2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Based on 585 Ratings for the 2008 - 2012 models.

Great car!

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "Quiet, comfortable, good on gas, split rear seat"

Cons: "Not enough power, hard to get into"

"I have the 2010 LT mocha/cashmere. Bought it as a program car in Jan 2011 with 16,000 miles. Now I have 32,000 on it. A very comfortable and amazingly quiet ride, like a larger luxury car. Never had any mechanical trouble. Just rotate the tires and have the oil changed. Getting 33 mpg on straight highway driving, but when I drive all intown miles I get about 24 mpg. Looks beautiful like a more expensive car. I couldn't give it a 5 for 2 reasons. Before I owned this car I had a 2006 Impala with a 6 cylinder engine and this Malibu with the 4 cylinder just doesn't quite measure up. There is a slight hesitation when you hit the gas to pass someone on a 2-lane road, but after that it has good pick-up. The other thing that I find a bit annoying is getting in and out of the vehicle. I am not a large person, but I am 59, and getting into the Impala was definitely easier. You have to lift your feet up above the door frame opening while you bend over to get in. Other than that it is a great mid-sized car. Oh, and one more really nice plus is the split rear seat that opens to the trunk. That is really handy when hauling stuff that is too long. Overall, it's a nice car, but I wouldn't buy it again. I am not in love with it. Should have kept my Impala but it had 67,000 miles and I like to trade before a car loses all its value. Hope this helps someone. I never review stuff!"

Going to miss it.

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable and safe."

Cons: "A little light in the front. The wheels spin out."

"My Malibu was rearended by a trackor trailer. It is a total loss. I walked away with only only a few bruses. People can't beleive it. I am buying another."

Great car

By on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

"This is a very good car for the money. It handles will in bad weather. It is a solid feeling car with a good ride."

Good car but has its issues

By on Friday, June 3, 2016

Pros: "Exterior styling, nice sound system, quiet ride"

Cons: "Engine problems at 50k miles, plastic interior"

"I bought my 2011 Malibu LS new and I've had it for almost 5 years now. It's a good ride and I get compliments on it from friends and family about how nice it looks and how great the ride is. I drive around town mostly but every month or so I drive up to Chicago to visit family and friends. I get about 28 mpg on the highway and 19 mpg in town. Both numbers are lower than the EPA estimates but still pretty good. I have driven this car on a couple long road trips with no issue. The interior is a little too plastic but well designed. At around 40k miles my car started to shake when I drove between 40-60 mph. I had no idea what could be the case but I read that many people with Malibus were having similar problems. I got new tires since my factory installed Firestone ones were going bad (they sucked to begin with). The tires have fixed my issue with the shaking. Then at 48k miles my check engine light came on. I thought this was due to my gas cap not being on tight (happened to me couple other times) so I made sure the cap was on tight. After a week the light didn't go away. I decided to drive to Chicago (about 250 miles from where I live) to visit my parents. My dad ran a diagnostic and the problems popping up just couldn't make sense. The codes stated that I could have a major issue but my dad is a mechanic and he said that at under 50K miles these issues are almost impossible AND I just drove 250 miles to see him. So I came back home (drove another 250 miles) and my dad told me to get the car looked at just in case... I took my car to a mechanic in my town and he told me the guides to my timing chain had broke and my timing chain had about 2 inches just GONE. The broken pieces had got into my solenoids and sensor so those were now broken too. The mechanic couldn't believe I was still able to drive the car. I then had the mechanic put my engine back together and I took the car to a Chevy dealer to see if my Powertrain Warranty would cover this. Luckily my problems were under warranty and I got about $2500 worth of problems fixed at no cost to me. Overall the car has been good to me and even when it should not have been able to drive it STILL drove me wherever I needed to go. I take good care of it and get the oil changed and my tires balanced and rotated regularly. My goal is to keep this car for another 10 years or until I reach 200K miles, whichever comes first."

Nice looking car

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pros: "Looks, Price, and Looks again"

Cons: "Size is not great for a tall person"

"I bought my wife a brand new 2009 Malibu. I must admit it's one of the best looking cars around. The car looks like a Benz or BMW. Overall I like this car, its dependable and runs very well. It's good on gas. The only bad thing is I'm 6'3'' tall weigh 205 and the steering wheel doesn't adjust upward enough for me to slide my knees under it. With the seats pushed all the way back and reclined all the way back I can still drive the car with my knees. Other then that I really have enjoyed this car. Also the engine strains when you drive over 60 mph other then that I would recommend this car to anyone who ask."

Not the promised fuel economy

By on Monday, March 18, 2013

Pros: "Good price for what I got"

Cons: "Fuel economy not as advertised."

"This is a good little car - have had no mechanical problems at all. Does what is should, except fuel economy is less than I thought it should be. Getting about 25 to 26 mpg on nearly all highway miles. I am mature and drive for economy, so I would have thought the car would do about 29 - 30 mpg."

Most Dependable vehicle i have owned!

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "smooth ride.. very dependable"

Cons: "cup holder area is a little bit tight to fit2drink"

"I bought this vehicle used in 2009 with 26,000 miles.. everything works great still with almost 119,000 miles on it now with hardly a lick of trouble.. just change the oil and rotate the tires and it just keeps on rolling great gas mileage.. usually get around 30-31 under normal highway driving... If you are thinking of buying don't hesitate.. I'm going to drive this till the wheels fall off."

Satisfied with car but 18mpg city not good

By on Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pros: "Price, looks, space"

Cons: "MPG"

"I retired recently and sold my Mercedes E320 and picked up this dealer certified pre-owned Chevy Malibu as it was decently priced, looked good, and the reviews said 22mpg city and 33mpg highway. After 6000 miles of ownership I like everything about the car except the MPG. I never get more than 18 - 19mpg city and even on long stretches of straight highway driving I never get more than 26+mpg. The MPG is a big disappointment as all the other cars I drove over the last decade, as well as the other cars in the family today, they all track close to their stated MPG."

Best Car choice!

By on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pros: "cheap insurance, looks & runs GREAT"

"I was reluctant to trade in my "all bells and whistles" cadillac, but this vehicle really delivered all the comfort and performance. It's been 3 years now and I still LOVE my custom interior Malibu LTZ I get a lot of compliments on its sporty style."

2009 Malibu LT

By on Saturday, February 6, 2010

"I traded my Nissan Altima for a car which I though was of comparable value. I was wrong. It is much better. Smoother, quieter ride with more extras for the same price. I have had the Malibu for almost a year and it has been great. The only short coming compared to the Altima was that the Altima got slighly higher gas mileage."

In shop 4 times since i purchased

By on Monday, November 30, 2009

"I bought the 2009 LTZ model, at first i loved it and was talked into buying it by the dealership and trading in my saturn vue. I have had it since may 2009 and it is now Nov 2009 and this car has been in the shop 4 times so far!!! (power steering problem, air conditioning duct work, and the interior cracked and fell off, now for some break and wheel problems. I am scared that when the warranty is out I will be putting so much into this car to keep it going if I have already had to have it at the shop so much already. I barely drive this car and keep it kept up very well with all the required services. I like all the features on this car and how quick the engine is but, I have put it on the market to get rid of it because all the problems are not worth the good things about it."

Best vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "Price, Comfort, Reliability, Look, Features"

"My experience with my 2011 Malibu LT2 has been fantastic! The drive is smooth and the car itself is sharp! Plenty of features to make the vehicle fun (aux audio input, XM radio, heated seats). Years ago my parents purchased a Malibu and now (2013) it is driving fantastic with low maintenance. With this knowledge I decided to purchase used and I couldn't be happier! I applaud Chevrolet on the work and dedication to this model. My 3 year old son and I have enjoyed every trip in this vehicle whether it is just to see family and friends, go to work or daycare!"

I have had only minor issues. Love this car!

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

"I purchased this car for my daughter because it was rated one of the top safest cars on the market. We have had minor electrical problems, and one major problem that had something to do with a "rocker arm"? Anyway $1000 later, we still have it, and it still drives like new, good on gas, and quite comfortable, as you can see by the 175,000 miles it has on it! I only wish I had a moon roof, navigation system and the "on star". That would really be sweet:) I am going to trade it in soon, and upgrade this vehicle."

Great looking, drives nice, reliability an issue

By on Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pros: "Good looks"

Cons: "Bad computer system"

"We have had this car repaired about 11 times for an issue where the brake lights come on unexpectedly and the transmission shifts up and down. I have had enough of this problem and trading it off."

over all great car for the price

By on Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pros: "lots of power with the 3.5 v6 blast to drive"

Cons: "steering wheel cheep, no arm rest in the back bad"

"i got a 2009 chevy malibu last year with 32000 and now it has 60100 miles LOOOTTTSSSSS of power with tthe 3.5L v6 this may just be with mine but i played the stareo in my drive way after shutting off the car for about 1 minuite and came out an hour later battery completaly dead happend a few times bought a new battery a couple mounths ago no problem and we got the battery tested and nothing was wrong with it at all so a weird little thing we have the black matalic paint it is amazing it shines the theres no tommaro in the sun we dont have the leather steering wheel so the top of the steering wheel is fall apart and about a mounth ago ball joint was sooooo lose made bad sounds and shouck out on the highway .$500 later drives like a new car i dont recamend the black interior i love the coco and cashmer beauteful and i like the grey but over all a great car we paid septeember of 2011 $13900 4 speedno options beside the 3.5 v6 love the car would make it to 200000 easy!"

I love my Malibu.

By on Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, handling, luxury features, quiet."

Cons: "Nothing."

"The Malibu is absolutely the best car I have ever owned (which includes a Mustang and two Volvos). It rides and handles like a dream. I feel absolutely safe. It has plenty of power. (Careful: The smooth ride is deceptive; I got a speeding ticket.) It is absolutely silent inside. I can drive at high speed on the expressway, turn the radio down and keep up a normal conversation. The power seats are infinitely adjustable in all directions, including a power lumbar support. With the tilt/telescope wheel, anybody would be comfortable in this car on a long drive. I love the XM Sirius radio and the OnStar directions are well worth the fee. It is a very beautiful car; I love the look of it. Construction quality is fine and solid; fit and finish compares with a European luxury sedan. I have put 26,000 miles on this car in nine months. I commute a hundred miles a day. In the Malibu, all that driving is actually enjoyable. I get about 28 mpg overall. Storage with the fold down rear seat is amazing; I have actually hauled lumber in it. No, I do not work for GM or a dealer; I just love the car that much."

Absolutely love my Malibu

By on Friday, December 30, 2011

Pros: "great gas mileage, smooth ride"

"I have no complaints for this car. I bought it new in 2010 and have no regrets. I have been in an accident and I believe if I was in any other car I would have had serious medical issues, as the van that hit me was totaled and my car need few repairs. Everything has held up amazingly, there is absolutely nothing I would change."

Best Buy

By on Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"Best buy I have ever made as cars go. I compared this to every other car in it's class before I purchased, the value was unbeatable. Japan's mid-size cars were considerably more expensive with less features, even in the fully loaded models. I can understand why, they have the name and record of reliability. I have the utmost faith in my Chevy though, 100,000 mile powertrain is a good confidence booster. Quality seems top notch as this car looks sexy and rides smooth. The styling inside and out is very attractive. The Ford Fusion lacked kick in both the 4cyl and 6cyl models, the Malibu is sluggish in the 4cyl but the 6cyl has a lot of get up. Japanese manufacturers beware: you now have legit competition from Chevrolet in the mid-size car market. As long as I am around to buy automobiles Chevrolet gets the first look from now on."

First new car!

By on Sunday, November 2, 2008

"I love my malibu! I drive 120 miles a day for work, and i average 30-32 on the highway. love this car, great fit & finish, and great looks. some people have asked me why i bought a cadillac, and i look at them and say "it's just a malibu...", and then they realize it is! My favorite thing about it is the chrome. just enough, not too much. especially the chrome wheel covers.... they fool EVERYONE into thinking i spent the big bucks on real chrome wheels... but theyre just covers!"

GLAD I BOUGHT

By on Friday, July 11, 2008

"This vehicle is amazing!!! I'm very happy with my milage as I am averaging 26.5 mpg both city and highway with my V-6. I got the LTZ and could not be more happy with all the equipment and performance. It's a very solid ride that is equally quiet inside. XM is cool and mine also has blue tooth built in so it's aesy to follow the new law here in California. If you are considering a vehicle in this class the Malibu is truely the best in class."

Love It

By on Wednesday, May 21, 2008

"I haven't had this car but a week, but I totally love it. Chevrolet did a great job in redesigning the Malibu. I test drove a Ford Fusion, Nissan Altima, the Malibu and an Impala. I also looked at the Pontiacs. The Malibu won me over. Its exterior is sporty but classy looking and the interior doesn't lack anything at all. I love the two-tone leather. It drives and rides great!"

Several issues

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "handles well on road, good gas mileage"

Cons: "many repairs, difficult to see in reverse"

"Bought car NEW. 5 months old-transmission replaced. At 2 years old, front struts replaced. 3 years old, trunk shock replaced. 3 1/2 years, transmission issues again... Difficult to see when backing up..."

A great car

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

Pros: "A great interior experience"

Cons: "Lacks traction on snow."

"I love this car. The interior is superb. It has all the features I can think of needing. It's roomy enough for a big guy like me. The only gripe is that it is too light in the snow so it has traction issues on snowy days. Otherwise, it rides well and gets good mileage."

Outstanding car; Awesome driving in the city

By on Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Pros: "Style, practical, easy to drive, great mileage."

Cons: "Not great for tall people"

"This care is a real beauty. It is a sharp looking car and it is a dream to drive. It is so easy to maneuver in the city with easy start/stop and its turn radius is great. It's easy to park and drive. It gets great mileage and is smooth on the highway. This is the best car I've ever owned."

Have owned for 2 years and had electrical problems

By on Monday, December 2, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, fuel efficient"

Cons: "Electrical problems."

"I have owned the 2010 Malibu 1LT for 2 1/2 years. About a year after purchasing, the air conditioning stopped working (late summer), and the check engine light came on. It started again a few days later. I made it through the summer with the A/C working part time. It started again this spring. I had it checked, and the code read that the engine temp was out of range. I was told to change the thermostat. I did, as well as the sending unit since they are there together. I thought it was fixed, but it has done it again since, probable 6 weeks later. Then the traction light started coming on, and the display read Service ESC, and Service Traction. When this happens, the transmission shifts erratically while going down the road at highway speeds. I am told that this is not under warranty, yet it is related to engine and transmission. All ABS sensors are fine, and these codes come on randomly. If you turn off the engine and re-start, the code goes away, but might come back within minutes."