"Purchased the 2004 Chevy Classic used back in 2005 with about 35K miles on it. It was my primary driving to work car for 10 years and almost 200K more miles. I finally donated it to the Salvation Army after the timing chain tensioner failed again at 233625 miles. Over 10 years the sealed transmission was never touched, the fluid was never changed and I never had any transmission issues. The engine was still Ok but did start burning some oil after about 200K miles. Following are the issues that I had and have found to be common with this car:
1. The anti-theft ignition switch had to be replaced - a common malfunction cost $500 to fix.
2. Fuel pump had to be replaced -about $1000. Mostly labor.
3. AC switch shuts off on it's own, just a pain.
4. Timing chain tensioner failed- the first time at 200,060 miles. I had it fixed for about $1000 it sounded like a diesel engine for several weeks before it failed one day on startup. 2 years later it unexpectantly failed when starting again, that was its demise. It always started on the first try, the times it didn't, it had to be towed.
5. Power steering leak - a fairly minor issue for several years ongoing.
Overall, it was a good basic car, decent acceleration and a good line of sight, easy to find parts in a junkyard as they are all the same as the 1997-2003 malibus. Eventually, I had parts from 4 different years on my car."
"Well maintained auto that had the lower end re-sealed because it was a leaker. Now no leaks pluss when apart new mains and bearings were installed at 110,000 miles. Car presently used as a tow vechile for our motor home and our personal vechile while in Florida. Has a Blue Ox towing plate and wiring system installed. Newer tires installed at 108,000 miles. All mileages used are approximate based on memory. Sale of this vechile contingent upon motor home selling first. Presently in Michigan"
"My Malibu has run for forever and I'm just now getting to the point where I want to get a new car - it's reliable and gets me from A to B with very few issues.
I drove it with over 100k miles round trip over 4k miles and it ran great the whole trip."