2003 Chevrolet Malibu

6.8

Based on 929 Ratings for the 1997 - 2005 models.

7.4/10
    7.1/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.3/10

A throw away car

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Pros: "always starts"

Cons: "Rust bucket"

"I own a 2003 Malibu with 88,000 miles on it. Outside body looks nice. Underneath: 1 Floorboards rusted out near rockers. Can't put much weight for fear of breaking free. 2 Brake lines, all are rusted and need to be replaced. (ALL) 3 Fuel lines need to be replaced and will last around 6 more months, assuming I replaced the brake lines. 4 Battery and air cleaner metal shelf just rusted away. 5. Windshield visor just hangs down 6 glove box has no factory hinge, just a flap that rips off. 7 when I start it, it goes to high idle and stays there for several minutes, more so in winter . Was told this was normal for the Malibu...... I wouldn't buy one of these cars (used). stay away and save your money. I bought this car for $4,000 in 2011 and its now 2014 (3 years of use). it needs to be used as a parts car now."

Best Car Ever!

By on Sunday, December 07, 2014

"I LOVE this Malibu! It's the best car I've ever had!!"

Love this car

By on Thursday, November 13, 2014

Pros: "safe, reliable, comfy, good sound system"

Cons: "no remote start"

"This car drives so nice. I feel safe driving it, it's not too small, not too big. Feels roomy inside, even if 5 people are in it. This has been such a good reliable car for me, I'll be sad when it's time to get a new one. I just wish it came with remote start, that is the only thing I wish it had."

Biggest Lemon Ever!

By on Sunday, November 02, 2014

Pros: "Loved all of my cup holders!"

Cons: "hated all the mechanical problems:("

"When I first got the car it ran great! Then it started to act quirky. The turn signals would work every now and then. The radio would just shut off and then turn back on. Took it and had it tested and the guy told me it all came back to the ignition switch. Never had the $ to get it replaced. In the meantime, had to have the intake manifold replaced. Fast forward 5 years, heat not working properly, turn signals still acting quirky. Fast forward 1 more year, antifreeze/water disappearing and having to add every single day. Intake manifold needs replaced again. There is a recall on the ignition switch that would possibly fix the quirky turn signal issue but not going to worry about it now. Not fixing intake manifold when that would cost more than what the car is worth. Later found out that Chevy's have a lot of issues with their intake manifolds. Just something to look into if you are thinking of purchasing one!"

Reliable

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

"This is a great car for a 1st time driver or college student. Have had for several years, maintained properly and have had no major problems"

Decent sedan, easy to drive

By on Sunday, September 21, 2014

"I've owned and driven this car for 10 years now putting on over 150,000 miles. I really enjoy driving this car because it is comfortable and smooth. I've also driven many miles in bad, winter weather and always felt safe."

I love this car.

By on Saturday, September 20, 2014

Pros: "Beautiful ride on the highway."

Cons: "Backseat cup holders not very secure."

"Great on gas. Smooth ride. New front bumper and 4 new tires. Maybe twice a month when I turn the ignition, the RPM will drop back to zero. I love my Chevy Malibu. I have had it coming up on 4 years now. Bought used, and have taken care of it."

Worth keeping till something big breaks

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Pros: "Big, comfortable, good on gas"

"125K miles on this 2001. Glad I kept it and had the head gasket leak fixed a couple years back. Great gas mileage for a car this size. Reputation for the Malibu has climbed, and my experience agrees. Everything about the car is very good, for the price."

Find another car. Really.

By on Friday, September 05, 2014

Pros: "Excellent highway performance."

Cons: "The unbelievable metal deterioration"

"This was my final purchase of a Chevy product. I've owned cars from all of the big 3, and in three cases, the Chevs rusted away in 12 years. I just brought my Boo to the wreckers b/c the front end steering rack had completely rusted away.I didn't do the repair, as it would have been over a thousand, and the brake and fuel lines were ready to go. The paint job started to fall off- not rust away, fall off in patches, showing bare steel underneath after only five years. Five. Years. The engine knocked like mad from the day it hit the street. I purchased it two years old, and the dealer sort of ripped me off by having the car completely warmed up when I test drove it. My bad. The quality of Chev products (Corsica, Malibu and an Impala) have declined. I'd stay away from them. Which is a real disappointment, b/c my dream car as a kid was a Vette, and I'm in a position to buy one now. Oh well. Back to Ford or Chrysler."

The Malibu us one of the best cars I have owned

By on Friday, August 22, 2014

Pros: "great price, fun and comfortable drive"

Cons: "sits lower than I was use to coming from a SUV"

grey rainy day..still a nice looking car

"The 2005 Malibu Classic was purchased with 20, 000 miles on it in almost new condition. fall of 2005. I have had no major issues nor minor issues util recently the heater core is leaking on the carpet. I am having this fixed and will have carpet cleaned. It went through heavy snow during the past winter with no problems. Handles well, rides beautifully. The cabin has some road noise. Stereo plays well. It has been kept in the garage when not in use. But I do drive it daily."

grey rainy day..still a nice looking car