1998 Chevrolet Malibu

6.8

Based on 943 Ratings for the 1997 - 2005 models.

7.4/10
    7.1/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.3/10

Good value

By on Saturday, July 27, 2013

Pros: "good gas millage, dependable, peppy engine,comfort"

Cons: "plain body style, air could be colder, not many !!"

"Ive owned this car for four years and Its been very reliable. Have done the usual upkeep, tires, bearings and a battery. Normal stuff. Did have one larger repair, replacing the head gaskets, but very common for the model. Even with the repair, Its has been a great car. Not flashy, but dependable an comfortable and the front wheel drive has been quite good in the snow an rain. Overall I saved alot of money !!"

bestestr car ever

By on Saturday, March 06, 2010

"this is in reference to the 2005 chevy classic (malibu) I bought mine with 14,000 miles in dec 2005, It now has 130,000 miles and i have not had to do one thing to it other than regular maintance.It gets 26mpg city 32 highway. I have taken in on long trips and the ride is smooth and comfy. the center console did wiggle loose but my husband fixed it with no problem or cost. It has wonderfull large windows for great visability (wish my impala did) Its not a sporty car in looks,but its not ugly either."

Cost a fortune in repairs!

By on Wednesday, December 30, 2009

"I purchased this used with 20,000 miles and got the balance of the warranty. At 60,000 miles, just when the warranty expired, it began to fall apart. A new fuel pump ($700). A new key cylinder lock ($800). It was just obsurd...the key wouldn't turn and they had to drill it out! A new motor for the power windows ($200). At 80,000 the head gasket blew ($2,000)! Then it began sqealing as a bearing was going out! This never missed an oil change or service. Too bad, because it was a comfortable ride! We bought another model car at the same time as this mailibu and it never had a single repair like that. Same mileage and drivers."

Malibu

By on Saturday, January 31, 2009

"decent car but better have a good mechanic that you trust. I had the car since 2002. Bought it with 8000 mies and now has 108,000. Car drives and handles well when everthing is working good. The bad (my experience): I have replaced the brakes and roters several times, ABS sensors come on when ever it rains, A/c works sometimes. A/C-heater fan only works on setting 3. Replaced alternator. Replaced Key tumbler (car had to be towed for repair). Anti-theft system malfunctioned and disabled the vehicle (car had to be towed for repair). Passenger window stopped working. The good: Engine and transmisson performance is alway been pretty good. Car handles well even at fast highway speeds."

Worse car ever

By on Saturday, September 13, 2008

"Bought it brand new in 2000 and had to replace basically the entire front axle from the wheel hubs out. Brakes and parts countless times, Calipers (2x) Power window motors (2 windows) windshield washer motor, horn switch (1) relays (2) and that was when the car was under 40,000 miles. Now at 92,000 miles it now needs an intake manifold gasket to the tune of approx. $800.00 plus another brake job. I've maintained oilchanges and tire rotations since purchasing and recently tuned up the engine. However, I will not spend another dime on this vehicle.. nor will I ever purchase a Chevrolet product again."

Dependable vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2008

"I bought a used 01 Malibu in 04. Let me tell you the typical problems you could expect from this vehicle. 1st off, the major problem with this car is the engine. GM has a problem with the 3.1, 3.2 and 3.7 liter engines with having the lower intake gasket going bad after 100k. So expect that. 2nd, the brakes are a common problem as well. If you are looking to get one, invest in better brakes. Other than that, those are the 2 most common problems I have had to face. If you are looking to get one, ask to see if those 2 issues have been handled. I bought the car for 5k and have spent less than 1k in repairs total so all in all, it has been a very dependable car for me. Alot of people complained about spark plugs, tires and other normal replacements for any car. Its nonsense. What would you expect after 100k? Any car will perform as well as you treat it."

Problems!

By on Sunday, October 21, 2007

"I bought this vehicle with about 55k milage and I owned it for just about three years. Nothing but problems! When I first bought it it ran great and looked great but it was all downhill from there. First problem was the blinkers stopped working properly so I had to rely on hand signals until I could get to the dealer to get the hazard switch. Put it in myself because they wanted to charge me $150 to put it in despite a well-documented history of problems with the switch in this car AND an effective recall on the switches. Chevy claimed my VIN was outside of the recall. Next came a lot of little annoyances based on the cheaply made interior parts to the car, I had to replace a lot of little switches and things. Relays for the A/C burned out and had to be replaced, then the A/C died altogether. Head gasket blew and caused thousands of dollars of engine repair work, I was out of a car for two weeks during finals at college. When I finally ditched it the battery was draining for no reason anyone could find and one of the front wheels was starting to make weird clunking sounds. Something was starting to feel strange in just driving it, I'm not sure but it felt like it could have been a transmission problem."

My advice to you...pass on this car!

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"I was a naive 21 year old who knew nothing about cars when I bought my Malibu. I've had nothing but problem after problem after problem with it. Not even a full 15 minutes after I bought it, I noticed that the turn signals would randomly turn on and off by themselves when I had them on to signal that I was about to make a turn. I found that really odd. I should have taken it back to the dealer, but I though "No biggie, I can get it fixed." Later in summer , I noticed that the air conditioning settings #1 and 2 didn't work at all! I had to use settings 3, 4 or 5 and then the air kept shutting off. I live in a state that gets severely hot and no A/C in a somewhat brand new car is just wrong! I kept up on maintenance as I should have. The freaking car broke down and it was problem after problem. The fuel pump went bad. Threw out $500 to fix it. This year, the radiator cracked, the water pump was bad, my my radiator hoses were practically useless....and so much more. Basically, everything in this car broke down all at once. After borrowing money from friends and my mother and maxing out 2 credit cards, I was able to get the things on the car fixed. The amount I paid for repairs is almost 1/2 the blue book value of this car. It is SO not worth it! I have 2 friends with Malibus who are getting rid of them as I speak. This car is dangerous and GM should be ashamed to let these things be available to the public. The only positive thing I will say is that the inside of the car is very comfortable."

Beware Gasket Problem

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"I love the way this car handles and how it looks. However watch for 3 major problems. I've had to replace the intake valve gasket twice. The first time was at about 60,000 miles and again about 2 years later. This is a problem with all of these engines (V6). Also the front wheel bearings went out prematurely and the air cond compressor quit at about 100,000 miles."

Fun car until coolant problems

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "After 70,000mils starts having coolant problems"

"My father and I both owned 2003 Malibu's. We really enjoyed owning and driving them. They were great on gas mileage and gave a smooth ride. The only problem with these cars were they both had coolant problems after 70,000 miles, and was an expensive repair that we couldn't afford."

I have driven better, But its reliability is great

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, and has 6 air bags, great family car"

Cons: "not a lot of room"

"I have enjoyed driving this vehicle due to the reliability of the Malibu. The V6 engine though is a major gas gusler. I got 13 MPG, although I do only drive in the city."

A mid range car reliable and best motor forthiscar

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

"a very nice inside desighn for 2000 well we bought our car when it had 137,000 miles on it and it still ran good no tap knock sounded very good so we bout it for 3,800 decent deel well at a 203,000 miles we ran it hot 3 times be for it quit on us well parts are very expensive bout two brand new heads for 275 from carquest and a compleate felpro gasket kit with headbolts,lifters,pushrods,waterpump,batery,oil screen, been flushed twice. 70% of the motor is brand new got about 460 dollars in everything and did it myself very easy to work on runs great have no problems with it its been now 3 years since ive done the work and still runs very good interior is 4/10 now but im getting new front seats and top"

Solid, but flaky electrical

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "Looks, ride, radio, fuel mileage"

Cons: "Flaky electrical, uses expensive Dex-Cool"

"Nice looking car, 32 mpg Highway, good ride for it's size. COLD A/C, Good sounding radio, quiet when wanted. Dashboard lights don't work, window raising hardware is flaky.In the morning, the engine sounds like a bucket of bolts until it warms up. Half a can of STP cured that. A great commuter car, but if you can, get the manual windows. Bought it for $2300 at an auction. Overall rating: C+. GM is trying, but not quite hard enough to compete head-to-head with Ford....."

pretty good

By on Thursday, July 05, 2012

Pros: "great ac and hot air and lots of cup holders."

Cons: "you feel the bumps in the road."

"its got its flaws but overall the car is great."

awesome fuel economy!

By on Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pros: "great gas mileage, very reliable"

Cons: "the interior quality could have been better"

"We have owned our Malibu for 9 years and absolutely love it. We have gotten 32mpg on the highway from our V6 engine which is great for this sized vehicle and engine. We had one issue with the transmission when it was a few months out of warranty but GM covered the problem with no questions asked and stood behind their vehicle even when they didn't have to. Other than that, no unusual issues in almost 70,000 miles! Thanks Chevy for the great car"

Reliable, safe, great mpg

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, roomy, great for travel."

Cons: "The spare tire rattles"

"This vehicle was purchased used with low milage. In the 9 years that I have owned it it has needed minimal service, other than oil change, following the "book". I didn't take it to the dealer, which would have only added the cosmetic service, like oiling the doors, etc that I did myself. Milage per gallon is unbelievable. It has had a low of 22-23 mpg and a high of 33 mpg on a long trip."

Decent first car

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

Pros: "Doesnt Quit, cheapish repairs"

Cons: "Poor quality, will need repairs"

"Bought this 3 years ago with 120,000 miles immediately needed some repairs. The only pro is that parts and labor is relatively cheap. Cons are it will needed repairs almost every 2-3 months, its not put together that well. It is quite reliable seeing as though it doesnt completely die on you. I would recommend only if you need something cheap and dont mind shelling out ($150-400) every couple months."

Very reliable, economical, handles well

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "reliable, economical, handles well"

Cons: "little bit noisy on highway"

"Chevrolet makes good products, reliable, economical to operate and repair (when necessary), good design, practical and convenient to use."

Basic car for economy price, boring

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "value priced"

Cons: "poor mpg, cheap look and feel"

"no real problems, no power, cheap looking and feel, A/C switch problem should have been a no real problems, no power, cheap looking and feel, A/C switch problem should have been a recall"

Original owner, going strong at 82K+

By on Thursday, June 11, 2009

"I bought my 2003 Malibu brand new from the dealer in 2003. 6 years and 82,000+ miles later it's still going strong. We have never had any problems with this Malibu. We did have the brakes done at about 45-50,000 miles as expected, and have replaced the tires. We also change the oil every 3,000 miles. No other work has been needed! It is comfortable, reliable, and a pretty good looking sedan. (No rust yet either.) Yes, I would recommend my 2003 Malibu to a friend!"

wouldn't buy again

By on Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"This year of Malibu's had issues with piston slap. My car made it under the warranty with the first go around of piston slap, but withinn another 30,000 miles the piston slap started up again. Apparently GM used teflon coating which if I understood correctly warps, leaving excess room for the piston to move around, hence the slapping noise. This makes for a very noisy ride. Bought this brand new and had some other minor issues that were covered under the warranty, don't believe it was very well made."

Inexpensive, reliable car

By on Friday, January 09, 2009

"I really like my 2005 Chevy Classic. I bought it used in 2005 with 19,000 miles on it. I've had it over 3 years now and put an additional 40,000 miles on it and haven't had the first problem. It's comfortable enough that I drove 17 hours straight while 6 months pregnant from Colorado to Tennessee and then back again about 2 weeks ago with no problems! The only thing I've had to do is change the oil, and just last month replace the brake pads and tires. There's also enough room in the back seat for my children ages 13, 11, and 3 to sit comfortably with plenty of leg room."

By on Saturday, January 03, 2009

"Though this car doesn't get a great review. I've owned it for 10+ years and it has been a great car. I've kept it well maintained and plan to run it til it's on its last leg."

2001 Chevy Malubu

By on Sunday, November 09, 2008

"This car is a good value with many standard items such as ABS, AC, Automatic driving/night lights, etc. I have over 100,000 miles and besides oil changes, tune ups, brake pad and tire replacements, not major problem to date. Not fancy, but a good low priced American value car. Just don't leave the parking light on or put on manual head light on mode - you'll end up with dead battery later. Also, don't shut the door with car running - car will automatically lock itself."

Very Reliable

By on Sunday, October 12, 2008

"This is onre of the cars you can really appreciate. The 3.1L V6 Performs superbly.The car has NEVER left me stranded on the side of the road. Its Just An American car that can last you for several years if you treat it right. By the way ive had it 10 years Chevy Malibu, "Built To Love, Built to LAST""