2006 Chevrolet Malibu

8.1

Based on 936 Ratings for the 2004 - 2007 models.

Powerful and Roomy

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "V6 standard, Reliable, and huge interior"

Cons: "V6 can suck up your gas, takes turns hard"

"I bought my Malibu Maxx at 50,000 miles from a rental agency I worked at at the time, and after some repairs to the brakes (they were rusted from inactivity), this car has made me a happy man. I am 6'5", and this car can handle my tall, fat family (up to 5 full-sized adults) with no problems. The fold-down rear seats also saved my skin when having to move home from college, easily taking most of my stuff in two trips. I've had it on highways, gravel roads, and no roads, and I've never had any problems with power or mobility. The V6 has surprisingly good get-up-and-go, and can power up steeper grade highway hills with ease. If drive like an old man and don't use the power of the V6, I can easily get a consistent 23 mi/gal. On pure highway, can get all the way up to 30+ mi/gal! Only recently have I had any problems with it; it almost overheated, which was fixed with a new water pump and serpentine belt. With most of the "old car" repairs (repairs done around 80,000 miles) done, I fully expect this car to last another 100,000 miles. I highly recommend this vehicle to any starting family on a budget."

Great gas mileage, great features, very comfortabl

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "Fuel mileage. Looks"

Cons: "Steering clunky"

"I have owned this car since 2006 and put 80000 miles on it so far. I love the great gas mileage 33-37 on the highway at 65 mph. Mine has remote start and heated seats which are very important in Minnesota. Always starts. Very nimble and has fantastic traction in snow and ice. Only con is the steering clunks...common problem with all Malibu's of this era."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Sunday, June 15, 2014

"Terrific car"

Top notch car

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Pros: "Buy the SS if you can, there are few on the road."

Cons: "No cons."

"Love this car. It has power in spades, handles great and looks very attractive. When you want to pass it's never a problem at any reasonable highway speed. Handles like a dream, you can accelerate in those fun curves at high speeds without losing traction. The interior is very nice and at 8 years old I just had my first little hiccup where the paneling leather is coming unglued but I do live on the ocean so who can say if that's Chevy or the ocean."

Almost a great car

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable interior, gas mileage, price"

Cons: "Electrical problems galore"

"I purchased this car almost new in October 2005 with approximately 19,000 miles. If you're looking for a lower price car with some of the options on more expensive models then the Malibu is definitely a strong contender. Just be prepared for unexpected and costly repairs. Almost immediately after I purchased the car I started having electrical problems that caused the brake lights to not work properly. I have had the issue fixed twice to the tune of about $1,000 each time and no it looks like the brake lights are starting to act up again. I have also had other electrical problems with the car like the power door locks sticking (which now just don't work at all) and the power trunk release sticks. I've stopped using the trunk because I never know for sure it will open. In all fairness I will say if it weren't for all of the electrical problems and the fact that they started when the car was still quite new, this would be a perfect car. The interior is very comfortable and I think you would have a hard time finding a better riding car for the price. This car also does get pretty good gas mileage. Overall it's an ok car, but the electrical problems have turned me off from ever buying another Chevy."

See if you qualify for