1999 Chevrolet Malibu

6.9

Based on 951 Ratings for the 1997 - 2003 models.

7.4/10
    7.2/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.3/10

By on Saturday, January 03, 2009

"Though this car doesn't get a great review. I've owned it for 10+ years and it has been a great car. I've kept it well maintained and plan to run it til it's on its last leg."

Sharp, comfortable, handles well

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Pros: "Good styling, handles good, comfortable."

Cons: "antitheft not good desigh."

"2nd owner. Was Exec car before me. Put approx 100000 mi on car. antitheft was annoying due to key switch/had it disabled. New engine installed 95000 mi. due to head gasket leak. Otherwise very reliable. Very sharp car with white leather seats and special dk blue paint that shows maroon tint in sunlight. Very comfortable, drives and handles great."

wouldn't buy again

By on Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"This year of Malibu's had issues with piston slap. My car made it under the warranty with the first go around of piston slap, but withinn another 30,000 miles the piston slap started up again. Apparently GM used teflon coating which if I understood correctly warps, leaving excess room for the piston to move around, hence the slapping noise. This makes for a very noisy ride. Bought this brand new and had some other minor issues that were covered under the warranty, don't believe it was very well made."

Basic 4 door sedan just regular maintenance.

By on Sunday, January 10, 2016

Pros: "Basic sedan with lots of replacement parts."

Even the cats like the Chevy Classic.

"We bought this in 2004 brand new. It takes a beating in the New England winters but hardly any rust over all. Put a new Catalytic Converter on at 145,000 miles due to a clog. Most maintence I do myself per the Manufactures suggestions. I have switched to all synthetic oils and fluids at 100,000 miles still runs the same. I have had very few issues with this car and I do love the style and minimal computer controls so I can buy OEM parts from Amazon and replace them myself. I must say for the money spent, over 12 years I have enjoyed more comfortable safe driving than I have spent on loan and repairs. I have made a few upgrades by pulling from the large amount of this model found in junk yards around my area. Power seat upgrade, replace rug, replace interior roof liner replacement warn parts like power window units all from Junk yard."

Even the cats like the Chevy Classic.

Excellent vehicle

By on Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, comfortable. grt mileag"

Cons: "wish it has front split bench seat"

"this is an excellent vehicle for 15 years old. Has a few paint bubbles and small rust spots. body is in really good condition. Avg 27-31 mpg. Fairly quiet on the road. Still fully functional. will drive it well over 300k miles. Great mileage."

Original owner, going strong at 82K+

By on Thursday, June 11, 2009

"I bought my 2003 Malibu brand new from the dealer in 2003. 6 years and 82,000+ miles later it's still going strong. We have never had any problems with this Malibu. We did have the brakes done at about 45-50,000 miles as expected, and have replaced the tires. We also change the oil every 3,000 miles. No other work has been needed! It is comfortable, reliable, and a pretty good looking sedan. (No rust yet either.) Yes, I would recommend my 2003 Malibu to a friend!"

Very Reliable

By on Sunday, October 12, 2008

"This is onre of the cars you can really appreciate. The 3.1L V6 Performs superbly.The car has NEVER left me stranded on the side of the road. Its Just An American car that can last you for several years if you treat it right. By the way ive had it 10 years Chevy Malibu, "Built To Love, Built to LAST""

DEX-COOL

By on Saturday, September 20, 2008

"Bought this 2002 Mailbu new in 2001. Great car with little dissapointments until we took to selling dealer for an oil change. Had to replace the intake manifold at 5 Years and 2 month, 61,000 miles. Due to GM's Dexcool dissolving the manifold ports. At least it did not take out the manifold gasket dump coolant into the oil and trash the entire engine. Appx $1200.00 to repair. Got the Dealer to refund appx $500 for the cost of the parts. Still believe in this car, but why did not GM contact us to tell us that their DEX-COOL Coolant was eating away at the cooling system."

start every day for the last 7 years

By on Monday, September 01, 2008

"had to replace front brake pads every year. then figured out after owning about 5 and a half years that they were being installed backwards. watch out the wear indicator goes on the inside on these vehicles. had intake gasket leak at about 80,000 miles and 4 years old.repaired under extended warranty by gm dealer and has been alright since.fuel leak from pressure regulator the winter of 07-08.stop after a day without needing repaired at about 104000. be careful when messing around the with fuel pressure regulalor because the throtle body part that hold the accelerator cable is made out of plastic on 00 models and will crack or brake when hit hard enough. cost about $300 to $400 dollar at dealership luckily i was able to get one from local junk yard for $50.00. signal and hazard lights acting up last week. start back working . had hazard swith replaced under recall a couple of years ago. the only other problem was a tie rod which was also done under extended warranty about 3-4 years ago. at 109,000 the engine runs good. gas mileage is ok"

99 and 03 Malibu

By on Wednesday, February 06, 2008

"We have a 99 and 03 Malibu. Both were purchased with about 4,000mi. Both were used to commute about 50 mi per day in heavy highway traffic. 99 has about 200,000mi (hard to convert from Kilometers--we live in Toronto) and 03 has about 100,000 mi. Both are going strong with little work done beyond standard repairs. Would highly recommend this car."