2006 Chevrolet Malibu

8.1

Based on 975 Ratings for the 2004 - 2007 models.

2006 Malibu, 230,000 miles and going strong. 4CYL

By on Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pros: "Good MPG, Ice Cold A/C, Great Radio!"

Cons: "Its a 4 cylinder, Ehhhh... Hubcaps rattle, A LOT!"

"This HAS to be the BEST car I have EVER owned. Currently pumping out 230,000 miles with issues so minimal it is almost unreal. I did have to replace the control arms and struts at around 225K. (I'm still not sure struts were needed) The check engine light has came on once, for a completely wore out thermostat around 215K. The only electrical issues I have came across is the key less entry system, no longer works and the power door lock switches are starting to get tired. Nothing else. I haven't forgot anything! Just typical routine maintenance any car would need! SO MUCH better then my previous Ford! (I sent the Ford to the graveyard at 192K and worried the last 50K miles worth! LOL) My 06 Chevy still runs strong, leave me feeling confident to go wherever I want and I am just going to keep on driving it until it is dead!"

exceeding my expectations

By on Monday, March 23, 2009

"i bought my malibu used through my employer and have put 10000 miles on it since purchase. so far it has been problem free. what it lacks in style it makes up for in space, ergonomics, and utility. my ecotec powered model also averages 31mpg which is great on my wallet. i would recommend this car to anyone"

Overlooked and underrated!

By on Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"I bought this car as a second choice, but ended up loving it! PROS: heated leather seats, sunroof, rear DVD, and more, all for less than $23k brand new! We averaged 31 mpg on a two day trip averaging 65-79 m.p.h. Rear seats (and front passenger seat) all fold flat for amazing cargo hauling! With the slide/recline function of the rear seats, legroom is unsurpassed (for a car in this price range). Heated seats are great for cold weather and the car handles pretty good on snowy/icy roads. CONS: Styling, while unique, doesn't exactly draw crowds. I hate to say it, but the typical GM downfalls affect this car: minor mechanical malfunctions that don't keep the car from running, but are annoying nonetheless. Such as: windshield cowling rattle (fixed), headlight jiggle (fixed), vanity mirror covers broke off (fixed), steering rack clunk (deciding if I want to pay to get it fixed or not). All of these things are easily tended to, but they shouldn't need to be. I really want to love domestic cars and buy American (this is my fourth Chevy), but the older I get, the more I want a car that functions like...well, a Honda, guess. I've heard the new generation Malibu raises the game. Let's hope so, for GM's sake."

Bought it for my kid

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"I was so impressed with the value+performance+capability package of the 2003 Malibu which I bought for my oldest kid, that a few months later I bought a 2004 Malibu for my next kid. The younger kid only uses it lightly for local short trips, so the miles have not piled up. Even so, reliability is 100% perfect. Next year she'll be away to college with it, and I'm confident in it. As GM typically does, the car has abundant power. As is a new trend with GM, the car has good fuel economy. That is, a GM V-6 powered mid-sized sedan gets 30 mpg on highway trips. There is one trip I take occasionally involving twisty-turny mountain roads near Austin, TX. The thumb-rocker control on the automatic transmission makes safely navigating that trip a breeze. In my other cars, it's not so easy. My daughter likes all the convenience features of this car, so I'll add that GM has done well at making a car that delivers a pleasant user experience. I've had the car for 4+ years now. According to this web site, the '04 LS model is worth about 60% more than the '03 base model. Maybe so, but they are both fine cars for the price paid."

Too many problems

By on Friday, December 28, 2007

"I bought my 2006 Malibu in March of 2007. Since then I have had starter problems, (when I turn the key, it won't come on), clunking in the steering, which I just found out is leaking struts. The doors keep swinging shut. The car itself gets pretty good mileage, about 25 in the city and about 32-35 on the highway. It's a comfortable car to drive. Lots of get up and go but when turning corners in rain, the car skids a bit. My car is kind of a cranberry color. Very pretty."