2006 Chevrolet Malibu

8.1

Based on 937 Ratings for the 2004 - 2007 models.

Fantastic car!

By on Saturday, July 26, 2014

Pros: "Very many"

"I love this car! Good looking, easy to drive, good mileage, easy to keep looking nice... This is just a fantastic car!"

Regrets; should have looked longer

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pros: "Spacious cargo area"

Cons: "Almost everything else"

"I bought this car used out of desperation after my car was totaled. It was immediately available and affordable. There are a few things I like about it, but they are outweighed by the things I dislike. The positive: it has considerable cargo space; I can put up to four dog crates into the back when transporting rescue dogs when the rear seat is folded down. Because the wheel base is relatively long, Passengers in the rear seat are riding in front of the rear wheels rather than over them; it is a much smoother ride. There is also a lot of legroom in the back. The negative: the interior is poorly designed. There is a dimmer switch at knee height to the left of the steering column which I have had to replace three times, as it gets knocked off by my knees when I get into the car. The cup holders are the wrong size; I had to remove the liners. The rearview mirror has a very short stem and is hard to adjust. The car cannot maintain speed on an upgrade. The digital dashboard display can only be viewed at night. I have been told by a dealer that the only way I can correct this problem is to replace the entire radio assembly, at a cost of about $1,200.00. The manual is not well organized (there are no cross-references when looking things up), and reprogramming the options is confusing and time consuming. To top it off, the car was just recalled by GM for an ignition problem, the dealer doesn't have the repair parts, and doesn't know when they will be available. If this is typical, I hope never to own another General Motors vehicle. This is my first one, and will probably be the last."

Powerful and Roomy

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "V6 standard, Reliable, and huge interior"

Cons: "V6 can suck up your gas, takes turns hard"

"I bought my Malibu Maxx at 50,000 miles from a rental agency I worked at at the time, and after some repairs to the brakes (they were rusted from inactivity), this car has made me a happy man. I am 6'5", and this car can handle my tall, fat family (up to 5 full-sized adults) with no problems. The fold-down rear seats also saved my skin when having to move home from college, easily taking most of my stuff in two trips. I've had it on highways, gravel roads, and no roads, and I've never had any problems with power or mobility. The V6 has surprisingly good get-up-and-go, and can power up steeper grade highway hills with ease. If drive like an old man and don't use the power of the V6, I can easily get a consistent 23 mi/gal. On pure highway, can get all the way up to 30+ mi/gal! Only recently have I had any problems with it; it almost overheated, which was fixed with a new water pump and serpentine belt. With most of the "old car" repairs (repairs done around 80,000 miles) done, I fully expect this car to last another 100,000 miles. I highly recommend this vehicle to any starting family on a budget."

Great gas mileage, great features, very comfortabl

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "Fuel mileage. Looks"

Cons: "Steering clunky"

"I have owned this car since 2006 and put 80000 miles on it so far. I love the great gas mileage 33-37 on the highway at 65 mph. Mine has remote start and heated seats which are very important in Minnesota. Always starts. Very nimble and has fantastic traction in snow and ice. Only con is the steering clunks...common problem with all Malibu's of this era."

Best car I've ever owned