2004 Chevrolet Malibu

8.1

Based on 990 Ratings for the 2004 - 2007 models.

Overlooked and underrated!

By on Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"I bought this car as a second choice, but ended up loving it! PROS: heated leather seats, sunroof, rear DVD, and more, all for less than $23k brand new! We averaged 31 mpg on a two day trip averaging 65-79 m.p.h. Rear seats (and front passenger seat) all fold flat for amazing cargo hauling! With the slide/recline function of the rear seats, legroom is unsurpassed (for a car in this price range). Heated seats are great for cold weather and the car handles pretty good on snowy/icy roads. CONS: Styling, while unique, doesn't exactly draw crowds. I hate to say it, but the typical GM downfalls affect this car: minor mechanical malfunctions that don't keep the car from running, but are annoying nonetheless. Such as: windshield cowling rattle (fixed), headlight jiggle (fixed), vanity mirror covers broke off (fixed), steering rack clunk (deciding if I want to pay to get it fixed or not). All of these things are easily tended to, but they shouldn't need to be. I really want to love domestic cars and buy American (this is my fourth Chevy), but the older I get, the more I want a car that functions like...well, a Honda, guess. I've heard the new generation Malibu raises the game. Let's hope so, for GM's sake."

Bought it for my kid

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"I was so impressed with the value+performance+capability package of the 2003 Malibu which I bought for my oldest kid, that a few months later I bought a 2004 Malibu for my next kid. The younger kid only uses it lightly for local short trips, so the miles have not piled up. Even so, reliability is 100% perfect. Next year she'll be away to college with it, and I'm confident in it. As GM typically does, the car has abundant power. As is a new trend with GM, the car has good fuel economy. That is, a GM V-6 powered mid-sized sedan gets 30 mpg on highway trips. There is one trip I take occasionally involving twisty-turny mountain roads near Austin, TX. The thumb-rocker control on the automatic transmission makes safely navigating that trip a breeze. In my other cars, it's not so easy. My daughter likes all the convenience features of this car, so I'll add that GM has done well at making a car that delivers a pleasant user experience. I've had the car for 4+ years now. According to this web site, the '04 LS model is worth about 60% more than the '03 base model. Maybe so, but they are both fine cars for the price paid."

Too many problems

By on Friday, December 28, 2007

"I bought my 2006 Malibu in March of 2007. Since then I have had starter problems, (when I turn the key, it won't come on), clunking in the steering, which I just found out is leaking struts. The doors keep swinging shut. The car itself gets pretty good mileage, about 25 in the city and about 32-35 on the highway. It's a comfortable car to drive. Lots of get up and go but when turning corners in rain, the car skids a bit. My car is kind of a cranberry color. Very pretty."

Good Car for Money

By on Friday, July 31, 2015

"The size of the Malibu is perfect for me - roomy and comfortable for a mid-size car. It rides a little rough as compared to my old Toyota Camry - not a luxury ride, but that's ok. The interior is nicer than my sister's Mercedes. It has had several recalls, which is a nuisance, but no other major repairs. I paid about $17k for it new and would consider another Malibu in the future."

Powerful and Roomy

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "V6 standard, Reliable, and huge interior"

Cons: "V6 can suck up your gas, takes turns hard"

"I bought my Malibu Maxx at 50,000 miles from a rental agency I worked at at the time, and after some repairs to the brakes (they were rusted from inactivity), this car has made me a happy man. I am 6'5", and this car can handle my tall, fat family (up to 5 full-sized adults) with no problems. The fold-down rear seats also saved my skin when having to move home from college, easily taking most of my stuff in two trips. I've had it on highways, gravel roads, and no roads, and I've never had any problems with power or mobility. The V6 has surprisingly good get-up-and-go, and can power up steeper grade highway hills with ease. If drive like an old man and don't use the power of the V6, I can easily get a consistent 23 mi/gal. On pure highway, can get all the way up to 30+ mi/gal! Only recently have I had any problems with it; it almost overheated, which was fixed with a new water pump and serpentine belt. With most of the "old car" repairs (repairs done around 80,000 miles) done, I fully expect this car to last another 100,000 miles. I highly recommend this vehicle to any starting family on a budget."