to begin with). The tires have fixed my issue with the shaking. Then at 48k miles my check engine light came on. I thought this was due to my gas cap not being on tight (happened to me couple other times) so I made sure the cap was on tight. After a week the light didn't go away. I decided to drive to Chicago (about 250 miles from where I live) to visit my parents. My dad ran a diagnostic and the problems popping up just couldn't make sense. The codes stated that I could have a major issue but my dad is a mechanic and he said that at under 50K miles these issues are almost impossible AND I just drove 250 miles to see him. So I came back home (drove another 250 miles) and my dad told me to get the car looked at just in case... I took my car to a mechanic in my town and he told me the guides to my timing chain had broke and my timing chain had about 2 inches just GONE. The broken pieces had got into my solenoids and sensor so those were now broken too. The mechanic couldn't believe I was still able to drive the car. I then had the mechanic put my engine back together and I took the car to a Chevy dealer to see if my Powertrain Warranty would cover this. Luckily my problems were under warranty and I got about $2500 worth of problems fixed at no cost to me. Overall the car has been good to me and even when it should not have been able to drive it STILL drove me wherever I needed to go. I take good care of it and get the oil changed and my tires balanced and rotated regularly. My goal is to keep this car for another 10 years or until I reach 200K miles, whichever comes first."

Nice looking car

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pros: "Looks, Price, and Looks again"

Cons: "Size is not great for a tall person"

"I bought my wife a brand new 2009 Malibu. I must admit it's one of the best looking cars around. The car looks like a Benz or BMW. Overall I like this car, its dependable and runs very well. It's good on gas. The only bad thing is I'm 6'3'' tall weigh 205 and the steering wheel doesn't adjust upward enough for me to slide my knees under it. With the seats pushed all the way back and reclined all the way back I can still drive the car with my knees. Other then that I really have enjoyed this car. Also the engine strains when you drive over 60 mph other then that I would recommend this car to anyone who ask."