2001 Chevrolet Malibu

6.8

Based on 913 Ratings for the 1997 - 2005 models.

7.4/10
    7.1/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.3/10

Absolutely atrocious

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

Pros: "It did work sometimes"

Cons: "A laundry list of expensive repairs."

"Bought from dealer at 30,000, replaced intake at 80,000, now a bad cylinder at 130,000 on top of needing brakes just about every year, numerous sensor and catalytic converter issues, and a bad fuel pump that stranded me. I regret buying this car and I regret every single dollar of routine and non-routine maintenance that I poured into this pile of garbage because in the end it was not worth it. Instead of swapping the engine for 3000+ I am going to get a Camry, Accord or Civic that is older with more miles but I can actually feel some degree of confidence that it will not completely ruin me financially."

good car

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

"paid 2thousand dollars 4 it drove it for two years replaced the intake gaskets drove it any place I wanted to go when I sold it it still ran and drove good used no oil and got 18 miles per gallon in the city was still a good car"

VERY AVERAGE

By on Friday, December 27, 2013

Pros: "Good fuel mileage (30 on the highway)"

Cons: "I Don't trust its dependability."

"I purchased my 2002 in July 2003. It had 21K (+) miles on it and was originally a rental car, whose first year was spent in Florida. In 10.5 years, I've put only 29K on it. The first problem I noticed was when I opened the spare tire compartment to find that water had been seeping (apparently) from the time it was new--the jack was covered with rust and had to replace that...my local Chevy dealer didn't bother to inspect it or if they did, didn't tell me about it; the weatherstripping leaked around the trunk opening. The turn signals quit working but this was a common recall and it was still under warranty for that. I personally replaced the front brake pads, about $40, saving some money there. I've had to replace a noisy, faulty alternator--$130, did that myself also, and most recently the engine intake gaskets ($640), exhaust system (hole in muffler)--$400 but the catalytic converter was salvageable, thank God, rear brake shoes and cylinders--$264, new battery $110--18 months ago. So you can see that even tho' I haven't driven much (3K/year on average), I still had to replace "stuff." So, even if you don't drive much, a car will still get into your bank account one way or another; it goes "downhill" just sitting still...!! The body's in very good shape--never garaged--never been hit--and I keep it waxed, esp. the hood, top and trunk which take most of the sun's punishment. I didn't do my "homework" before purchasing this car--Consumer Reports gave the '02 Malibu a lot of black marks, the '03s did somewhat better. I plan on keeping this car five more years because I had a trailer hitch put on several years ago and can put my bike rack on it (Reese hitch) and rarely, hook up my utility 4'x8' trailer. I think this car will be OK for 5 more years because of low annual mileage. By that time, I'll be ready to trade it in or sell it, probably going with a non-GMC product! It has been just "fair" over the past 10.5 years. Thanks for reading."

cant complain

By on Saturday, December 14, 2013

"when I bought this car it was between a camry and the Malibu.although at the time I would've preferred the Toyota it was $2000 more for the same year and mileage.as it turns out I definitely made the right choice,the car has been better than expected."

A mid range car reliable and best motor forthiscar

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

"a very nice inside desighn for 2000 well we bought our car when it had 137,000 miles on it and it still ran good no tap knock sounded very good so we bout it for 3,800 decent deel well at a 203,000 miles we ran it hot 3 times be for it quit on us well parts are very expensive bout two brand new heads for 275 from carquest and a compleate felpro gasket kit with headbolts,lifters,pushrods,waterpump,batery,oil screen, been flushed twice. 70% of the motor is brand new got about 460 dollars in everything and did it myself very easy to work on runs great have no problems with it its been now 3 years since ive done the work and still runs very good interior is 4/10 now but im getting new front seats and top"

very reliable

By on Friday, November 08, 2013

Pros: "good ride"

"Some minor work needs to be done LR window regulator,and front bumper paint does not match. Rest of the vehicle is in good shape.always had regular work done to this."

Worst car I've ever bought.

By on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pros: "Smooth ride, good power."

Cons: "Lots of mechanical problems."

"Lots of mechanical problems. Passlock (anti theft system) is a headache."

Best vehicle ever

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

"Very good for us"

Best vehicle ever

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

"Very good for us"

Excellent vehicle

By on Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, comfortable. grt mileag"

Cons: "wish it has front split bench seat"

"this is an excellent vehicle for 15 years old. Has a few paint bubbles and small rust spots. body is in really good condition. Avg 27-31 mpg. Fairly quiet on the road. Still fully functional. will drive it well over 300k miles. Great mileage."

See if you qualify for