2004 Chevrolet Malibu

8.1

Based on 956 Ratings for the 2004 - 2007 models.

GREAT FAST AMERICAN 4 DOOR

By on Monday, December 15, 2014

Pros: "FUN TO OWN VERY RARE GOOD SOUND SYSTEM RESPONSIVE"

Cons: "NOBOY KNOWS WHAT CAR IT IS"

"VERY FAST PASS BY TRAFFIC ON THE FREEWAY STILL PULL NICELY AFTER 60 MPH AND JUST GOES GOOD CAR AND VERY UNIQUE NOBODY HAS IT"

Have been very impressed

By on Monday, December 15, 2014

Pros: "Nice ride, lots of room inside, good gas mileage"

Cons: "not cute"

"I purchased this car with 29,000 miles on it in 2008. It has done a lot of business travel with me, now in 2014 it has 186,000 miles on it. It has the typical rattle in the dash "turn up the radio" type noise. I have only done maintenance items on this car. The passenger seat airbag sensor has been off for years but other than that no problems what so ever. I have been very impressed with this car. I would recommend it to anyone who is finding a decent mileage used one."

Malibu Maxx the best

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pros: "reliable, responsive, good value"

Cons: "plastic parts on fuel pump break"

"This car has been reliable and easy to drive. If they still made this model I'd trade in for a newer one. Since they don't (why? good question!) I'll keep this one until it stops,probably 250,000+. There has been a problem with a little plastic gadget breaking on the fuel pump. It has broken 2 times and I have needed to replace the entire pump. I'm on my 3rd pump."

No mechanical issues. Gas mileage 22/36

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Pros: "Great price, roomy, good gas mileage"

Cons: "brakes only last 35,000 miles"

"I had this car almost 10 years. Only repairs were brakes. Lots of room with fold down seats. Great gas mileage. 36 mpg on trip from NY to Boston. Six cyl. engine gives great power."

Malibu

By on Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage, great performance, drives well."

Cons: "Road noise, slick road performance"

"This has been a fantastic car for us- 206K miles (and still going!!). We've had no major issues with the car. Gas mileage is great, drives like a dream. The only downsides are a LOT of road noise, not entirely comfortable for taller-than-average people, and I give it an "average" rating in snow/ice."

Outstanding car, wish they continued the model.

By on Sunday, November 09, 2014

Pros: "It's the MAXX, love it."

"I have been thinking of a newer model since I do a lot of driving but I can't find another car with all the features of this model, the Malibu MaXX. It looks great, drives fantastic, has special features and is very roomy. Gas mileage is beyond its years. I once drove my brother's 1965 Ford Mustang which was so much fun. A few years after he returned from Viet Nam, he sold it. I wish I had bought and kept it. It was so fun to drive and that is how I feel about the Malibu Maxx. It is a classic already in my opinion."

Very practical & useful vehicle. Good performance

By on Monday, November 03, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive."

"Car drives like sports car and has plenty of power. Plenty of room inside. Biggest complaint is suspension system."

Excellent car, love the way it drives.

By on Monday, November 03, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable."

Cons: "Had to replace remote entry 4 times."

"Brought the car new and have been very satisfied with it. Very minor problems and have not had to spend much money on repairs. Very comfortable ride. First car I ever owned that I have been able to keep for this long. Would recommend it highly and consider buying another one (sorry they no longer make the MAXX)Great to carry things because of the way the seats fold down."

Great car for the price

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

"Nice car. Nice size. Great MPG for a mid-size with a 6 cyl."

This car is a workhorse! I have loved it!

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

"I have driven this car almost every day since buying it as a used car with 32,000 mi. on it. It needs shocks and some brake work; it has kid-proof locks and excellent security locks. I have taken reasonably good care of it but not garage kept. It has great "pick-up" and handles easily!!"

Good Car for 1st time drivers~

By on Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great mpg"

Cons: "no space for upgrades in the engine compartment"

"I got this car for my 16th birthday and have had it for about a year now. I love the gas mileage on it 21mpg city/30mpg highway with a 17 gallon tank. I love the style of the care. Even with the few recall notices we've gotten on it (ex. ABS, Cruise Control, & Transmission recall), it has been an amazing car to drive. Great turn radius for me, as it is hard getting out of my high school parking lot, I crank my steering wheel all the way around and easily move towards the exit of the lot."

Just hit 276,000 miles and still no problems

By on Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pros: "Durability to the inth degree, and reliable."

Cons: "Few electrical glitches..............."

"Had a update upon the recall I just took down to the dealership.............mechanics couldn't believe the odometer............yes, 276,000 miles and it burns about a cup of high mileage oil every two thousand miles..great, one of the best vehicles I have ever owned...........next stop 300,000.........few problems, gas gauge doesn't work any longer, but trip metre handles this problem.....all else fine, auto locking system must be unlocked manually, but probably the battery in the key device, nothing shocking..........Buy this baby, all I have done is follow the maintenance schedule..........that's it:+)}}}"

Have never had any mechanical problems

By on Sunday, September 07, 2014

Pros: "Great to drive, great sound system."

"Car is in perfect working condition. I have kept up with the maintainance and it is basically driven 7 - 9 miles daily to work (five days a week). It has minor scratches on the lower back bumper. I just bought 4 new goodyear tires and a wheel alignment. It has LoJack and additional alarm system. I hate to part with it but am moving west and will not have use for it."

Great car easy to drive and reliable on the road.

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "great motor and gas milage"

Cons: "small interiors in comparison with similar models."

"This is a great car. The tank last for up to 300 miles in the city and almost 500 on highway. Powerful motor with a great response on the hill and never loss power. Perfect for heavy traffic, is easy to drive and great maneuverability. The car is trustworthy in the city and in the road. I definitely recommend it."

Decent but costly over time

By on Wednesday, August 20, 2014

"2004 Maxx LS. Great gas mileage, excellent get up and go, comfortable, good sound, versatile with rear seat fold down, convenient features. But the calipers, rotors, brakes in general - that's multiple hundreds of dollars over 10 years I've owned it. And, in our case 1200-1500 for front suspension work. And check engine light very hard to get turned off for inspections. Recent recall letters say no parts available for the problem. So, kinda costly to own but a good car overall for us."

Great affordable car!

By on Sunday, August 17, 2014

Pros: "Great car and quality."

Cons: "Seats are easy to stain."

"I bought my 2006 Chevy Malibu back in 2010. I've bought the car with 50000 whiles on the head. Its a great family car with lots of room for a small family. I've driven the car all over Florida without breaking my pocket in the gas tank. I have even driven from Orlando to Panama City Beach off a single tank of gas. The car takes about 55 bucks to fill up if you are putting plus gasoline in. For a V6 it has amazing pick up. The car can do 120 with no problem without any cutting or lag. Also the car has a amazing stock sound system. The only thing I've had to replace on the since I had was break pads at about 80000, tire rods, rotaters , and a alignment at about 130000. For the most my Malibu has been a great reliable car."

Ive had almost no problems with my car for 5 years

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

"I purchased my 2006 Malibu in 2009 with 48,000 miles on it. The car has had almost no issues between 48,000 miles and 100,000 miles. Around 100,000 miles I needed to get new tires, tie rod ends, break pads, battery, serpentine belt, and some fluid flushes. Most people would say that this is a fair amount of work at 100,000 miles, but I am sure I can get another 50,000 miles out of her with minimal investments from here on out. The car has fantastic gas mileage, and has held up well to Wisconsin and Iowa winters with no rust yet. I would buy this car again. I have never touched the AC and it still cools like it did 5 years ago.....which is more than I can say for other cars I have owned. This car has been 100% reliable.....beyond typical maintenance at 100,000 it was a solid buy from day 1."

No major problems for the most part

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "It hasn't cost me a lot as far as mechanical fixes"

Cons: "Bad brakes, rusted quickly"

"This was my first new car ever. I bought it new in 2005. I've had to have the brake pads replaced and the rotors machined three times since owning it, which I think is excessive. I had to replace the fuel pump in 2013. Other than that, the car runs well. It handles Iowa winters well. In 2014 it's just starting to show it's age."

trouble-free for almost 10 yrs

By on Friday, August 01, 2014

Pros: "trouble free, comfortable"

"I am the single-owner of this car. I've had it for nearly 10 yrs and never done anything but routine maintenance. Gas mileage isn't what I'd hope (about 28mpg city, very short trips), but that has a lot to do with how watered-down the gas is. Best car I've ever owned!"

Fantastic car!

By on Saturday, July 26, 2014

Pros: "Very many"

"I love this car! Good looking, easy to drive, good mileage, easy to keep looking nice... This is just a fantastic car!"

Regrets; should have looked longer

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Pros: "Spacious cargo area"

Cons: "Almost everything else"

"I bought this car used out of desperation after my car was totaled. It was immediately available and affordable. There are a few things I like about it, but they are outweighed by the things I dislike. The positive: it has considerable cargo space; I can put up to four dog crates into the back when transporting rescue dogs when the rear seat is folded down. Because the wheel base is relatively long, Passengers in the rear seat are riding in front of the rear wheels rather than over them; it is a much smoother ride. There is also a lot of legroom in the back. The negative: the interior is poorly designed. There is a dimmer switch at knee height to the left of the steering column which I have had to replace three times, as it gets knocked off by my knees when I get into the car. The cup holders are the wrong size; I had to remove the liners. The rearview mirror has a very short stem and is hard to adjust. The car cannot maintain speed on an upgrade. The digital dashboard display can only be viewed at night. I have been told by a dealer that the only way I can correct this problem is to replace the entire radio assembly, at a cost of about $1,200.00. The manual is not well organized (there are no cross-references when looking things up), and reprogramming the options is confusing and time consuming. To top it off, the car was just recalled by GM for an ignition problem, the dealer doesn't have the repair parts, and doesn't know when they will be available. If this is typical, I hope never to own another General Motors vehicle. This is my first one, and will probably be the last."

Powerful and Roomy

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "V6 standard, Reliable, and huge interior"

Cons: "V6 can suck up your gas, takes turns hard"

"I bought my Malibu Maxx at 50,000 miles from a rental agency I worked at at the time, and after some repairs to the brakes (they were rusted from inactivity), this car has made me a happy man. I am 6'5", and this car can handle my tall, fat family (up to 5 full-sized adults) with no problems. The fold-down rear seats also saved my skin when having to move home from college, easily taking most of my stuff in two trips. I've had it on highways, gravel roads, and no roads, and I've never had any problems with power or mobility. The V6 has surprisingly good get-up-and-go, and can power up steeper grade highway hills with ease. If drive like an old man and don't use the power of the V6, I can easily get a consistent 23 mi/gal. On pure highway, can get all the way up to 30+ mi/gal! Only recently have I had any problems with it; it almost overheated, which was fixed with a new water pump and serpentine belt. With most of the "old car" repairs (repairs done around 80,000 miles) done, I fully expect this car to last another 100,000 miles. I highly recommend this vehicle to any starting family on a budget."

Great gas mileage, great features, very comfortabl

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "Fuel mileage. Looks"

Cons: "Steering clunky"

"I have owned this car since 2006 and put 80000 miles on it so far. I love the great gas mileage 33-37 on the highway at 65 mph. Mine has remote start and heated seats which are very important in Minnesota. Always starts. Very nimble and has fantastic traction in snow and ice. Only con is the steering clunks...common problem with all Malibu's of this era."

Best car I've ever owned

By on Sunday, June 15, 2014

"Terrific car"

Top notch car

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Pros: "Buy the SS if you can, there are few on the road."

Cons: "No cons."

"Love this car. It has power in spades, handles great and looks very attractive. When you want to pass it's never a problem at any reasonable highway speed. Handles like a dream, you can accelerate in those fun curves at high speeds without losing traction. The interior is very nice and at 8 years old I just had my first little hiccup where the paneling leather is coming unglued but I do live on the ocean so who can say if that's Chevy or the ocean."