1999 Chevrolet Malibu

6.8

Based on 939 Ratings for the 1997 - 2005 models.

7.4/10
    7.1/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.3/10

Major coolant issues

By on Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"This car was built to fail. Period. I have a 2003 malibu, and because of cheap parts in the engine and the coolant system along with the garbage dex cool anti-freeze that GM recommends you put in this car has destroyed and degrated almost the entire cooling system including: intake gaskets, radiator, and heator core. These repairs have cost me over $3,000, and as of right now that's more than the car is worth. This issue has mainly affected 6 cylinder, 2003 and older model GM cars. GM still continues to run dex cool anti-freeze even in their brand new models. You would think after GM had a class action law suit over this issue last year they would have discontinued the use of dex cool, and fixed the problem."

Keeps on ticking ....

By on Friday, July 31, 2009

"I bought it with 58K miles on it in 2005 for $5500.00. The car now has over 157,000 miles on it and it still runs great. Gets 34 mpg on highway and about 24 mpg in the city. The dreaded intake manifold gasket problem appeared at about 155k. Right now, it appears to be leaking externally and losing very little coolant. In any case, it's a well known and easily fixed problem, but you have to shop around for the best price. The lowest price I got from a mechanic is $200.00 plus parts. Debating on whether to repair or replace the car. This is probably the best car I've owned in terms of repairs and maintenance. Up to now it only needed brake pads & rotors, a battery, various lamps and filters, and a serpentine belt - parts that were low in price and I was able to do most of the work myself. The intake manifold gasket issue is more of an inconvenience than a financial burden. I've already have easily obtained my money's worth from this car."

nightmare car

By on Saturday, July 21, 2007

"I loved the looks and the feel since I bought the car - but it is a nightmare. It eats brakes, air conditioning problems, antitheft lock a nightmare since I bought the car (keeps coming on and you have to wait for 10 minutes before you can start the car again and cannot be repaired as it keeps happening over and over.) Check engine light keeps coming on. Now at 43,000 miles the intake gaskets need replaced which 2 dealers told me this is common with the Malibu. ($1000) The ultimate os that the paint is peeling off, 3 dealers told me it is a defect with the primer. GMAC will do nothing about the problems. Will never buy or recommend anyone to buy one. A friend is having the exact same problems."

1/4 of a Million Miles and she still runs!

By on Sunday, September 08, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, durable, Comfortable ride"

Cons: "ugly design, cheap interior"

"I own a 2001 Chevy Malibu. I live in the north country so It dosent look immaculate. I just bought the car a short while ago and this is what i have to say about it. at almost 250,000 miles it still running which surprises and delights me. Ive always loved Chevy Motors, and the 3.1 V6 did not disappoint. the Interior was cheaply built, the glove box wont stay shut and if you open it, it falls right off the hinges, haha. Other than being constructed poorly in the interior, I am very pleased with this car. Like any car they require maitenance and a little bit of wrenching and ratcheting. I feel like the Chevy Malibu has served me well and Id reccomend it to a friend. Luckily NO head Gasket Problems yet!! Im fixing the rust and adding a Vader body kit to the car in the spring. so shell look as good as she runs! Good Luck current and future Malibu Owners!"

Good value

By on Saturday, July 27, 2013

Pros: "good gas millage, dependable, peppy engine,comfort"

Cons: "plain body style, air could be colder, not many !!"

"Ive owned this car for four years and Its been very reliable. Have done the usual upkeep, tires, bearings and a battery. Normal stuff. Did have one larger repair, replacing the head gaskets, but very common for the model. Even with the repair, Its has been a great car. Not flashy, but dependable an comfortable and the front wheel drive has been quite good in the snow an rain. Overall I saved alot of money !!"

Very reliable vehicle and plenty of power

By on Thursday, May 24, 2012

Pros: "Great price"

Cons: "white"

"Is a great car with lots of V6 power, especially accelerating onto the freeway."

Great car! It has never let me down!

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Lots of space cargo, interior, affordable"

"I have owned this car since it was new. We have never had to replaced any major parts. I believe that if you maintain a car according to schedule it will last you forever. It’s great that the family is getting bigger but we will sure miss this thing."

I love it

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

"Reliable I would buy another one in a heartbeat!"

Still With Me

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "Great mileage, don't feel bad about beating it"

Cons: "Not sure how many miles I can trust her for."

"I bought this car three years ago today and have put almost 80,000 miles on it. I have driven it on interstates, dirt roads, through fields, with goats, dogs, and seed in the back seat. I've replaced the alternator, belt, tires, battery, and powersteering lines, all of which were still original (except tires). Little things have failed along the way, like both rear power windows, there's some rust, some cosmetic damage from putting it in the ditch and from blowing out a tire. The muffler sounds bad, the engine isn't as quiet as a new car by any means, but with the V6 I can pass anything I want to. Somehow I'm getting better mileage highway than this car was rated for new, and substantially more than the new one is rated for. I consistently get 30 mpg hwy, and have gotten up to 37 on a cross-country road trip. All in all, I have beaten the heck out of this car and it still runs quite well for what's been done to it (and what hasn't been)."

Overall this vehicle is a great car

By on Monday, October 17, 2011

Pros: "A great car to drive"

Cons: "Replacing rear tail lights"

"I have gotten good gas mileage on the highway; 35 miles to the gallon. In the last past two years I started having trouble with the transmission and constantly replacing the rear tail lights. I can saw after six years of driving my car; it was time to have some problems."