1998 Chevrolet Malibu

6.8

Based on 946 Ratings for the 1997 - 2005 models.

7.4/10
    7.1/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.3/10

Worse car ever

By on Saturday, September 13, 2008

"Bought it brand new in 2000 and had to replace basically the entire front axle from the wheel hubs out. Brakes and parts countless times, Calipers (2x) Power window motors (2 windows) windshield washer motor, horn switch (1) relays (2) and that was when the car was under 40,000 miles. Now at 92,000 miles it now needs an intake manifold gasket to the tune of approx. $800.00 plus another brake job. I've maintained oilchanges and tire rotations since purchasing and recently tuned up the engine. However, I will not spend another dime on this vehicle.. nor will I ever purchase a Chevrolet product again."

Inexpensive, reliable car

By on Friday, January 09, 2009

"I really like my 2005 Chevy Classic. I bought it used in 2005 with 19,000 miles on it. I've had it over 3 years now and put an additional 40,000 miles on it and haven't had the first problem. It's comfortable enough that I drove 17 hours straight while 6 months pregnant from Colorado to Tennessee and then back again about 2 weeks ago with no problems! The only thing I've had to do is change the oil, and just last month replace the brake pads and tires. There's also enough room in the back seat for my children ages 13, 11, and 3 to sit comfortably with plenty of leg room."

By on Saturday, January 03, 2009

"Though this car doesn't get a great review. I've owned it for 10+ years and it has been a great car. I've kept it well maintained and plan to run it til it's on its last leg."

2001 Chevy Malubu

By on Sunday, November 09, 2008

"This car is a good value with many standard items such as ABS, AC, Automatic driving/night lights, etc. I have over 100,000 miles and besides oil changes, tune ups, brake pad and tire replacements, not major problem to date. Not fancy, but a good low priced American value car. Just don't leave the parking light on or put on manual head light on mode - you'll end up with dead battery later. Also, don't shut the door with car running - car will automatically lock itself."

Reliable, safe, great mpg

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, roomy, great for travel."

Cons: "The spare tire rattles"

"This vehicle was purchased used with low milage. In the 9 years that I have owned it it has needed minimal service, other than oil change, following the "book". I didn't take it to the dealer, which would have only added the cosmetic service, like oiling the doors, etc that I did myself. Milage per gallon is unbelievable. It has had a low of 22-23 mpg and a high of 33 mpg on a long trip."

Decent first car

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

Pros: "Doesnt Quit, cheapish repairs"

Cons: "Poor quality, will need repairs"

"Bought this 3 years ago with 120,000 miles immediately needed some repairs. The only pro is that parts and labor is relatively cheap. Cons are it will needed repairs almost every 2-3 months, its not put together that well. It is quite reliable seeing as though it doesnt completely die on you. I would recommend only if you need something cheap and dont mind shelling out ($150-400) every couple months."

Very reliable, economical, handles well

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "reliable, economical, handles well"

Cons: "little bit noisy on highway"

"Chevrolet makes good products, reliable, economical to operate and repair (when necessary), good design, practical and convenient to use."

Basic car for economy price, boring

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "value priced"

Cons: "poor mpg, cheap look and feel"

"no real problems, no power, cheap looking and feel, A/C switch problem should have been a no real problems, no power, cheap looking and feel, A/C switch problem should have been a recall"

Original owner, going strong at 82K+

By on Thursday, June 11, 2009

"I bought my 2003 Malibu brand new from the dealer in 2003. 6 years and 82,000+ miles later it's still going strong. We have never had any problems with this Malibu. We did have the brakes done at about 45-50,000 miles as expected, and have replaced the tires. We also change the oil every 3,000 miles. No other work has been needed! It is comfortable, reliable, and a pretty good looking sedan. (No rust yet either.) Yes, I would recommend my 2003 Malibu to a friend!"

wouldn't buy again

By on Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"This year of Malibu's had issues with piston slap. My car made it under the warranty with the first go around of piston slap, but withinn another 30,000 miles the piston slap started up again. Apparently GM used teflon coating which if I understood correctly warps, leaving excess room for the piston to move around, hence the slapping noise. This makes for a very noisy ride. Bought this brand new and had some other minor issues that were covered under the warranty, don't believe it was very well made."