1997 Chevrolet Malibu

6.9

Based on 951 Ratings for the 1997 - 2003 models.

7.4/10
    7.2/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.3/10

By on Saturday, January 03, 2009

"Though this car doesn't get a great review. I've owned it for 10+ years and it has been a great car. I've kept it well maintained and plan to run it til it's on its last leg."

Sharp, comfortable, handles well

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Pros: "Good styling, handles good, comfortable."

Cons: "antitheft not good desigh."

"2nd owner. Was Exec car before me. Put approx 100000 mi on car. antitheft was annoying due to key switch/had it disabled. New engine installed 95000 mi. due to head gasket leak. Otherwise very reliable. Very sharp car with white leather seats and special dk blue paint that shows maroon tint in sunlight. Very comfortable, drives and handles great."

wouldn't buy again

By on Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"This year of Malibu's had issues with piston slap. My car made it under the warranty with the first go around of piston slap, but withinn another 30,000 miles the piston slap started up again. Apparently GM used teflon coating which if I understood correctly warps, leaving excess room for the piston to move around, hence the slapping noise. This makes for a very noisy ride. Bought this brand new and had some other minor issues that were covered under the warranty, don't believe it was very well made."

Basic 4 door sedan just regular maintenance.

By on Sunday, January 10, 2016

Pros: "Basic sedan with lots of replacement parts."

Even the cats like the Chevy Classic.

"We bought this in 2004 brand new. It takes a beating in the New England winters but hardly any rust over all. Put a new Catalytic Converter on at 145,000 miles due to a clog. Most maintence I do myself per the Manufactures suggestions. I have switched to all synthetic oils and fluids at 100,000 miles still runs the same. I have had very few issues with this car and I do love the style and minimal computer controls so I can buy OEM parts from Amazon and replace them myself. I must say for the money spent, over 12 years I have enjoyed more comfortable safe driving than I have spent on loan and repairs. I have made a few upgrades by pulling from the large amount of this model found in junk yards around my area. Power seat upgrade, replace rug, replace interior roof liner replacement warn parts like power window units all from Junk yard."

Even the cats like the Chevy Classic.

Excellent vehicle

By on Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, comfortable. grt mileag"

Cons: "wish it has front split bench seat"

"this is an excellent vehicle for 15 years old. Has a few paint bubbles and small rust spots. body is in really good condition. Avg 27-31 mpg. Fairly quiet on the road. Still fully functional. will drive it well over 300k miles. Great mileage."