1998 Chevrolet Malibu

6.8

Based on 913 Ratings for the 1997 - 2005 models.

7.4/10
    7.1/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.6/10
    7.3/10

Good car!!

By on Sunday, July 13, 2014

Reason: Couldn't afford repairs, needed bigger vehicle

Pros: "Fun to drive, rides well"

Cons: "Faulty ignition"

"I owned this car for 7 years and it was very reliable to me. It drove and rode well and was mechanically sound for some time... but when it got to 100000 miles everything started wearing down and breaking. I traded it in because I was unable to afford the repairs but I was needing something bigger anyways."

nice starter car

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Pros: "nice starter car"

Cons: "age, wear and tear on original engine"

"needs front end work, new tires, RF wheel work"

Excellent value, very reliable

By on Thursday, May 22, 2014

Pros: "Excellent quality vehicle"

Cons: "No heated seats"

"I am the second owner and have put 125k miles on this car. It is my 2nd Malibu. I drove my first one for 150k. Excellent value. Great drive, dependable, nice features. Not luxurious but good quality. I would recommend a Malibu and wouldn't hesitate to buy another!"

like new runs grest daily driver 83000 miler

By on Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Pros: "quiet ride comfy great tires"

"for sale chevy malibu 3800$ runs great daily driver all repets for oil changes every 3000 miles since 35000miles when purched very cold air please call 18146296454 cell 18142418709"

Great car-got my $'s worth and more

By on Sunday, May 04, 2014

Pros: "Great price, reliable"

"I have really enjoyed driving my 2003 Chevy Malibu for 11 years. It has been a great car, only left me sitting one time when the fuel pump went out. Other repairs were maintenance for wear and tear. Really good visibility, good gas mileage especially for a V6, easy to drive. I will really miss this car. Unfortunately I test drove a 2014 Malibu and did not like it."

roomy and reliable

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, spacious, comfortable, good mpg"

Cons: "No mirror on passenger side visor"

"I love how much headroom and legroom there is in the Classic. Very comfortable ride, good gas mileage, and most reliable car I've owned. I used to drive all over Washington and Oregon, and for long drives it was always comfortable, which is rare for me, being 6 feet tall. Carseats fit easily into the back, trunk is large and can accommodate a stroller + Costco run + other odds and ends. I absolutely LOVE the driver's side cupholder and wish all cars had it."

Best little car I have ever owned.

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pros: "Love it !"

Cons: "None!"

"Love my little malibu, gona be Sooooooo sad if it ever stops on me our gets in a accident ;( But for now I'm loving it! :)"

love it

By on Friday, April 18, 2014

"This is the most reliable car I've ever owned. except for, I had a new key at at walmart and it set of the anti-theft. Ive read posts that people have replaced every different part in their cars and it ends up being the key. overall I love it."

good

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Pros: "good runner when working properly"

Cons: "do not want to drive until fixed too hard to steer"

"good running car but need rack and pinion"

constant problems

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

"constant problems"

This has been a great car. Roomy, good gas mileage

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "Roomy, Gas Mileage, Smooth Ride, Great Trunk space"

Cons: "Wish it had keyless entry"

"My car is the one everyone wants to go for long rides in. The trunk space in unlike any other. Room in back seat for even long legs. Great gas mileage. A smooth ride. I wish the new ones were made like this one."

Except for theft system light coming on-great car!

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

"I would like another Malibu but the gas mileage has not improved in the newer versions. The fact many are on the road with me which means they are all dependable. The miles have been both highway and stop-and-start city errands driving. As to looks was ahead of its time for all the other look-alike cars on the road. Lots of road noise, needs insulation under the floorboards. So reliable, so since that is the major reason I have kept the car, I have lived with its minor flaws."

2nd car

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "reliable, easy to drive"

Cons: "mine didnt have cruise control"

"I absolutely love my Malibu! She has gotten through so much. She can handle the snow and wet roads just fine and has no issues getting up to speed! When you take care of your car your car will take care of you! I had a minivan hit me and the Malibu didn't even have a mark! This car is a serious trooper!"

Completely ridiculous car

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable car when it actually works"

Cons: "everything mechanical breaks constantly"

"I bought this car used at 114,000 miles. In the two years I've had it, I've replaced the head gaskets, alternator, battery, power steering pump, and ignition switch. I've spent around $3000 on repairs, and now it's broken again. I'm ready to throw it in the trash and get a real car. I don't think I'll ever buy a Chevy again, and I would absolutely never recommend this car to anyone."

Amazing car, cried when I scrapped it

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

Pros: "Gas miles, super dependable, durable, roomy, comfy"

Cons: "Not a very pretty car, not best HP"

"I bought mt 99 Malibu in April '11 as a beater to get me around for 6-12 months so I could save up for a better car. I took what I could find. It had all its service records for the last 5 years so I took it. It was the best $1500 I ever spent. It had 112,000 miles when I bought it, and I just scrapped it in December with just over 160k miles. Let me start by saying, when I purchased the well taken care of car, the previous owner let me know it was in need of an oil change (he was a 3k miles oil change like clockwork kind of guy). I put it off, and forgot, and forgot some more, and the whole time I owned it I NEVER did get that oil change, however the oil was still pretty golden-ish a week before it was scrapped. The most money I had to put into it was an alternator in the summer of 13, and I replaced the rotors and breaks at that time as well. The big issue with it, was the cables between the battery needed replaced. But, it also needed new tires. I was going to put the money into the car, but the garage told me that my frame was rotted and was not likely to pass inspection in 5 months when it was needed again, and the break lines were in need of replacement as well. If the frame was salvageable, I would have sunk the money into the car (needed about $700 worth of work for it all fixed less the frame) but it wasnt worth it when I would only get 5 more months out of it. If the car was from anywhere other then the North (where we get tons of rot from all the salt on the road) I would be driving that car for another few years before needing any more work on it. And as ugly as the car was (mine had major body rust from the salt) I would have driven it til it falled apart. It is the most reliable car ever, and I will be replacing my temp car I currently have for a new malibu teh end of this summer!! Oh, when I bought the car, I almost immediately noticed a slight tranny slip. I had it looked over, and there was nothing wrong with the transmission or engine. It didnt have alot of HP, I think becuase of that issue, but my brother said it was likely a shift sensor (which is nothing to worry about). I only noticed it when I was going up hill about 45 MPH but you put your foot in it and force teh shift and all is fine. All in all, I did not take very good care of my car, and used it hard, I took long road trips all over the states, and it was so good to me. Great on gas, alot of room inside and a gigantic trunk. It also had a great factory radio. Sounded like I had a mediocre system put in it!!"

Personal Value

By on Sunday, March 09, 2014

Cons: "Not good for long distance drivers"

"Car should be used for short distances. It's been a family car since it was purchased."

Very good car. Owned by a Preachers wife.

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "Great car for the money."

Cons: "Due to age and kept outside has some minor flaws."

"Selling car due to death in family. Car was only driven to church and grocery stores. Only driven 3,000 miles in the last 4 years. The car has been very good and has been kept serviced by the dealer Courtesy Chevrolet since it was purchased there."

It's a great car

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "Gas saver, small, gets you to places alot quicker"

Cons: "No automatic windows"

"I've had my malibu for 5 years this month and it's gotten me to alot of places. I've never had any accidents in it and to say it's over 15 years old it's still in good condition. I didn't start having problems with it until like 2 years ago but that's because I wasn't doing what I was supposed to be doing such as getting oil changes, spark plugs, etc because that was my first car. But now that I've gotten the hang of having a car and knowing what to do, I think I will do good with the next car I get. This car can probably last me for at least another 5 years but I think it's time for something new. I'm young so you know how that goes lol!"

Was a very reliable car!

By on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pros: "Reliable and great looking car."

Cons: "Security system starting issue"

"My 2001 Malibu LS was a fantastic car. Engine, trans, brakes, suspension, wheel wear were all above average. The only issue we had was the theft system had a bug which would not allow the car to start. Had to leave key on ACC for 10 minutes to relearn the key but we got this fixed by overiding the system with a switch and that put a stop to that. Now we are handing the Malibu down to our daughter. !"

I have driven better, But its reliability is great

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, and has 6 air bags, great family car"

Cons: "not a lot of room"

"I have enjoyed driving this vehicle due to the reliability of the Malibu. The V6 engine though is a major gas gusler. I got 13 MPG, although I do only drive in the city."

Absolutely atrocious

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

Pros: "It did work sometimes"

Cons: "A laundry list of expensive repairs."

"Bought from dealer at 30,000, replaced intake at 80,000, now a bad cylinder at 130,000 on top of needing brakes just about every year, numerous sensor and catalytic converter issues, and a bad fuel pump that stranded me. I regret buying this car and I regret every single dollar of routine and non-routine maintenance that I poured into this pile of garbage because in the end it was not worth it. Instead of swapping the engine for 3000+ I am going to get a Camry, Accord or Civic that is older with more miles but I can actually feel some degree of confidence that it will not completely ruin me financially."

good car

By on Saturday, December 28, 2013

"paid 2thousand dollars 4 it drove it for two years replaced the intake gaskets drove it any place I wanted to go when I sold it it still ran and drove good used no oil and got 18 miles per gallon in the city was still a good car"

VERY AVERAGE

By on Friday, December 27, 2013

Pros: "Good fuel mileage (30 on the highway)"

Cons: "I Don't trust its dependability."

"I purchased my 2002 in July 2003. It had 21K (+) miles on it and was originally a rental car, whose first year was spent in Florida. In 10.5 years, I've put only 29K on it. The first problem I noticed was when I opened the spare tire compartment to find that water had been seeping (apparently) from the time it was new--the jack was covered with rust and had to replace that...my local Chevy dealer didn't bother to inspect it or if they did, didn't tell me about it; the weatherstripping leaked around the trunk opening. The turn signals quit working but this was a common recall and it was still under warranty for that. I personally replaced the front brake pads, about $40, saving some money there. I've had to replace a noisy, faulty alternator--$130, did that myself also, and most recently the engine intake gaskets ($640), exhaust system (hole in muffler)--$400 but the catalytic converter was salvageable, thank God, rear brake shoes and cylinders--$264, new battery $110--18 months ago. So you can see that even tho' I haven't driven much (3K/year on average), I still had to replace "stuff." So, even if you don't drive much, a car will still get into your bank account one way or another; it goes "downhill" just sitting still...!! The body's in very good shape--never garaged--never been hit--and I keep it waxed, esp. the hood, top and trunk which take most of the sun's punishment. I didn't do my "homework" before purchasing this car--Consumer Reports gave the '02 Malibu a lot of black marks, the '03s did somewhat better. I plan on keeping this car five more years because I had a trailer hitch put on several years ago and can put my bike rack on it (Reese hitch) and rarely, hook up my utility 4'x8' trailer. I think this car will be OK for 5 more years because of low annual mileage. By that time, I'll be ready to trade it in or sell it, probably going with a non-GMC product! It has been just "fair" over the past 10.5 years. Thanks for reading."

cant complain

By on Saturday, December 14, 2013

"when I bought this car it was between a camry and the Malibu.although at the time I would've preferred the Toyota it was $2000 more for the same year and mileage.as it turns out I definitely made the right choice,the car has been better than expected."

A mid range car reliable and best motor forthiscar

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

"a very nice inside desighn for 2000 well we bought our car when it had 137,000 miles on it and it still ran good no tap knock sounded very good so we bout it for 3,800 decent deel well at a 203,000 miles we ran it hot 3 times be for it quit on us well parts are very expensive bout two brand new heads for 275 from carquest and a compleate felpro gasket kit with headbolts,lifters,pushrods,waterpump,batery,oil screen, been flushed twice. 70% of the motor is brand new got about 460 dollars in everything and did it myself very easy to work on runs great have no problems with it its been now 3 years since ive done the work and still runs very good interior is 4/10 now but im getting new front seats and top"

See if you qualify for