1997 Chevrolet Malibu

6.8

Based on 922 Ratings for the 1997 - 2005 models.

7.4/10
    7.1/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.3/10

First Car and No Complaints

By on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pros: "interior light dimmer, automatic lights"

Cons: "avg. gas mileage for today's standards"

"I got this car as a hand-me-down with ~98,000 miles on it and we always took good care of the car. I have taken it on many road trips and it does fine. I do my part keeping the interior and exterior clean. Though my model does not feature the sunroof or cd player as I have seen in other models I have learned they are not a necessity and I have made it work without them. What I like most about the car is the automatic lights and the interior light dimmer. Comfortably fits 3 adult passengers and the trunk has plenty of room. For as long as I can remember the front left quarter panel squeaks but it has not been an issue."

Very reliable car

By on Thursday, July 11, 2013

"We bought this car used, I think 2007. It has not given us a bit of trouble. The only thing we have replaced besides tires, oil etc was a right front wheel hub bearing. It has been very economical, even though there is nothing cosmetically special about it."

Excellent value, great car.

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, tasteful styling and lines. Reliable."

Cons: "Passkey I system, PIA."

"Heard all kinds of bad things about this car. WRONG! Bought it with 87,000 miles. Now @ 110,000 no problems. Car is a rock. Runs great. I love the comfort of the car. For what would be called a "midsize" it is roomy and comfortable, even with 4 large adults loaded. Trunk is cavernous. I like the low lift over and cargo net. Love the looks of the car, the long wheel base. I think it still looks very sharp. Small things, typical at its age: Passkey gave me problems, had a new key cut, problem solved. Driver side power window quit working, inconvenient, but the a/c works well, so, not sweating it right now. Cheap fix. Other than that, nothing. Interior cloth has worn extremely well. No breaks, no fading. Still looks quite good. I don't know why so many write horrible reviews on this car. I have not experienced any of these. I will say, if you look around, you can hardly drive up to the supermarket without seeing at least a dozen of them on the road. So, that must say something about their durability and reliability."

Poor Quality

By on Sunday, June 23, 2013

Pros: "The windows work"

Cons: "It's a GM product"

"This is a car I would not recommend. The quality and reliability of this car is poor. I have all of the problems that are commonly referred to on web sites for complaints about the Malibu. The A/C only works on high speed, the windshield wipers only work on high, the anti theft system comes on for no apparent reason and delays starting the car. The anti theft system was repaired per Chevy specs, but still is acting up. I contacted Chevy customer service, but they were unwilling to help in any manner. I own and have owned Japanese products that have gone over 100,000 miles with only very minor repairs. I will not buy another GM product as I think their quality and customer service is very poor. I understand why they have had such financial problems."

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "It's a Malibu Nuff Said"

Cons: "No armrests"

"I have just about seen every possible variant of my car From the base sedan up to my LS I see the newer ones and I am proud I own a popular Generation of it I have owned my car for 6 years since I became the second owner and have spent a great deal on this to make it a safe reliable and clean car for whom ever in my family needs to use it of my car I will say this I bought it with 18,000 miles on it it now reads 53,153 not bad for an 11 year old car huh? Yeah I don't drive it much and use it on days where the weather warnts usage IE rain or snow"

Basic, has a few issues but gets me around town.

By on Monday, May 27, 2013

"Overall, this car's basic, nothing catastrophic has gone wrong with it in the six months I've owned it, which is impressive given that it's verging on 300K miles. All of the issues I've had with this car pertain to the electrical system. Like others, I've had issues with the ignition; the car stays partially in ACC mode on occasion (about half of the time), which can be an expensive fix. To avoid paying for repairs, I manually disconnect the battery whenever I park when this issue occurs. Another issue I've had with this car is to do with the theft system, it has triggered on me twice so that the car won't start. However, this hasn't been an overarching issue and resetting it is rather easy and only takes 10 minutes. On to the good: the car has a V6 and is fun to drive, it's not the roomiest vehicle inside but can comfortably sit four adults, and five uncomfortably. The power windows are a nice addition. I own a 2001 and probably get about 18mpg city, and about 26mpg highway, not bad for a 2001 V6. I'd recommend this vehicle if you manage to get your hands on it cheap and don't mind dealing with a few pesky electrical issues. My car may be a fluke, but the fact that it has this many miles on it without needing major repairs probably speaks well on the part of the major components of this vehicle."

Solid, but flaky electrical

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "Looks, ride, radio, fuel mileage"

Cons: "Flaky electrical, uses expensive Dex-Cool"

"Nice looking car, 32 mpg Highway, good ride for it's size. COLD A/C, Good sounding radio, quiet when wanted. Dashboard lights don't work, window raising hardware is flaky.In the morning, the engine sounds like a bucket of bolts until it warms up. Half a can of STP cured that. A great commuter car, but if you can, get the manual windows. Bought it for $2300 at an auction. Overall rating: C+. GM is trying, but not quite hard enough to compete head-to-head with Ford....."

Driveline OK but overall, not put together well.

By on Friday, May 10, 2013

Pros: "Good MPG, smooth ride."

Cons: "Hard to work on, cheap interior."

"It had 21K on it in 2003 when purchased by me. It now has 48K, or 27K mi. in the last 10 years, so it hasn't been driven much in that time. New alternator at about 45K, new front brake pads @ 44K, the windshield washer tank leaks, the power mirrors quit working (gradually). Turnsignal/4-way flasher problem but the warranty covered that. It's an inexpensive car to begin with and you get what you pay for. Consumer Reports has a lot of black marks for the 2002 models; the 2003s were somewhat better--more red marks. My car's very average, nothing to brag about."

Good car to get around been very reliable

By on Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Pros: "Good price, reliable"

Cons: "Upholstery is dirty and has burns from cigarettes"

"Car runs fine, need to sell due to having too many cars around. Broken back window that I am fixing, interior is not good, has cigarette burns and is dirty. Exterior has no dents but some peeling paint. Color is white. Willing to sell for $2500 which is $1000 below kelly blue book."

Solid Car, Great Value, Boring as ever

By on Saturday, May 04, 2013

Pros: "Inexpensive, Powerful Engine"

Cons: "Poor Gas Mileage, Boring, Poor Resale Value"

"This was the 2nd car I have purchased. I bought my 2002 Chevy Malibu Base in 2005 with 36K miles on it for $7,800. For the price it has been quite the value. It now has 159K miles on it and I am actually surprised it is still running. It has had some issues. The anti-theft system Passlock was faulty as it is in many early 2000 GM vehicles. (My mother's '04 Grand Am had the same problem.) It required a replacement of the ignition which was costly. The turn signals stopped working which was luckily covered under a special recall. I have replaced the rotors at least 4 times. The fuel pump failed about 6 months ago and that was another costly repair. The car has an issue with rust. I live in a cold climate and the undercarriage looks like a ship-wreck and there is rust building above the wheel wells. The interior is boring with a lot of hard plastics. It also has only 2 strangely small cup-holders in strange locations. The engine has never given me any problems, but within the last few years the transmission has started slipping. With all of that said, there have been some positives to owning this vehicle. It is a great value and despite the aforementioned issues it has actually been very reliable over the past 8 years. The 3.1L engine is very powerful (although it does not perform anywhere near as well as when I purchased it.) The trunk is large, but the rear leg room is surprisingly small for a car of it's size. Overall it has been an acceptable vehicle that has got me through my college years and beyond. It is epitome of basic and lacks style. GM clearly agrees as their tagline for the new 2008 Malibu was "Soon there will be a car you can't ignore." There are clearly better cars out there, but I would have to say if I had to go back I would likely buy the car again."

This car has been very reliable.

By on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Pros: "It's not expensive, very affordable."

Cons: "Hard to get in and out of. It's not comfortable."

"This is a very good car as far as being reliable. I have never had any major issues with it in all of the 10 years of driving it. However there is a design flaw in the interior of the car. You have to lift up your legs to get into the car and sometimes it is hard to get out of the vehicle because of this high instep."

I love the Malibu!

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "Excellent gas mileage, affordable, smooth ride."

Cons: "minimal color options, Dex-cool only"

"I love my car. My '99 Malibu gets excellent gas mileage and has always been a faithful car! Runs great and I've never been disappointed. It was my first car and I want to die owning a Chevy Malibu. <3"

I Love This Car

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "great car"

Cons: "no cruise control"

"I have owned this car 13 years and just now did i have to do major repairs. in 2 weeks 2,550.00 the first time in the shop and 850.00 the second time. reguardless of the price parts r not going to hold like a 200 thousand year old village. this car has been great for me and my family. It is one of the best cars i ever bought."

Not a reliable car to drive.

By on Sunday, March 31, 2013

Pros: "Drives good, and front seats com lots of trunk rm"

Cons: "Lots of engine problems crashrating on sides bad."

"This car has problems with the ignition switch in which there were no recalls for. This ignition switch is not covered by any warranty, and it is not covered by extended warranty. It is hooked into the antitheft device. The car will stop running for no reason. You can be driving down the road at any speed or even sitting still and the car will stop running. Same thing if you go out to start the car. Thank goodness my husband is a mechanic. He fixed a lot of parts on this car. This car has problems with oil leaks, gas leak, water leaking from that little white water tank that keeps your engine cool. Fuel pump went out. Surging problems. Everytime I turned around the car needed to be fixed. The back seats are not comfortable for an adult. Kids are fine. Mechanical wise this cars is a piece a junk. Lots of sensors with the car maybe defective."

its a good car, bought it because i love a Chevy!

By on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pros: "good tight suspension"

Cons: "no cruise control"

"its a good car, bought it off my dad for $500 for my girlfriend. i know my cars and i believe the 3.1 is one of the best motors ever made, mainly by Chevy!"

got this car used cc

By on Thursday, March 07, 2013

"Car shut off will driving.horns does, t work...got this car for my kid....20000 plus another 1400 in to it...can anyone help???"

NEVER BUY THE CAR!

By on Friday, March 01, 2013

Pros: "Large trunk, roomy"

Cons: "Awful, low quality, a low for Chevy"

"Where to begin! The only person the anti theft system has prevented driving this car is myself! This car has to have something replaced or fixed every six months. It is currently outside not running, like usual."

DO NOT BUY

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Reason: mechanical problems

Pros: "None"

Cons: "Terrible quality"

"Same problems as everyone else. Bought at dealer for $3500 w/102000 miles. Within a month had problems with AC (controls on 3-4-5; not 1 or 2), turn signals, headlamp. The biggest problem was that the engine would shut off after driving for 30+ miles. Lot's of fun when this happened on busy highways. Took back to dealer who told me $1400 to fix 2 leaks and bad head gasket. Got $2000 for trade-in on it. Owned for 6 months."

This is an awesome car for a used vehicle!

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pros: "conservative price, lasting value"

Cons: "2002 has a big old flasher instead of fuse"

"Like any used vehicle it has its issues, but this car hasn't given me any serious problems at all. In fact, I live in a City that have some real serious winters (Chicago) and I have traveled back and forth from Chicago to Indy in the car for over 3 years and the car has sat up for days, the lastest over a month without me starting it up and when I got in it the other day VROOOMMM without any problem. I don't even drive the car because I bought a newer one last year. Think about it, of all GM's vehicles the Malibu is quite often still seen on the road even the antique ones!"

GREAT CHEAP CAR

By on Friday, February 01, 2013

Pros: "power everything, good in snow and goood mpg"

Cons: "four cylinder engine"

"This car is easy to maintain, easy to repair and goood on gas."

AVOID THIS CAR LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pros: "Interior is okay, I guess..."

Cons: "Doesn't hold value, breaks down all the time"

"Please, don't be stupid like I was! The 2002 Malibu is quite possibly the worst car ever made. I have had to put over $5,000 worth of repairs into it over the past 2 years, and the car STILL needs work! I don't care why you're considering a Malibu, just don't do it..."

Stylish, Pleasure To Drive, Some Mechanical Issues

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "Drive/Handling, Appearance, Structurally Sound"

Cons: "Electrical, Anti-theft, Engine (gasket) Issues"

"I bought mine (2002 model) used with 35K miles about a year and a half old. I've had it over nine years now. The car can seat 4 adults comfortably or up to five. It's strongest points are driving dynamics and design. Good leg room, comfortable vehicle. Good riding vehicle for the most part and relatively quite. The Malibu is a nice driving car with attractive exterior and interior. Structurally, it is very good quality in relation to the body though I've had several mechanical issues electrically and with one engine issue. I had to replace a leaking engine gasket at around 140K miles that cost me just under a $1000 which my nephew did so it would normally be more than that. I replaced the hazard switch that was cause for some electrical irregularity in signaling as well as the ignition switch. The power steering has become a little noisy while cold during the winter in the last two years. I have had considerable issues with the anti-theft system where you have to go though a sequence of clearing out a false read requiring waiting with the ignition switch on till the indicator light stops blinking before it will start. It has done it with regularity off and on and then will not do it for a long time before doing it again the last couple years or so. This can obviously prove quite irritating. The functionality of electric door lock switches have a tendency to be a little loose and hesitant locking/unlocking manually. They don't always work right away and the auto lock off/on no longer is operational. The radio and sound is good though my CD player discontinued working loading and ejecting discs. Aside from the gasket issue, the 3.1 L engine provides more than amble performance with decent gas mileage. At 170K miles, it uses very little oil, about 1/2 quart between changes. The body is sound, has a good paint finish that is virtually unblemished and hardly any rust. This includes quite a bit of time not being garaged and winter driving with salt here. Some of the issues I've experienced could partially be attributed to my living out in the country with dust. Gas mileage I get is typically 16-17 mpg city, 24-26 range highway. The two things I would suggest if you are considering buying are inquiring about the theft deterrent system if it is working properly. And, in particular if and when the engine (manifold) gasket has been replaced. These engines that are in other GM models are known for the issue arising from time to time so I'd pay especially close attention to any indication of leaking. The Chevy Malibu overall has been a good car for me personally aside from a couple reliability issues that were relatively costly and inconvenient."

Serious Mechanical Problems with engine

By on Saturday, December 08, 2012

Pros: "Cops don't notice it. Blends in to a crowd well"

Cons: "Unreliable"

"I bought this car with 72,000 miles and thought it would be a good value. Shortly after buying it, there was found to be a coolant leak. A mechanic told me even before looking at it that this engine often develops a coolant leak through the head gasket. It believed that GM's required coolant appears to cause this corrosion and recommended not using it even though the manufacturer insists that no other brand should be used. The repair only required a new head gasket and a few minor parts but was very labor intensive so ended up being quite expensive. Shortly after this repair, a crankshaft bearing failed at about 80,000 miles and replacing the engine was less expensive than repair. I should not have replaced the engine but I did. Since then, minor electrical problems and various mechanical systems have kept my mechanic busy. I keep hoping that the bleeding will stop but there doesn't seem to be any end to the minor problems. I bought the Malibu for my daughter to learn to drive. She prefers to drive our old Subaru Forester despite having minor body damage and 160,000 miles on it. She will drive my 92 Chevy work truck rather than have to drive the Malibu."

reliable, quiet engine , smooth ride , owned 10 yr

By on Monday, November 19, 2012

Pros: "depedable"

Cons: "only 2 cupholders tends to rust around gas door"

"caveat: rust around gas door rear panel see many like this"

Worst car ever!!!!!!!!

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Pros: "lights, radio signal,"

Cons: "horrible on gas milage,a/c sucks,and everything"

"I bought this car used. Was told it was never in an accident but it turns out it was and ever since then the car has been horrible on gas, air conditioning and heating, the powered windows always get stuck or jamed. This is a safe car but not if it was in an accident."